New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 50971)

Pinball Machines are Video Games to 25 year olds

By vid1900

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 96 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by ronlisa
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 16 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

orchid-washcar.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    images.jpg
    skel.jpg
    super-don-quixote.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Penny_Arcade_1.JPG
    canister.jpg
    canister.jpg
    DSCN1406.JPG
    IMG_20130506_190348.jpg
    IMG_20130506_190339.jpg
    2013-05-10_08-24-01_211.jpg

There are 96 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 7 years ago

I'd like to find one of these.
    super-don-quixote.jpg skel.jpg

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I have that game on my Dragons Lair. It boots up to dragons lair,but has 15 laser disk games on it!

#53 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

What is wrong with being a delivery guy for another 25 years? Later in life, if you are old and frail and cannot move an appliance; wouldn't it be handy to have a "delivery guy" available to help you? Would it matter to you if he/she was 20-25 or 40-45?
    I find it interesting how some individuals seem to look down on hdousekeeping staff at hotels, janitors, sanitation workers etc. What if everyone strived for and became professionals or skilled trades workers; who would deliver appliances, clean up and take out the garbage etc?

Id like to see those guys being in surgery in an hospital that dosen't have janitors/cleaning staff. Maybe once they nearly die from infection they are gonna realise that ''standing'' is virtual at best. But same in pinball, how many times did you ended up in some obnoxious jackass boasting about is MM,CV,AFM...

#54 7 years ago
    Quoted from JackSlater:

Id like to see those guys being in surgery in an hospital that dosen't have janitors/cleaning staff. Maybe once they nearly die from infection they are gonna realise that ''standing'' is virtual at best. But same in pinball, how many times did you ended up in some obnoxious jackass boasting about is MM,CV,AFM...

If anyones read the book world war z, I like the bit about the retraining programs after the zombie war where professionals and celebrities are now learning skills from their maids and gardeners.

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinmanguy:

If anyones read the book world war z, I like the bit about the retraining programs after the zombie war where professionals and celebrities are now learning skills from their maids and gardeners.

I'm gonna read that one, sounds interresting.

I'm no hunter at all but wouldn't be fun to see those big city slackers having to learn to hunt for food from ''inbreed white trash rednecks'' as they see them? LOL

back on thread those quys didn't have a clue, it's no crime.

#56 7 years ago
    Quoted from Breadfan:

You can't just do pins. You gatta throw in a couple classic vids.

that's a lot of Star Wars stuff

#57 7 years ago
    Quoted from sanctumwear:

My employees are mostly young girls ages 18-24. I recently discovered they had no idea what one of these is used for. Obsolete technology.

hehe, these are now sold as "science rockets" in clear plastic with alka-seltzer tablets

I wish that I would have saved a lot more of mine. they're great for storing small parts and such

#58 7 years ago

For the record, I am 25 and would never call pinball machines "video games" .. I own two pins, and thanks to the internet (specifically these forums) my collection will only continue to grow

However, my younger brother, his 20 year old gf and her 18 year old sister were playing my Jurassic Park yesterday, and the two girls were playing and neither of them knew how to shoot the ball into play, and both walked away from the machine after their first ball, thinking the game was over. Her sister specifically had no clue what to do. When she saw the machines, she said "ohh cool I have seen these things before" ... these "things"??? ughhh very frustrating to watch people who don't what know pinball machines are. Anyone else get really paranoid when someone who doesn't know what they are doing touch your machine?

#59 7 years ago
    Quoted from AnthonyM88:

Anyone else get really paranoid when someone who doesn't know what they are doing touch your machine?

I do. Double flippers annoy the heck out of me. I'm always happy to introduce anyone to pinball, but I try to show them some basics, and then they just get on there and double flip like a monkey f@$king a football and I get irritated.

It's weird where there is kind of a hard cut off in the generational gap with pinball. I'm only 29, but most people within a year or so of my age seems to remember pins pretty well, even specific titles, etc. However, about 5 years back from me, there seems to be a lot less proportionately who even know what a pinball machine is.

#60 7 years ago
    Quoted from The_Director:

I do. Double flippers annoy the heck out of me.

Or the permanent "flipper hold" no matter where the ball is on the playfield. Combine that with the double and you have some real fun. I guess it could be compared to bad driving habits some people just don't know/don't care.

#61 7 years ago

It's weird where there is kind of a hard cut off in the generational gap with pinball. I'm only 29, but most people within a year or so of my age seems to remember pins pretty well, even specific titles, etc. However, about 5 years back from me, there seems to be a lot less proportionately who even know what a pinball machine is.

I agree with this. I still remember pinball machines from when I was a kid, but tons of my friends never played/liked them when they were kids. It seems I am right at the border (if not passed the border) of when pinballs became less relevant/fun to kids, and therefore, might be one of the youngest to own a couple of them. It sucks that not a lot of people younger than me will ever get into this hobby.

#62 7 years ago

I don't think it's just the younger generation. I had an electrician over to run some wire for a hot tub install. We were in the basement discussing it. He was an older guy and told me I'd have to move some of my ping pong machines.
    Alex

#63 7 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Maybe I'm just too informed (always seeking out knowledge), but I'm amazed at how much people "don't know" about history-wise.
    I'm watching the apprentice last night and lotoya jackson didn't know the penn & teller act about how telller never talks. In the last 36 years you've never seen their act?
    I realize pinball isn't exactly on the radar like when I was growing up, but there are plenty of things "before my time" that I'm at least aware of. I grew up before punch cards, B&W Tv, morse code, ice freezers, washboards, but I know what they all look like and operate.

I am 47 and had no clue what these guys did. Sounds like a Las Vegas magic act or something. I watch a minimal amount of TV as there are too many other good things to do with my time. Are they really part of history? Is there some useful knowledge to be gained by knowing about them? Are they just celebs and I'm not missing much?

#64 7 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

I don't think it's just the younger generation. I had an electrician over to run some wire for a hot tub install. We were in the basement discussing it. He was an older guy and told me I'd have to move some of my ping pong machines.
    Alex

I've heard several people use the expression, "bouncing around like a ping pong machine."

#65 7 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

I am 47 and had no clue what these guys did. Sounds like a Las Vegas magic act or something. I watch a minimal amount of TV as there are too many other good things to do with my time. Are they really part of history? Is there some useful knowledge to be gained by knowing about them? Are they just celebs and I'm not missing much?

I believe that penn & teller still have a [long-standing] stint at the rio in las vegas. if you're there, you should really check them out as they put on a very entertaining show.

plus, penn is a fantastic blues piano player and he will usually open their shows with him and another guy on bass playing for about 30 mins.

edit:
    and while teller doesn't speak during their act, he's an interesting person to speak with after their shows (penn and teller are happy to sign autographs and chat with their 'fans' after each of their shows)

#66 7 years ago

Hey vid check this out. My neighbor is probably in his mid 50s and has played my pins a few times. He's not into them but will play a little to be sociable.

So last year I was in the garage building an arcade cabinet. He comes over and is asking about it. I explain it's for playing video games and show him where the control panel and monitor will go, etc. I can tell he can't really wrap his head around it. He didn't grasp the idea of the monitor or computer at all. Sounds really complicated, a lot of parts, how will you do the back part, and so on.

A couple days later we're talking again (visualize Hank Hills in driveway) he tells me about a place in town he stopped by that has a couple pinball machines. He couldn't remember what the titles were but knew I liked pinball. So I go over there and I'll be damned if they weren't video games!

At that point I realized he thought I was building a pinball machine! The terms are completely synonymous. Video games = pinball!

#67 7 years ago

like a monkey f@$king a football

Bwaaaaahahahahahahaaaaa!!

images.jpg

#68 7 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Maybe I'm just too informed (always seeking out knowledge), but I'm amazed at how much people "don't know" about history-wise.
    I'm watching the apprentice last night and lotoya jackson didn't know the penn & teller act about how telller never talks. In the last 36 years you've never seen their act?
    I realize pinball isn't exactly on the radar like when I was growing up, but there are plenty of things "before my time" that I'm at least aware of. I grew up before punch cards, B&W Tv, morse code, ice freezers, washboards, but I know what they all look like and operate.

You grew up BEFORE all that stuff? Did you meet Moses too?

#69 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

What is wrong with being a delivery guy for another 25 years? Later in life, if you are old and frail and cannot move an appliance; wouldn't it be handy to have a "delivery guy" available to help you? Would it matter to you if he/she was 20-25 or 40-45?
    I find it interesting how some individuals seem to look down on hdousekeeping staff at hotels, janitors, sanitation workers etc. What if everyone strived for and became professionals or skilled trades workers; who would deliver appliances, clean up and take out the garbage etc?

More importantly, who is going to let them sleep safe at night? We live in a world that has walls, and those walls need to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You Lieutenant Weinberg???

#70 7 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

Sounds like a Las Vegas magic act or something.

Lol.

#71 7 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

hehe, these are now sold as "science rockets" in clear plastic with alka-seltzer tablets
    I wish that I would have saved a lot more of mine. they're great for storing small parts and such

http://www.parentsconnect.com/parenting-your-kids/activities/science-experiments/321_blast.html

At least they used the correct terminology.

#72 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I have about 45 machines.

Excuse me. I just spit water all over my laptop.

#73 7 years ago

Nothing is wrong with it. In fact I envy these people since they don't have to put up with corporate jackasses.

Quoted from MrBally:

What is wrong with being a delivery guy for another 25 years?

#74 7 years ago

I do. Double flippers annoy the heck out of me. I'm always happy to introduce anyone to pinball, but I try to show them some basics, and then they just get on there and double flip like a monkey f@$king a football and I get irritated.

Sure it's irritating because they suck at pinball, but the machines are totally built for this.

#75 7 years ago
    Quoted from PurpleTophat:

I have about 45 machines.

Excuse me. I just spit water all over my laptop.

But, let me qualify; I did not buy them at today's prices, they are games left from my route.

I once had 30 Gorgars.

I once had 6 MMs (they never made money for us when they were introduced, so I never bought more).

I once had 40 Stargate (it was a video game from Williams that made insane money).

#76 7 years ago

How many of those Gorgars you have left, Vid?

#77 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

How many of those Gorgars you have left, Vid?

One.

As the whole videogame/pinball coin-op biz turned into Crane games, I sold off everything and closed down the warehouse. By that time I may have only had 3 Gorgars.

You guys would have loved the glory days of pinball. Walking into the arcade and seeing 4 brand new Gorgars side by side.......

#78 7 years ago

Those were the days, vid, those were the days. sigh.................

#79 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

One.

As the whole videogame/pinball coin-op biz turned into Crane games, I sold off everything and closed down the warehouse. By that time I may have only had 3 Gorgars.

You guys would have loved the glory days of pinball. Walking into the arcade and seeing 4 brand new Gorgars side by side.......

Did you run a route full-time, or do that in addition to something else?

#80 7 years ago

Did you run a route full-time, or do that in addition to something else?

Full time.

Back then you did not need to do anything else to earn a VERY comfortable living.

And I need not remind you that it was an ALL CASH business.....lol.

#81 7 years ago

Im 25, and Was into collecting arcades for the past 5 years, NOW im into pinball, and i am done with the arcades, especially Monitor repairs!!!

This was my "Kollection" before i stepped up to pins.

The complete Dedicated Mortal Kombat collection

Mk1,Mk2,Mk3,Umk3,Mk4, Killer instinct 1, Killer instinct 2, and Wargods

I completely know the difference between a Vid and a Pin, and take offense to my pins being called vids
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

#82 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Super Don Key Hoe Taaaaaay!

I play that on my Daphne Emulated cabinet

That witch pisses me off in the game

#83 7 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Super Don Key Hoe Taaaaaay!

There was one at the 7/11 on coast highway in Dana Point back in the mid 80s. We always used to stop in there on our way home late at night. I may have to get one of those cabinets you speak of.

#84 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

There was one at the 7/11 on coast highway in Dana Point back in the mid 80s. We always used to stop in there on our way home late at night. I may have to get one of those cabinets you speak of.

One of our local arcades used to have a Cliff Hanger, I remember watching my oldest brother beat that game. I would love to own it but good luck finding one.

#85 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinhead87:

Im 25, and Was into collecting arcades for the past 5 years, NOW im into pinball, and i am done with the arcades, especially Monitor repairs!!!
    I completely know the difference between a Vid and a Pin, and take offense to my pins being called vids

do you still have the MK collection? It's pretty rad!

Some of my family and friends don't realise when they get a new ball, they will drain and then sit there for a bit with the ball in the shooter lane until I tell them it's waiting to be plunged. If a pin plays an animation or counts bonuses before launching their next ball I've also seen them get impatient and tell me it's broken and it's not giving them a ball.
    The best was when my mum was first playing, she would get multi ball on my space jam (it's waaaaaay too easy) and she would get scared thinking she broke it because she now has 3 balls. Same goes with it's captive ball, I've had numerous people say their ball is stuck when referring to it.

The odd thing for me though is I have found my friends my age know a lot more about playing pinball than my older family and older friends do which is odd, I think it may have to do with the fact that these days retro stuff is cool again. Even my dad who admits he failed school because he spent all his year 12 playing pinball doesn't understand dmd machines.

#86 7 years ago

It is a dream of mine to monitor my cash-cow business remotely from my living room. Preferably in pajamas. Livin' the dream, vid!

#87 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinhead87:

I also had all of the dedicated MK units (although I just had UMK3, not MK3) before I got into pins.. relived my college years, then sold all of them. Funny thing was it was hard to find anyone that would play a VS. game on them when I had them and I got sick of playing the computer. If only I could have flown all of my college buddies in for a beer drinking, Mortal Kombat weekend (would have made a cool documentary perhaps?)

#88 7 years ago
    Quoted from Khabbi:

I also had all of the dedicated MK units (although I just had UMK3, not MK3) before I got into pins.. relived my college years, then sold all of them. Funny thing was it was hard to find anyone that would play a VS. game on them when I had them and I got sick of playing the computer. If only I could have flown all of my college buddies in for a beer drinking, Mortal Kombat weekend (would have made a cool documentary perhaps?)

I've just got my mame cab which only has 4 buttons so no MK only Tekken. I used to be awesome at tekken but these days I get beaten by every button masher out there. I just can't get it going anymore lol

#89 7 years ago

Last comp here in Australia all the oldies had to battle it out in quite stiff competition but if you were under 25 you could just walk into the competition. Don't even think they got that manny udder 25s.

#90 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pafasa:

Did you meet Moses too?

kidding me? Moses gave me a slate of rock, and told me to build a pinball machine. I'm on a mission from god!

#91 7 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

kidding me? Moses gave me a slate of rock, and told me to build a pinball machine. I'm on a mission from god!
    ยป YouTube video

Nice! *says with a Chicago accent*

#92 7 years ago

Hey! I am only 30.. I specialize in fixing games that are around my age or older.

Damn kids.

#93 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I once had 40 Stargate (it was a video game from Williams that made insane money).

I think my average game time on Stargate was around 28 fucking seconds. There's your insane money. I was smart enough to play it about twice before running back to Defender though.

#94 7 years ago

Killer instinct 1

I used to be awesome at this game. black orchid all the way.

orchid-washcar.jpg

#95 7 years ago

I'll take the F355 above ^^^^^^

The only arcade game that gives me nostalgia is the Sega SWT sit-down arcade game.

#96 7 years ago
    Quoted from bjoechamp:

Both delivery guys will probably still be delivery guys in 20 years, if use of the English language is any indicator of intelligence.

LOL... I was thinking the same thing!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 9.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 99.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Hardware
    Police Force Spinner Out of stock
    Tucson Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 239.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    The Pinball Place
    $ 32.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 22.00
    Hardware
    The MOD Couple
    Playfield - Other
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 22.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 19.95
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Monk
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 150.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Bent Mods
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 62.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Game Room Info Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    There are 96 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside