Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 69 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Coz
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What term do you prefer to use?”

• Pin 67 votes
      20%
    • Pinball 28 votes
      8%
    • Pinball machine 211 votes
      64%
    • Table 10 votes
      3%
    • Pin table 1 vote
    • Other 2 votes
      1%
    • Flapper game 9 votes
      3%
    • Flipper game 2 votes
      1%

(330 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F17A5289-A29B-4164-A4FC-82B05FA989C3 (resized).jpeg
    giphy.gif
    42C6E885-6909-430C-BF7C-E4EC71808C7F (resized).jpeg
    303EFFEF-43F9-46EB-BDA2-651BB09FD7F1 (resized).jpeg
    ED0BF4D6-4B2B-4B11-80C5-4E56A70B6E21 (resized).jpeg
    2D0A2AB9-2A7C-4218-A939-EF45FB708CC0 (resized).jpeg
    There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

Seems there has been some debate lately about the terminology used in pinball. What do you call the pinball machine? A pin? A machine? A table? What is the “official” term. Are there other options? What other terms have caused debate in the pinball and arcade hobby?
    2D0A2AB9-2A7C-4218-A939-EF45FB708CC0 (resized).jpeg2D0A2AB9-2A7C-4218-A939-EF45FB708CC0 (resized).jpeg

#2 4 years ago

All of them are understandable, so probably all are valid. Pinball machine is the official term, but all the others are essentially abbreviations or remixes.

I've also heard the term "flapper game" a few times, but that usually comes from someone who really isn't very familiar with pinball.

In some parts of Europe (such as Germany), they're called flipper games/machines. It's interesting that they decided to name the game after the flippers, rather than the ball like in the US.

#3 4 years ago

In general I think the term pinball machine is most appropriate, but when speaking of a specific machine to a pinhead the term " machine " is fine .

#4 4 years ago

Wish we could pick more than one option, as I use most of these terms. "Pin" is probably my most used, but I use table quite a bit as well.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

Seems there has been some debate lately about the terminology used in pinball. What do you call the pinball machine? A pin? A machine? A table? What is the “official” term. Are there other options? What other terms have caused debate in the pinball and arcade hobby?
    [quoted image]

Flipper

#6 4 years ago

I’m curious what debate you are referring to, but the manufacturers call them pinball machines

CHICAGO, IL – September 18, 2019 – Stern Pinball, Inc., a global lifestyle brand based on the iconic and outrageously fun modern American game of pinball, announced today the availability of a new line of pinball machines celebrating the iconic character, Elvira, Mistress of the Dark! The game was developed in collaboration with the Whizbang Pinball Studio team of Greg Freres and Dennis Nordman. Greg and Dennis developed the first two Elvira games. Elvira’s House of Horrors pinball machines will be available in Premium, Limited Edition, and Signature Edition models.

Jersey Jack Pinball Announces Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory™ Pinball Machine
    LAKEWOOD, NJ – April 12, 2019 – Jersey Jack Pinball presents a world of pure imagination! Find the Golden Ticket™ and enter Wonka’s Chocolate Factory™ for an unforgettable pinball adventure full of fun, surprises, and magic around every corner! This pinball masterpiece was designed by the legendary Pat Lawlor, designer of Dialed In!, Twilight Zone, and over a dozen other classic games, including the best-selling pinball machine in history, The Addams Family.

Chicago Gaming and Planetary Pinball are pleased to present Attack from Mars, the highly anticipated second game in a series of remakes of the greatest Bally and Williams pinball machines.

#7 4 years ago

Flipper is a dolphin

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Strohz:

the manufacturers call them pinball machines

What did the European manufacturers call them ? They are usually referred to tables there.

LTG : )

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Brewchap:

Flipper is a dolphin

True. Isn’t a flapper a 1920’s lady who bucked the norm of acceptable behavior?

#10 4 years ago

Arcade

JK.

#11 4 years ago

I call it a pinball or a pinball machine.

#12 4 years ago

Coin operated device...

#13 4 years ago

Pin is what I say most often.

#14 4 years ago

not 'table'

#15 4 years ago

Pin is the easiest

#16 4 years ago

The better question is, Why is it called Pinball?

#17 4 years ago

When talking with people in the hobby it’s “pin” or “pins” if plural.

When explaining my hobby to other people it’s “pinball machines”.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

The better question is, Why is it called Pinball?

Because early machines had metal pins (like nails) on the play field.
    Almost like a pachinko machine.

#19 4 years ago

Example of old “pin” ball machine

ED0BF4D6-4B2B-4B11-80C5-4E56A70B6E21 (resized).jpegED0BF4D6-4B2B-4B11-80C5-4E56A70B6E21 (resized).jpeg
    #21 4 years ago

Pretty sure you're all wrong here, as the proper term is "addiction " hahaha

#22 4 years ago

Deck.

#23 4 years ago

Table is what is referred to in the Virtual Pinball world, not to be confused with a real pinball machine. Simple as that.

Got to keep the abbreviation of pin if talking about a real pinball machine, if one is too lazy to type out pinball machine.

#24 4 years ago

I grew up playing pinball on pinball machines. they are not tables. jeebus that term drives me crazy. also, please stop using the term "shooter" guns shoot, pinball machines do not shoot. they are not great shooters... great shooters shoot in gun competitions... lol

and yes this is simply my own opinion, and I really don't care what other people call them. its all in good fun.

#25 4 years ago

I simple use "pin" as a quick abbreviation for pinball machine.
    Ex) Check out this new pinball machine or Check out this new pin. Everyone knows what you are talking about.

#26 4 years ago

Ping pong.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Table is what is referred to in the Virtual Pinball world, not to be confused with a real pinball machine. Simple as that.
    Got to keep the abbreviation of pin if talking about a real pinball machine, if one is too lazy to type out pinball machine.

I use them as tables all the time, fold laundry on them (4 pins in laundry room... see what I did there , stack parts on one machine while working on another, but never ever put my beer on them. Mostly I call them FUN!

#28 4 years ago

All the time I was growing up, my father called them "Pinballs" -- not the balls themselves, but the machines. Jeez, drove me crazy with that.

#29 4 years ago

Anything but table. It is not a table.

#30 4 years ago

I call them 'customer entertainment machines' when telling the tax man what they are.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from fxdwg:

I grew up playing pinball on pinball machines. they are not tables. jeebus that term drives me crazy. also, please stop using the term "shooter" guns shoot, pinball machines do not shoot. they are not great shooters... great shooters shoot in gun competitions... lol
    and yes this is simply my own opinion, and I really don't care what other people call them. its all in good fun.

Harry Williams referred to them as tables in a taped interview.

I prefer pinball machines or just pins.

#32 4 years ago

Pin when talking to pinheads
    Pinball Machine when talking to others.

Tables are what we eat our dinner on.

#33 4 years ago

I can't stand the word "deck."

Pin is my preference

#34 4 years ago

Where is the voting option of Pinny! Which I never use BTW.

#35 4 years ago

Whichever you want it to be, we all know what they mean.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

Whichever you want it to be, we all know what they mean.

That’s definitely true, but I just wanted to see what the favorite term is. I have heard different players use different terms lately

#37 4 years ago

"Video game," of course! I hear lots of people call them that!

#38 4 years ago

If you play them: pin.

If you don't play them: table.

#39 4 years ago

Addiction worse than dope is what I call them!

#40 4 years ago

As a total newb to the hobby a few years ago, when I called a local pinball distributor asking about “pinball tables” for sale the guy made like he had no idea what I was talking about. Jerk.

Like it or not, pretty much everyone in the world associates pinball with The Who’s Pinball Wizard.
    “Even at my favorite table, he can beat my best”

It was a total shock to me that those in the industry apparently despise that term

#41 4 years ago

As long as you don’t call it a deck or a table....

#42 4 years ago

Seems pinball machine or pin are the overwhelming favorite terms used here on pinside. Interesting to see everyone’s opinions and comments.

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:As long as you don’t call it a deck or a table....

But Flapper Game is OK?

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

But Flapper Game is OK?

No, somebody’s losing a tooth with that one.

#45 4 years ago

I call 'em Money Pits.

#46 4 years ago

Rename it Soccer field game. Pisses of all of Europe.

#47 4 years ago

Not a table? HA!

303EFFEF-43F9-46EB-BDA2-651BB09FD7F1 (resized).jpeg303EFFEF-43F9-46EB-BDA2-651BB09FD7F1 (resized).jpeg
    #48 4 years ago

I love my PINS !

#49 4 years ago

In sweden we normally call them Flipperspel (Flipper game)

#50 4 years ago

In Dutch it's Flipperkast
    Pinball Machine is also very common

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-machine-what-is-the-proper-term?hl=dakotamike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.