20150701_1333560.jpg
S2.jpg
S1.jpg
K.jpg
I.jpg
20150701_150538.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hey Everyone,
Just wanted to show a quick look at a new mod that we made for Stern's new KISS machine.

This little device will block most of the lighting bleed between the KISS letters on the left side of the playfiled allowing you to distingush between the individual letters. It makes hitting the KISS letter hurry-up much more intuitive.

More info here:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3741

Pictures:
20150701_150538.jpg20150701_150538.jpg
K.jpgK.jpgI.jpgI.jpgS1.jpgS1.jpgS2.jpgS2.jpg20150701_133356(0).jpg20150701_133356(0).jpg

#2 8 years ago

That's a clever little mod.

#3 8 years ago

Thanks Brian! The original design was to have the letters cut out individually, which in theory, sounded good, but in practice, it did not let enough light through with the stock LED boards. This was the final result that looks outstanding compared to the previous revisions. Also, we had to be careful not to make anything too close to the KISS logo as we want to stay away from copyright issues.

--Scott

#4 8 years ago

This should have been factory. I was bitching to our local crew about this on day one...it's THAT bad.

#5 8 years ago

Is that for pro only or does it apply to the premium/LE as well?

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Is that for pro only or does it apply to the premium/LE as well?

Right now it is just for the pro as we do not yet have our LE machine to try it in. Once we get our machine, we will know for sure and I will update this thread.

Thanks,
--Scott

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

This should have been factory. I was bitching to our local crew about this on day one...it's THAT bad.

agreed. this was something that I noticed immediately when playing the game for the first time (it was extremely difficult to determine which letters were scored). something this simple being missed during the design phase is downright unacceptable.

way to take lemons and make lemonade scott!

#8 8 years ago

It probably wasn't missed, but was costed out.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

It probably wasn't missed, but was costed out.

That and/or its just a bad design and they didn't care. It's the same thing they did on Xmen and Tron, but the difference there is that even though there is a HUGE insert there, the art on top of it masks out the excess light on it's own. These little SMD LEDs throw light EVERYWHERE and it's a big white translucent insert with big white translucent dots in the letters. It's a design failure, for sure, regardless of the original intent. If the art had simply been a little different instead of having that big white box around all the letters, it would likely be a non issue.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

It's the same thing they did on Xmen and Tron, but the difference there is that even though there is a HUGE insert there, the art on top of it masks out the excess light on it's own.

I dunno, the first thing I thought when I saw this was, hmm, could you make one of these for Tron?

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I dunno, the first thing I thought when I saw this was, hmm, could you make one of these for Tron?

I'm using frosted LEDs and I don't have an issue with it. If you're using un-capped or clears it might be substantially worse.

#12 8 years ago

Love simple fixes like these that make machines so much better.

#14 8 years ago

Nice and much needed. That was something that caught me right off about the game that I did not like.

#15 8 years ago

Good job...that is one big ol insert for sure.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I'm using frosted LEDs and I don't have an issue with it. If you're using un-capped or clears it might be substantially worse.

I mean, it's not terrible, but the light does bleed some.

#17 8 years ago

Always thought the same thing about the TRON Insert.
LE has the same generic Cool White LED PCB's and their light goes everywhere.

#18 8 years ago

Scott, you need some photos and measurements for Tron?

#20 8 years ago

You've got to keep it separated!

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Scott, you need some photos and measurements for Tron?

Send them over!

#22 8 years ago

Well done! We need some video!

#23 8 years ago

Very sweet. It never ceases to amaze me how much talent this pinside group has.

#24 8 years ago

Cool beans covered in awesome sauce

#25 8 years ago

let the modding begin!!!

#26 8 years ago

Scott, if you need access to a Tron I have an LE over here. I think you sold your Tron Pro recently.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-life-stern-kiss-insert-led-separator and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.