(Topic ID: 81780)

Pinball machine blowing breaker. Thoughts?

By Pinphila

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Ronnie1114
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bobbyt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:

I am going to look at a pinball machine and the owner says it keeps blowing the circuit breaker in the house. I'm thinking the machine is just overloading the circuit. It's a TZ. Any thoughts? Thanks

maybe you can do this with the homeowner, at least you would know if the machine is causing the problem

I run into bad breakers all the time on my service calls to fix homeowner problems, carefully take cover off of breaker panel, make sure the breaker that trips is OFF, use a straight screwdriver on the end of the breaker where the wire is located, carefully turn that loose, pull the wire out, if the breaker above or below is the same 15 or 20 amp, turn that breaker off and remove that black wire , now just put the first wire you took out into that breaker , turn it on , make sure it stays on , then go turn the machine on and check to see if it pops, if not, you have a bad breaker, take note what breaker panel you have, siemens, ge, murray, etc, and make sure you match the amps, I would take the bad breaker out and take it with you home depot , lowes , or electrical suppy house

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

What??? Please don't tell someone to stick a screw driver in an electrical panel unless you first tell them to turn the MAIN off. Everything in the electrical panel is live. I get what you are saying about testing the breaker, but one small slip and you've got 110 going through you.
One other point for newbies, even if the main is off, the lugs are still live. Be careful.

you are right about that, but i did say carefully, the problem with turning off the main is that it can be a nightmare with all the electronics running in the house , you end up with all kinds of problems when you shut down the whole house , make sure you use an insulated screwdriver, 120 volts only stings a little

#11 5 years ago

its an easy thing to do , making too much of it , just trying to help the guy out

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bobbyt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside