You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5A8F1F90-39CB-4CA1-B417-1FC4F28E77BE (resized).jpeg
BF7E93DF-B5F8-49CD-BACB-4B4F648F9485 (resized).jpeg
8F7BAFCB-46AB-4E9C-93C5-F2F6C43D3A21 (resized).jpeg
DB5B33B2-B275-43A3-BDBC-8B15303F8EB9 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrawlinson_2000.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

I have a WOZ which every week trips the house's sockets outlet RDC breaker.

This only happens when I switch on the WOZ, I then turn it off, go under the stairs and reset the 62A RCD breaker, then turn on WOZ and its fine.

As I have said this will happen maybe once a week, I tend to switch the machine on most days.

I have 6 other machines NONE of which do this.

Any idea on what to look for or how to test what is wrong?

I did plug the WOZ into its own RCD breaker into the socket it goes into in a hope that this would trip next time and not the entire house, no such joy it tripped as well as the main sockets RCD again.

Very frustrating...

BTW I live in the UK

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Can you plug WOZ into its own RCD breaker, but then run an extension cord to another (ideally non RCD) circuit?

Sadly not all my house sockets are on these 'breakers'

I have plugged the WOZ into its own breaker in a hope that would trip and not the rest of the house, but no such luck when it trips it still trips the main breaker!

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

WOZ draws a bunch of inrush current, mine was an early production model and it came with no inrush current limiter. I don't know if they now come with one. Mine would trip my RCD on cold start up. After the caps have a little charge, it won't trip the RCD as the inrush isn't as great. Let the machine sit for a little bit, the caps will discharge, and it will trip the RCD on the next power up.
I opened a ticket and asked for an inrush current limiter. They sent me one, I installed it, it made no difference. I'll have to look up what resistance it was, but it was less resistance than what is used on WPC games. I'm guessing WOZ needs more current limiting than what they sent me. I reported that it was still tripping the RCD, got no response. I gave up and rewired the outlet that WOZ is plugged into. Not the best solution but I got tired of messing with it. None of my other games trip the RCD and I had 5 plugged into the same run at one time (20 amp circuit.)

Thanks for this, its a real pain in the arse! As today I must have tried a dozen times to get WOZ going but no luck trip every damn time!

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Sorry I was not more clear.
I was asking if you could plug WOZ into a non- RCD outlet, but with a separate RCD on the line cord.
For instance, here in the USA I have an extension cord with it's own GFCI molded into it.

Sorry, but the house does not have any non-breaker circuits.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Richard_BoK:

Can you try installing an inrush limiter? That's quite easy: install an NTC in series with the line. Normally I would install this in the machine itself, but since it is a brandnew machine with warranty you can also make an extension cord with NTC inside.
The UPS is also an option, but more expensive.

I have found this in the UK, is this what you are suggesting;

http://www.canford.co.uk/Products/42-742_CANFORD-MAINS-INRUSH-CURRENT-LIMITER-230V

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.50
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 16.95
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 5.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrawlinson_2000.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-machine-trips-rcd-breaker?tu=jrawlinson_2000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.