(Topic ID: 19688)

Pinball Machine You Gave a 2nd Chance - And Glad You Did!

By mrSATURN2012

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Malibu-SS
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

Hi guys (and gals!),

Does anyone have a story about giving a machine a second try, and then loving it more?

I will give an example. In a local arcade, there was a dirty, dirty Iron Man on site. The playfield looked like a two year wiped muddy shoes all over it. When I first played the game, it was awful. Getting Iron Monger was way too easy and the Replay was set at 8 million (which isn't an awful lot).

Fortunately, I decided to give the game another shot (after playing the same dirty game several times...). I recently went back and, to my surprise, the owner had it shopped; the playfield sparkled and what's this?! Iron Man has magnets? The War Machine magnet I knew about, yet I had no idea that Iron Monger had a magnet in front of him! Additionally, now I know why the hits into Whiplash were unsatisfying...

Well, the inclusion of magnets and the new playfield just completely changed the game for me now. I think the owner also bumped up the Replay value and dialed the match frequency down a little too...makes the game a lot better.

#2 11 years ago

TZ. I always hated it, but found a killer deal on one. I never knew what to do, what to shoot for. It was just too much for me at the time and was over my head. Brought it home and fixed it up with the intention of selling it ASAP. Two years later, it's still here and I can't see myself parting with it.

#3 11 years ago

White Water would be mine. I really disliked it the first couple of times playing it, but gave it a real serious effort later on at a pinball show and ended up buying one. Now I think it's a great game.

#4 11 years ago

A correctly working pin makes all the difference in the world.
    I didn't like stargate at first because of the theme, liked it when I tried it again because I focused on the mechanics. It's got some great steep ramps

#5 11 years ago

Transformers - I played the Pro several times at Pinballz and hated it. I then got a chance to play TFLE at TPF and fell in love with it. This is weird as most seem to prefer the Pro over LE but the LE is what made me love the pin. I'm currently saving for one now and hope to be able to have on in my house this time next year.

#6 11 years ago

Whitewater for me too! My wife loved it on location and I just didnt feel it. Seemed like a good way to get a pin in the house and now I love it.

#7 11 years ago

I'm going with TZ as well.. played it at TPF and at an auction, and damned if the sounds and art package didn't sucker me into wanting to play it again. I've been avoiding it for years on purpose, maybe that works in my favor...hopefully I can catch it as a bubble bursts. I can even stomach Addams for the sound, even though I don't personally like the gameplay.

#8 11 years ago

Maybe I better give TZ another shot...Played it once and I said, "I don't see the attraction..."

I guess it's a true player's game; not a first time player's game, no?

#9 11 years ago

Dr. Who

#10 11 years ago

Yup, Twilight Zone for me too. I downright disliked that game for years. But I kept making an effort to play it and understand what was going on. The more I understand it, the more I enjoy it. I've found myself coming around enough to actually want one this past year or so. It helps having friends with really nice ones as opposed to beaten ones on route or shows.

Addams Family was also that way to some extent, but not nearly as bad as TZ. I never really disliked TAF, but never really understood the hype until spending more time with it. Now, it too is on my wishlist.

On the other hand I have two other very popular games that I just can't seem to get into, but will keep trying. IJ and LOTR. LOTR especially just seems like work without much fun. IJ I'm pretty sure I just need more time with.

#11 11 years ago

I'm showing my age here, but for me it's Paragon (1979 Bally). In the arcades back in the day, it was one of the most beautiful machines I'd ever seen. I *tried* to play it many times, but it always ate my lunch, and I could never seem to get a free game.

Fast forward 30+ years, and I knew I wanted to own it - if nothing else - for the artwork and nostalgic factor. Then I played it, and played it some more - found a tutorial video online that had some tips, and what do you know - now I love it!! It's still challenging enough not to be boring, but I'm better enough at it now that I can rack up some decent scores. It's one machine that won't ever leave my collection.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from callmesteam:

TZ. I always hated it, but found a killer deal on one. I never knew what to do, what to shoot for. It was just too much for me at the time and was over my head. Brought it home and fixed it up with the intention of selling it ASAP. Two years later, it's still here and I can't see myself parting with it.

Same here. When I first played it, I thought, whats all the hype about? Later I came across a great deal on one and decided to pick it up. It is a great game! I would like to have another one of these days.

#13 11 years ago

Earthshaker. I didn't like it much at first. I played recently and gave it another chance. It is enjoyable game which I am still learning how to play.

#14 11 years ago

TSPP. The first example I ever played was filthy and the flippers were too weak to make the garage shot. When I had the chance to play a pristine machine and load up the couch I realized how much fun the game can be.

#15 11 years ago

Mine is Funhouse (I think). I am refurbing my second one now, when I had my first one, it was buried between games like CV and TSPP, and I didn't have kids, so I really didn't get into games with little depth. Now I have about 10 minutes to play pinball and Funhouse fits that bill nicely (I think). We shall see...

#16 11 years ago

Spiderman. Almost sold mine early on.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

On the other hand I have two other very popular games that I just can't seem to get into .... LOTR especially just seems like work without much fun.

I really didn't care for LOTR at all the first few times I played it. To me, it was by far the most overrated pin out there. Then, one day I was at a friend's house, and he started explaining the rules to me as I got further and further in the game. It was then that I realized just how much fun the game can be when you understand what you're doing.

#18 11 years ago

LOTR. I had a bad game when I first played it, so I didn't really go back to it, until I saw a LOTR at a sports bar I think, and played it there. I have loved it ever since.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

LOTR. I had a bad game when I first played it, so I didn't really go back to it, until I saw a LOTR at a sports bar I think, and played it there. I have loved it ever since.

Sometimes that one bad game is all it takes...

To me, a pinball machine can be shallow at first glance, but if you dig deep into the layers, then you may find a diamond in the rough. Part of the excitement is the mystery behind the machines and unraveling all of the secrets!

Quoted from bluevegas:

Same here. When I first played it, I thought, whats all the hype about? Later I came across a great deal on one and decided to pick it up. It is a great game! I would like to have another one of these days.

I'm now ready to try out a TZ! Who has one?

#20 11 years ago

Whirlwind, TSPP, & CV were a few that took a while for me to warm up to. I enjoy playing them now.

#21 11 years ago

LOTR location can really turn you off to it. I semi enjoyed playing it but was never able to destroy the ring because of crappy location games. Played a good one and knocked that ring in the lava first try real quick. That was a good feeling.

#22 11 years ago

MM, couldn't stand it when I first played it but once I got to spend some time on it my opinion changed. It still isn't anywhere near my fav pin but I enjoy it much more now.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

LOTR location can really turn you off to it. I semi enjoyed playing it but was never able to destroy the ring because of crappy location games. Played a good one and knocked that ring in the lava first try real quick. That was a good feeling.

LOTR for me as well. when I first played one in an arcade in London, I didn't know what I was supposed to do, all the flashing inserts were confusing, and modes and multiballs were starting up without me knowing how. The pin had several faults and weak flippers as well. Once I had time to play a fully working one, it all fell into place and became my #1 game.

Quoted from gweempose:

I really didn't care for LOTR at all the first few times I played it. To me, it was by far the most overrated pin out there. Then, one day I was at a friend's house, and he started explaining the rules to me as I got further and further in the game. It was then that I realized just how much fun the game can be when you understand what you're doing.

A fellow Pinsider (teachp8) showed me how to play a BSD properly. Now I enjoy playing it a lot more.

#24 11 years ago

I am about to get a second Johnny Mnemonic after having sold my first one about 3 years ago. Not sure why this pin has some appeal for me.....BTW, I haven't seen the film!

#25 11 years ago

OPf there havce been more games I've given a second chance to and not been happy
    Always good to find a gem you discarded before though.

#26 11 years ago

SM, hated it at first, now I own a NIB-to-me one.
    POTC, HATED it at first.
    STTNG, Brutally mean game, but once you learn the rules it really comes alive.
    Fish Tales, Theme turned me off, Fast Gameplay and Flow turns me ON.
    TSPP, if you don't know the rules it just plain sucks.
    Shadow, great players game.

Bottom line, I usually start out HATING a game only to grow to love it. I've never really met a pin that I didn't like, except Motordome, that game SUCKS.

-Wes

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from Spybryon:

Earthshaker. I didn't like it much at first. I played recently and gave it another chance. It is enjoyable game which I am still learning how to play.

I loved ES from ball one. It is certainly not a deep or complex game, but almost delightfully so. Pure pinball fun.

Road Show is my 2nd chance pin. So much to do it kind of overwhelms at first, and it can drain pretty quick. Gave it some time an it is now my current favorite.

#28 11 years ago

TAF and WH20 here I did not really like them at first. I think they are better now but unsure of longevity in a collection at this time.

#29 11 years ago

FT for me. Did not like at all because it was such a drainer. Then ended up loving at home specifically for that reason!

#30 11 years ago

Hated both STTNG and IJ at first because I never played working examples. Now I think both are great.

#31 11 years ago

Another one: Popeye. Played it, hated it. Wound up getting one in the house for a month or so and really liked it. Would like to get one to keep one day.

#32 11 years ago

Spiderman...played one when it first came out with unfinished code and it was TERRIBLE. Got a killer deal on one a year later, opened the outlanes up and got the latest code. What a difference! It is in my top 3 of all time now!!

#33 11 years ago

Funhouse - had the "creepy head" not for me syndrome
    IJ - never thought it could be very deep - oopsie
    Pinbot - frickin hated it until I picked one up cheap - that was the biggest turn around for me

T2 for the second time has also brought back what I originally loved about that game.

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

FT for me. Did not like at all because it was such a drainer. Then ended up loving at home specifically for that reason!

I;'ve never found it to be a drain monster...I'm guessing that I've never played one with Lightening Flippers. Never knew aboot them till i start reading info hear, but never noticed bolts on them before.

#35 11 years ago

Shadow

#37 11 years ago

This may sound odd to some, but it was MM for me.
    Earlier this year I was considering getting rid of it. Most of my games at that time were more mode-based and I enjoyed that. I found MM too repetitive and almost simplistic.

I decided to play it a bit more, watch videos of others playing, learn more about the rule set and now I find it a much better game. It gets my heart pumping and requires some good concentration. A very difficult pin to master and I'll be playing it for a long time before I reach the main wizard mode.

#38 11 years ago

I've found that my initial impression has alot to do with price paid.
    What I mean is Johnny Mnemonic was less money and was more fun
    then I expected where as TZ was expensive.The first few months I
    just felt somewhat guilty for spending so much money so it dampened
    the fun. Once I absorbed the cost the pin has become one of my favorites.
    It can't be owned as often as my others

#40 11 years ago

TAF, TZ, and SM.

#41 11 years ago

Avatar: first few times I played it, it pissed me off. Lots of drains to the left outlane and plenty of SDTM drains as well. Played another (LE this time), and after a few plays I started hitting shots and things really got going. I like it!

Wheel of Fortune: terrible theme, but after playing it several times, I realized how cool it is. Wish they had finished the code.

#42 11 years ago

Whirlwind is the only pin I've ever bought back. In a way, I gave Congo a second chance too. I played it in an arcade around 1996 and thought it was ridiculous. I bought one ten years later, and I still love it. It was my first DMD.

#43 11 years ago

Flash Gordon.

Kicked mine and my son's ass consistently. Made us both angry so I sold it.

Regretted the decision as soon as it left the collection. Eventually found another. It still kicks my ass nicely but my son plays Neo Geo instead. Huzzah!

#44 11 years ago

When I was a kid F-14 took all my quarters and laughed as I walked out of the arcade with my tail between my legs, I hated that machine. Fast forward 20yrs and I found a really nice one to bring home for cheap. I ended up really liking it once I didn't have to stick quarters in it anymore.

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Avatar: first few times I played it, it pissed me off. Lots of drains to the left outlane and plenty of SDTM drains as well. Played another (LE this time), and after a few plays I started hitting shots and things really got going. I like it!.

How is the LE vs the Pro? How is the ceramic ball? Does it add anything?

#46 11 years ago

There are two that I really disliked at first play, but are now among my favorites, Shadow and CFTBL. Because of these 2 games, and how drastically my opinion changed on them, I always try to give games multiple chances before I decide if it's yay or nay.

#47 11 years ago

SST for me I picked up an HUO one years ago when I had a bad case of pinball ADD and sold it not too long after but I just traded my AP and got the same HUO game back and wow what a great fast fun violent game!

#48 11 years ago

I tried IM at the Pinball Hall of Fame and thought it was horrible as well I sold my first HUO TSPP after a few months of not understanding the rules. After playing both of these in differend locations, different game settings and in the case of TSPP, taking time to read the rules......

I now own both (just got TSPP back about 6 weeks ago) and they are both going to be around for a while.

#49 11 years ago

afm, just seemed so open and not much fun... Played one at midwest gaming classic two years ago that had leds and saucer upgrade and had to have one. Shaker motor a must on that also.

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from OTTOgd:

Flash Gordon.
    Kicked mine and my son's ass consistently. Made us both angry so I sold it.
    Regretted the decision as soon as it left the collection. Eventually found another. It still kicks my ass nicely but my son plays Neo Geo instead. Huzzah!

Flash Gordon is brutal; that's definitely a game you have to make the incline less severe to make it a little bit easier.

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-machine-you-gave-a-2nd-chance-and-glad-you-did and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.