(Topic ID: 176922)

Pinball locks question

By KornFreak28

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7267 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7261 (resized).PNG
    IMG_7230 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7229 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7217 (resized).JPG
    4a6b8d5d-58db-4813-8ee5-a8ac009839b3_600_Ink_LI (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

Hi!

How can locks be "turned" so the key comes out when you lock the translite? I already tried moving the cam in all possible ways and combinations sith no luck. The only way to get the key out in the locked position is if the cam turns to the left side to unlock instead of the right size like its supposed to. Thanks!

#2 7 years ago

Remove the screw. Remove the cam and rotate 90 degrees. Put cam back on. Put screw back on.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

Are you talking about the back box keys? All my keys come out in the locked position. Williams, Sega, Stern and Data East. I'm new to pinball (1 year) so maybe I'm confused.

I just purchased no-key locks. ebay.com link: 1 1 8 ARCADE PINBALL COIN DOOR KEYLESS THUMB LOCK NO MORE KEYS TO LOOSE

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Remove the screw. Remove the cam and rotate 90 degrees. Put cam back on. Put screw back on.
    LTG : )

ie- rocket science.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

ie- rocket science.

Nope. I did that already. Doesn't work. It unlocks to the left side instead of the right side.

#6 7 years ago

I explained in the original post that I tried rotating the cam every way possible and in the end, I have to leave the key inside when I lock the translite

#7 7 years ago

I can remove the key but only in the unlocked position to the right side.

#8 7 years ago

My back box must be messed up then because it won't let the cam turn to the left to make it work

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:

My back box must be messed up then because it won't let the cam turn to the left to make it work

Remove both the Cam AND the little 3/4 moon washer under the cam and place THAT in the correct orientation so that you have it locked and unlocked in the correct locations. The little 3/4 moon washer is what determines the direction of the lock and the position of unlock and lock. Get it correct in your hand testing for lock and key removal, and THEN put the cam on, and then install the lock.

4a6b8d5d-58db-4813-8ee5-a8ac009839b3_600_Ink_LI (resized).jpg4a6b8d5d-58db-4813-8ee5-a8ac009839b3_600_Ink_LI (resized).jpg

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from themadman:

Remove both the Cam AND the little 3/4 moon washer under the cam and place THAT in the correct orientation so that you have it locked and unlocked in the correct locations. The little 3/4 moon washer is what determines the direction of the lock and the position of unlock and lock. Get it correct in your hand testing for lock and key removal, and THEN put the cam on, and then install the lock.

Finally!!! Thank you for showing this so they all know what I was talking about. Its not as simple as turning the cam 90 degrees in my case. What tool do you use to remove the moon washer? Thanks again!

Not rocket science but a lot more to it than turning the cam 90 degrees isn't?

#11 7 years ago

It should practically fall off - if not, a slight pry with a flat blade driver will pop it off.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

It should practically fall off - if not, a slight pry with a flat blade driver will pop it off.

Thanks as always Homepin! You are always here to help. I'll give it s try and report back.

1 week later
    #13 7 years ago
    Quoted from themadman:

Hi,

I barely had time to do this: Do I have to Buy the 180 degree washer? In the picture it looks different than the 90 degree washer. Thanks!

IMG_7217 (resized).JPGIMG_7217 (resized).JPG

#14 7 years ago

That is the standard one. I have only ever seen the 180° washer once so I wouldn't try looking for one.

You should be able to set it up so the lock works over 90° - locked in one position and unlocked when turned 90°

Keep in mind that this washer can be flipped over and there are many combinations of positions - one will be correct for your use.

It is very much like one of those tricky wooden puzzles so good luck finding the correct combo LOL

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

That is the standard one. I have only ever seen the 180° washer once so I wouldn't try looking for one.
    You should be able to set it up so the lock works over 90° - locked in one position and unlocked when turned 90°
    Keep in mind that this washer can be flipped over and there are many combinations of positions - one will be correct for your use.

Thank you Homepin! I will keep trying!

#16 7 years ago

I got it to turn 180 degrees but the key comes out on the opposite side. The key never comes out at the middle position where the translite is located. Not at 90 and not at 180. Do I maybe have to mess with the pins inside the lock?

IMG_7229 (resized).JPGIMG_7229 (resized).JPG

IMG_7230 (resized).JPGIMG_7230 (resized).JPG

#17 7 years ago

Don't touch the pins or you might as well throw the lock away.

First, leave this tab OFF. Set the lock up so it is working correctly - IE the key comes out at the correct place (in the locked position) - determine which direction the lock has to turn in your machine for it to UNLOCK - THEN fit the washer.

Like I said - these are very much a "puzzle" - perhaps there is someone near you that can assist?

#18 7 years ago

The thing is that the lock does not release the key in the middle position (opposite to the plate) where the translite would be. It only releases the key in the unlocked position (horizontally with the plate)

Now, I can't turn the lock around because it has the grooves on the side to install the plate in. These are the grooves...

IMG_7261 (resized).PNGIMG_7261 (resized).PNG

#19 7 years ago

It doesn't matter which position the key is in - just determine where the key comes out and start there - the 90° plate and the lock tongue can be fitted in any position that suits on the lock.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

It doesn't matter which position the key is in - just determine where the key comes out and start there - the 90° plate and the lock tongue can be fitted in any position that suits on the lock.

Let me try again....thanks!

#21 7 years ago

OK- I made a short video. Please excuse the noise as it was filmed on the Homepin factory floor this morning and all sorts of things were going on around me.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

OK- I made a short video. Please excuse the noise as it was filmed on the Homepin factory floor this morning and all sorts of things were going on around me.
    » YouTube video

Thank you very very much for that video sir! Your contributions to Pinside are always much appreciated! Let me do what you just did. I'll report back

#23 7 years ago

Success! Thank you again for your video!

Not "rocket science" but a bit more to it than just turning the cam 90 degress isn't?

IMG_7267 (resized).JPGIMG_7267 (resized).JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-locks-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.