Topic Stats

• 1,339 posts
  • 131 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by Cinder143
  • Topic is favorited by 44 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 332 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

8603186D-8945-491E-B338-E6D44608998B (resized).jpeg
1.0.12 (resized).jpg
1.0.3 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181101_1740089 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
12-10-2018 11-54-26 AM (resized).png
2018-11-30 21_32_14-20171020_003438 - Windows Photo Viewer (resized).png
20181102_232034 (resized).jpg
2018-11-01 13_45_20-https___www.ipdb.org_files_3596_Capcom_1995_Pinball_Magic_Manual.pdf - Internet  (resized).png
20181101_040615 (resized).jpg
20180720_234505 (resized).jpg
Pinball Magic  Pinball Decals. In restoration Mikonos1.jpg
Pinball Magic Right Side Art Decal. In restoration Mikonos1.jpg
Pinball Magic Right Backbox Decal.  In restoration Mikonos1.jpg
Pinball Magic Front Art. In restoration Mikonos1.jpg
image (resized).jpeg

There are 1339 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 27.
#1301 12 days ago

Well, the issues persist

In fact they seem worse than before. After getting 2 locked balls in the trunk the shooter lane kicker kept firing as before. I played multiball, and it kept feeding balls to the shooter lane. This went on for about 3 minutes then it stopped. Once all balls drained the machine just sat there as if there was a ball in the shooter lane waiting to play. No ball search, nothing.

Maybe it's time to call a professional.

#1302 11 days ago

Time to change the transmitter optos in the trunk trunk.

Do you have the original trough opto boards?

#1303 11 days ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Time to change the transmitter optos in the trunk trunk.
Do you have the original trough opto boards?

The trough opto boards are Great Lakes Modular replacements. They don't seem to make them anymore. Is there another source?

I did do the trunk optos, but will check them again

Chris

#1304 11 days ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

The trough opto boards are Great Lakes Modular replacements. They don't seem to make them anymore. Is there another source?

I am asking about the original trough boards. Do you have them?

I did do the trunk optos, but will check them again

Please describe what it is you replaced? Transmitters and receivers or transmitters only?

#1305 11 days ago

I am asking about the original trough boards. Do you have them?

Please describe what it is you replaced? Transmitters and receivers or transmitters only?

I will have to check and see if I still have the originals.

I replaced both transmitters and receivers in the Trunk.

Chris

#1306 10 days ago

Did you check the switch in the shooter lane?

#1307 9 days ago

I will have to check and see if I still have the originals.
I replaced both transmitters and receivers in the Trunk.

You tested all the switches and optos in the switch edge test to be sure everything is registering?

#1308 8 days ago

You tested all the switches and optos in the switch edge test to be sure everything is registering?

I did, a while ago. Will do again.

Chris

#1309 8 days ago

I did, a while ago. Will do again.

What is the result again?

#1310 8 days ago

OK so I actually had some time today to look into this "correctly".

I may have been getting my Capcom machines mixed up. That said, I got the following on the Pinball Magic this morning:

Trunk optos - All register correctly, using an actual pinball.
Outhole switch - registers correctly using an actual pinball.
Shooter lane switch - registers correctly using an actual pinball.
Ball trough - Left and center register, right does NOT.

These are original Capcom opto boards which have had the receivers and transmitters replaced.
Troubleshooting - I had another capcom board (with only 3 optos on it) from before. It was not marked, so I don't know it's actual condition, but it yielded the same result.

I then replaced the transmitter and receiver opto from the "trought right" position on my existing boards. Same result.

So at this point I am guessing either one (or both) if the boards are bad (I did reflow the connector solder points), OR, I have a wiring issue.

Does that sound like the right track?

I haven't done it yet, but I can take the trough optos from my Breakshot and try them in my Pinball Magic. That would likely yield a more direct path since Breakshot is working.

Chris

#1311 8 days ago

High detail Pinball magic trunk coming soon from Mezelmods.com

8603186D-8945-491E-B338-E6D44608998B (resized).jpeg
#1312 8 days ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

High detail Pinball magic trunk coming soon from Mezelmods.com

Cool

#1313 8 days ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

High detail Pinball magic trunk coming soon from Mezelmods.com[quoted image]

Madal

#1314 7 days ago

Sometimes when shooting the skill shot at start of ball and nailing it first try, I only get the hat award. The flasher for the skill sometimes doesn’t flash when the ball is sitting in the shooter lane as well. Anyone else experience this?

#1315 7 days ago

OK so I actually had some time today to look into this "correctly".
I may have been getting my Capcom machines mixed up. That said, I got the following on the Pinball Magic this morning:
Trunk optos - All register correctly, using an actual pinball.
Outhole switch - registers correctly using an actual pinball.
Shooter lane switch - registers correctly using an actual pinball.
Ball trough - Left and center register, right does NOT.
These are original Capcom opto boards which have had the receivers and transmitters replaced.
Troubleshooting - I had another capcom board (with only 3 optos on it) from before. It was not marked, so I don't know it's actual condition, but it yielded the same result.
I then replaced the transmitter and receiver opto from the "trought right" position on my existing boards. Same result.
So at this point I am guessing either one (or both) if the boards are bad (I did reflow the connector solder points), OR, I have a wiring issue.
Does that sound like the right track?
I haven't done it yet, but I can take the trough optos from my Breakshot and try them in my Pinball Magic. That would likely yield a more direct path since Breakshot is working.
Chris

I've never really looked closely at the opto boards in Capcom games but in others there isn't usually much too them so I wouldn't expect there to be a problem there you couldn't fix. If you look at the non working one with your cell phone camera is the transmitter working? Does it have any voltage to it?

#1316 7 days ago

Uh no. I would not take anything from a working game.

I agree with bobukcat. If you look at the non working one with your cell phone camera is the transmitter working? If it does, we need to look at the receiver opto, shorting across the 2 pins of it, should register a switch closure. If it does, the receiver opto is the problem, but if it does not, the CPU must not be registering it, possibly a bad connection at the CPU board.

Just start with testing the Transmitter opto for it lighting, and short the receiver opto to see if it registers in the switch test.

#1317 6 days ago

Has anyone here installed the power tap from Kimball's Pinballs to support both ColorDMD and the topper? If so, could you please share a couple of photos of install placement and connections?

Thanks in advance!

#1318 6 days ago

Forgot about you ..so sorry will have them tonight

#1319 6 days ago

No worries, transprtr4u - I appreciate it!

#1320 4 days ago

Uh no. I would not take anything from a working game.
I agree with bobukcat. If you look at the non working one with your cell phone camera is the transmitter working? If it does, we need to look at the receiver opto, shorting across the 2 pins of it, should register a switch closure. If it does, the receiver opto is the problem, but if it does not, the CPU must not be registering it, possibly a bad connection at the CPU board.
Just start with testing the Transmitter opto for it lighting, and short the receiver opto to see if it registers in the switch test.

OK, I should have some time to try this tonight.

Thanks
Chris

#1321 4 days ago

So I did get time to do this tonight, and you were right! The Right Opto was out (transmitter side). The digital camera worked like a champ to identify the culprit.

I thank you all for your persistence in guiding me and making me check everything again. I can't thank you enough! Now to tackle the limp outhole kicker (should be an easy fix) and find out why the stage kicker isn't firing.

Thank you all again!

Chris

#1322 4 days ago

stage kicker isn't firing

same thing. There is a transmitter and receiver opto at the stage kick out to the pop bumper. So use your camera again to test the transmitter opto.

The Right Opto was out (transmitter side). The digital camera worked like a champ to identify the culprit.

So...lesson learned. New board can be bad too.

#1323 3 days ago

same thing. There is a transmitter and receiver opto at the stage kick out to the pop bumper. So use your camera again to test the transmitter opto.

Sorry, I misspoke. The kicker kicks the ball into the pop bumper area, and the pop bumper works. The slingshot kicker thing at the bottom side of the pop bumper doesn't kick. I think that's just a switch issue, but will get into it in a bit. Once everything is tuned up should a much more fun game

Chris

#1324 3 days ago

Sorry, I misspoke. The kicker kicks the ball into the pop bumper area, and the pop bumper works. The slingshot kicker thing at the bottom side of the pop bumper doesn't kick. I think that's just a switch issue, but will get into it in a bit. Once everything is tuned up should a much more fun game
Chris

Probably at this point, you should consider changing the remainder of the transmitter optos in the game on any upkickers and kickouts. Not many left, but I would expect them to fail in the near future, one by one. Might as well get them out of the way at once.

#1325 3 days ago

Probably at this point, you should consider changing the remainder of the transmitter optos in the game on any upkickers and kickouts. Not many left, but I would expect them to fail in the near future, one by one. Might as well get them out of the way at once.

Ugh, yeah, that's probably not a bad idea. Some of these are so dang hard to get to

Chris

#1326 3 days ago

Ugh, yeah, that's probably not a bad idea. Some of these are so dang hard to get to
Chris

Hmm..not any more different than some other upkickers or kickouts in other games.

#1327 2 days ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Sometimes when shooting the skill shot at start of ball and nailing it first try, I only get the hat award. The flasher for the skill sometimes doesn’t flash when the ball is sitting in the shooter lane as well. Anyone else experience this?

The skillshot runs a timed countdown. Could that be something to do with it? The dmd counts down after the switch in the shooter lane is released.

#1328 2 days ago

I have a question maybe someone can help me with. I had to order a new power board assembly. My board says part number A0015204. The place I ordered from said that they had the same board, so I purchased it. When it arrived today, I noticed that it says part number A0015205. The last number is different, although they look identical. Does anyone know if this will work? Thanks.

#1329 1 day ago

15204 was original part no. in Pinball Magic

15205 was in Airborne, Flipper Football and BBB.

In fact, they are the same, you can use it.

#1330 1 day ago
Quoted from DMC:

The skillshot runs a timed countdown. Could that be something to do with it? The dmd counts down after the switch in the shooter lane is released.

Yeah, I’m aware of the counter. When I nail it first try, I often just get the hat award and no skill shot. This is usually at the beginning of 2nd or 3rd ball. Also, sometimes if I plunge too soft, the timer will start, but I still just get the hat award when I nail the skill shot in time.

#1331 1 day ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

High detail Pinball magic trunk coming soon from Mezelmods.com[quoted image]

When do you think they will be done?

#1332 1 day ago
Quoted from guss:

When do you think they will be done?

2 more weeks. We have one more small tweak to make.

#1333 1 day ago
Quoted from PinBertl:

15204 was original part no. in Pinball Magic
15205 was in Airborne, Flipper Football and BBB.
In fact, they are the same, you can use it.

Thanks, I will give it a try. I was really excited when I found the part, and got sick when I saw it wasn’t the same part number.

#1334 1 day ago
Quoted from Cinder143:

Thanks, I will give it a try. I was really excited when I found the part, and got sick when I saw it wasn’t the same part number.

What is wrong with the original board?

#1335 14 hours ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Yeah, I’m aware of the counter. When I nail it first try, I often just get the hat award and no skill shot. This is usually at the beginning of 2nd or 3rd ball. Also, sometimes if I plunge too soft, the timer will start, but I still just get the hat award when I nail the skill shot in time.

Not sure then. Someone will know.

#1336 3 hours ago

What is wrong with the original board?

I sent it in along with the display driver to get repaired. The machine would randomly power of and restart, I was told it was the power supply board.

#1337 3 hours ago

Still looking for a Pinball Magic DMD power board part # B0015502, let me know if anyone has the part or a source. Thanks

#1338 3 hours ago

Just FYI. Once you go with a ColorDMD, you will not need the DMD power board.

#1339 3 hours ago

Just FYI. Once you go with a ColorDMD, you will not need the DMD power board.

Can you please list the parts needed and a link if possible? I know it’s probably listed somewhere in this thread. Thanks.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Howell, MI
$ 239.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D MODS
$ 89.00
Boards
Pappy's Pinball Palace
$ 25.00
Apparel - Unisex
Project Pinball Charity
$ 149.00
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 26.95
$ 59.99
$ 34.99
Cleaner
Pinball Pro
£ 29.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 11.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
There are 1339 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 27.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside