(Topic ID: 263019)

Pinball Machines better investment than stock market?

By wolfemaaan

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 91 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by imnitguy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Pinball better investment than stocks?”

• Yes, way better and you get to play your investment 32 votes
    24%
  • Nope, stocks make way more money and you can buy pins with that 82 votes
    61%
  • I like Turtles and could give a sh*t about investments 20 votes
    15%

(134 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hqdefault-1 (resized).jpg
b568692b1c01d9c3acb5c79d0717891ef9c06600 (resized).jpg
3a5861c95871f4063a7f57a2ed97988a (resized).jpg
C7F0B702-D293-4CDF-96B1-2E1AF230A1D8.gif
40C95C70-5E87-48C3-8E4B-921EC96A0F0A (resized).jpeg
7AFB779D-20B3-48ED-87F3-5764D8E378BB (resized).png
5E5BADA4-A12D-4218-90D1-879CF00D4C86.gif
3a5861c95871f4063a7f57a2ed97988a (resized).jpg
2D9F7C56-B3C7-4488-B618-D86DDB9B7219 (resized).jpeg
4C5DEC96-D6F2-417C-9CA1-2F14CC690BFF (resized).jpeg
43106397-9BA6-4BF1-BDC1-5F342EAAE7D0 (resized).jpeg
325f1 (resized).jpg
2f0 (resized).png
There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Please tell me where you are seeing these. Here on pinside they are as crazy as ever. I need a new source.

I rarely ever see good deals on pinside. It's always on facebook. But if you wanted a game like Munsters or Stranger Things, you can get HUO games for $5,000. A friend in Memphis just sold a bunch of decent games like LW3, Sharkey's Shootout, DE Simpsons, Earthshaker for between $1,800 and $2,200.

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Yes, I was not trying to claim that pinball is a valid investment strategy...It was just the mention of Whitewater that made me examine it.
As a couple of other data points...
I bought my Mousin' Around in mid-2004 for $650, and just sold it for $1900 (292% increase).
For that time period...Dow was up 211%, S&P was up 227%, and NASDAQ was up 368%.
I bought my Eight Ball Deluxe LE in late 1984 for $900, and could probably sell it for $2500 (277% increase).
For that time period...Dow was up 1840%, S&P was up 1592%, and NASDAQ was up 3081%.
So...invest in Whitewater or Mousin, but not EBD.
Of course, seems like NASDAQ is the real way to go.

You should start a stock market for Pinball machines.

#53 4 years ago

WH2O is up, WW down! Buy! Sell! It’s a bumper market! Should we wait for a Flipper market or get out now?

4C5DEC96-D6F2-417C-9CA1-2F14CC690BFF (resized).jpeg4C5DEC96-D6F2-417C-9CA1-2F14CC690BFF (resized).jpeg
#54 4 years ago

I’m calling Gary and cornering the market on ramps

2D9F7C56-B3C7-4488-B618-D86DDB9B7219 (resized).jpeg2D9F7C56-B3C7-4488-B618-D86DDB9B7219 (resized).jpeg
#55 4 years ago
3a5861c95871f4063a7f57a2ed97988a (resized).jpg3a5861c95871f4063a7f57a2ed97988a (resized).jpg
#56 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Wish I had a Blue Chip machine.

What kind of ass down votes this

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

That was my thought. If I get in financial trouble, painfully i could unload my pins and pay the mortgage for bit. Hopefully I never have to do it

Try selling one of your pins if you can't have cash in hand by the end of day than you can't even compare to stocks

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Try selling one of your pins if you can't have cash in hand by the end of day than you can't even compare to stocks

Except when the market collapses to a point they limit transactions.

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Except when the market collapses to a point they limit transactions.

LOL large cap stocks trade millions of shares a day the average person trades 100's liquidity is not an issue with stocks it is with pins

#60 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

LOL large cap stocks trade millions of shares a day the average person trades 100's liquidity is not an issue with stocks it is with pins

Nothing in the stock market turns to cash in hand on the same day. You might get digital numbers moved, but it’s not cash in hand. If a dude comes to my house with cash for a pinball machine, it’s instant cash in hand.

I just emptied an account from Fidelity and it’s going to take 2 weeks to get the check. And then I have to cash it

Liquidity Pins>Stocks

#61 4 years ago
Quoted from 2pupPinz:

I’m calling Gary and cornering the market on ramps[quoted image]

I thought Freeplay had the ramp market cornered?

#62 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Nothing in the stock market turns to cash in hand on the same day. You might get digital numbers moved, but it’s not cash in hand. If a dude comes to my house with cash for a pinball machine, it’s instant cash in hand.
I just emptied an account from Fidelity and it’s going to take 2 weeks to get the check. And then I have to cash it
Liquidity Pins>Stocks

Wow you don't have a clue

#63 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Wow you don't have a clue

Well considering you can’t sell that LW3 for more than $2K, haters gonna hate.

Meanwhile me RN

5E5BADA4-A12D-4218-90D1-879CF00D4C86.gif5E5BADA4-A12D-4218-90D1-879CF00D4C86.gif
#64 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Well considering you can’t sell that LW3 for more than $2K, haters gonna hate.
Meanwhile me RN[quoted image]

LOL i would not ask close to that as I did not pay close to that as for stock vs game one wires money in and out of brokerage accounts checks are never used

#65 4 years ago

What Is an Investment?
An investment is an asset or item acquired with the goal of generating income or appreciation. In an economic sense, an investment is the purchase of goods that are not consumed today but are used in the future to create wealth. In finance, an investment is a monetary asset purchased with the idea that the asset will provide income in the future or will later be sold at a higher price for a profit.

What Is a Collectible?
A collectible refers to an item that is worth far more than it was originally sold for because of its rarity and/or popularity. The price for a particular collectible usually depends on how many of the same item are available as well as its overall condition. Common categories of collectibles include antiques, toys, coins, comic book, and stamps. People who amass collectibles take a lot of time to collect them, and usually store them in locations where they will not be ruined.

Both copied from Investopedia.com.

To the average Joe, it is entertainment.
To a few owners they are a collectible.
To the routers, it’s an investment.

I would answer your question by saying, no.

If pinball machines were a better investment than stocks, then why aren’t more people buying them with the hopes they go up in value?

#66 4 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

If pinball machines were a better investment than stocks, then why aren’t more people buying them with the hopes they go up in value?

Well, some people DO buy them expecting the value to increase. Though, I am not saying that this is the norm (or that it is wise).

And yes, pinball is more of a collectible to most than a true investment. Though there are also many people who "invest" in collectibles (with varying degrees of success).

#67 4 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Well, some people DO buy them expecting the value to increase. Though, I am not saying that this is the norm (or that it is wise).
And yes, pinball is more of a collectible to most than a true investment. Though there are also many people who "invest" in collectibles (with varying degrees of success).

I know people who invest in collectible autos. But it is a business, not just putting them in a garage, driving them and expecting them to appreciate.

Pinball machine collecting is more akin to automobile collecting. It depends on the current generation of collectors and buyers. In the auto world, they have shown how the market changes with each generation of buyer. There is only a small/tiny part of the market which appreciates continually.

In 10-20 years, you will see a lot of pin collections being sold off by family’s who have no interest in the collection. The same thing happens with each generation of automobile collector. The boomer generation is currently driving the pinball market. As they pass away, the market will decline. Then it might be another 10-20 years before the millennials start driving the market.

It is an easy argument to prove. Pick one pinball machine and one stock and compare the value in X months. I bet the stock will beat the pin, hands down.

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

I know people who invest in collectible autos. But it is a business, not just putting them in a garage, driving them and expecting them to appreciate.
Pinball machine collecting is more akin to automobile collecting. It depends on the current generation of collectors and buyers. In the auto world, they have shown how the market changes with each generation of buyer. There is only a small/tiny part of the market which appreciates continually.
In 10-20 years, you will see a lot of pin collections being sold off by family’s who have no interest in the collection. The same thing happens with each generation of automobile collector. The boomer generation is currently driving the pinball market. As they pass away, the market will decline. Then it might be another 10-20 years before the millennials start driving the market.
It is an easy argument to prove. Pick one pinball machine and one stock and compare the value in X months. I bet the stock will beat the pin, hands down.

In the last 100 years, we’ve seen several stock market crashes. We’ve only seen 1 pinball crash

#69 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

In the last 100 years, we’ve seen several stock market crashes. We’ve only seen 1 pinball crash

That’s not accurate. What about when they were banned.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/g284/4328211-new/

Explain that to my grandfather who loved to play pinball until they got banned.

The stock market was not shut down for 30 years after the crash because it was thought to be a game of chance rather than skill.

#70 4 years ago

Pinballs popularity has ebbed and flowed over time. We are nowhere near it’s height of the past.

#71 4 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

Pinballs popularity has ebbed and flowed over time. We are nowhere near it’s height of the past.

There are more arcades/Barcades now and pinball machines being released every month than any other time in history

We used to have Gottlieb, Williams, Bally, Data East

Now we got AP, Stern, JJP, Deeproot, Chicago, Spooky, etc

You lost all your money last week in the stock market? Need a hug?

#72 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

There are more arcades/Barcades now and pinball machines being released every month than any other time in history

Not trying to argue with you, but you are mistaken. There are others on this forum who know the history better than I do.

Just look at all of the manufacturers that no longer exist vs today.

List of pinball manufacturers
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigationJump to search
This is a partial list of pinball manufacturers of past and present organized alphabetically by name. The article only includes producers of pinball machines at least in a small series which excludes makers of single unit custom pinball machines.

Contents
1 Present
2 Past
3 See also
4 External links

Present[edit]
American Pinball
Chicago Gaming Company
Dutch Pinball
Haggis Pinball
HomePin
Jersey Jack Pinball
Multimorphic Inc
Penny K Pinball
Phenix Pinball (french company)
Quetzal Pinball
Spooky Pinball
Stern Pinball
SunCoast Pinball
Team Pinball
Escapism Pinball

Past[edit]
Allied Leisure (Centuri)
Alvin G
Atari
Bally Manufacturing
Bill Port
Capcom
Centro Matic
Coffee-Mat
Chicago Coin
Data East
Exhibit Supply Company
Fascination Int., Inc (Allied Leisure)
Game Plan
Genco
Gottlieb
Hankin
Heighway Pinball
Inder
InterFlip/Recreativos Franco
Jennings & Company
Jeutel pinball
Nordamatic
Nuova Bell/Bell Games
Maresa
Mirco Games
Midway Games
Pinstar
Mr. Game
Peyper
Playmatic
Rally Play
Recel/Petaco
Sega Pinball
Sega, S.A. SONIC
Spinball S.A.L.
Taito of Brazil
United Manufacturing
tecnoplay
The Valley Company
Viza
Wico
Williams Electronics / WMS Industries
Zaccaria
Zidware

#73 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

What kind of ass down votes this

A big one.

#74 4 years ago

Well, good luck with your pinball investment. I am doing fine with the market. Made more money on stocks and bonds than I ever could with pinball machines. There is a solid reason there are Trillions of dollars in the market vs millions in pinball.

The biggest investors in pinball are the ones investing in the companies. Not the ones buying them.

The best advice I could pass on is to read some investing literature. Learn about the Tulip mania and start buying now while the market is on sale. It will only go up over time.

Oh and don’t count on SS or the government. The best plan is to have your own money to live off of.

#75 4 years ago

One more for the road...the best investment you can ever make is in yourself. Go to college. Educate yourself on your own. But I hope you are not seriously thinking you can get rich on pinball machines. If so, then start a pinball manufacturing company and sell them to everyone else.

#76 4 years ago

Any one can make money during a bull market. When the virus stops and all the negative quarterly reports come in, thats when I'll be impressed by who is making money.

#77 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

One could say the same about American Classic Cars & Boomers. Some of the ugly 70s cats I thought nobody would ever want. But I’ve yet to see those prices come down

7AFB779D-20B3-48ED-87F3-5764D8E378BB (resized).png7AFB779D-20B3-48ED-87F3-5764D8E378BB (resized).png
#78 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Lol.....not even close dude. 1978 is credited with being the peak year in the modern era with estimates of about 200K machines being produced. If you go to IPDB you can count somewhere around 90 different manufacturers world wide that year producing games. Bally alone had a production of approximately 90K +/- of various models in total that year. We’re nowhere close to that now. Of course if you want to go way back to the 30’s, some of the early games exceeded 50K on a single model.

As far as the investment piece of it goes, it’s not a lot of different than stocks. It’s highly dependent on the title/stock you choose.

#79 4 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

If you go back to the start of this thread, you can see that I did exactly that.

And no, the stock market did not win "hands down", both Whitewater and Mousin' Around beat the DOW and S&P (but not NASDAQ). Eight Ball Deluxe (over a much longer period) fared much worse than the market.

And obviously, picking one stock and one pin would not prove anything...you could compare Street Fighter to Google or you could compare Twilight Zone against WorldCom.

In any case, I am not arguing that "pinball investment" is a good idea, just that some people ARE expecting (rightly or wrongly) the values to rise.

#80 4 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

And no, the stock market did not win "hands down", both Whitewater and Mousin' Around beat the DOW and S&P (but not NASDAQ). Eight Ball Deluxe (over a much longer period) fared much worse than the market.

I see what you are saying. But you are comparing individual machines to indexes. That would be like me comparing a single stock to the pinball market overall. I could pick a stock that easily beats the pinball market.

There is not enough accurate data available on pinball sales to make any kind of fair comparison. One or two machine sales does not make a market worth investing in.

I am not investing in TP or hand sanitizer, although there are some that would disagree with me. Some of them are now stuck holding items that are not worth anything more than they were when they bought them.

Pinball investing=very very risky investing=good luck, stay healthy and you will most likely work for the rest of your life

#81 4 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

But I hope you are not seriously thinking you can get rich on pinball machines.

Meanwhile Gary Stern...

40C95C70-5E87-48C3-8E4B-921EC96A0F0A (resized).jpeg40C95C70-5E87-48C3-8E4B-921EC96A0F0A (resized).jpeg
#82 4 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

I see what you are saying. But you are comparing individual machines to indexes. That would be like me comparing a single stock to the pinball market overall. I could pick a stock that easily beats the pinball market.
There is not enough accurate data available on pinball sales to make any kind of fair comparison. One or two machine sales does not make a market worth investing in.
I am not investing in TP or hand sanitizer, although there are some that would disagree with me. Some of them are now stuck holding items that are not worth anything more than they were when they bought them.
Pinball investing=very very risky investing=good luck, stay healthy and you will most likely work for the rest of your life

Lucky Duck so loaded and educated he’s here on the Pinside Forum

C7F0B702-D293-4CDF-96B1-2E1AF230A1D8.gifC7F0B702-D293-4CDF-96B1-2E1AF230A1D8.gif
#83 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

This is wrong.

#84 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

This is wrong.

Maybe in IA, but not Cali

#85 4 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

Of course you could pick a stock that would do better. You could also pick a stock that does worse. I used an index because that is a much better guide to the stock market. I could have compared it to Google or WorldCom...but all that would have said is that great stocks are great and bad stocks suck.

If there had been a "pinball index", I would have used that. Instead, I went with the 3 machines that I personally had definitive data on. Two of them appear to have been good "investments" (even though I did not purchase them with that in mind) compared to the overall stock market, and one does not.

I was not trying to claim pinball as a wise (or even valid) investment strategy. It was just something I thought would be amusing to examine. And I was a bit surprised by the results - I expected all 3 machines to have done significantly worse than the market, but that was not the case.

#86 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Maybe in IA, but not Cali

Someone already brought this up in another thread. It's not true. The numbers were higher back in the day. The only one putting out a lot of games now is Stern - who may very well be selling more games than they did back then, but the rest of the new companies aren't selling nearly what was sold back then (on average).

#87 4 years ago

The rest of the companies didn’t exist. So they are doing at least 100% better considering they were turning out 0 pins prior

#88 4 years ago

Wut? As you said in your previous post, there were other companies putting out games, Stern wasn't even the biggest of them at the time. More than you have listed.

#89 4 years ago

Stocks down 30%

Pins down 0%

#90 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Stocks down 30%
Pins down 0%

3a5861c95871f4063a7f57a2ed97988a (resized).jpg3a5861c95871f4063a7f57a2ed97988a (resized).jpgb568692b1c01d9c3acb5c79d0717891ef9c06600 (resized).jpgb568692b1c01d9c3acb5c79d0717891ef9c06600 (resized).jpghqdefault-1 (resized).jpghqdefault-1 (resized).jpg
2 years later
#91 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

See the medevial madness remake thead by okarcades.
He has had it on location and it is up to 26000 plays. After the split with the location he is showing that they can be a good investment if you get the right location.

I can't imagine the dimpling and wear that a 26,000 play MM remake will have on it. I have a MBr with under 1200 plays and wear is evident. I am installing a playfield protector shortly. I am on line for a remake in 2023 and I hope the cleancoat on it is more like my CCr than the original AFMs!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, WI
Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 12.95
17,250 (OBO)
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Toppers
Pinheadz

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Danbury, WI
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-machines-better-investment-than-stock-market/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.