(Topic ID: 48057)

Pinball machines will NEVER DEPRECIATE

By houseofpin

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

400.jpg
    angrygirl.gif
    whiningdemotivator.jpg
    tumblr_lzv2affvF81qbkprxo1_400.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from houseofpin:

So that makes me the BAD PERSON and that should concern a lot of people on this board.
    Maybe some people have another AGENDA.....nobody wants to ever tell the emperor they have no clothes on....LOL !!!

I don't know if it's a bubble per se, or demographics. Either way, the "fuel" is nowhere near what it was like with the housing bubble (mainly credit). I do expect one or two of the boutique outfits to drop out at some point, though.

#61 11 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

Great point...I mean if there are any points to be made here. No one is loaning out money on pins and no one is mortgaging anything to buy pins, right?

What could seriously threaten the used market is if all these companies springing up create games we actually want to play, such that we're forced to sell a few used games to get in. I'm selling my WCS to help fund predator, for example. However, at least for now the cost of used is still below new.

#94 11 years ago
    Quoted from houseofpin:

IOWEPG.....you are right. However, do you truly believe most people here agree with you as well. Read that post again and it is close to what I have said. My point was only that A LOT of people are now buying these ASSUMING TO MAKE MONEY (if the METALLICA LE did not show any of you that so be it). I would not be surprised if a lot of the married guys justify their purchases to their wives as "investments". I never bought any machine thinking it was going to make me money (sure nobody likes to lose money) and if in 5 years I play my pins and lose $10,000 it was cheap enjoyment and even if I lose $15,000 or $20,000 it was worth it. As for the pins I bought for "trade bait" they were bought to use as currency for later pins. Does it matter if pins go up or down if your "currency" does the same. Personally, I do feel TRON PRO will go up (popular pin last run) but I understood the risk and am FINE WITH THE RISK. If it drops 20% so be it the machine I trade it for some day will most likely have dropped the same. If it doubles and I decide to sell it so be it as well as truly "anything has a price" and everyone here is lying to themselves if they don't feel that way. IF MM shot up to $50K tomorrow I am sure a lot of people would consider selling their MM (again, I didn't say everyone I said A LOT of people).

[snip]

Everything you're saying makes sense (I worked in RE-related during the bubble, and lived the dotcom bubble, so I ended up studying bubbles quite a bit), but really the question is whether or not your numbers are accurate with regards to flippers as an indicator.

Yes, if 70% of the purchases are purely for flipping purposes, that's a bad sign - still doesn't tell the whole story, though. I don't have any hard data to prove or disprove your number and I suspect you don't either.

I also believe, and was one of the first to say, that Gen-X is entering a point in their financial lives such that they can afford games and that's a driver of demand. Likewise, the boomers' kids are all off to college or finished, they're retiring and they're looking for hobbies. I think both of these are significant drivers of demand. Does it justify ALL of the increase? Can't say.

Regardless, the soft signs do seem to be there. There are far more threads talking about the price and availability of Metallica LE and far less said about its game play, art and so on. I'm not even seeing the usual Stern quality arguments. That's definitely a sign of speculation.

#96 11 years ago
    Quoted from Eryeal:

I know I'm in the minority, but I still see no proof that a large majority of the 250 in sales were from flippers.

I agree, though probably the next month or so will tell the story.

#99 11 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

I agree with you. Given the VERY limited aspects of LE models, and the fact that is was "cross-posted" to the Metallica fansite, and coming off the success of ACDC, I think we saw a "Perfect Storm" of VERY high demand.
    Is it really so hard to believe there's not 100x the LE allotment in ardent Metallica fans?
    However ANY "flipper" posting here magnifies the perceived problem into WWIII.
    BTW, I think its also likely that some folks who bought with zero INTENTION of flipping saw the wild demand and decided it might be worth more to someone else than to them and that they could live with the Premium and pocket some change.... I'll call those the accidental flippers... Still not part of some conspiracy...

Yes, I think you're right about the 'accidental flipper' thing. Once the price takes off, those people are thinking "I could sell this now, bank $2k, and have a premium for the price of a Pro.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-machines-will-never-depreciate?tu=jonnyo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.