3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 203 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by patrickvc
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 11 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).png
    image_(resized).png
    2943660605_b191d6fda6_z_(resized).jpg
    20160617_101228_(resized).jpg
    th_(resized).jpg
    AC_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    planking_(resized).jpg
    d24d7b8f7a66990bd5806e05a6302eb2a939288b_(resized).jpg
    30e6aeba845475cea2f417e1aedb040f2b03c5c6_(resized).jpg
    6001210948735_350_350_(resized).jpg

There are 203 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 3 years ago

Heh ... "separate the garage from the house so exhaust emissions don't get inside" ...

My garage is *in my basement* ... there is no way to separate it from the house ... it's already inside!

(shrug)

#202 3 years ago

I have a portable A/C unit in both of my un-connected garages. They are the type that are on wheels and have the big plastic hose that vents outside through a partially open window. I have fully insulated (but only R13) garages (24x32 and 28x32) and they can drop the temperature 10-15 degrees. Enough to keep you from sweating while standing still. I also have another two in the house (all different manuf, and sizes 10K to 16K BTU). None require water to be drained during cooling mode. In fact, the ones that just cool, don't even have a tub to collect water - it blows out with the hot exhaust air (like a window unit). But they are undersized for my application - check the specs before purchase. My 16K BTU unit is closest - 21x30 rooms by spec.

I have only had my pinballs in the garage for about 9 months. No problems yet. But I have had a TVs, computers, and a vintage arcade in there 20 years without issue. I don't put daily drivers in the garages. No wet cars and do not open the big doors in the winter - this keeps the moisture pretty constant. The concrete floor helps slow temperature swings as well. I use a couple of $20 ceramic heaters in the winter while I'm out there (which is a lot). Min/Max temps I have seen in the garage (winter through summer) is 36 to 90F while the outside swings -12 to 100F. Much tighter when I'm out there with the heater or air conditioner on (60-85F)

#203 3 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

If you plan to keep a few pins in your garage then do it right and get a mini split. They are extremely energy efficient and while not cheap they are durable and work extremely well. For the cost of a C level B/W pin you can have your garage at perfect temp and humidity. No one wants to play pinball or work in a garage that is hot and humid or really cold. I have a Samsung mini split and love it. Costs practically nothing to run a month and does a great job.
    The portable units on wheels are crap in my experience, they are not durable and do not last. If you need to go cheap a window unit is a much better choice.

I am an HVAC contractor and this is the best plan. I would also check if your attic above has insulation because most don't. That will make a difference in efficiency also an insulated door. I put my game room in my garage. I installed a 2 ton unit, insulated the attic space and added foam insulation to the inside of the door. Hottest it gets in there with nothing on all day is about 90 or so. I've been running it this way for 6 months

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 17.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 4.00
    Electronics
    Z-connector (24 pin) Out of stock
    Professor Pinball
    $ 1,099.00
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 46.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 160.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 15.45
    Gameroom - Decorations
    KAHR.US Circuits
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 27.95
    There are 203 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside