Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4364.JPG
    IMG_4436.JPG
    IMG_4433.JPG
    IMG_4432.JPG
    pin 003.JPG
    lift table 028.JPG
    lift table 027.JPG
    image_22068.jpg
    lift hinge 2.jpg
    lift hinge 1.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

Considering ordering a lift to move my machines.

Company called Classic Game Rooms has 2 models: wt limit 600lbs, one raises from 19.5" to 26", the second raises from 19.5" to 28". $300 plus $55 shipping for the shorter one, $20 more for the 2" higher lift version.

Any one know of a better deal or better device, or have experience with this particular one?

#2 8 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modified-harbor-freight-lift-table

About $130 for the lift table, and depending how you modify the handle (dozens of examples in the thread), $15-$35 on top of that.

#3 8 years ago

Thanks - I saw this earlier when I searched the archives - I need it to be able to store completely under one of my pins to be out of the way - is there a way to accomplish that? Looked to me like with this device the handle is always protruding from under the pin?

#4 8 years ago

I just bought this and its great. Designed specifically for Pinball tables. It fits right under the tables and has one lift setting that rises the machine about 6 inches off the ground. Its shaped perfectly for tables and allows easy transport or leg work. It also weights significant less that the standard hydraulic tables. This price on Ebay is the best I have found and my experience with twisted quarter was great. Good communication and they shipped it promptly and well packed.

ebay.com link: HEAVY DUTY PINBALL LIFT DOLLY CART MADE IN THE U S A

#5 8 years ago

Yes, you will need to modify the handle in order to be able to use it for pins.

The method I used was a little on the expensive side (about $50), but it has worked well so far:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modified-harbor-freight-lift-table/page/4#post-1758480

Another similar method using large hinges, but it requires drilling (which I was trying to avoid):
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modified-harbor-freight-lift-table/page/3#post-831562
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modified-harbor-freight-lift-table/page/5#post-2457507

Another method using iron pipe and elbows. Personally, I don't like this method since there is no hinge and has to be disassembled to store it:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modified-harbor-freight-lift-table/page/5#post-2185642

#6 8 years ago

I used the harbor freight lift and bought 2 pieces of conduit. One piece is the same diameter as the handle the other is larger. Then I cut them to smaller lengths (maybe 3 inches each) and crushed an inch or so in a vice rounded off the corners and drilled them. I now I have a foldable handle.

lift hinge 1.jpglift hinge 1.jpg lift hinge 2.jpglift hinge 2.jpg
    #7 8 years ago
    Quoted from zeddex:

I just bought this and its great. Designed specifically for Pinball tables. It fits right under the tables and has one lift setting that rises the machine about 6 inches off the ground. Its shaped perfectly for tables and allows easy transport or leg work. It also weights significant less that the standard hydraulic tables. This price on Ebay is the best I have found and my experience with twisted quarter was great. Good communication and they shipped it promptly and well packed.
    ebay.com link » Heavy Duty Pinball Lift Dolly Cart Made In The U S A

I have this and love it.

#8 8 years ago

I've been using a HF lift table without modifying it for years. You can lift the handle out and drop it on top of the table to store it under a pin. It's a huge pain to use and I wish I'd bother modding the handle already but it's possible.

#9 8 years ago

I have the harbor fright heavy duty one that's all grey... it gets the job done pretty well... when do you want to let go of that TZ????

#10 8 years ago

I just picked up the 1000'LBS Harbor lift. I go from the back, and no need to modify the handle. You only need to modify the handle if you want to lift the machine from the front.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yes, you will need to modify the handle in order to be able to use it for pins.

Respectfully disagree. I've been using it without modifacation for a long time. I DO have the parts to change it, but never got around to it and not needed for me.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from J_Striker:

I have the harbor fright heavy duty one that's all grey... it gets the job done pretty well... when do you want to let go of that TZ????

Hello friend. Love that TZ too much, was barely routed and in all original shape except for a few mods - its a family favorite so not going anywhere soon - but I noticed it was on your wish list - if I ever decide to part with it I will let you know.

Still loving your previous STTNG - plays flawlessly. I remember we used your lift to move that STTNG when I picked it up - does the handle fold up so you can store it under a pin? I did not notice when I was there.

#13 8 years ago

Harbor Freight!...and bend the handle with your own arm strength and body weight. Took 1 minute and was FREE. Bend it a little more than needed..and it will all fit under a pin. Pull the handle and it will slide under a bed. None of that fancy hardware needed.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from zeddex:

ebay.com link » Heavy Duty Pinball Lift Dolly Cart Made In The U S A

This is what we use and it's awesome. 3+ years and moved hundreds of pins with no problems.

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Respectfully disagree. I've been using it without modifacation for a long time. I DO have the parts to change it, but never got around to it and not needed for me.

Yea, I haven't modified mine yet and it works fine. You just have to be really careful you are supporting the pin because it's impossible to balance it without the handle mods.

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from asay:

Yea, I haven't modified mine yet and it works fine. You just have to be really careful you are supporting the pin because it's impossible to balance it without the handle mods.

Just go from the back and it is perfectly balanced. No need to modify anything. The 1000lbs version also has a larger bed and fits perfectly. Just load it from the back, jack it up, push it in and remove the other 2 legs. Done... Or, if you are going back in first into a truck, just position it sideways at one end. It is wide enough to have several inches on both sides. Jack it up to be level with the truck simply push it in. Remove the lift and the other 2 legs. I am able to move and load a pin in a Toyota Tundra by myself with this lift.

image_22068.jpgimage_22068.jpg
    http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-60438-9328.html

#17 8 years ago

We have had the harbor freight lift for a few years now and it's been great. I would highly recommend it.

#18 8 years ago

Strangely, I have noticed all my wheels have a divot in them as of last week. I moved a HS on it and noticed this...before it was just sitting under a game for a few months on carpet...very weird.

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

The 1000lbs version also has a larger bed and fits perfectly.

I have the 500lb welfare version.

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

A modification to the handle sure makes it easier and more practical to use. But, I suppose you could just remove the handle too when lifting a pin.

I remember seeing a mod where someone attached a bike brake handle to the foot lever and did away with the U-shaped handle. If you don't use the handle at all, that might be an option.

But if what you have works for you, that's ok too. There's lots of different approaches to using this cart.

#21 8 years ago

Just go from the back and it is perfectly balanced. No need to modify anything. The 1000lbs version also has a larger bed and fits perfectly. Just load it from the back, jack it up, push it in and remove the other 2 legs. Done... Or, if you are going back in first into a truck, just position it sideways at one end. It is wide enough to have several inches on both sides. Jack it up to be level with the truck simply push it in. Remove the lift and the other 2 legs. I am able to move and load a pin in a Toyota Tundra by myself with this lift.
    image_22068.jpg
    http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-60438-9328.html

I basically use that method with my 500lb cart. I also include a heavy piece of cardboard to help slide the pin on and off the cart and to bridge the gap between the back the vehicle and the lip of the cart.

I didn't realize the the 1000lb cart was bigger. I saw that it was much heaver, which is why I ended up going with the lighter 500lb cart. Being able to support the pin using the sides of the cabinet, rather than the cheap particle board on the bottom would be better

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I basically use that method with my 500lb cart. I also include a heavy piece of cardboard to help slide the pin on and off the cart and to bridge the gap between the back the vehicle and the lip of the cart.
    I didn't realize the the 1000lb cart was bigger. I saw that it was much heaver, which is why I ended up going with the lighter 500lb cart. Being able to support the pin using the sides of the cabinet, rather than the cheap particle board on the bottom would be better

I may be wrong, but the display model at the store seemed larger. So, this was based on observation it may be the same size. It is 32x20.

#23 8 years ago

I may be wrong, but the display model at the store seemed larger. So, this was based on observation it may be the same size. It is 32x20.

Just checked.

500lbs:

Product Length 30-1/2 in.
    Product Width 17-5/8 in.

1000lbs:

Product Length 37 in.
    Product Width 19-1/2 in.

For wide body, you just scoot it right in. For standard body you have to put the cart in when it is not jacked. Otherwise it will hit the legs at its base by a hair.

#24 8 years ago

I've got the heavy duty 1,000 lb Harbor Freight table lift. I use it several ways. I use from the side and drop the pin from the standing/moving position down onto the table. Lift and attach legs. Do the reverse when moving the machine out.

I use it from the front as I turned the handle around and it then can be lowered front ways for bringing the lift table between the front legs to move a machine.

I use from the back with the handle up to also move a machine.

Primary I use it to set up machines and take them down. No heavy lifting.

It is nice that the handle can be reversed so instead of folding over the collapsed table, it folds backwards. No extra hardware required.

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from minnesota13:

I use it from the front as I turned the handle around and it then can be lowered front ways for bringing the lift table between the front legs to move a machine.

I thought about the same thing, but you must have had to add a longer cable?

#26 8 years ago

I thought about the same thing, but you must have had to add a longer cable?

I had to add a longer brake cable with my modification. I just measured the lengths I needed for the housing and steel cable and went to a local bike shop. They have spools of that stuff, so can cut any length.

I use mine to raise/lower pins from either the front or the rear of the pin depending on how it's oriented--it makes shuffling things around easier, as well as setup and disassembly.

#27 8 years ago

First remove the handle frame from the mounts.

Reverse mounts.

Install handle frame.

Cable does not need to be modified.

lift table 027.JPGlift table 027.JPG

lift table 028.JPGlift table 028.JPG

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from minnesota13:

First remove the handle frame from the mounts.
    Reverse mounts.
    Install handle frame.
    Cable does not need to be modified.

With mine. The 1k.lbs version. The cable is not long enough to flip the handle.

#29 8 years ago

If you remove the handle from the mounts you don't have to flip the handle. There are two pins, on each side that when removed will release the handle frame from the mounts.

Then just reverse the mounts and re-install the handle. The handle remains with the same orientation
    as was original so no cable change is needed.

Don't tighten down the mounts until you have re-installed the handle.

There is a pin as pictured below on each side of the handle frame to hold the handle in the mounts and to provide a pivot point when lowering the handle.

pin 003.JPGpin 003.JPG

#30 8 years ago

Ahhh, yes... That makes sense. Perfecto. Next question, when you store it under a pin will the handle stick out since it no longer folds down.

#31 8 years ago

I never modified my handle because it picks them up just fine when you have the head down to move it. When I am not using it I just fold the handle back over the cart and slide it under... easy peasy

#32 8 years ago

The thousand pound model is too heavy to carry up and down stairs. If you just need it in the basement it is best, but I prefer the lighter 500 lbs model for moving machines from location to locations.

I also just chopped the bottom 10" off each of the legs and leave the handle loose in the original slots.

#33 8 years ago

The 1K lift table is too heavy to carry anywhere. It's weight makes it difficult to maneuver in tight places.

It will not fit under a pin with the handle folded backwards. Handle sticks out about 12".

It will fit under a pin with the handle folded over the lift table.

It will lift from the side wide bodied and regular width pins with stability permitting adding legs and removing legs for transport with limited lifting.

It can lift and move a pin from the rear with the handle up with the pin's head up or down.

It has a high lift 34" to place lift table almost level with kitchen counters to easily slide engines onto counter top. ( and pickup tailgates)

It is really heavy.

#34 8 years ago

Can't you guys use a dolly to move around your pinball dolly?

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Can't you guys use a dolly to move around your pinball dolly?

Yes except people always make fun of me for saying dolly instead of hand truck.

#36 8 years ago

Here is another pinball dolly alternative.

http://www.pinballmedic.net/yellow_jacket_pinball_dolly.html

Unfortunately it sounds like Pinball Medic will not be manufacturing these pinball dollies for a few months according to the email below that I received from Glenn from Pinball Medic.

=========================================
    Sent: Friday, May 01, 2015 6:50 PM
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: Yellow Jacket dolly news update

I can't find a new shop space that allows me to build dollies (or do restorations). I have plenty of dolly parts, but can't do the welding or painting/coating. I'm now looking beyond Austin, TX.

I've used just about every dolly on the market and was not happy with any of them. That's why the Yellow Jacket was designed and made. So I do feel your pain in that you can't order this dolly.

I wish I could give you a manufacture date. All I can say is that we're going to have to start building them soon (in a few months) as this dolly has gotten really popular with order requests coming in every day.

Glenn
    Pinball Medic
    =========================================

Gord

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from GRB1959:

Here is another pinball dolly alternative.

Haven't seen a website that bad since geocitites.

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yes, the website is truly a work of art, LOL.

Gord

#39 8 years ago
    Quoted from GRB1959:

Yes, the website is truly a work of art, LOL.
    Gord

That website just gave me a headache.

#40 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I agree! Good lord! How do they expect anyone to order anything from that chaos? I mean if a simple website whips their ass this bad how are they going to manufacture lifts in any sort of organized fashion? Would you trust them?

#41 8 years ago

Here is my modification and what I did ...it all comes apart quickly and rolls underneath..

Mick

IMG_4432.JPGIMG_4432.JPG IMG_4433.JPGIMG_4433.JPG IMG_4436.JPGIMG_4436.JPG IMG_4364.JPGIMG_4364.JPG
    #42 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheMickster:

Here is my modification and what I did ...it all comes apart quickly and rolls underneath..
    Mick

IMG_4432.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
    IMG_4433.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
    IMG_4436.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
    IMG_4364.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

I like the tilting board idea.

It would make it easier to slide a pin off the cart if I need to stand it up on its end, rather than put the legs on.

#43 8 years ago
    Quoted from asay:

Yes except people always make fun of me for saying dolly instead of hand truck.

It's an Ohio thing.

Just like "a soda" is "a pop" around here.....

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It's an Ohio thing.

I always thought both terms (dolly vs hand truck) sounded kind of silly.

#45 8 years ago

That website just gave me a headache.

WOW, that sure is not Mobile Device friendly!

#46 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I always thought both terms (dolly vs hand truck) sounded kind of silly.

What do you call it?

#47 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It's an Ohio thing.

Yea, I'm from the philly area. I also finding out that no one knows what a Hoagie or Water Ice is much outside the area.

#48 8 years ago
    Quoted from asay:

What do you call it?

I alternate between dolly, hand truck, and occasionally use cart. I haven't really heard a better term for it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-lift-advice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.