(Topic ID: 163032)

Pinball Machine you regretted selling the most!

By iceman44

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 118 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Billy16
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0707161836a_(resized).jpg
PA070085_(resized).JPG
PA070107_(resized).JPG
wild_wheels_(resized).jpg
IMG_0045_(resized).JPG
There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 7 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Judge Dredd, but I bought it back.

Was it the very machine you sold or you bought another one?
If it was the same one, what was the circumstances behind the repurchase? Did you pay more or less than the first sale?

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from Pins4me:

My biggest regret was not buying a King Kong pin.
LOL

Yea, a lot of us are kicking ourselves now over missed oppertunities years ago.

#53 7 years ago
Quoted from Pins4me:

Was it the very machine you sold or you bought another one?
If it was the same one, what was the circumstances behind the repurchase? Did you pay more or less than the first sale?

Was not the very machine. I just searched for another. The one I sold was sold again in very short order, and I have no idea where it is now.

#54 7 years ago

ACDC premium. It never should waked out the door

#55 7 years ago

There are two machines I regret selling. In 2002 shortly after 9/11 events I was forced to sell my small EM collection containing a 1972 Fireball. I bought the best example I could find off of Odin but was short some cash so I had to trade him my 1967 Gottlieb 2 player Surf Side. I miss the Surf Side and will one day own a nice example again. It is currently the only Gottlieb on my radar.

There are two machines I regret not buying back in 1998 when I first started the hobby. I was at Herb Silver's Fabulous Fantasies and he had the famous 1985 Game Plan Lochness Monster for 10 grand. My wife looked at me and said "F*** NO!" I had the money but she put her foot down. There was a 1950 Gottlieb Knockout all blinged out by Herb for 5 grand. After some talk my wife simply said "NO! That's too much...pick out something cheaper."

#56 7 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

I was at Herb Silver's Fabulous Fantasies and he had the famous 1985 Game Plan Lochness Monster for 10 grand. My wife looked at me and said "F*** NO!"

I wonder what that game would fetch now? 75k-85k or thereabouts is my best guess.

#57 7 years ago

Guns n Roses! Hopefully will find a nice one soon.

#58 7 years ago

I regretted selling wh2o because it skyrocketed in price after I sold it.

#59 7 years ago

I've pretty much bought back everything I regret selling such as WH20, STTNG, JM, JD and Shadow. The good news is these 2nd copies are nicer examples over my original and some I even paid pretty much what I sold them for 2-4 years ago too.

#60 7 years ago

I bought a mint, unfaded IJ that played beatifully for $1K at the auction and everyone thought I was crazy. This was 1998.

Basically I regret selling all the 250 or so games I've gone through.

#61 7 years ago

My Mint Jurassic Park...and my TZ and my CFTBL...

#62 7 years ago

I forgot one. I bought an engineering sample Bally "KISS". It was EKI1003. The first 29 games down the assembly line were engineering samples. They were assigned to various Bally managers. They would show up at birthday parties around Chicago, etc. They were used for feedback and viability studies. I have a list of who got what. #1 and #2 were assigned to Frank Bracha, engineering manager. The only difference between this game and a production game is the cabinet colors - red versus standard orange. I got this game (perfect cosmetic condition) a "Silverball Mania" playfield and chips, boxes of spare parts, and some Bally video game system with cartridges for $500. I can't remember the manager's name but he had jut passed and the wife wanted everything gone. I sold it to a KISS collector for $1200. That is what I regret, not the game.

#63 7 years ago

I regret selling my SOF...but Ill probably look for a nicer one farther down the line.

#64 7 years ago

So half the people here regretted not making more money selling their pins?

#65 7 years ago

If I had to pick 1, Tron.

Also miss IM, TFLE, ACDC Premium and others. I wish I had the space and $ to keep them all.

#66 7 years ago

TOTAN and Addams Family

#67 7 years ago

So far I have sold off IM, TFLE, LOTR, ST, and Diner. I found that I missed IM and TFLE so much I got them back within a year. However, I don't miss LOTR, ST at all and am not tempted to try and get them back. I do occasionally think about getting another Diner but would need a Taxi sitting next to it...

#68 7 years ago

TZ (the first machine I owned), TOTAN, and TOM. I regret selling them all, and my significant other will probably never forgive me for doing so. We got a replacement TZ that we're restoring, and I suspect that the other two will also be making a comeback- sooner or later.

#69 7 years ago

I'm not sure I'd use the word regret... it was the right decision at the time and I'd do it over again but I miss my Fathom. Sold it in 2006. It was my first pin, I did a playfield swap on it (I still have the original PF!), it had a great backglass and new plastics and drop down targets on it. Loved that machine, wonder how it is doing or if it has changed hands again.

#70 7 years ago

24. Missed it so much I got another one though!

#71 7 years ago

Dr. Who.

#72 7 years ago

I regret selling a lot of games over the years but I miss Scared Stiff, CFTBL and STTNG the most. Once I sell my Ironman I will be buying one of these titles again.

#73 7 years ago

Eight Ball Deluxe LE.

#74 7 years ago

No doubt, Batman Dark Knight. I don't think I will ever find one to replace

#75 7 years ago

For fun I regret selling a mint Gilligan's Island, for beauty I regret letting Miss Barracora go.

#76 7 years ago

None, but if I sold the pins Iceman did I can see his point.

#77 7 years ago

Mine was Dungeons & Dragons. CC'd nos pf. All nos parts...

It was awesome.

Scared Stiff I restored I couldn't sell quick enough. Just didn't love that game.

#79 7 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

More money in pocket means more pins...

#80 7 years ago

My first WH20 bought NIB in 1993, factory purchase.
Second place, a CFTBL in 1998, but that was a light routed game under its first owner that was put in a wrong location, and made little income, hence the "swoop in" in Germany under private ownership.
Third place, "infant mortality" Embryon which its MPU blew up, and got boxed after 300 or so plays from an operator here in this region around 14 years ago and had been sitting in the warehouse for years. Still had quarters in the cash box, because the key was lost.

I have never made these mistakes again.

#81 7 years ago

I have sold TOM, TOTAN, STTNG, CONGO, TS, BSD, LOTR and WH20. I have zero desire to ever buy back TOM or TOTAN especially at the prices they sell for. I'm not a Star Trek fan so wouldn't go out of my way to find another STTNG. I liked LOTR but at the end I didn't play it much because of the long game times. But if I had a bigger collection it would be cool to have around. I literally just sold WH20 so it hasn't been gone long enough to miss. I do miss TS, CONGO and BSD. I found them to be the most fun and the most reasonably priced.

#82 7 years ago

Mephisto

Cool art work and sounds
Just did not play it enough

I would buy it back if I could

#83 7 years ago
Quoted from rawbars:

I liked LOTR but at the end I didn't play it much because of the long game times.

I honestly think that's why I stopped playing it as well.

I never got to Valinor but I stopped wanting to get there.

It really is a great pin although don't see myself ever wanting it back.

SM on the other hand, that one got picked up today and I can see maybe getting it back some day.

#84 7 years ago

Sold Baywatch. Bought another one, and sold it when I upgraded to a HUO example. In the barn for good now.
Terry.

#85 7 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

It's not the money, it's that now that $1K IJ I had is $10K in Canadian dollars and I will never be able to own one again.

#86 7 years ago

Well since I just bought a Monopoly back, I can cross that off the list.

Definitely miss Road Show.

Hoping to get a good example of that back one day.

#87 7 years ago

Shadow for me. Picked up another one last year though and won't make the same mistake again!

#88 7 years ago

Star trek 25th anniversary....

#89 7 years ago

I didn't sell it, but traded it in 4 for 1(FP, JL, Scorpion & BO all restored) trade to get my SM back in '09 (?)...and even though I get to play it whenever I go to his house it isn't the same. I put alot of work into restoring it, and it is a classic game...Blackout...I've since bought the Scorpion back from him but he's not up for letting BO go.
I also miss my Comet (I repainted the PF all the little people and all the grey while I was restoring it) It isn't a deep game or anything, but I had alot of time in on it as well... I sold it when I was raising $$ to get hubby his MET.
I know there are others out there, but I'm not one to sell games often, and even if I did get another one I would have to put all the work into them again, and it still wouldn't be the same...

Phoebe

#91 7 years ago

Sorcerer, so I bought it back

My mom regrets me selling comet and reminds me every time she is over to play lol.

#92 7 years ago

Traded an HUO Roadshow away for a ToTAN - wished I had kept the RS.

#93 7 years ago

I regret selling Guns and Roses and TZ.

My family never lets me forget I sold Star Wars DE.

#94 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I just unloaded a great LotrLE and SM. My first sales of any pin.
I've adopted a one pin in, one pin out mandate with AliensLE, GBLE and RZ coming.
Just don't have time to play em all, but I love em all!
As much as I love the other two, I almost let AC/DC go out the door!
I'm back in love with that pin. WTF was I thinking?

Andromeda Whitewood with NOS glass - Did not buy for $300 dollars.
Mint Original Big Game
Diamond Plate Serial #2 Bride of Pinbot with different cabinet
Joust - Head to Head - Could of bought for nothing
HUO Solar Fire - Could of bought for nothing

The list is ugly but you cannot keep them all.

#95 7 years ago

Pinbot. But got another one.
And believe it or not I actually miss South Park.

But I think I regret getting rid of the Shadow most. Out of everything in my past owned games.

#96 7 years ago

A lot of Shadow sorrow it seems.

#97 7 years ago

Another one comes to mind.
EBD, four of them, not including the one I built.
Problem solved, the game was returned 12 years later.

#98 7 years ago

I wish I never sold my Big Bang Bar.
Also learned a lesson as to what not to ever do again.
I needed some quick money and sold it to someone close to home with the promise I can play it and also buy it back in the future when he was ready to sell it. I also sold it to him at a great price just because of our deal. While we were working out the details, and what I didn't know, he was making a side deal to sell it to someone else across the continent for a big pay day.
A few days later I was reading RGP and saw a post stating "BBB#12 in the house" The post also stated the new owner was looking to buy a BBB manual that I did give with the game. Then I saw the my manual and my spare parts sell on e-bay for quite a few bucks. The seller, or buyer for me, wouldn't return my calls.
Live and learn as they say.

#99 7 years ago
Quoted from waltrr:

I wish I never sold my Big Bang Bar.

Does not sound like a friend or a collector, just a flipper.
I don't cut people breaks on restored machines anymore, just projects.
Projects keep flippers at bay, particularly when board work is required.
There are other ways to push flippers out of the game, but unfortunately there is always another to replace them.

#100 7 years ago

Firepower. Sold two of them and regretted both. Awesome game. And now that I have a bunch of WPC games, I have the hindsight to realize how simple it was to work on a single-level system 6.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Montpelier, VA
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-machine-you-regretted-selling-the-most/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.