Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 87 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by robin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WOF2.JPG
    IMG_5027.JPG
    image.jpg
    IMG_2085.JPG
    IMG_2079 small.jpg
    IMG_2081 small.jpg
    IMG_2083 small.jpg
    IMG_2089 small.jpg
    IMG_2090 small.jpg
    pinside 1.png
    There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

As editor of Pinball Magazine I came up with this idea to surprise Robin and Martijn, the founding brothers of Pinside, by showing up with a surprise guest: Gary Stern!

// Error: Image 178509 not found //

More details and pics below.

#2 10 years ago

Nice....vodka talk?

#3 10 years ago

Nice! I'm sure that was quite the surprise

#5 10 years ago

Gary stern is in NL?

#6 10 years ago

Seriously...very cool of you....sure they were happily suprised

#7 10 years ago

Great, Photo.

I hope Mr Stern was offered some of those beers in the green bottles.

#8 10 years ago

Tha'ts very cool~! I'd love to hear what y'all talked about.

#9 10 years ago

Wait a sec...

So you are telling me Gary Stern is now on Pinside

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I was afraid to ask.

#11 10 years ago

Great gift for them, excellent work.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

More like Pinside HQ Robin, Martijn and Gary are currently playing pinball in Robin's gameroom. Robin will later on probably comment as well

#13 10 years ago

cool stuff!

I was just joking about Gary being on Pinside. We all know that would never happen and we have already heard 'the talk' so probably not much to add. Now get some of the designers and coders on here and that would be something to talk about!

#14 10 years ago

Nice, let's see some more pics.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rensh:

Gary stern is in NL?

+1

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

He would have to get a computer first.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

He would have to get a computer first.

now that is funny!

#18 10 years ago

Wow, that's cool. Nice of you to arrange and cool of Gary to oblige.

#19 10 years ago

I've been planning this for the past two weeks. There will be a full 'making of' article on the Pinball Magazine website soon. And it was fun! Gary had a great time and so did everybody else. We first had dinner at Robin's place where his wife cooked a delicious lasagna. Great dinner conversation. After that Gary went to play some pinball in Robin's game room. Then we moved to The Koog, which is the shared game room of Robin, Martijn, Egbert and Udo. Only a few people got a hint that they might want to attend and those who did certainly were glad they did. Some had to leave early, others later and eventually we ended up with Helen de Haan - Verbeek, Robin, Martijn, Gary and me hanging out with Gary doing most of the talking. Think of it as a personal Q&A with no time limit Very interesting stuff. Robin had great questions for Gary too. When we finally left I brought Gary to his hotel and he'll leave for London in a few hours.

I have to thank Gary for being so cooperative on this initiative and Robin as well for canceling his original plans. It would have been a bit sour if Gary ha showed up and he would not have been there... More pics coming up.

#20 10 years ago

lol did you show him all the other threads on Pinside over dinner??? For a guy that told us here that he and his employees never read the forums somethings certainly amiss.

#21 10 years ago

IMG_2079 small.jpgIMG_2079 small.jpg
    IMG_2081 small.jpgIMG_2081 small.jpg
    Martij (left) and Robin (right) listen to Gary talk pinball during dinner at Robin's place.
    IMG_2083 small.jpgIMG_2083 small.jpg
    Playing some Star Trek Pro
    IMG_2085.JPGIMG_2085.JPG
    IMG_2089 small.jpgIMG_2089 small.jpg
    Group photo at the Koog game room. Gary played all of the Data East and Sega games that were present as he hadn't in a while.
    IMG_2090 small.jpgIMG_2090 small.jpg
    Gary talks, everybody else listens

#22 10 years ago

... Over a half a mile of wire, more man-hours than a Ford Taurus.....

image.jpgimage.jpg
    #23 10 years ago

great photos

#24 10 years ago

Maybe Stern's next pin after Mustang is Pinside.

#25 10 years ago

Those pics are dying for a caption competition..

#26 10 years ago

I hope Gary hasn't had an high score, it would be a shame to update your game.
    Next time bring him over to Verrebroek for some good old Belgian beer.
    You always get more info when Gary is drunk

#27 10 years ago

Did someone ask him when the metallica update will come?

#28 10 years ago

What a surprise it was! Thanks Jonathan for setting this up! Thanks Gary for being a super nice guy and a great guest with so many interesting things to tell. I scratched an item of my bucket list tonight and it was even more fun than I had imagined!

IMG_5027.JPGIMG_5027.JPG

#29 10 years ago

I have a question. How good of a player is Gary. Does he have some skills. I have always wondered and have always wanted to meet him and play a game with him. He is truly a pinball legend and hopefully someday I will get the privilege and honor in meeting him. Good Stuff Guys(:

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

I have a question. How good of a player is Gary. Does he have some skills. I have always wondered and have always wanted to meet him and play a game with him. He is truly a pinball legend and hopefully someday I will get the privilege and honor in meeting him. Good Stuff Guys(:

I bet Lyman lets him win the Stern employee tournaments...

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from dmesserly:

I bet Lyman lets him win the Stern employee tournaments...

HaHa-Number one rule of successful businessman or employee-"Make Your Boss Look Good."

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

I have a question. How good of a player is Gary. Does he have some skills. I have always wondered and have always wanted to meet him and play a game with him. He is truly a pinball legend and hopefully someday I will get the privilege and honor in meeting him.

Gary will be the first to say he's a terrible player, or as he often says: representing the drunk player. I played him on Spiderman last night and he didn't do well. However, it seemed to that he can easily improve his skills if he would practice some pinball basics, like catching the ball and such. He said he would ask Lyman for some tricks

#33 10 years ago

What a great surprise to get to meet Gary! I was distracted by a game on a pin when he came in, and didn't realize it was him at first. So it took a while for the penny to drop. I feel ashamed!

Lots of nice stories, and fun facts about the pins in De Koog. Gary is a really nice guy!

What a great evening

#34 10 years ago

Something tells me listening to Gary talk at dinner is eerily similar to any of his expo talks .

Growing up in the factory, Harry Williams, his dad, and keep going to the quarter mile of wire.

#35 10 years ago

Great photos and times. I like how the kitchen/dining area has the look of an Ikea showroom

Since bucket list was mentioned above; I recall the day I met Bill O'Donnell (Sr.) I was 16, I went up to him and introduced myself and put my hand out and he actually shook it and talked to me for a bit. I believe his was the first millionaire's hand I shook. Back when a million bucks was really something.

#36 10 years ago

nice to read this... and surelly great for those who shared these moments in real

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Something tells me listening to Gary talk at dinner is eerily similar to any of his expo talks .
    Growing up in the factory, Harry Williams, his dad, and keep going to the quarter mile of wire.

Oh no! Everyone seems to think that, but this was not my experience. Sure, there was lots of reminiscing about the old days (but only when I asked him about fun things like the backstory on TYFFASI). But Gary has opinions about just about everything in pinball and even stuff on Pinside. He finds a lot of the speculation on here pretty funny. What's even cooler is that he's also a good listener and was very interested in what Martijn and I had to say. Can you believe that?

Quoted from MrBally:

Great photos and times. I like how the kitchen/dining area has the look of an Ikea showroom

Haha, not really. Only the plates, wine glasses and mirror in the pic are Ikea. However, If you would swivel around 90 degrees and look at our kitchen it's 80% IKEA

Quoted from MrBally:

Since bucket list was mentioned above; I recall the day I met Bill O'Donnell (Sr.) I was 16, I went up to him and introduced myself and put my hand out and he actually shook it and talked to me for a bit. I believe his was the first Millionaire's hand I shook. Back when a million bucks was really something.

Wait, are you saying Gary is a millionaire? Oh no, there's so much more I could have asked him

Quoted from koen12344:

What a great surprise to get to meet Gary! I was distracted by a game on a pin when he came in, and didn't realize it was him at first. So it took a while for the penny to drop. I feel ashamed!
    Lots of nice stories, and fun facts about the pins in De Koog. Gary is a really nice guy!
    What a great evening

We will not hold it against you, Koen!

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Haha, not really. Only the plates, wine glasses and mirror in the pic are Ikea. However, If you would swivel around 90 degrees and look at our kitchen it's 80% IKEA

Believe it or not, the lamp shade over the table is why I mentioned it since it reminds me of the HEKTAR lamp that IKEA sells here in North America. I first saw it last week at the store by my house.

#39 10 years ago

Very cool story! Thank you for sharing the pics.

#40 10 years ago

What a great evening !

Thank you for sharing.

LTG : )
    Disclaimer : I'll get you my address for some lasagne.

#41 10 years ago

Very fun thread. Thanks for sharing

#42 10 years ago

For me, the real takeaway from this is how aware Gary & the rest of Stern Pinball are aware and lurking on Pinside. He made mention during a recent talk that they are not deaf to the criticism out there. I'm concluding from all of this that the decisions they make are far more complicated than we understand.

Gary.... my advice to you is PLEASE COMMUNICATE with us better. If software takes longer than we expect, if there are problems that have come up, have someone explain that. The "radio silence" is not working. Thanks for reading, Gary .

#43 10 years ago

Very cool, great looking pasta, and love to see the beer and pinball flowing!!

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Back when a million bucks was really something.

Truly spoken like someone with too much money. (I have no idea. Just seemed like an odd thing to tack on..)

#45 10 years ago

i bet it would be fun popping some beers with gary! thanks for the story.

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

What's even cooler is that he's also a good listener and was very interested in what Martijn and I had to say. Can you believe that?

Tell Us more.

#47 10 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

For me, the real takeaway from this is how aware Gary & the rest of Stern Pinball are aware and lurking on Pinside.

+1

Indeed, I've love to hear more of what was discussed.

#48 10 years ago

Please tell me you grilled Gary on updated code for games.

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from bemmett:

Please tell me you grilled Gary on updated code for games.

I take it you've never invited someone to your home for dinner...

#50 10 years ago

so what did Gary have to say Robin? Very interested to hear!

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-magazine-surprise and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.