Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 203 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by patrickvc
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).png
    image_(resized).png
    2943660605_b191d6fda6_z_(resized).jpg
    20160617_101228_(resized).jpg
    th_(resized).jpg
    AC_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    planking_(resized).jpg
    d24d7b8f7a66990bd5806e05a6302eb2a939288b_(resized).jpg
    30e6aeba845475cea2f417e1aedb040f2b03c5c6_(resized).jpg
    6001210948735_350_350_(resized).jpg
    There are 203 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 7 years ago

Hello guys,

What do you guys think about having pinball machines in a hot garage with no AC? I currently have my 3 machines inside the house, but I just purchased another machine and I just don't have any room inside anymore. Well I do, but the wife is against it!

Is it OK to have a pinball machine inside my hot garage? What about playing it too? What is the worst thing that can happen to it? Decal fading? Playfield planking or damage? Board or circuitry damage? Here the temperature reaches 100 degress plus...I estimate the temerature inside the garage is around 90 degress maybe. It is a very dry heat, no humidity. Any advise is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

#2 7 years ago

It's going to dry out the wood and cause cracking.

No different than wood furniture. If you wouldn't put that expensive furniture you inherited from your grandparents there, then you wouldn't want to put an expensive game made from wood there, either.

#3 7 years ago

It's the temperature swings that really mess stuff up, but dry air mitigates a lot of issues. Here in Utah, we have dry air and lots of people have garage games that do just fine. Humidity and temperature swings cause big issues.

Ideally you wouldn't want your games in a room hotter than 80 degrees, especially while being played, but I think you are probably ok if 90 is as hot as it gets and that's only for a short peak period in the day. Still, you might get some decal peeling, plastic warping, or cracking if it gets real hot for longer periods of time.

Garage games do get pretty dirty though. Lots of dust is going to make its way into your machines.

#4 7 years ago

Thanks for your replies guys...so basically no real damage? I just don't know what to do. Put a cealing fan in there?

#5 7 years ago

Anybody out there that has their pins inside a hot garage want to give their input and opinion? Thanks

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:

Thanks for your replies guys...so basically no real damage? I just don't know what to do. Put a cealing fan in there?

Well, it CAN be bad damage. You can get wood cracking on the playfield and cabinet. I'm not sure how much a fan will help if the temperature is real high. I don't think garages here are quite that hot.

#7 7 years ago

Backglasses will delaminate, and cabinets & playfields will start planking.

They need to be stored at a fairly stable temperature and humidity or they will get ruined.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Well, it CAN be bad damage. You can get wood cracking on the playfield and cabinet. I'm not sure how much a fan will help if the temperature is real high. I don't think garages here are quite that hot.

Maybe you are right, but it sure feels like it when I go into it! LOL. My garage is very very clean, mop it often and there is very little dust if any. I'm just worried about the heat messing up any of my games....

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

They need to be stored at a fairly stable temperature and humidity or they will get ruined.

Thanks! Did that ever happen to one of your pins because of a hot garage?

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Truth here. Do not do it.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:

Thanks! Did that ever happen to one of your pins because of a hot garage?

No, since I do not keep them in a hot garage

Fluctuations in heat and humidity are generally not kind to wood or paint that are not specifically designed to handle it.

#12 7 years ago

As I said above : if you wouldn't put wood furniture you paid thousands of dollars for there, then you don't want to put your games there.

Can you install a window AC unit in the garage or a portable unit?

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:

What is the worst thing that can happen to it?

It could catch on fire and burn your house down.

#14 7 years ago

Oh man! What do I do now?

How about buying a bunch of rotating fans to sort of dissipate the heat?

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from _litz:

As I said above : if you wouldn't put wood furniture you paid thousands of dollars for there, then you don't want to put your games there.
    Can you install a window AC unit in the garage or a portable unit?

Yeah you are right about that

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Wow!!! How???

#17 7 years ago

Do NOT put pinball machines in an un-airconditioned garage.

Cut a hole in the wall, and permanently install a window air conditioner

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:

Not going to work. You would just be blowing the hot air around like a convection oven.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Williams games are famous for catching fire.

It's that 'ol Williams quality that people get excited about.......

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:

Oh man! What do I do now?

No amount of fans will help. Heat is heat. Moving a room full of hot air does not cause the room to be cooler.

#21 7 years ago

I wouldn't even consider storing a machine in a hot garage. During the summer, I keep my house at a cool 76 degrees. Raises my electric bill but keeps the humidity down.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

I wouldn't even consider storing a machine in a hot garage. During the summer, I keep my house at a cool 76 degrees. Raises my electric bill but keeps the humidity down.

Mine is at 72, how do you survive?!

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

So was Bob Marley.

6001210948735_350_350_(resized).jpg6001210948735_350_350_(resized).jpg

#24 7 years ago

If you have the coin I would follow Vid's suggestion and put a window unit in. Your pin will love it and you will too.

#25 7 years ago

The temperature swings can cause board issues as well. Nothing major really, but it will cause some expanding and contracting on the boards which messes with the connectors and chips, and possibly wiring.

What we did is we installed some insulation sheets on our garage door which made a huge difference. We bought a few sheets of the insulation from Home Depot and measured, cut, and inserted them into the garage door slats. And soon after, we found someone selling a mini split and now our garage stays around 80 degrees in the summer without using very much energy. And if we want to go out and play for an extended period we just crank the AC down a few degrees. It also helps that the other 3 walls of the garage were already insulated when they built the house.

The insulation sheets I'm referring to are similar to this: http://goo.gl/Z93MUU

You can go to any home improvement store and get their advise on the best product for insulating garage doors. They will point you in the right direction.

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from Silverballer:

If you have the coin I would follow Vid's suggestion and put a window unit in. Your pin will love it and you will too.

If he has the money to buy another game without having room for it I would hope he has money for a window unit. My games are in my attached, finished garage. Because of code there is no AC vents into there. For now I have a 12k btw window unit. Will replace it with a split in a few years when I get tired of pissing with the window unit.

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from Silverballer:

For the price of a single plastic ramp, you can keep your games from destruction.

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

For the price of a single plastic ramp, you can keep your games from destruction.

If you live in a humid environment, won't you also need some level of humidity control? I've seen rusty games...

#29 7 years ago

A 76 degree room with 50 percent humidity feels much nicer than a 72 degree room with 60 percent humidity. It's not all about temp.

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

If you live in a humid environment, won't you also need some level of humidity control? I've seen rusty games...

An AC unit removes humidity as well.

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

An air conditioner acts as a dehumidifier if you think about it.

The coils remove heat from the air and at the same time collect condensation. The water that runs from the coils down the drain tube is all moisture from the air.

We want stable air temps and humidity. The up/down swings are what kills the wood.

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It's that 'ol Williams quality that people get excited about.......

OMG I didn't know that!

#33 7 years ago

So even with my games inside the house, they can still catch fire?

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

An air conditioner acts as a dehumidifier if you think about it.
    The coils remove heat from the air and at the same time collect condensation. The water that runs from the coils down the drain tube is all moisture from the air.
    We want stable air temps and humidity. The up/down swings are what kills the wood.

Very true

#35 7 years ago

The window unit will have to come later down the road. Besides catching fire, what else can happen to a pin in a hot garage?

#36 7 years ago

KornFreak28 - the fire thing is a troll. don't worry about that.

You need to add air conditioning to the garage, or bring the game inside.

Anything else is risking damage to the game.

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from Bugsy:

The temperature swings can cause board issues as well. Nothing major really, but it will cause some expanding and contracting on the boards which messes with the connectors and chips, and possibly wiring.
    What we did is we installed some insulation sheets on our garage door which made a huge difference. We bought a few sheets of the insulation from Home Depot and measured, cut, and inserted them into the garage door slats. And soon after, we found someone selling a mini split and now our garage stays around 80 degrees in the summer without using very much energy. And if we want to go out and play for an extended period we just crank the AC down a few degrees. It also helps that the other 3 walls of the garage were already insulated when they built the house.
    The insulation sheets I'm referring to are similar to this: http://goo.gl/Z93MUU
    You can go to any home improvement store and get their advise on the best product for insulating garage doors. They will point you in the right direction.

Thats a great idea!

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from _litz:

KornFreak28 - the fire thing is a troll. don't worry about that.
    You need to add air conditioning to the garage, or bring the game inside.
    Anything else is risking damage to the game.

You guys had me worried there for a minute lol

#39 7 years ago

Any of you experienced this first hand? Where your pins got damaged because of a hot garage? I just went in there and its probably around 80 degrees

#40 7 years ago

Korn -

If the garage is the only place (For now) at least bring in the backglass and keep it in the house. Temp swings really play havoc with the ink. You can always remove the backglass lights and play the machine in the garage, or the preferred description - future mancave complete with AC.

#41 7 years ago

My games are inside BTW

#42 7 years ago

My games are inside the house. I just bought another game and don't know where to put it...

#43 7 years ago

The wife just won't allow another game inside the house

I guess I must prepare to argue with her about this issue...i just wanted to know what issues the heat of a garage can create on a pin. If its that bad on a pin then I won't do it

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

Korn -
    If the garage is the only place (For now) at least bring in the backglass and keep it in the house. Temp swings really play havoc with the ink. You can always remove the backglass lights and play the machine in the garage, or the preferred description - future mancave complete with AC.

Thanks!

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:

Any of you experienced this first hand? Where your pins got damaged because of a hot garage? I just went in there and its probably around 80 degrees

Quoted from KornFreak28:

If its that bad on a pin then I won't do it

You certainly seem like you are going to do it regardless of what people say. Many have told you not to do it, some with insane amounts of experience (vid) and yet you still are looking for personal anecdotes.

#46 7 years ago

Yes, best to make room inside your house for this newest machine. Just move some of your wife's stuff that she is not really using that much out to the garage or up in the attic. Just be polite and reasonable, yet firm when discussing before moving her stuff. Report back tomorrow if space problem resolved, and if any new issues arise.

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:

You guys had me worried there for a minute lol

Be afraid.

Games catch fire all the time.

Williams games before Fire! (ironic, I know) are super famous for igniting because the bridge rectifiers were never fused.

30e6aeba845475cea2f417e1aedb040f2b03c5c6_(resized).jpg30e6aeba845475cea2f417e1aedb040f2b03c5c6_(resized).jpg

d24d7b8f7a66990bd5806e05a6302eb2a939288b_(resized).jpgd24d7b8f7a66990bd5806e05a6302eb2a939288b_(resized).jpg

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

You certainly seem like you are going to do it regardless of what people say. Many have told you not to do it, some with insane amounts of experience (vid) and yet you still are looking for personal anecdotes.

Lol, no I will not do it. This newest machine is too valuable. I just wanted to see if it was possible to have it in the garage without any issues

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:

just wanted to know what issues the heat of a garage can create on a pin.

The playfield wood splits and planks along the grain.

The plywood cab delaminates.

The zinc plated parts rust.

planking_(resized).jpgplanking_(resized).jpg

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Yes, best to make room inside your house for this newest machine. Just move some of your wife's stuff that she is not really using that much out to the garage or up in the attic. Just be polite and reasonable, yet firm when discussing before moving her stuff. Report back tomorrow if space problem resolved, and if any new issues arise.

Believe it or not I have been meaning to throw a lot of her stuff in the trash! You got a great point there

There are 203 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-machines-in-hot-garages and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.