Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 85 days ago by Delta9
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5AFF9987-10DB-4FCD-8FDA-E314D41E738B (resized).png
    16346A08-8902-4939-AA9C-B8FB1697E5E0 (resized).jpeg
    image-213.jpg
    image-129.jpg
    image-585.jpg
    image.jpg
    C2CC0150035425179312.jpg
    SC2913__ra_p.jpg
    image-612.jpg
    image-511.jpg
    image.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

I have a Wico pinball lift, the cylinder is empty so bringing a game down, is more than interesting. Looking to get it working properly again. I got it used, so the seals in the cylinder are probably dried out and shot. So just filling it probably wont work.

Has anyone found a good replacement hydraulic cylinder that can just bolt in?

#2 9 years ago

Here's some pics

image.jpgimage.jpg image-511.jpgimage-511.jpg image-612.jpgimage-612.jpg
    #3 9 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

I have a Wico pinball lift, the cylinder is empty so bringing a game down, is more than interesting. Looking to get it working properly again. I got it used, so the seals in the cylinder are probably dried out and shot. So just filling it probably wont work.
    Has anyone found a good replacement hydraulic cylinder that can just bolt in?

I heard that certian shocks from cars work.

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from Ronnie1114:

I heard that certian shocks from cars work.

I don't think a car shock will work. For a pinball cart you want a piston that provides resistance in once direction and either the same resistance or little resistance in the other direction. A car shock naturally wants to fully extend to hold up 500+ lbs. A pinball machine wouldn't weigh enough to compress the shock to get the cart to lower.

#5 9 years ago

Here is an old post from RGP where Clay and Mike talk about this

http://rec.games.pinball.narkive.com/nRuWOmOW/replacement-pinball-dolly-shock

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from indy5mike:

Here is an old post from RGP where Clay and Mike talk about this
    http://rec.games.pinball.narkive.com/nRuWOmOW/replacement-pinball-dolly-shock

Thank you! I think this is very good info we need to keep up to date for everyone

Here is one that "may" bolt up!
    GM SC2913 - steering damper
    MONROE Part # SC2913 More Info {#22002710, 3196958, 4941313, 4984618, 4993563} Magnum; Compressed Length=14-1/8", Extended Length=24"
    Category: Steering Damper
    SC2913__ra_p.jpgSC2913__ra_p.jpg

This cylinder works, but you have to modify the lower mount, which requires welding
    Gabriel Guardian. As you can see, it does not compress low enough.

Extended Length 25.14"
    Collapsed Length 15.28"
    Stroke 9.86"
    C2CC0150035425179312.jpgC2CC0150035425179312.jpg

Props to the many people on RPG for finding this info out. I'll be ordering the GM one to get a bolt on solution.

4 weeks later
    #7 9 years ago

Just ordered this on Amazon prime. I'll post up an update to how it fits. Using it to move machines for the mgc trip....yaaaa I need the shock working...

#8 9 years ago

Just got it today, but I will try to put it in this weekend

#9 9 years ago

Gm Monroe part

The top part had to be modified to fit the stock mount. I cut the sides off so the middle was only 1/8" wide. Fits great, I just haven't put it under and lifted a pin yet... I'll do that tonight.

image.jpgimage.jpg image-585.jpgimage-585.jpg image-129.jpgimage-129.jpg image-213.jpgimage-213.jpg
    #10 9 years ago

It lifts as usual. The down part, not sure how the original took it down. It has the initial drop (I didn't have shoes on, probably need them to control the pedal to the rail), then slowly brings it down the last few inches. Works for me!

#11 8 years ago

Just ordered mine for my worlds oldest Wico, it's always been missing the shock. Thanks for the info.
    I have found the trick to using it without the shock, lots of body weight on the pedal!

#12 8 years ago

yeah! without a working shock it was scary to drop the machine. Let us know how it turns out!

EDIT: I should mention. I put a shop towel around the shock, put it in my table vice, then took a hack saw to the ends on the top mount. Used a stick sander thing? and sanded down the rubber on the lower one. I used the stock bolts from the cart to mount the shock back in.

#13 8 years ago

Most used a Gabriel Red Rider car shock. They cost less than $20 and lasted for decades.

You can still get them although many old-style car shocks for various cars will work.

#14 8 years ago

Ya the red rider may require welding the mounts though. I do not have a welder :/

1 year later
    #15 7 years ago
    5 years later
    #16 1 year ago

appreciate all the knoldge on this thread ive restored this wico pinball lift know just waiting on new shock from amazon and this beauty will be better than new. I also added some pinball skate caster wheels i had laying around what a differnce from the stock clunky wheels she rolls like butter know

16346A08-8902-4939-AA9C-B8FB1697E5E0 (resized).jpeg16346A08-8902-4939-AA9C-B8FB1697E5E0 (resized).jpeg

5AFF9987-10DB-4FCD-8FDA-E314D41E738B (resized).png5AFF9987-10DB-4FCD-8FDA-E314D41E738B (resized).png
    11 months later
    #17 3 months ago

These posts are old. Does anyone have any updates with parts still available?

#18 87 days ago
    Quoted from GVONM:

These posts are old. Does anyone have any updates with parts still available?

Do yourself a favor go buy a lift from harbor freight these things suck imo

#19 87 days ago

i think the harbor freight "lifts" are a complete joke...

#20 87 days ago
    Quoted from cfh:

i think the harbor freight "lifts" are a complete joke...

To each his own I like the folding handle the way it drops easy to store in a small area aka under a pinball machine the old school lifts are big bulky and just pain in my experience

#21 86 days ago

i think the original Wico carts are the best, and fit great under machines. i have like 10 of them. the harbor freight ones are just junk, and frankly, i don't think they store well. i hate that bloody handle.

#22 85 days ago
    Quoted from cfh:

i think the original Wico carts are the best, and fit great under machines. i have like 10 of them. the harbor freight ones are just junk, and frankly, i don't think they store well. i hate that bloody handle.

If your ever in cali hit me up I’ll give you mine I love my harbor freight one will never go back

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-lift-hydraulic-cylinder-replacement and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.