By WesleyCowan

2 years ago

Stats

• 1,041 posts
  • 119 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by transprtr4u
  • Topic is favorited by 42 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 266 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20180214_092248 (resized).jpg
FullSizeRender (resized).jpg
20180107_164200 (resized).jpg
20180107_164211 (resized).jpg
F276462D-F2A6-4108-93A2-DAD16B500B74 (resized).jpeg
DSCF1209 (resized).JPG
DSCF1208 (resized).JPG
DSCF1207 (resized).JPG
DSCF1206 (resized).JPG
DSCF1205 (resized).JPG
DSCF1108 (resized).JPG
DSCF1204 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
IMG_0943 (resized).JPG
62B95027-864D-4462-A4AF-6BEF801B5916 (resized).jpeg
DSCF1136 (resized).JPG

There are 1041 posts in topic. You are on page 1 of 21.
#1 2 years ago

I've never started a club here so I'll go ahead and apologize for any mistakes I'll make.

I bought a PM a few months ago and think for a first game Capcom did an incredible job.

Some of the things i like about it:

1. LEDs which go off if a fuse dies. I don't think B/W ever did that. It returned with WOZ, which is cool this game had even a minor influence on a modern game.

2. Love the wand and how the ball magically goes into the lock and when it's also used to try and get a ball into the holes by pressing a flipper.

3. Love how advanced the diagnostics was in its day including being able to tell you exactly which lights are out and a lot more.

4. Seeing the floating ball is still neat to me.

5. And naturally gameplay, gameplay and more. I can't imagine ever "beating" this game unless I put it into the easiest levels and something like 20 balls per game!

What do others like about this game and of course, tidbits and information is what's this all about.

Last thing, if anyone has any of the 3 Pingame Journals of 2008 and 2009 that have articles about PM, I'm really trying to find this!

#2 2 years ago

Great game. Glad I found mine 6 years ago.
The magic tricks are very cool. It is the reason for me purchasing my game.

Looking forward to the day I can install a ColorDMD Sigma display so I can choose yellow or purple for a display.

#3 2 years ago

I "own" one, meaning that it belongs to my mom and resides in her bedroom, but I have full access to it and am the one that maintains it. It is a very fun game, and I need to put more time on it to full be able to make the shots. I keep getting stuck in one spot, but I can't remember which trick it is.

#4 2 years ago

Quiet the audience is a pretty cool feature on this game. That is where you try and drop the ball in one of the big mouths.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Quiet the audience is a pretty cool feature on this game. That is where you try and drop the ball in one of the big mouths.

Hard to obtain but awesome when it happens!

#6 2 years ago

I have had one for years have serial number 3 huo got it from Capcom back then on a trade for flyers they wanted.. LOVE it

#7 2 years ago

checking in, still love seeing the ball "float" up and travel across the wand...

one of the most beautiful cabinets but meh playfield art unfortunately

great game

#8 2 years ago

I love the whole art package.

#9 2 years ago

PM owner here. Way more magic related then Theatre of magic. Wand and floating ball is so cool. Although I say vote coolest skill shot, and curved ramp to start the game.
magicchiz

#10 2 years ago

What a great game ... I got to play it for the first time @ APE this year , I think I played it more than any other title there ....Now I want one

#11 2 years ago

This is a really fun game and I wish I had one. The cabinet art isn't as good as TOM but the game play is much better. The magic wand is one of the best tricks in pinball.

#12 2 years ago

I am restoring one for a Pinsider in VA currently and with his permission will be posting pictures soon once completed as we are doing some fun mods with this one. It certainly is tricky to shop out....

#13 2 years ago

I own both Tom and PM. I enjoy both for what they are ;2 different games. PM will make you a better purpose driven shooter. Under-rated, but with only 1200 games made, not many get the opportunity to play it in a home environment to spend time with it. Such a great game that I feel will increase with value tremendously. A color dmd would Rock!

#14 2 years ago

I need to work on my mom's a bit cleaning up a few things. I know the floating ball needs to be shined up because it doesn't match the normal balls we've got in there, so it throws off the illusion a bit. I'm a little scared to try to completely shop it though.

#15 2 years ago

I'm looking to join the club soon. Just have to find one now...

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

This is a really fun game and I wish I had one. The cabinet art isn't as good as TOM but the game play is much better. The magic wand is one of the best tricks in pinball.

I have both now. Sounds like you need to stop by again and take the magic challenge.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

What a great game ... I got to play it for the first time @ APE this year , I think I played it more than any other title there ....Now I want one

that was my game

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from flecom:

that was my game

Hey I think we met briefly you are friends with Art right ? Great game thanks much for bringing it to the show

#19 2 years ago

I also see you are in Miami are you by chance the same guy interested in my Fathom ?

#20 2 years ago

We need to get someone to make a repo set of plastics for this game.

#21 2 years ago

I bought my PM from a magician, beat that!

#22 2 years ago

whats going price on one of these average condition.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

We need to get someone to make a repo set of plastics for this game.

Marcos and Australia Spare Parts have a lot of the plastics but unsure of it all and if you can buy as a set.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I bought my PM from a magician, beat that!

Awesome I just hope her or she didn't try to make it disappear from you especially after you bought it!

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from WesleyCowan:

Awesome I just hope her or she didn't try to make it disappear from you especially after you bought it!

Well there were a lot of disappeared parts I had to buy

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well there were a lot of disappeared parts I had to buy

I see what you did there.

#27 2 years ago

Hey I think we met briefly you are friends with Art right ? Great game thanks much for bringing it to the show

yep, no problem

I brought a lot of games to the show, and I love seeing people enjoying them

I also see you are in Miami are you by chance the same guy interested in my Fathom ?

nope, would love a Fathom in the collection some day but all purchases are on hold

#28 2 years ago

PM is the better TOM. Mine is a prototype with stainless steel siderails (like in the flyer) and some other differences.

A very nice machine.

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from WesleyCowan:

Marcos and Australia Spare Parts have a lot of the plastics but unsure of it all and if you can buy as a set.

They don't have them all and they charge an arm and a leg for them.

#30 2 years ago

My buddy has one of these. He can't figure out what LED's will work, given the unique way capcom's drive the lights. He gets crazy flickering with the CT ones he bought.

Anyone know or figured out the best LED's, or is it a lost cause?

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

My buddy has one of these. He can't figure out what LED's will work, given the unique way capcom's drive the lights. He gets crazy flickering with the CT ones he bought.
Anyone know or figured out the best LED's, or is it a lost cause?

Cointaker "Premium" kit I just installed in Pinball Magic seems to work and look great and brighten and dim the way the incandescents do IMO.

#32 2 years ago

That's what he bought, but they do a lot of flickering all the times, do yours not?

#33 2 years ago

Until the master of led ocd and gi ocd get the backing from some rich investor that needs capcom ocd boards done. It looks as if the game really needs to stay a non led game. There is nothing that will work.
magicchiz

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I have both now. Sounds like you need to stop by again and take the magic challenge.

This is one challenge that I'll gladly accept. Bring it on!

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from Magicchiz:

Until the master of led ocd and gi ocd get the backing from some rich investor that needs capcom ocd boards done. It looks as if the game really needs to stay a non led game. There is nothing that will work.
magicchiz

There was a thread about this some months ago and one person did a YouTube of his results. Some liked it and some didn't but always a little tough from videos to get the full effect. I tried a few led's and didn't like it and went back to originals.

#36 2 years ago

Do you know there is a Capcom subforum now ?

- Julian

#37 2 years ago

Thanks for starting the club. Long overdue. I have a PM which I've been doing lots of work on lately - chrome trim, colour matched incandescent bulbs, and most recently I've installed a couple of yellow optmax spotlights. The effect is very good on this game which needs a bit of help with lighting.

I have many questions about the game. The first is does anyone else's games have Magna Matra saying something in Italian followed by a count down from 10 to 1 also in Italian? I'm guessing there's a time limit for each round of tricks and she's shouting at you to hurry up.

#38 2 years ago

Let's see some pics! This game has always intrigued me. Would love to get one some day!

#39 2 years ago

"does anyone else's games have Magna Matra saying something in Italian followed by a count down from 10 to 1 also in Italian? I'm guessing there's a time limit for each round of tricks and she's shouting at you to hurry up."

Wow I don't think I've ever heard that! But my PM was down for months (CPU board issue finally had Rob Anthony at Lock When Lit fix it) and only for a little over a week has it been working again. I'll listen for that.

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from hepworthjd:

Do you know there is a Capcom subforum now ?
- Julian

Thanks I didn't know and will get on that as well. Capcom made some neat games in their very short time making pins. Wish they had made more.

#41 2 years ago

Here's a scarce competition overhead video from Randy Elwin. Some spoilers here. If you want to be surprised when you work through the game you might not want to watch the whole thing.

» Vimeo video

#42 2 years ago

PM FAQ.

Q. Can you put mirror blades designed for Bally Williams in a Pinball Magic?
A. In my personal experience - yes.

Q. Can you put LEDs in a Pinball Magic?
A. From reading forums and watching @Blackrose Yewtoob videos - you can. But. No matter what you do or who you buy from you will still get flickering. Coloured and white incandescents were my preference. The rise and fall effects of the lighting in this game are stunning.

Q. Was this game secretly designed by Mark
Ritchie?
A. I've never heard a qualified response to this question. I read about PM in one of Michael Shaloubs books and was satisfied that Bryan Hansen did develop the game. He's a real guy. There's a picture of him working in the Capcom office. It seems Ritchie was more so the supervisor of the project.

Q. Did Williams steal Capcom's idea for a magic themed game?
A. I dunno, except on the PM cab there's a drawing of a little guy with binoculars and a t-shirt with WPI on it as well as a plastic with a guy running away holding a case that has WPI Magic Plans written on it. I read that as Williams Private Investigator. Perhaps Capcom are claiming through their artwork that there was a case of industrial espionage going on.

Q. Are spare parts hard to come by?
A. In my experience I've been able to get what I needed most of the time from Pinball Spare Parts Australia (PSPA) or Ride the Boney Beast (RTBB). Plastics are still around and generic bits and pieces which are common to lots of pinball machines are easily found. Things such as mechanical assemblies are drying up but no worse than lots of other games.

Q. How much are they worth?
A. The only source I can reference is the Boston Pinball ebay sales stats. Average of all 33 recorded sales - $2067. Lowest price - $811. Highest price - $5495. Sales during 11/2013 to 11/2014 - 2. Average price of those two sales - $3947.

#43 2 years ago

I got mine a few months ago and had it torn about working on it for weeks, getting close.... I'll post pics when finished...

I'm on the hunt for the Left Stage door though, let me know if anybody knows where i can get one...

#44 2 years ago

did you try Marco?

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from scollins918:

did you try Marco?

Yeah I've tried all the obvious places, I've had to order a ton of parts from Pinball Spare Parts Australia (PSPA). I found the right stage door NOS on ebay but can't find the left anywhere.

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from DMC:

PM FAQ.

Q. Was this game secretly designed by Mark
Ritchie?
A. I've never heard a qualified response to this question. I read about PM in one of Michael Shaloubs books and was satisfied that Bryan Hansen did develop the game. He's a real guy. There's a picture of him working in the Capcom office. It seems Ritchie was more so the supervisor of the project.

Just read articles Part I and Part II on PM in the Pingame Journal articles and the above seems correct that Bryan Hansen designed the game and Ritchie was a supervisor and made some suggestions along the way. blockquote>

#47 2 years ago

Here are some pictures of the Pinball Magic I just restored/mod/LED for another Pinside Customer. The Mods include pinblades and superbands from Cointaker, Red Rubber rings from Titan Pinball, and my favorite, Chris from Rock Custom Pinball did a made-to-order light show for this that the owner was blown away by and loved. It includes LED purple shooter lane, under backbox lighting, under cabinetlighting, and undercabinet interactive flasher light show. The only plastics I replaced were the slingshot plastics that I got as a pair from Marco. I will be posting the before and after pics in a separate thread. This was a challenge as the tear down and rebuild is like a jigsaw puzzle as you remove things sometimes in two stages to get to the right screw or bolt.
Pinball Magic1.jpg
Pinball Magic.jpgPinball Magic14.jpgPinball Magic13.jpgPinball Magic12.jpgPinball Magic2.jpgPinball Magic4.jpgPinball Magic5.jpgPinball Magic6.jpgPinball Magic6.jpgPinball Magic7.jpgPinball Magic8.jpgPinball Magic9.jpgPinball Magic11.jpg

Pinball Magic3.jpg
#48 2 years ago

Recently was sent via email the 3 part article that PinGame Journal published several years ago about PM.

A few things I found interesting:

There used to be a rabbit in one the prototypes in the hat that would lift up. Was taken out as Mark Ritchie felt is would become monotonous.

Plans were for a musical theme for each magician, but lack of Eprom space didn't allow for this.

Mark Ritchie's wife is the voice of Matra Magna, Mark Ritchie is Mister Mystique, and the critics voices are loosely inspired by the two critics from the Muppet Show.

Mark Ritchie states "I didn't do a lot of design work" and he mentored Bryan Hansen and Python who worked on playfield design and came up with many of the ideas for the toys.

On a prototype there was a house with a chimney behind the drops and after you knocked the drops down, you entered the house or dropped in through the chimney.

Some of the Easter eggs and artwork reflects Big Willy's (Williams) attempts to make things hard on getting this game made. There's a plastic on the game that says "Big Bad Willy vs The Elephant Man." Williams reportedly hired a detective to spy on the team including going through the company's trash, looking into the company's windows, taking photos of employees, looking into their contracts and other things. There's another plastic with a guy running off with "magic plans." There's also a guy holding binoculars up to his eyes referring to the spying going on by Williams-wow! They had guys in cars and in bushes with binoculars spying. They were reportedly even going through the engineer's garbage at his home-crazy! Don't know if all of the above is true, but guys in the article insist it is.

Capcom was first called GameStar. For awhile, the pinball division called each other "Those 3 guys" because they didn't have a name yet for their division. They had 3 guys starting the pinball division and changed the name as they added people by changing the number, ie. "Those 4 Guys" etc.

Bryan Hansen per Python's encouragement before they worked for Capcom presented to Williams some ideas about making a magic themed pinball. These included the magic wand and other ideas, but Williams said they couldn't be done. Later on Mark Ritchie reportedly didn't believe the skill shot could be made possible to work. So a lot to overcome to make ideas into reality.

Because of patents and threats of lawsuits and because they wanted to do some new things, the flippers, operating system, hardware and of course the toys all had to be made from scratch. Even had to find new vendors as many wouldn't use Capcom that were using Williams already.

The elephant references in the game are because the president of Capcom Japan, Tsujimoto, liked elephants. Kenzo Tsujimoto is balancing an elephant on his finger on the BG. Tsujimoto means the great wise elephant and elephants are a symbol of prestige.

These start the hidden video modes:

Initials BWL and NTD.

#49 2 years ago

Here are Two pinsiders enjoying the finished game. The owner LOVED Rock Custom pinball light show and now wants me to do his Judge Dredd with the same. If you have not worked with Chris before he is awesome to collaborate with. I have bought his stuff off the shelf and custom and loved everyone of them!

BTW the owner is in the red shirt and he will NEVER sell the machine so don't ask. Also BURNINGMAN from pinsider fame helped me deliver and he is in the white shirt.
Pinsiders.jpg

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

Here are some pictures of the Pinball Magic I just restored/mod/LED for another Pinside Customer. Red Rubber rings from Titan Pinball."

The red rubber rings look cool. I wonder if they are more, less, or have about the same bounce and reaction to the balls as the mostly blacks one the game is usually outfitted with?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Lehigh Valley, PA
4,850 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 239.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 10.00
Apparel - Unisex
Lee's Parts
$ 15.00
Electronics
Northern Westchester
$ 6.00
Electronics
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 160.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
£ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Toppers
liorillusion
Lighting - Other
Professor Pinball
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 9.95
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 66.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
There are 1041 posts in topic. You are on page 1 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside