IMG_2571 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2570 (resized).jpeg
20240212_120942 (resized).jpg
color ball assembly (resized).png
image3(6) (resized).jpeg
image2(5) (resized).jpeg
IMG_1503 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1502 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,417 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 49.
#1101 5 years ago
Quoted from SuperDaveOsbourn:

Thank GOD I picked one up, mint and working for $800 last year. I'd say great you got $4000 for yours.

Pretty much ANY DMD pin for $800 is a seal nowadays. These sell fast at $3000, and I usually see them around $4K+. Just dont try to sell one with lots of extras for well north of that

Chris

#1102 5 years ago

Hi guys, Anybody have some advice on polishing the gold Wire forms?

#1103 5 years ago
Quoted from Backdoc01:

brass polish might help, that's about all you can use I think, metal polish will take off brass plating of the ramps

#1104 5 years ago
Quoted from BobC:

Ok...looks like Cointaker does

if you buy a kit, you will get robbed. just buy individual bulbs and be creative till you find what you like. Preferably white frosted in gi's and backbox. Frosted or clears in inserts.

#1105 5 years ago

DO NOT USE BRASSO!
Redacted as to not damage wire forms.
Thelaw, noted and fixed.

#1106 5 years ago
Quoted from Backdoc01:

ATTENTION

Brasso took my brass/gold coating right off my wireforms.

#1107 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

ATTENTION
Brasso took my brass/gold coating right off my wireforms.

More info on the history of Brasso:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brasso

"In the US, the current Brasso product is not the same as the legacy product. The manufacturer, Reckitt Benckiser, has not produced the impregnated wadding version of the product for many years."

And its MSDS sheet for the US (other countries may vary apparently for abrasives):

https://tinyurl.com/Brasso-MSDS

#1108 5 years ago

Welp, I thought I had my opto issue fixed, but I guess not so much

So I was playing my PM tonight. I got one ball locked in teh trunk, and the machine delivered a new ball as expected (horray! My issues are fixed!!....welll......). Served up the second ball and went through the motions and also locked that ball in the trunk.

Great! Machine kicked another from the trough. I shot that ball, and the trogh kicker kept firing

Fired about 10-12 times then I got a message on the DMD "TROUGH MALFUNCTION".

Sadness.

I can only guess that I have an opto issue in the ball trouch, but everything SEEMS ok when I go through the testa (with actual ball movement, not jus breaking the planes).

Any ideas? Glad this wasn't headed to the show this weekend.

Thanks
Chris

#1109 5 years ago

Still trying to figure out this game, I have 2 balls locked in trunk, completed silence my critics.
I don't get what next target is?
The displays say's I think "power lock 2" what's next?

#1110 5 years ago
Quoted from wdennie:

Still trying to figure out this game, I have 2 balls locked in trunk, completed silence my critics.
I don't get what next target is?
The displays say's I think "power lock 2" what's next?

If you've completed the first six tricks and then silenced the critics it starts on the second set of six shots, the first of which is Metamorphosis which is hitting the three red standups below the ramp entrance. The light (or available) trick is always flashing next to the magician it's associated with, starting at the bottom and moving up then left to right and from left to right around each magician. The "Triple Power Play" is the second Matra Magna shot that you get to after completing the second six shots and is indicated by a flashing yellow insert in the triangle at Matra Magna (I'm probably spelling that wrong but don't have my game or manual near me). To complete that and move onto the final set of six tricks you have to lock 3 balls during the same ball, if you lose the ball it restarts and at no point does it actually matter how many balls are in the trunk, if you've only locked one during the current ball but there are two in there is will release one until it's at the point where hitting another ball up the ramp will be the third locked during that ball. Once you lock the third it starts a 3 ball Magic Mania Multiball with jackpot and jackpot multiplier lit.

#1111 5 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Welp, I thought I had my opto issue fixed, but I guess not so much
So I was playing my PM tonight. I got one ball locked in teh trunk, and the machine delivered a new ball as expected (horray! My issues are fixed!!....welll......). Served up the second ball and went through the motions and also locked that ball in the trunk.
Great! Machine kicked another from the trough. I shot that ball, and the trogh kicker kept firing
Fired about 10-12 times then I got a message on the DMD "TROUGH MALFUNCTION".
Sadness.
I can only guess that I have an opto issue in the ball trouch, but everything SEEMS ok when I go through the testa (with actual ball movement, not jus breaking the planes).
Any ideas? Glad this wasn't headed to the show this weekend.
Thanks
Chris

Sounds like one or more transmitter optos have an issue. If you hadn't replaced them all already, I would. But before you do that, can you look at the transmitters on your camera phone to see if one is dim or not even lit up?

#1112 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

If you've completed the first six tricks and then silenced the critics it starts on the second set of six shots, the first of which is Metamorphosis which is hitting the three red standups below the ramp entrance. The light (or available) trick is always flashing next to the magician it's associated with, starting at the bottom and moving up then left to right and from left to right around each magician. The "Triple Power Play" is the second Matra Magna shot that you get to after completing the second six shots and is indicated by a flashing yellow insert in the triangle at Matra Magna (I'm probably spelling that wrong but don't have my game or manual near me). To complete that and move onto the final set of six tricks you have to lock 3 balls during the same ball, if you lose the ball it restarts and at no point does it actually matter how many balls are in the trunk, if you've only locked one during the current ball but there are two in there is will release one until it's at the point where hitting another ball up the ramp will be the third locked during that ball. Once you lock the third it starts a 3 ball Magic Mania Multiball with jackpot and jackpot multiplier lit.

Thanks, that make a little more sense.

#1113 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

But before you do that, can you look at the transmitters on your camera phone to see if one is dim or not even lit up?

This was the issue with mine, tricky buggers thought it was the receiver however it was transmitters ...

#1114 5 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

This was the issue with mine, tricky buggers thought it was the receiver however it was transmitters ...

Transmitter optos are on all the time when the game is on, so eventually they will fail. As I find 2 transmitter optos fail in any game, I change them all. Receivers rarely fail so I don't change any unless they fail.

#1115 5 years ago

Thanks. I will check all the transmitters also.

Chris

#1116 5 years ago

I have a NOS (New Old Stock) Bare Pinball Magic Playfield that I would sell - I haven't pulled it out to look at it as its been stored away for years - but I don't think it's Drilled or has T Nuts. Not sure if It is the one used in the game or a preproduction but if anyone is interested I can pull it out and get some pictures - I am asking $1000 for it and can bring to Allentown on Friday 5/4 if anyone is interested in it.

PM if interested.

Scott

#1117 5 years ago

Any suggestions? My display has gone out. It did this a few months ago and it was the small ribbon cord that came loose. This time it is not coming on and I noticed an unpleasant odor when i removed the backglass. Is there a way to trouble shoot? or anything I should look for? Thanks.

#1118 5 years ago
Quoted from Cinder143:

Any suggestions? My display has gone out. It did this a few months ago and it was the small ribbon cord that came loose. This time it is not coming on and I noticed an unpleasant odor when i removed the backglass. Is there a way to trouble shoot? or anything I should look for? Thanks.

Take a picture of your 4"x4" DMD power board, which is to the left of the MPU when you drop the speaker panel down. I suspect a capacitor has leaked and shorted across another voltage rail.

#1119 5 years ago

Take a picture of your 4"x4" DMD power board, which is to the left of the MPU when you drop the speaker panel down. I suspect a capacitor has leaked and shorted across another voltage rail.

I think you are on to something. Here is what I found pictured below. Can this be fixed? Or needs replacing?

IMG_1650 (resized).JPGIMG_1650 (resized).JPG

#1120 5 years ago

Playfield gradient? Anyone know what the factory % was, and or best % for normal play?

Thanks

#1121 5 years ago
Quoted from lemmsoil:

Playfield gradient? Anyone know what the factory % was, and or best % for normal play?
Thanks

standard DMD 6.5

#1122 5 years ago

Thank you for the help!

#1123 5 years ago

Can someone tell me the part number for the display driver board pictured above. When i do a search on the internest I am coming up with a few different numbers. Thanks.

#1124 5 years ago

It is a DMD power board. Hard to find board. A friend had bought one from Mr Pinball Australia as untested and found it did not put out any voltages. So that was a waste of money.

The part number might be on the board or at least listed on the schematic in the title block.

#1125 5 years ago
Quoted from Cinder143:

Can this be fixed? Or needs replacing?

Might as well fix it. Doesn't have to be pretty, juts has to work.

#1126 5 years ago
Quoted from Cinder143:

Can this be fixed?

I repaired 2 for Breakshot and because of a capacitor leakage shorting 2 voltage rails it had a high resistance internal short between some points. I had to cut some traces and run some wire to parts off the board. So at minimum the parts you circled and all the capacitors need to be changed, and possibly what I went through on the other boards if the resistance is lower than it should be measuring across some of the parts.

It definitely will not look pretty. I would not be surprised if there is a hole in the board as the other 2 boards I repaired.

#1127 5 years ago

Found the part number #A0015502 for Pinball Magic's DMD power board. Note the DMD power board is slightly different in Breakshot and will not work in Pinball Magic without modifying the board. httpwww.ipdb.orgfiles3596Capcom_1995_Pinball_Magic_Manual (resized).pnghttpwww.ipdb.orgfiles3596Capcom_1995_Pinball_Magic_Manual (resized).png

#1128 5 years ago

Thanks all for the replies. I am going to order a board and not try to repair. Is there anything that could be done to prevent this in the future? or was it just my lucky day.

#1129 5 years ago
Quoted from Cinder143:

Thanks all for the replies. I am going to order a board and not try to repair. Is there anything that could be done to prevent this in the future? or was it just my lucky day.

Even though you buy a new board that is actually 15 years old, I would replace the capacitors because they are likely dried out. Electrolytic capacitors only have a certain shelf life even when they are not installed on a board.

#1130 5 years ago

Hopefully, as people upgrade to a ColorDMD, used DMD power boards will start becoming available. I have a ColorDMD in my game, but I am keeping the DMD power board as a reference in case I repair other boards in the future. It is helpful to have to test against when checking for resistance and shorts.

Here is one of the Breakshot DMD power boards I repaired. I didn't clean it up before snapping a picture because it was not on my mind at the time. Here you can see the board is damaged in the same area as yours. Since the board was damaged, I had cut traces and routed wires to bypass the damaged area.Breakshot DMD power board top (resized).jpgBreakshot DMD power board top (resized).jpg
Breakshot DMD power board bottom (resized).jpgBreakshot DMD power board bottom (resized).jpg

#1131 5 years ago

I suggest anyone with a DMD power board in any of their Capcom games to replace all five of the capacitors on the board to prevent future failures such as this one.

#1132 5 years ago

transprtr4u I know you had upgraded to a ColorDMD as well. Did you sell your DMD power board? Cinder143 sure could use one.

#1133 5 years ago

Okay, so I did find the part number on my board and it reads B0015502. I did a search on the net for a replacement and found nothing. Pinball parts Australia and Marco both have a A0015500 display board. Will this work? If not does anyone have a spare or a source for a new one? Thanks again.

#1134 5 years ago
Quoted from Cinder143:

Pinball parts Australia and Marco both have a A0015500 display board. Will this work?

I will say no because the D7 is not on the Pinball Magic power board and the pin out on J1 is different. So unless you want to modify it, it will not be a plug and play board. Looks like it might work on Breakshot since that is what I show in post #1130

#1135 5 years ago

transprtr4u I know you had upgraded to a ColorDMD as well. Did you sell your DMD power board? Cinder143 sure could use one.

I do... have been on Colordmd for over a year, due to work I have not been able to access my pins, the earliest I could check for the board would be mid June. Would an Airborne work as well , should has the same board sets? Have replaced that one as well !
Apologies just working 14-16 hour days!

#1136 5 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Would an Airborne work as well

We'll have to check the part number of the board in the manual. Hope to get back on that in a day or two.

#1137 5 years ago

Wait, we can use ColorDMD in Capcom machines? Do they have rom support or is just a sigma screen?

There is nothing on their website about Capcom Roms.

Chris

#1138 5 years ago

Wait, we can use ColorDMD in Capcom machines? Do they have rom support or is just a sigma screen?
There is nothing on their website about Capcom Roms.

Sigma... I use blue or yellow... And the LCD screen in smooth!
(Chris this should add 3k to the price of your game) lol... Just kidding
Have been emailing Colordmd they are going to have to colour a Capcom eventually!

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#1139 5 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Sigma... I use blue or yellow... And the LCD screen in smooth!
(Chris this should add 3k to the price of your game) lol... Just kidding
Have been emailing Colordmd they are going to have to colour a Capcom eventually!

ok, thanks. I emailed them yesterday as well. Maybe if more people email, they can do it

So in yours, do you have the Color LCD, or is that LED? It looks like a Color LED, but I wanted to make sure. And what did you order? I didn't see anywhere to order a non-game specific panel. Lastly, did you need to order any extra cables and how was the install? After adding a colorDMD (LCD) to our TOTAN, I ant one for every DMD game we have. Especially if it adds $3K! LOL

Chris

#1140 5 years ago

Sigma is not officially supported yet for Capcom games, so there is occasional flickering. I had the ability to install a LCD in my Pinball Magic and a LED into a friend's Breakshot, so I did it. I'm partial to the yellow since the color blends in well with the game.PM-yello (resized).pngPM-yello (resized).png

#1141 5 years ago

Colordmd has no wiring for Capcom , I commissioned Kim from:

http://www.kimballspinballs.com/

To make a connector that would be a plug & play adaptor, it also has a splitter to run a topper or other desired mods ...
Hope this helps all ...

#1142 5 years ago

Interesting. I was wondering how the ColorDMD would fit in there with the whole metal shield thing on there. Does it repalce all the boards? Trying to wrap my head around how this mounts and what it replaces exactly.

In the meantime, I replaced my regular DMD with a new one. You can see why in this picture:

Pinball Magic DisplayPinball Magic Display

And in doing so the machine rewarded me with the best scre I ever got on it:

high score 3 (resized).jpghigh score 3 (resized).jpg

Probably not really that great a score, but for me it was! LOL

Chrirs

#1143 5 years ago

Anyone come up with an extra display driver? My part number show b0015502. Thanks.

#1144 5 years ago

Interesting. I was wondering how the ColorDMD would fit in there with the whole metal shiel

I trimmed off the top part of the shield allowing the LCD to stick up and through ... When I have time will send you a pic ...

#1145 5 years ago

Ok ... So found the pics ....

#1146 5 years ago

Thank you for the pics. Does it have the "dots" option in the menu? I am not crazy about their blending setting, just personal preference.

Looks like there's some modification to do to get these into a Capcom machine.

Appreciate the follow up and pics.

Chris

#1147 5 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Ok ... So found the pics ....

I do not see why you have the DMD controller plugged in at all on the Pinball Magic. You disconnected the output voltage connector, so the input connector is really doing nothing for you.

#1148 5 years ago

so the input connector is really doing nothing for you.

I'm aware ... If I sell the unit will put the standard DMD back again, ditto for the Airborne!

#1149 5 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

I'm aware ... If I sell the unit will put the standard DMD back again, ditto for the Airborne!

Sell the unit...do you mean game? Airborne and PM are not long time keepers? So no plans to sell either DMD power board then?

#1150 5 years ago

Looks like there's some modification to do to get these into a Capcom machine.

I like the Scan... However multiple options for users tastes, including dots....
You do have to cut some of the top off ... For the LCD to poke through, the Colordmd LED display doesn't require it!
Later Chris ...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

8,100 (OBO)
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Martin, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 209.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfields
Mod Magic!

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,417 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 49.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-magic-club/page/23 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.