(Topic ID: 25410)

Pinball machine is shocking me! literally!

By vintage4life

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 71 days ago by PinballGurus
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

AF1188E8-78D2-4130-8DCE-B719C9999493 (resized).jpeg
2C6A8BC5-542E-444C-B604-5D1F23638453 (resized).jpeg
1FF93118-C6AA-4EB9-91B9-F29B442F4770 (resized).jpeg
F0523054-A425-4316-90F4-2302B965B299 (resized).jpeg
220C8FC9-1815-42DE-AF29-078A30D05EB0 (resized).jpeg
17C13649-04C9-49CF-8823-D06C63208117 (resized).jpeg

#1 7 years ago

I just bought The Shadow and have noticed that the legs and lock gate will shock me sometimes if I brush against it lightly(very light shock, almost not noticeable). I have checked all the ground wires I could find. The one leading into the backbox wasn't screwed down so I did that and it still does it! Any help would be much appreciated.

#2 7 years ago

That happened with one of my machines due to a flakey ground pin on the power cord. once i replaced the cord the problem was gone.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

That happened with one of my machines due to a flakey ground pin on the power cord. once i replaced the cord the problem was gone.

Yeah my ground pin seems kind of bent up. I will give that a try. Thanks

#4 7 years ago

Make sure your cord has the 3rd (ground) prong, that plugs into the outlet!!! Sometimes, people who didn't have a 3prong outlet, would just clip off the 3rd prong!

#5 7 years ago

that would be a fun mod. get electrocuted when you lose a ball.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

that would be a fun mod. get electrocuted when you lose a ball.

Would work well with the electric chair on TAF!

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from PINBELL:

Would work well with the electric chair on TAF!

i know, thought the same thing

#8 7 years ago

It'd also be cool if you rigged it so a tilt gave you a jolt.

#9 7 years ago

When I got my first pin.. A BSD I got similar situation due to using thin gauged extension cord and over used breaker.. Got a heavy duty extension cord and it cleared it up..

#10 7 years ago

Yeah I just replaced the cord and it still shocks me. When my arm is on the side rail and I touch a bolt or metal part in the playfield it shocks the crap out me! Any thoughts?

#11 7 years ago

Just checked my extension cord that I have shadow plugged in to. No 3rd prong on that! Going out to buy a new one! I hope that fixes it!

#12 7 years ago

Well the new surge strip fixed the cabinet and legs from shocking me. Nice! But if I touch the cabinet and the back screw on the mini playfield it shocks me pretty bad. Nothing else seems to so I will not touch that part hah. Any thoughts on that issue though would be appreciated.

#14 7 years ago

stop shocking yourself.

get a multi meter and check your grounds are all connected, common problem with braided ground wire gets damaged where playfield moves past it , check wall outlet is wired correctly. don't let kids near this machine until you get it fixed.
you can easily check continuity from plug ground to all the steel parts on you cabinet. if you are not sure check it with an other machine

#15 7 years ago

Second that, its unacceptable and a serious risk to anyone playing that game to have a ground issue with live voltage to an accessible part. This needs to be fixed. Should not be difficult to trouble shoot with any functioning multimeter with a continuity test.

I am seriously confused as to how a power strip can "fix" 1/2 of the problem. Either you grounded or your not... Only reason I can think of is that prior outlet had a bad ground and replacing that revealed that the internal grounding strap/wiring is bad in the area your getting shocked from or that you have a live wire fault to a component there. USE a multi meter to read voltage etc across that area it may help you figure out where its coming from. Don't test this with your hands... really really bad idea.

#16 7 years ago

Yeah Its off until I figure it out. Probably just a stray ground somewhere. I'll find it!

#17 7 years ago

is there anything on your game that is not working?

is it possible he has something shorted directly to ground? kind of what it sounds like....just a slightly unedjucated guess....

#18 7 years ago

No everything is working fine. I think there is a problem with the metal post in the battlefield. Maybe a live wire touching it. I'm going to check tonight.

#19 7 years ago

I had a problem once with my TZ where a coil lug with coil HV had wiggled sideways and was touching the bracket. This of course energized the plunger, which was attached to the diverter to the mini. As this was all metal, and attached, it energized the wire form ramp as well.

I would be working on the clock, part of me leaning on the grounded siderail, and when my hand grazed against any of these parts, I would feel the shock, nothing major, but for the longest time wondered what this was about. When I realised that the lug was turned slightly in the bracket, I repositioned it, and no more issues.

Long story short, whatever part it is that is causing he shock, look at everything possible metal that it touches, and I bet you will find a short to something.

#20 7 years ago

All you have to do, at least temporarily, is run a wire from the exposed metal on both machines that cause the shock. Problem will be solved. Of course, if one machine is not really grounded AND there is a short between a positive circuit and the bare metal on that game's cabinet, connecting ground to that game's bare metal will blow a fuse and could damage the circuitry that is making contact with the ground braided parts.

It still will cure your shock issue.

If I read this wrong and you get zapped when touching the cabinet and you are just touching the floor, run a ground wire from a verified grounded outlet or copper cold water pipe (nobody has steel water pipes in their homes anymore, do they?) to the exposed metal on the pin cabinet to cure.

#21 7 years ago

Or you could hook some lights up to said shocking piece and take full advantage of this situation.

#22 7 years ago

It's possible that the hot and the neutral are hooked up backwards on the outlet or the game.

If the game has the short little extension cord from the fuse box in the right front corner, plug an outlet tester into it, and verify wires aren't reversed.

#23 7 years ago

I agree with john, i was getting the crap shocked out of me on my Shadow, it ended up being the outlet ground was not connected.

#24 7 years ago

Thanks for all the advice guys. Much appreciated. I am going to hook it up to a different outlet when I get home.

#25 7 years ago

Could be the outlet, but could also be the wires running to the 3 pin connector where the power cord enters the back of the cabinet. The 3 wires have crimped on spade connectors that slide over the 3 leads from the power cord, so it's easy for them to get swapped around over time if the game is torn apart, or they fall off.

2 weeks later
#26 7 years ago

Yeah it was my wall outlet! All fixed now!

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from vintage4life:

Yeah it was my wall outlet! All fixed now!

Was your house recently remodeled or anything? You might want to check your house real good for any electrical issues.

#28 7 years ago

You can get one of those little outlet testers for under 10 bucks that plugs into an outlet, and verifies if the wires are all present, in the correct locations, etc.

#29 7 years ago

Not meaning to hijack the thread but could someone post the correct wiring for an outlet.
I know it's been posted before but this seems like a good place and time to post it again.

6 years later
#30 78 days ago

I was having the same issue in an outbuilding. None of my games had shocked me before moving them to the new building. The games would only shock me if I was barefoot. I decided to try grounding the building, like so. This was just temporary to see if it would solve the problem and it has so now I’ll ground it better with a spike. Of course this is only if you know the game doesn’t have other issues. I would imagine you could ground your house similarly. I am not an electrician so seek the advice of one, but this is what worked for me.

17C13649-04C9-49CF-8823-D06C63208117 (resized).jpeg220C8FC9-1815-42DE-AF29-078A30D05EB0 (resized).jpeg
#31 78 days ago
Quoted from PinballGurus:

I was having the same issue in an outbuilding. None of my games had shocked me before moving them to the new building. The games would only shock me if I was barefoot. I decided to try grounding the building, like so. This was just temporary to see if it would solve the problem and it has so now I’ll ground it better with a spike. Of course this is only if you know the game doesn’t have other issues. I would imagine you could ground your house similarly. I am not an electrician so seek the advice of one, but this is what worked for me.[quoted image][quoted image]

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-Analog-120-Volt-Gfci-Receptacle-Tester/1000970284
This simple outlet test device can be used to check for open ground, open neutral or swapped line-neutral connections.
Very easy to use and not that expensive.
It also will test a GFI outlet to make sure that they still trip for a ground fault and provide the protection they are supposed to.

#32 78 days ago
Quoted from PinballGurus:

I was having the same issue in an outbuilding. None of my games had shocked me before moving them to the new building. The games would only shock me if I was barefoot. I decided to try grounding the building, like so. This was just temporary to see if it would solve the problem and it has so now I’ll ground it better with a spike. Of course this is only if you know the game doesn’t have other issues. I would imagine you could ground your house similarly. I am not an electrician so seek the advice of one, but this is what worked for me.[quoted image][quoted image]

eeesh... that doesn't look safe at all. It's possible you have a ground fault at some point on the line or whoever wired you building up reversed the polarity on the outlets. I've had to fix a lot of mistakes DIY electricians have made in the past.

Grab that tester dent00 mentioned.

#33 78 days ago
Quoted from vintage4life:

Well the new surge strip fixed the cabinet and legs from shocking me. Nice! But if I touch the cabinet and the back screw on the mini playfield it shocks me pretty bad. Nothing else seems to so I will not touch that part hah. Any thoughts on that issue though would be appreciated.

Sounds like you have a coil live to metal somewhere. Do the coils work in coil test with the door open? If they do, that means the HV cutoff switch on the door is bypassed or not working. If they do NOT fire in test with the door open do you still get shocked with the coin door open (and you can use a multimeter to check the voltage level and save yourself being the guinea pig)?

1 week later
#34 71 days ago

Strange I haven’t been shocked since, but keep trying it your way. lol

#35 71 days ago

Since I wired the building myself, I know it’s correct. My ground works great as a temporary measure until I dig the trench and hard wire it. Been shock free since. Just saying it works.

Quoted from hocuslocus:

eeesh... that doesn't look safe at all. It's possible you have a ground fault at some point on the line or whoever wired you building up reversed the polarity on the outlets. I've had to fix a lot of mistakes DIY electricians have made in the past.
Grab that tester dent00 mentioned.

#36 71 days ago

Shock free pinball room.

1FF93118-C6AA-4EB9-91B9-F29B442F4770 (resized).jpeg2C6A8BC5-542E-444C-B604-5D1F23638453 (resized).jpegF0523054-A425-4316-90F4-2302B965B299 (resized).jpeg
#37 71 days ago

I wired my 220 sauna four years ago and I’m still kicking. ;p

AF1188E8-78D2-4130-8DCE-B719C9999493 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
3,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Stafford Township, NJ
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside