(Topic ID: 197287)

Pinball Magazine No. 5: to spread or not to spread?

By unigroove

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Micky
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should the Wayne Neyens cover story be in 1 issue or spread over 2 issues of Pinball Magazine?”

• the entire story should be covered in 1 huge issue 41 votes
      72%
    • spread the story over 2 issues 9 votes
      16%
    • either way is fine with me 7 votes
      12%

(57 votes)

#1 6 years ago

As editor of Pinball Magazine I have been working on the upcoming fifth issue for quite a while. It's no secret that the cover story will cover the entire career of former Gottlieb pinball designer Wayne Neyens. Wayne designed about 180 games of which 150 or so made it into production. The plan is to feature each and every one of these. My conversations with Wayne resulted in a current cover story of more than 150 pages of just plain text. Add all the side articles and were looking at a 300+ page magazine!

So there is the idea of spreading the cover story content over two separate issues, which will result in two issues of probably 150 - 200 pages each. The first part will still be published in 2017, while the second part could be published early 2018. As I appreciate your opinion: what do you think?

#3 6 years ago

I'd rather see one issue with the lot, kinda like having your own Wayne Neyens ready reckoner. Plus the wait to read the second half would be too long for me.

#4 6 years ago

I would also prefer it in one issue. Is that do-able? How fat can a magazine physically be (in terms of pages) until it needs to be bound like a book?

#5 6 years ago

Really what we need is a BOOK

#6 6 years ago

I'd rather see it condensed into one issue using the best of the material you collected, then post the leftovers on your website.

#7 6 years ago

Just pump it all in one, charge more, call it a "special edition."

#8 6 years ago

I would prefer to read it all in one issue. If you need a little more cash for that issue that's fine with me.
    Keep up the great work.

#9 6 years ago

One big issue. Please.

LTG : )

#10 6 years ago

With shipping costs being so high I would definitely prefer one oversized issue. Shipping might be more than a standard size issue but it surely won't be as much as 2 separate standard size issues.

#11 6 years ago

Huge fan of Pinball Magazine. I have every one, and have ordered books, etc. as well.

I intend this as constructive criticism, nothing negative. I'm so glad you're making this magazine. I would suggest that you do more editing, in general. This story, while interesting, should easily be able to be cut down to one magazine (!) I think the magazine would be better if it had more broad coverage of the pinball world, rather than getting SOOOO deep on every topic. My 2 cents, with respect.

#12 6 years ago

With that long of a delay between issues, it has to be done in one!

#13 6 years ago

Needs to be in one issue. Like someone else said , it wouldn't bother me if I had to pay a little extra if it runs into more exspences.

#14 6 years ago

One issue / book please.

#15 6 years ago

I'll restate a comment I've made in the past that I wish there to be more editing and leave the "cream". Definitely would never vote for 2 issues to cover 1 topic.

#16 6 years ago

One issue. Kinda like a coffee table book.
    Charge more if needed.
    Im in, cant wait to buy it!

#17 6 years ago

I asked this question also in free monthly Pinball Magazine newsletter with an option to respond via email. Most of the emails that came in all prefer 2 separate issues. In this topic so far it's the opposite. . .

#18 6 years ago

1 issue. Charge more if necessary.
    Keep up the good work!

#19 6 years ago

One issue please. A lay-flat book is also a good idea.

Obviously we don't know what kind of content you have prepared, but I agree with frolic (which is rare): some past articles have been a bit long in the tooth, perhaps some strict editing could trim the issue down to a manageable size?

#20 6 years ago

Keep only the best content and edit down to one, please!

#21 6 years ago

Another vote for one issue with all the best condensed down.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-magazine-no-5-to-spread-or-not-to-spread?hl=backyardace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.