(Topic ID: 76180)

Pinball machine and a covered balcony, will it work?

By SundanceKid

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by donjagra
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Hello friends!
    forgive me if I have chosen to put the thread in the wrong kattegori . Then so.. English is not my native language ..

The thing is that I live in a coastal city in a small apartment with sea views.
    But with no place for a pinball machine if I do not set it in the shower..

Here it comes
    BUT , I have a 11m2 ( = 118,393 ft2 ) large covered balcony ...
    The balcony is glazed from floor to ceiling with glass sections that can shoot like in the movie I linked .
    The glazing is so dense that the fans a little easy when the wind blows hard, and when it rains a lot , it will a little water on the floor.
    machine will stand about 1 meter ( 3 feet = 3 ⅜ inches ) from the glass.

I understand that this is not optimal , perhaps?
    dangers as I see it is corrosion considering salty air and humidity . wood materials might also not feel so good at standing in an environment with significant differences .

The balcony has a temperature of < 18c year round ( we have four seasons where I live)
    I wanted to put up an air and watertight covers for pinball .

What do you think , is it stupid to even try , or is there a way to make it work ?

look at 3:23

#t=203

#2 10 years ago

unless you can ensure that no moisture can come in contact with your game (including high humidity), it's not a good idea.

#3 10 years ago

Electronics and salty moisture simply do NOT work and play well together. Salty moist air is brutal. Just look at a beach house sometime. Everything is on the verge of rusting or already has done so.

#4 10 years ago

If the pinball is subject to the weather, I would definitely not do this. You're dealing with large fluctuations in temperature and humidity, as well as airborne sea spray (salt) in fine particulate from the adjacent sea. All of these would destroy your games over time. Covering the pinball when not in use will keep it dry, but temperature/humidity changes will still be a problem.

Just my opinion.

#6 10 years ago

Is there a device such as a computer or other advanced thing that I can set on the balcony as an experimental rabbit?
    Polishing metal pieces and set out to see if they rust?

The neighbors have television sets and sound systems on their

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from Gov:

What a weird video.

hehe did u like the music?
    i think stern is going to make an game out of this movie

#8 10 years ago

did the first cat die in that video?

#9 10 years ago

3:07 in video: Grown-up King Jaffrey

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from SundanceKid:

What do you think , is it stupid to even try , or is there a way to make it work ?

Need more details. If you're in Key West Florida (high humidity), I wouldn't try it. If you're on the south coast of Spain, I'd give it a try.

Quoted from Keetur:

Electronics and salty moisture simply do NOT work and play well together. Salty moist air is brutal. Just look at a beach house sometime. Everything is on the verge of rusting or already has done so.

You would think, but that's not always the case. Pins do just fine on the beach if the humidity is low. Santa Cruz Cal has plenty of pins right down on the beach at the boardwalk. No rust or any other sign of corrosion to be seen.

#11 10 years ago

When I get games, i can always tell which ones came from coastal states. All the metal inside the cabinet gets white corrosion on it. Salt water air does a number on pins.

#12 10 years ago

Go for it. Start with a cheap pin, see how it goes. If it starts to rust, then you will know for sure.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-machine-and-a-covered-balcony-will-it-work and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.