Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 203 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by patrickvc
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).png
    image_(resized).png
    2943660605_b191d6fda6_z_(resized).jpg
    20160617_101228_(resized).jpg
    th_(resized).jpg
    AC_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    planking_(resized).jpg
    d24d7b8f7a66990bd5806e05a6302eb2a939288b_(resized).jpg
    30e6aeba845475cea2f417e1aedb040f2b03c5c6_(resized).jpg
    6001210948735_350_350_(resized).jpg

There are 203 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
    #51 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The playfield wood splits and planks along the grain.
    The plywood cab delaminates.
    The zinc plated parts rust.

Thanks vid!!! Thats what I wanted to know! About catching fire: Is that when you keep games inside a hot garage or it happens regardless of where you keep the pin? Thanks

#52 7 years ago

If worst comes to worst, you could always fold up one of your pins, which obviously takes up less room. Not the ideal solution as I know we all want our games up and playable, but it will keep that game from deteriorating. And maybe it gives you time to work out a solution to cooling your garage before moving a game into it.

Or you could remove the head and slide the body under your other three standing pins, and lay the head next to it. (That sentence out of context is a bit worrying, I hope I'm not on any sort of watch list now.)

#53 7 years ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:

Thanks vid!!! Thats what I wanted to know! About catching fire: Is that when you keep games inside a hot garage or it happens regardless of where you keep the pin? Thanks

It happens when the bridge rectifier fails.

#54 7 years ago
    Quoted from Bugsy:

If worst comes to worst, you could always fold up one of your pins, which obviously takes up less room. Not the ideal solution as I know we all want our games up and playable, but it will keep that game from deteriorating. And maybe it gives you time to work out a solution to cooling your garage before moving a game into it.
    Or you could remove the head and slide the body under your other three standing pins, and lay the head next to it. (That sentence out of context is a bit worrying, I hope I'm not on any sort of watch list now.)

Another great idea

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

It happens when the bridge rectifier fails.

Wow, whats the best way to make sure it doesn't fail?

#57 7 years ago

This thread has my interest and I am going to tune in tomorrow to find out what happens next. Will Kornfreak28 work things out before he ends up in the garage or will Mrs. Kornfreak28 have a change of heart and allow another pin inside? And, will we all find out the title of this new pin?

#58 7 years ago

The humidity and temp swings are the real problem. A $400 window unit ac that runs on a regular plug and a little insulation will solve your problem.

If you don't believe it, put your least favorite pin in the garage for a year and see how it goes.

#59 7 years ago
    Quoted from Silverballer:

This thread has my interest and I am going to tune in tomorrow to find out what happens next. Will Kornfreak28 work things out before he ends up in the garage or will Mrs. Kornfreak28 have a change of heart and allow another pin inside? And, will we all find out the title of this new pin?

Lol!!! Good one Silverballer! Very funny! My newest addition is Addams family! Its still making its way in the delivery truck (STI). Keeping my fingers crossed it arrives safely! Just wanted to prepare for it since it looks like it will arrive very soon!

#60 7 years ago
    Quoted from RTR:

The humidity and temp swings are the real problem. A $400 window unit ac that runs on a regular plug and a little insulation will solve your problem.
    If you don't believe it, put your least favorite pin in the garage for a year and see how it goes.

I believe you....

#61 7 years ago

Having the dreaded talk with the wife tonight

Was hoping to avoid it since we already had a talk about buying TAF

#63 7 years ago

How much will it cost to run an AC unit 24/7 to keep a garage cool in Texas?

Store a pin at a friends house?

#64 7 years ago
    Quoted from gtxjoe:

How much will it cost to run an AC unit 24/7 to keep a garage cool in Texas?

Thats another concern! I have no idea...

#65 7 years ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:

Thats another concern! I have no idea...

less than it would cost to fix the damage that you cause leaving it in a hot garage.

#66 7 years ago

The window units don't consume a lot of energy. Especially if you insulate what you can in the garage.

Keep it on 78-80 for the 95% of the time when you aren't in the garage and 72 for the 5% when you are playing.

Put a little money into the garage, put all the pins (and more) in there and turn it into your own personal arcade! Cars don't really need a garage. At least that is what I tell my wife....

#67 7 years ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:

The wife just won't allow another game inside the house
    I guess I must prepare to argue with her about this issue...

And you thought the garage was hot...

#68 7 years ago
    Quoted from RTR:

The window units don't consume a lot of energy. Especially if you insulate what you can in the garage.
    Keep it on 78-80 for the 95% of the time when you aren't in the garage and 72 for the 5% when you are playing.
    Put a little money into the garage, put all the pins (and more) in there and turn it into your own personal arcade! Cars don't really need a garage. At least that is what I tell my wife....

Lol! Good one!

#69 7 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

And you thought the garage was hot...

Yes sir! Lol

#70 7 years ago

I lived in Bakersfield Ca for years, where it is 90-105'F+ from May to Oct.
    It is a dry heat (6" annual rainfall) so that is better than high humidity;
    My garage had finished walls and ceiling with some insulation, but it got pretty hot in there, > 90'F.
    Most of my games seem no worse for wear, when stored in the garage or my self storage units.
    I did not witness any new planking but most of the games i collect are from the 60s-80s.

But quick changes in humid and temp can do the most damage, especially to BG paint delaminating.

#71 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

I lived in Bakersfield Ca for years, where it is 90-105'F+ from May to Oct.
    It is a dry heat (6" annual rainfall) so that is better than high humidity;
    My garage had finished walls and ceiling with some insulation, but it got pretty hot in there, > 90'F.
    Most of my games seem no worse for wear, when stored in the garage or my self storage units.
    I did not witness any new planking but most of the games i collect are from the 60s-80s.
    But quick changes in humid and temp can do the most damage, especially to BG paint delaminating.

Thanks!!!

#72 7 years ago

If a window A/C unit isn't feasible, then a portable A/C unit like the one below might work. It can be vented through a window or a wall.

https://www.amazon.com/Whynter-Dual-Portable-Conditioner-ARC-14S/dp/B0028AYQDC

#73 7 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

Mine is at 72, how do you survive?!

Mine is 68 lol

#74 7 years ago

You could get one of these, about the price of one B title Williams game, or you can do what the collectors on Long Island do and make friends with an Ac guy.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#76 7 years ago
    Quoted from Razorbak86:

If a window A/C unit isn't feasible, then a portable A/C unit like the one below might work. It can be vented through a window or a wall.
    amazon.com link »
    » YouTube video

I use one these for my gameroom bc of the odd ball window... it works great

#77 7 years ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:

Believe it or not I have been meaning to throw a lot of her stuff in the trash! You got a great point there

Do it! Throw all that useless crap in the trash! Your newest machine is MUCH MORE important then all that crap! Be the MAN!

#78 7 years ago

@Colehvac: More importantly, how much for that Balls a Poppin?

#79 7 years ago

Colehvac has the right idea.

I've got one of those "mini splits" in my garage that heats in the winter and cools in the summer.

It works flawlessly!

They aren't that expensive but get a good one, mine is "Mirage".

#80 7 years ago

I vote you move the wife to the garage and invest in some good fire extinguishers for the inevitable fires.

#81 7 years ago

Returning to the "Fire" issue ... That's older games, and that issue does not affect TAF.

That being said, TAF *does* have an issue with the magnets under the playfield ... each one should have a fuse added, if one is not already installed. Plenty of vendors sell fuse kits for TAF.

This will prevent browning of the playfield if the magnets lock on and heat up.

(how do you prevent magnets locking on? Regularly clean your game, and use compressed air to blow all the black dust off the magnet driver PCB under the playfield)

#82 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Williams games are famous for catching fire.
    It's that 'ol Williams quality that people get excited about.......

WMS: Wires May Sizzle.

To this day, slot machine technicians still say these words.

Nothing beat the Defender (video game, not the pin) Exploding Power Supply. Only when you were inside the machine and replaced a certain blown fuse (with the proper size/value replacement) A capacitor would start to creak and before you could back away; POW! And you had six feet of electrolyte soaked paper "ribbon" around you.

#83 7 years ago
    Quoted from Razorbak86:

What sucks about these is they are loud as shi* in the room and you still have to get rid of the moisture. I've got one and wish I'd never bought it.

#84 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Colehvac has the right idea.
    I've got one of those "mini splits" in my garage that heats in the winter and cools in the summer.
    It works flawlessly!
    They aren't that expensive but get a good one, mine is "Mirage".

Good point!

#85 7 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I vote you move the wife to the garage and invest in some good fire extinguishers for the inevitable fires.

Lolllll

#86 7 years ago

What about buying a game that has been kept in a garage that currently does not exhibit any damage? Any potential issues down the road?

#87 7 years ago
    Quoted from _litz:

Returning to the "Fire" issue ... That's older games, and that issue does not affect TAF.
    That being said, TAF *does* have an issue with the magnets under the playfield ... each one should have a fuse added, if one is not already installed. Plenty of vendors sell fuse kits for TAF.
    This will prevent browning of the playfield if the magnets lock on and heat up.
    (how do you prevent magnets locking on? Regularly clean your game, and use compressed air to blow all the black dust off the magnet driver PCB under the playfield)

Yes it has the fuse kit....

#88 7 years ago
    Quoted from Blenderhead:

Do it! Throw all that useless crap in the trash! Your newest machine is MUCH MORE important then all that crap! Be the MAN!

Lol, yes sir!

#89 7 years ago
    Quoted from Razorbak86:

amazon.com link »
    » YouTube video

Geeat idea!

#90 7 years ago

Here you go, just noticed you are in Laredo.

http://www.mirage.mx

Cheaper and get an a/c guy "on the down low" to install it for you.

Heaven forbid a few extra carbon emissions from the mini split ruin the ozone layer.

No brainer my man.

#91 7 years ago

About to have the dreaded "talk" stay tuned...

#92 7 years ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:

About to have the dreaded "talk" stay tuned...

About moving the wife out to the garage? Good luck!

#93 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Here you go, just noticed you are in Laredo.
    http://www.mirage.mx
    Cheaper and get an a/c guy "on the down low" to install it for you.
    Heaven forbid a few extra carbon emissions from the mini split ruin the ozone layer.
    No brainer my man.

Thank you sir!!! You have your pins in the garage?

#94 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

About moving the wife out to the garage? Good luck!

Yeah no chance at that at all! But throwing a lot of here useless stuff is a real possibility

#95 7 years ago

I wouldn't even think of it here in GA.

In fact, after SFGE, I parked SC in the basement, instead of leaving it on the trailer in the garage.

I wouldn't even risk it for a few days. And I have a somewhat climate controlled garage (it's part of the basement). Still won't risk it.

(need help to get it up into the house, so it had to wait a few days)

#96 7 years ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:

Thank you sir!!! You have your pins in the garage?

I have 7 pins in there right now and 3 upstairs in my game room (I never play those now). It's a great man cave, I've had the mini split for 3 years or so.

Best "mod" i've ever done!

Garage stays closed. No cars, no in and out.

#98 7 years ago

You guys come up with some pretty fancy ideas.

AC_(resized).jpgAC_(resized).jpg

#99 7 years ago

You've essentially run out of room, which most of us have to deal with. Ideally, you can get the wife interested in pinball and she won't mind more pins coming into the house. I haven't yet, so I get to rotate the collection. Good luck!

#100 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dewey68:

Ideally, you can get the wife interested in pinball and she won't mind more pins coming into the house.

I say get her her own space and take back your house.

th_(resized).jpgth_(resized).jpg

There are 203 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-machines-in-hot-garages/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.