Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 232 posts
  • 87 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by djsolzs
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Hot tub or pin?”

• Hot tub bruh 51 votes
      29%
    • Pinball... more pinball 105 votes
      59%
    • Who cares 22 votes
      12%

(178 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cringe (resized).jpg
    Basic test kit (resized).jpg
    72601312965__3BBA4577-2494-4EDD-B74B-A8DD9FF8FD45 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0820 (resized).jpeg
    Taylor test kit (resized).jpg
    DFF15351-200C-48C7-B779-2758000E4AF4 (resized).jpeg
    C6FC5155-1D06-40B3-A058-B9E57D07B79F (resized).jpeg
    FA37853F-DA63-4609-BF43-3EAAD69E34A3 (resized).jpeg
    49c5796371aa29c12e4fe43fd2716389699252f7 (resized).jpg
    ED21FC3A-0C78-49AB-B06E-4D3768F9D57C (resized).jpeg
    Kohler tub.png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    2 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpg
    image-37 (resized).jpg
    Only-In-Russia-24-640x350 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ralphwiggum.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 4 years ago

Hot tub..... I use mine every single day. They can be a lot of work, but with proper maintenance, should last quite awhile. My current hot tub I restored last year. It was leaking like crazy, had a bad pump, and a rotted bottom frame. It took me about a month of working on it every night, but it turned out great. The integrated car stereo/speakers are great, there is nothing better than jumping in the hot tub at night and listening to various games (mostly baseball) and music.

I bought this tub for $200 because the shell was still good. I replaced both pumps, all of the siding and the rotted frame, and I am into it for a grand total of $1100.
    20181021_170014 (resized).jpg20181021_170014 (resized).jpg20181021_170023 (resized).jpg20181021_170023 (resized).jpg20181127_222206 (resized).jpg20181127_222206 (resized).jpg

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dantesmark:

Wow well done!
    I feel like i would use it pretty frequently... im sore moving all the pins.

Thanks.... in the first picture, you can see a sliding door. That sliding door is my master bedroom. It certainly makes it very easy to get in the hot tub when your bedroom is two feet away from it.

#47 4 years ago

Be careful when looking for hot tubs. There are hot tub forums similar to Pinside. Not all hot tubs are created equally. My first hot tub purchase was in 2002. Brand new hot tub, I took extreme care with it, did everything by the book. It went through three different pumps, two Motherboards, and an ozonator in 5 years. The final straw was when the 2nd motherboard crapped out when we were gone in the dead of winter and two of the main PVC feeds both cracked/broke. I gave that one away for free, and swore I would never have another hot tub.

Fast forward 10 years and I have had two knee surgeries and have a ton of cartilage missing courtesy of severe arthritis. The hot tub has been my saving grace.

That being said, before I dove back into the hot tub world, I did a ton of research to see if my first experience was a normal one. It appears that a combination of cold Wisconsin winters and various manufacturers can make for a poor experience similar to my first one. This second go round, I started looking at hot tubs that were more favorably reviewed from the "tried and true" manufacturers. It turns out, those tubs were typically in the $7500 range this time around. So I went back a few years and looked for hot tubs made in the last 5-10 years that were found to be reliable. I found a project one (the one I pictured above) and restored it back to its former glory. It has been 1 year so far, and absolutely zero problems. It has been a completely different experience than my first one.

I will say if you can find a way to have 220 run to it instead of 110, do it. The 110 tubs seem to be a bit under-powered for what they are supposed to be. Many of them don't even support the heating element and the jets being on at the same time using 110.

#58 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

For those of us that don’t have the time currently to put in the research, what brands would be best to hunt for?
    Specifically wanting something that works for 2 people or 4 at max. Wife and I are pretty small people and it will only be for us and occasionally another couple. Would like to pick up something used as it seems they are constantly out there for sub 1k used for even nice condition and previously indoor ones.
    I overbuilt our deck to support the weight but the deck is not too big so a smaller footprint would be nice and also would like something super efficient (is that even possible)

Hot Spring, Caldera, and Sundance are the ones that come to the top of the list the most. That being said, even with those, certain models had more issues than others. But generally, those are the ones that are fairly reliable.

Buying a used one is a crapshoot. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I have seen/read where tons of tubs have leaked after being moved. Leaks are not fun to find when they are fully foamed. I had to use a pressure washer on my foam to get to the three leaks on mine. It is super messy blasting through foam. Fixing the leaks is generally fairly simple once they are found.

Also, before buying a used one, look for available parts before buying. Besides cost being a factor, availability can be an issue too.

#71 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dantesmark:

Anyone have a certain model that they have owned that they are in love with?
    Easy maintenance, efficient, good jets/features?

The “Moto-massage” feature by Hot-Springs seems to have a fan base. Other than that, find features that are important to you. For myself, my wife had to have a lay-down lounger, my only requirement was that the water was hot....

My old hot tub had a waterfall and LED lighting, I don’t miss either of those.

Make sure you set aside a few bucks for a nice cover lift. Those are a priceless must-have.

#96 4 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

Honestly...... anyone who say a good hot tub is hard to maintain either has a crap tub , don’t know how to maintain it correctly or goes in the frign thing dirty or with makeup on
    As for expense that’s BS with a good tub also. May cost me 300 a YEAY for chemicals and electric.

I mentioned that maintenance can be a bit of work as it is more of a critical scenario depending on where you live. When I had to replace a pump on my first tub- it was hovering just below zero outside. Working with water in these temps is a huge pain in the ass. It is also critical that time is of the essence. You can't really winterize a hot tub during the middle of winter, LOL. I had to wait two days for a replacement pump to come in. I took off a side panel, threw in two space heaters, and closed it back up while waiting for the replacement pump to come in. you don't really have much of a choice if one goes to shit in the winter. You fix it immediately or risk losing it to the temps.

As far as electric goes, I would say mine runs about $40-50 a month using it daily. A good cover is essential in colder climates. They aren't a ton of work, but they are something you have to do with a solid routine. If you don't maintain your water, it can be a real PITA to get your levels back where they need to be. But yeah, 10 minutes a week for maintenance/chemicals isn't that bad if you use it regularly.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ralphwiggum.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-machine-or-hot-tub?tu=ralphwiggum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.