Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Craig
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG0231.jpg
    IMAG0230.jpg
    IMAG0227.jpg
    IMAG0226.jpg
    20130520_121050.jpg
    IMAG0060_1.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

I visited a large fairly new amusement arcade yesterday afternoon (for those over this side of the Atlantic the rebuilt arcade on Weston-Super-Mare pier, rebuilt after the old one burnt down). This arcade is large and well equipped with an indoor go cart track, indoor rides, lot's of one armed bandits of course, lot's of video games though only 4 pins, Shrek, Spiderman, Batman & Big Buck Bounty Hunter.

It was fairly busy in the arcade, it was blowing a gale outside and you were pretty well sand blasted walking along the sea front so a lot of people were sheltering in the arcade. My wife and I wandered about a bit and played the pins, but we were the only ones, otherwise the pins were sadly neglected. All the high scores on the pins were set to 10,000,000 (which some one might be able to confirm is the default start up setting), if I'm right that means that no-one had really played those machines all day, still it meant I won 3 replays and my wife 1 and we could play what machine we liked whenever we liked. However, I was more concerned that this was a sign that pinball is just not fashionable any more and it's just us oldies keeping it alive!

#2 10 years ago

Take cash next time and try to pull a search and rescue. Sounds like you already have the search part complete. =)

Route games must be will cared for or people that love pins will not come back to play broken games. Maybe twice but after that they will give up on a location. Even more so with today's youth than when we were kids.

#3 10 years ago

Just to clarify, sadly neglected in that no one was interested in playing them, they worked fine.

#4 10 years ago

Ah very sad story then. I thought you meant neglect like dirt on PF broken rubbers and plastics etc..

Could be Location Location Location?
    Seems great to get a ton of games for cheap if they are cared for you are lucky to have them close.

#5 10 years ago

I thought it was going to be much worse....

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from TinyToo:

All the high scores on the pins were set to 10,000,000

If that's was the case it would suggest the backup batteries were gone.

#7 10 years ago

I went there last year, I was amazed at the modern pier with every thing they managed to squeeze in, like you said indoor go-karts at the top of the building.

I remember playing Batman on the ground floor and on one of the higher floors I played two other pins Shrek and Spiderman, I'm gutted I didn't see BBH.

Just a little way from the pier is another arcade in the high street and that is where I played Transformers for the first time.

I'm going to Great Yarmouth on Saturday, does anyone know a pinball location worth checking out here???

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from TinyToo:

All the high scores on the pins were set to 10,000,000

I assume that what you mean by this was the score at which you would win a free game (replay level)

I occasionally visit Weston Pier, and I can normally win several free games when I first start playing as the games have normally been recently played by non-pinheads and the replay scores are low. I usually am able to walk up to any of the pins there and have a game, but I do sometimes see the public playing them. Most of them don't have much idea of how to play unfortunately and walk away mystified afterwards. I can see how the general public are intimidated by the machines. I frequently end up having an audience when I play here as the youngsters are interested to see how these games are actually played properly. I will often let the families have the free game if their interest has been sparked and I'll move on to the next game.

These games have not been looked after though, they were all brand new a couple of years ago when the pier reopened, but never have been cleaned or serviced properly and have multiple faults. So sad as this doesn't give casual players who try out these games the true impression of pinball.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from bugray:

I'm going to Great Yarmouth on Saturday, does anyone know a pinball location worth checking out here???

Another place I frequent as my family lives over that way.

There are three pins on Great Yarmouth seafront, CSI in the Goldrush arcade is by far the best machine. There is a Pirates and a poorly South Park in Majestic Amusements nearby.

#10 10 years ago

sweet!! I have never played CSI

#11 10 years ago

Thanks for the info, my boys and I were delighted to play BBH and Bat
    man on Weston pier today!

IMAG0060_1.jpgIMAG0060_1.jpg

#12 10 years ago

Thanks for the info, my boys and I were delighted to play BBH and Bat
    man on Weston pier today!

#13 10 years ago

Awesome pins....

20130520_121050.jpg20130520_121050.jpg

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from TinyToo:

Just to clarify, sadly neglected in that no one was interested in playing them, they worked fine.

Even easier to purchase then

#15 10 years ago

Update on Great Yarmouth, I found all 3 pins.

I'm playing CSI everyday, £2 for 5 games, today I hit a 20million score, only another 5mill to get my name on the score board, I'm very determined to do this, this pin is in great playable condition.

I also found the other two pins, POTC was switched off and the South Park was playing just about... Many faults, I did play this one and managed to score enough for my initials to go on the score board, but it doesn't really count because its not playing right so is really a false score. Very strange that these two pins aren't even on legs!!!!

#16 10 years ago

Fingers crossed these pics work.

IMAG0226.jpgIMAG0226.jpg IMAG0227.jpgIMAG0227.jpg

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from bugray:

Fingers crossed these pics work.

lol what? on no legs!?

#18 10 years ago

Those must be the new legless hover -pins

#19 10 years ago

Yes those two pins sit on a shelf in that arcade - no nudging allowed!

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from Outlane-Avoider:

really? they sit on a shelf?

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinmanguy:

really? they sit on a shelf?

no they hover

#22 10 years ago

If you want I'll get a better side profile pic this week of the legless floating pins.

#23 10 years ago

I've came across many "unplayable" machine, they had so many things not working in them. In movie theatres and at the arcade on the pier at old orchard, maine

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from bugray:

Update on Great Yarmouth, I found all 3 pins.
    I'm playing CSI everyday, £2 for 5 games, today I hit a 20million score, only another 5mill to get my name on the score board, I'm very determined to do this, this pin is in great playable condition.
    I also found the other two pins, POTC was switched off and the South Park was playing just about... Many faults, I did play this one and managed to score enough for my initials to go on the score board, but it doesn't really count because its not playing right so is really a false score. Very strange that these two pins aren't even on legs!!!!

How did they sound? Did the shelves that they sat on have holes cut in them for the sound to come out? Very strange.

#25 10 years ago

The Walmart in a nearby town had a Dark Knight that was just terrible. The playfield was just horrible. As I was telling my wife how bad I wanted to go to the service desk and beg them to let me at least clean it a bit, I got a ball stuck on a misaligned switch. She dragged me away.

I try like crazy to keep all our stuff working at the arcade. I'm not the best at it. God knows I'm slow at figuring it out most times. But I fight like Hell to keep everything up. I remember going to arcades where the kids working there could care less about the machines. Now that I'm basically running the arcade for my boss, my obsession with upkeep has been cranked up to 11.

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from bugray:

I'll get a better side profile pic this week of the legless floating pins.

Where you using the force to lift those pins?

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from Outlane-Avoider:

I remember playing that South park about seven years ago. IIRC there was very little incline on the playfield and no easy way to adjust it without the legs on

#28 10 years ago

They are using that 2012 hoverboard technology that Marty McFly saw when he came up from 1986.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from Patofnaud:

They are using that 2012 hoverboard technology that Marty McFly saw when he came up from 1986.

Not to be a stickler, but Marty started out in 1985 and traveled to 2015. Got your years a bit off there...

...only 2 more years until I can get my car hover-converted and my power-lace Nikes... can't wait...

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from Anidor:

power-lace Nikes

#31 10 years ago

Best pics I could get of the magic, floating hover-pins.

I managed a few games on POTC earlier, sadly another neglected pin in need of some TLC.

IMAG0230.jpgIMAG0230.jpg IMAG0231.jpgIMAG0231.jpg

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from Anidor:

Not to be a stickler, but Marty started out in 1985 and traveled to 2015. Got your years a bit off there.

Sorry, I slipped and hit my head on the toilet bowl.

#33 10 years ago

Nice to see a post from Oxford. I lived there twice in the 80s (80-81 and 84-89). I can't remember seeing a single pin, but there must have been some. I do recall putting a lot of 10p coins in the Space Invaders game at the Old Tom pub.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-machines-sadly-neglected and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.