Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 232 posts
  • 87 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 68 days ago by djsolzs
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Hot tub or pin?”

• Hot tub bruh 51 votes
      29%
    • Pinball... more pinball 105 votes
      59%
    • Who cares 22 votes
      12%

(178 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cringe (resized).jpg
    Basic test kit (resized).jpg
    72601312965__3BBA4577-2494-4EDD-B74B-A8DD9FF8FD45 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0820 (resized).jpeg
    Taylor test kit (resized).jpg
    DFF15351-200C-48C7-B779-2758000E4AF4 (resized).jpeg
    C6FC5155-1D06-40B3-A058-B9E57D07B79F (resized).jpeg
    FA37853F-DA63-4609-BF43-3EAAD69E34A3 (resized).jpeg
    49c5796371aa29c12e4fe43fd2716389699252f7 (resized).jpg
    ED21FC3A-0C78-49AB-B06E-4D3768F9D57C (resized).jpeg
    Kohler tub.png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    2 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpg
    image-37 (resized).jpg
    Only-In-Russia-24-640x350 (resized).jpg

There are 232 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #2 4 years ago

A hot tub is a lot like a boat. It's exciting when you buy one, and your friends will love it once a year. They are also high maintenance and it's usually a happy day when the owner is rid of it.

Stick with the pin!

#3 4 years ago

Hot tub..... I use mine every single day. They can be a lot of work, but with proper maintenance, should last quite awhile. My current hot tub I restored last year. It was leaking like crazy, had a bad pump, and a rotted bottom frame. It took me about a month of working on it every night, but it turned out great. The integrated car stereo/speakers are great, there is nothing better than jumping in the hot tub at night and listening to various games (mostly baseball) and music.

I bought this tub for $200 because the shell was still good. I replaced both pumps, all of the siding and the rotted frame, and I am into it for a grand total of $1100.
    20181021_170014 (resized).jpg20181021_170014 (resized).jpg20181021_170023 (resized).jpg20181021_170023 (resized).jpg20181127_222206 (resized).jpg20181127_222206 (resized).jpg

#4 4 years ago

If it isn't a time machine, pass!

hot tub (resized).jpghot tub (resized).jpg
    #5 4 years ago

Wow well done!
    I feel like i would use it pretty frequently... im sore moving all the pins.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dantesmark:

Wow well done!
    I feel like i would use it pretty frequently... im sore moving all the pins.

Thanks.... in the first picture, you can see a sliding door. That sliding door is my master bedroom. It certainly makes it very easy to get in the hot tub when your bedroom is two feet away from it.

#7 4 years ago

How many people buy a hot tub and a year or so later never use it again.

When I moved into my new house last year, the owners had a hot tub out on the porch. That was a definite removal demand from me haha.

As you can see, Id never want a hot tub...

#8 4 years ago

Depends how many sexy people are going to be getting in with you.
    Assuming standard pinball culture that number will probably be pretty low, so a new pin is appropriate.

#9 4 years ago

about 100$ per mo to heat my tub. It adds up + maint can get expensive that equals a nice pin every few years

#10 4 years ago

How about both, and a different thought.

Redo your master Bath shower with one of these.... Great Return on Investment, Used more often, Lower Costs of use, and add a great Pin!

-Intelligent touch LCD screen, TV, DVD, Computer, phone, Steam Room, Sauna, Massage.

-Surfing Massage

-Foot Massage

-Double shelves

-Mirror

infrared Remote Control

-Disinfected automatically after shut down
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Redo your master Bath shower with one of these

Looks like something out of Demolition Man. Does it include the three seashells?

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

How about both, and a different thought.
    [quoted image]

what is this thing? I want one!!! probably can't afford it but I want it!!!

#13 4 years ago

I've had my hot tub since 2007. It's wicked easy to take care of. I change the water twice a year and checking the chemical levels is easy. If you are mechanical enough to own a pinball machine then you are probably mechanical enough to own a hot tub. I changed the motor twice I believe in 12 years which isn't bad. I wax mine when I drain the water twice a year as well. Other than that it's freaking easy. In the winter time my electric bill is about the same as in the summertime. It uses about the same amount of energy in the winter as my central air does in the summer. My electric bills are the best in spring and fall

#14 4 years ago

I can't wait for our hot tub to die. We use it like twice a year and adds a ton of energy cost. Been going strong with little maintenance for ten years. Had to replace a pump and cover. Like Levi said, at first we used it all the time and then the novelty wore off. I'd rather have a snowmobile.

#15 4 years ago

Stick to the pin.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Had to replace a pump and cover

Oh yeah. I think I'm on the third cover

#17 4 years ago

The best things to lay/store/hang crafts/junk/laundry on, in order:

Hot tub
    Pool table
    Exercise equipment
    Pinball machine

#18 4 years ago

Whole lot easier to get naked in a hot tub than a pinball machine.

#19 4 years ago

I went hot tub and could have bought a lot of pins for the cost. But my body is sore be my wife and kids love the tub. I will use atleast 4-5 times a week.

Just wished it was finished!

24E9A443-8AF5-45E0-9969-F0716EEA0275 (resized).jpeg24E9A443-8AF5-45E0-9969-F0716EEA0275 (resized).jpegF936CD0C-B949-4316-B74A-6C8488351BC8 (resized).jpegF936CD0C-B949-4316-B74A-6C8488351BC8 (resized).jpeg
    #20 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

A hot tub is a lot like a boat. It's exciting when you buy one, and your friends will love it once a year. They are also high maintenance and it's usually a happy day when the owner is rid of it.
    Stick with the pin!

Got to disagree with you on this, Levi. Boat's are the greatest things in the world. You have to know what you are getting into beforehand (that is where people go wrong). Also, boats will attract ladies while pins will not.

#21 4 years ago

Have one already at our vacation home. I guess we are just hot tub people! Lol

45887FFD-199C-4DE1-AF12-C75318529268 (resized).jpeg45887FFD-199C-4DE1-AF12-C75318529268 (resized).jpeg
    #22 4 years ago

Bought ours two years ago and still use it all the time, except when it's super hot mid-summer.

It requires almost no effort, as Strummy said a small amount of chemicals a week and once or twice a year drain it and give it a cleaning.

It uses around $10 of electricity most months of the year, up to $15 in the winter, although I live in NC which doesn't get too cold.

#23 4 years ago

love going in parents hot tub but deffo wouldn't wanna pay to heat it and look after the water etc... lol

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Also, boats will attract ladies while pins will not.

I think the quality of ladies is tied directly to the quality of the boat.

#25 4 years ago

buy a used soft tub and use the rest of the money for a pin on the cheaper side like f14 or HS.

#26 4 years ago

I can't tell you which to buy - only give some advice on hot tubs.

My wife loves hot water, so we've had a few hot tubs and I learned about them and how to maintain them because it makes her happy.

Several years ago we claimed a free, non-working SofTub (largest size) on Craigslist. It was an easy fix - the internal GFCI had to be replaced - and we used it for a few years. These heat water via convection by running the water around the hot pump, run on 120V, and are really easy to move around when empty. Liked it so much we upgraded to a new, medium sized SofTub and used it for 5 years.

This year we upgraded to a "regular" type hot tub on 240V. Benefits are the heater is separate, so they can be used longer in the cold without losing temp, they have stronger jets, and they keep water cleaner longer with less chemicals. Ours has a UV bulb and more mechanical filters. Newer ones can be self contained, sealed better, and may use less wood than older models. You can just plop them on a deck, rather than building them in.

The key is to have it in a place that you like and is easily accessible, like ralphwiggum above. Ours is also right outside our master bath.
    IMG_5084 (resized).jpgIMG_5084 (resized).jpg

#27 4 years ago

Both. We have never thought about owning a hot tub until our new house came with one. I couldn't imagine not having one again. I researched how to maintain it and it's easy. Drain and clean twice a year and check levels once a week. We use ours 4-5 times a week and it's best in mid winter when it's 0°f outside or a nice summer night with a six pack after a day on the lake. Ours adds about $30 a month to the electric bill in the winter, worth every penny.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

How does this one rank?

7DF33F3A-D550-4459-B17F-505A796CE5CB (resized).jpeg7DF33F3A-D550-4459-B17F-505A796CE5CB (resized).jpeg
    #29 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

How does this one rank?

And how about this one?

boat (resized).jpgboat (resized).jpg
    #30 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

what is this thing? I want one!!! probably can't afford it but I want it!!!

Ebay ....from $1000-$5000

This one is $2500....put a pin in the bathroom next to it!

#31 4 years ago

Sauna beats the hot tub. It’s not a social experience though (mine is a solo unit), I think of it as my get away spot.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Quoted from DBLM:

How does this one rank?

That should attract some classy ladies.

Quoted from fosaisu:

And how about this one?

How close are you to a Skanks-R-Us?

#33 4 years ago

How about a Dutchtub, then?:
    Hot Tub (resized).jpgHot Tub (resized).jpg

#34 4 years ago

I cant help but want to throw in a Large Pile of Ramen!

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

And how about this one?[quoted image]

You are going to laugh, but that is an old Thunderbird, which is the same company that makes my Formula. That boat may look bowling shoe ugly, but is one of the finest, sturdiest boats ever made. You could not sink that boat if you tried. I could definitely pick up women in that boat.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

You could not sink that boat if you tried. I could definitely pick up women in that boat.

Yep. Bet that boat could hold some hefty women.

#37 4 years ago

I have had a hot tub since 1998. At first there were times when it was damn, the sun is coming up.

It has helped a lot when I have had back problems.

It stays ready to use, but I have not been in it in months. No way I would want to get rid of it though.

All the pumps have been replaced a time or 2, and one new cover. The old cover still looked good, it just got too heavy to move.

Honestly, if I did not have pins, I would probably still get in the hot tub almost every night. A big thing also is my girlfriend loves pins, and does not care about the hot tub. Previous girlfriends loved the hot tub so that was where we stayed a lot.

#38 4 years ago

What is the price of the tub that you are looking at op?

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

How does this one rank?[quoted image]

You can definitely land a few gold digging dock hoes with that !

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

You are going to laugh, but that is an old Thunderbird, which is the same company that makes my Formula. That boat may look bowling shoe ugly, but is one of the finest, sturdiest boats ever made. You could not sink that boat if you tried. I could definitely pick up women in that boat.

Quoted from littlecammi:

Yep. Bet that boat could hold some hefty women.

The SS XANAX 0.50 MG strikes again. Remember @vid1900's advice, five 2s > one 10.

#41 4 years ago
    AB72D5CD-A7F7-49D2-B6F5-D3CA8BA05FFD (resized).jpegAB72D5CD-A7F7-49D2-B6F5-D3CA8BA05FFD (resized).jpeg
    #42 4 years ago

Pinsider Hot Tub Expectation:

tumblr_mji13ftLBU1s2vg82o1_400.giftumblr_mji13ftLBU1s2vg82o1_400.gif
    #43 4 years ago

Pinsider Hot Tub Reality:

giphy.gifgiphy.gif
    #44 4 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

What is the price of the tub that you are looking at op?

5k or so.

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Pinsider Hot Tub Reality:[quoted image]

that's some funny sh*t right there

#46 4 years ago

Boat Owner Expectation and Reality:

giphy.gifgiphy.gif
    #47 4 years ago

Be careful when looking for hot tubs. There are hot tub forums similar to Pinside. Not all hot tubs are created equally. My first hot tub purchase was in 2002. Brand new hot tub, I took extreme care with it, did everything by the book. It went through three different pumps, two Motherboards, and an ozonator in 5 years. The final straw was when the 2nd motherboard crapped out when we were gone in the dead of winter and two of the main PVC feeds both cracked/broke. I gave that one away for free, and swore I would never have another hot tub.

Fast forward 10 years and I have had two knee surgeries and have a ton of cartilage missing courtesy of severe arthritis. The hot tub has been my saving grace.

That being said, before I dove back into the hot tub world, I did a ton of research to see if my first experience was a normal one. It appears that a combination of cold Wisconsin winters and various manufacturers can make for a poor experience similar to my first one. This second go round, I started looking at hot tubs that were more favorably reviewed from the "tried and true" manufacturers. It turns out, those tubs were typically in the $7500 range this time around. So I went back a few years and looked for hot tubs made in the last 5-10 years that were found to be reliable. I found a project one (the one I pictured above) and restored it back to its former glory. It has been 1 year so far, and absolutely zero problems. It has been a completely different experience than my first one.

I will say if you can find a way to have 220 run to it instead of 110, do it. The 110 tubs seem to be a bit under-powered for what they are supposed to be. Many of them don't even support the heating element and the jets being on at the same time using 110.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from TZBen:

Sauna beats the hot tub. It’s not a social experience though (mine is a solo unit), I think of it as my get away spot.

I agree 100%!
    I ripped out a fiberglass steam shower unit in my master bath and replaced it with this. I use it as a shower everyday and all I need to do is flip the transom window closed and press the steam control button if I want to.

1C5755E6-906C-4DD5-9216-7FD79C185EDF (resized).jpeg1C5755E6-906C-4DD5-9216-7FD79C185EDF (resized).jpeg6DFAD7A0-EBB2-4602-B5B4-4521842408DD (resized).jpeg6DFAD7A0-EBB2-4602-B5B4-4521842408DD (resized).jpeg
    #49 4 years ago

Moved into a new house last year that had an old hot tub. Wife and kids and I use it 4 times a week year round. It's the most fun in the winter time. Despite it being old and dealing with the maintenance it's still a keeper, less work than most of the older pinballs i started off with as well. If I had to pick a hot tub or one or two more pinball machines I'd pick the hot tub in a heart beat.

#50 4 years ago

When I am working out hard or wakeboarding a lot, there is nothing better than the tub. As I enter my early 40s I don’t think there would be any way I could still push as hard without the tub.

There are 232 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-machine-or-hot-tub?hl=pinball-dood and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.