(Topic ID: 69679)

Build your own Stern/JJP pinball? Good idea or bad...

By Ranhorton

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by ullsokken
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

So like many of you out there I really enjoy stripping/rebuilding a game before adding it into my lineup.
    Whenever I buy a machine I strip everything on top to clean and wax.
    Then I re-sleeve all the coils, rebuild the flippers and fix or adjust everything on the underside.
    I love to clean/fix whatever I can get my hands on.
    Yes. I'm a bit anal and ADHD.

But I am confident in my skills.
    That being said, is there a market for people like me who would love to buy a new game and assemble it on my own (so long as it came with a guide or some sort of instructions?)

It's not that I want to take jobs away from people working on the assembly line but if I had the opportunity to buy a new game and build it myself (at a discount) I would be interested.
    Am I alone?

#2 10 years ago

You are not alone. I reckon it's a great idea.

#3 10 years ago

This should be on the marcet already. Pinball kits.

#5 10 years ago

It's a good idea!

#6 10 years ago

I've been saying to JJP and others for years. Mount the wiring harness so someone doesn't flip it the wrong way and let us do the rest. The price needs to reflect that it was a kit pin.

#7 10 years ago

If kit pins became available it would open up an opportunity to "customize" your pin with factory parts.
    Sort of like choosing options when buying a car.
    I see potential in this plan and would love for someone to shoot holes in it so we can build a discussion.

#8 10 years ago

One hole would be,what if the builder hooked up something wrong and it blew out a board or something else. Who's held responsible? Does the game carry a warranty? What about tech support on a home build from a kit?

I always thought there should be a base game, then you add in options that you want. Maybe the base game would be X amount and if you wanted all the extras it could possibly cost 2K more when finished. The only thing is the code would have to support all options.

Would it work? Maybe

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from JoeinNJ:

One hole would be,what if the builder hooked up something wrong and it blew out a board or something else. Who's held responsible? Does the game carry a warranty? What about tech support on a home build from a kit?

Really good point.
    I'm guessing it couldn't come with a warrantee and the buyer would have to take full responsibility for the build.
    Like a kit car build.
    The lack of warrantee should also lower cost I'm assuming since the manufacturer wouldn't have to cover losses.

#11 10 years ago

At one point I even tried to talk one of the new pin companies into setting up a build school. You'd buy there kit and build it at the factory or possibly at possibly at a pin show. I think there be a huge interest for a factory guy on hand for a build school where you get to take that new game home with ya. This could avoid some issues with the build.

#12 10 years ago

I would be all over it.
    If I am not mistaken, Ben Hecks machine will be available as a kit.

#13 10 years ago

Heathkit really did sell a Bally Fireball pinball machine back in the day.

#14 10 years ago

Pinball 2000 all over again?

Buy one machine and then just buy the kits if you wanted a new machine.

I would have liked to see how well this concept would have done over time.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Pinball 2000 all over again?
    Buy one machine and then just buy the kits if you wanted a new machine.
    I would have liked to see how well this concept would have done over time.

Na, not the pin 2000 again, you'd build the game as a whole. Basically all the parts would be in a box and you assemble the game from the ground up. We'd have to remember there's a ton of little parts to assembling a pin but I for one would be up for it. What's the worst that could happen??

#16 10 years ago

I would! I think if it offered a different type/style of warranty it could work....

#17 10 years ago

JPOP had this option on his zombie game.
    It's an extra $1000 and they send you all the parts and someone from Zidware comes and helps you build it (perhaps even JPOP himself, though that part was never promised).

#18 10 years ago

It sounds like when I bought my lawn tractor. I could buy it assembled for X amount of dollars or on a crate in a box for a few hundred less. I opted for the assembled one in that situation because I feel 5 - 6 hours of my time was worth more then a few hundred bucks.

#19 10 years ago

I recognize this option isn't for everyone but personally I'd rather save money and build a machine myself over the winter months.
    I am one of those guys who equally enjoys working on games as well as playing them...and I'm also one of those guys with limited funds but the desire to own a new game.

Chances are if you're reading this you're one of these guys too.

#20 10 years ago

I love building and even taking things apart, but I know myself, I'd have to get alot more experience with pinball machines before even considering taking on something like this lol but would be fun and afterwards you would have a special pride in the machine you built.

#21 10 years ago

Homepin announced that the new Thunderbirds pin would be available in a kit. But most every body on Pinside showed they were not interested, so Homepin obliged.

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Homepin announced that the new Thunderbirds pin would be available in a kit. But most every body on Pinside showed they were not interested, so Homepin obliged.

I respect homepin and his intentions. I saw his thread and there were quite a few neigh stayers that I feel attacked his intentions just to keep fuel on the fire.

But I feel the kit opportunity is an untapped source of income for more established manufacturers to leverage.
    They have the capacity/connections to produce large quantities of parts to build a game and if they were to add enough parts to their vendor buy for an additional ~250 unassembled pins I feel they could sell those DIY pins at a cost that would still turn a profit.

And who knows...the cost saving opportunity for the consumer could encourage more newbie pin collectors to learn how to work on games, thus expanding/prolonging the hobby.

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from Ranhorton:

I respect homepin and his intentions. I saw his thread and there were quite a few neigh stayers that I feel attacked his intentions just to keep fuel on the fire.
    But I feel the kit opportunity is an untapped source of income for more established manufacturers to leverage.
    They have the capacity/connections to produce large quantities of parts to build a game and if they were to add enough parts to their vendor buy for an additional ~250 unassembled pins I feel they could sell those DIY pins at a cost that would still turn a profit.
    And who knows...the cost saving opportunity for the consumer could encourage more newbie pin collectors to learn how to work on games, thus expanding/prolonging the hobby.

I feel the cost savings would have to be dramatic to equal the time and effort put in by the purchaser. So saving $500 off the retail price wouldn't be worth it to me. What do you value your time at??

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

What do you value your time at??

Some of us would rather spend our time working on something than sitting in front of the TV. Nobody is paying you to do that.

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Some of us would rather spend our time working on something than sitting in front of the TV. Nobody is paying you to do that.

You assume everybody sits in front of a TV with their spare time, maybe you do but some of us are more active and enjoy the outdoors. I like to spend some time moding my machines as much as the next guy but a big task like that would require significant savings to be attractive, to me at least. If you want to spend hours of your time to save a few hundred bucks, hey power to you, that's why it would make a really good option.

#26 10 years ago

You assume everybody sits in front of a TV with their spare time,

I assume nothing.

#28 10 years ago

Speaking of which, I'm trying to break the habit of wasting time here.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

LOL, good one. With karma like yours in less then a year with rating no games I wonder if you ever sleep?

#30 10 years ago

With karma like yours in less then a year with rating no games I wonder if you ever sleep?

Sleep might be a little over-rated.

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I try to only hang here on company time

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from Ranhorton:

FYI...all of those neigh sayers were horses.

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

I try to only hang here on company time

I've got time to kill at my job, thus the large amount of time spent here. And sleep was not over-rated last night.

#34 10 years ago

If the NIB cost is 8k. How much would a pin kit, which is a box with all the pieces, cost? (Same pin)

Would be nice to know.

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from Plungemaster:

If the NIB cost is 8k. How much would a pin kit, which is a box with all the pieces, cost? (Same pin)
    Would be nice to know.

Probably 7k but when you have to assemble the machine you will wish you paid the extra 1k.

Of course by the time you assemble it the code will be finished so maybe saving the extra 1k is a good idea.

#36 10 years ago

Realistically, I would think very few people want to assemble an entire NIB pinball machine. If I was the mfr, I wouldn't touch it. Liability, issues with people screwing it up, claims of missing parts (some bogus), having to provide a 1000 page self assembly manual, minimal incremental sales (if any... Really, tell me who isn't buying Star Trek solely because they can't get a bucket of parts instead of a complete machine?).

#37 10 years ago

Also doubt there would be much of a discount for a kit. Stern would not save that much money. Don't think in terms of it not going down the production line. Think in terms of... Could they literally not have someone come to work because of the labor savings? Unlikely. In fact, the labor and special handling required to kit games in low volume probably exceeds the labor to fully assemble. They would have to create a complex assembly manual and count out every last screw and package appropriately to avoid damage. It would probably create more effort, not less.

#38 10 years ago

Still 7k??

Really? Hmmm..... Then this would never be an option for me.

#39 10 years ago

It's a good idea but I can't see any manufacturer offering it because support issues would be horrible for them. It's almost like going down the ikea route but it could take off. Who'd have thought folks would want to buy furniture in a box they have to assemble at home.

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from Plungemaster:

Still 7k??
    Really? Hmmm..... Then this would never be an option for me.

I agree, I'm not doing all that work to save 1k. In reality if you need to go to those lengths to save the money you really couldn't afford the pin in the first place IMO.

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from tbanthony:

They would have to create a complex assembly manual and count out every last screw and package appropriately to avoid damage. It would probably create more effort, not less.

This is a decent argument against my initial suggestion of a DIY pinball machine kit.

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from Ranhorton:

WTF is a neigh stayer? Someone who refuses to leave the barn??

#43 10 years ago

I would love to build one but the price would have to be at least 25-30% cheaper and I would want the cabinet to be pre-decaled or printed.

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

WTF is a neigh stayer? Someone who refuses to leave the barn??

Well played. Neigh sayer should have been naysayer.
    This is what happens when you are raised outside NYC and wind up living in Wisconsin surrounded by agriculture.
    But to be honest, Wisconsin is just as much (if not more) fun than NYC.

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from JoeinNJ:

Mount the wiring harness so someone doesn't flip it the wrong way and let us do the rest.

Yeah I would do it if the wiring harness and data cards in the back box came fully assembled just to connect to eachother.

But I think the biggest issue about the idea is that if something with the kit your getting is wrong.
    Lets say you assemble the whole thing and test it for the first time... like they do at the factory assembly line before they ship it to customers. And it turns out something is wrong, it's not your fault and you can't figure out whats wrong with it.
    At the assembly line they often just put trouble machines in a corner and deal with them later...

Ofcourse they can build it up, test it, ok it works and take it all apart, box it up and ship it to you. But that would be even more expensive for them.

So why not just try buy a serious rep. object for a cheap price, take it completly appart and build it up again by restoring it back to it's original state.
    Maybe you'll make some $ selling it on?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-machine-kit-good-idea-or-bad and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.