Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 132 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by FirebrandX
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Pinball life or Cointakers LEDs”

• Pinball Life 47 votes
      27%
    • Cointakers 92 votes
      52%
    • Other 38 votes
      21%

(177 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_0101.JPG
    dracula.JPG
    DSC04172.JPG
    NFP5.jpg
    NFP4.jpg
    NPF3.jpg
    NPF2.jpg
    NFP.jpg
    There are 132 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 10 years ago

what's your choice.......heard mixed reviews on both, you decide and I will go with majority vote!

#2 10 years ago

Pinballbulbs.com is worth checking out too. But between those two I prefer cointaker.

#3 10 years ago

Maybe you should add a poll.

I've used both. Never ordered the CTs but have had them come with games. I honestly don't see a ton of difference, but know they have the flex and therefore possibly a few more options than PBL. I mostly use PBL for all my pin needs though.

#4 10 years ago

We use a mixture of both... Cointaker frosted cool whites for GI and F-ing brights from PBL for inserts = one BEAUTIFUL looking machine

#5 10 years ago

I use a mix. I like subdued lighting generally. The pinball life frosted ones I think are great for general GI, the non frosted ones I like for inserts. Cointakers I find I like better on indirect inserts, buttons, and accenting GI.

If you can afford it, I'd suggest a mixture of both. Get a few dozen of each and try them out. That's how I was taught to do LEDs and I do it every time. It's a very personal taste I find, and both types do different things.

#6 10 years ago

No Flix Plus. You pay a little more but get better LEDs NFP.jpgNFP.jpg NPF2.jpgNPF2.jpg NPF3.jpgNPF3.jpg

#7 10 years ago

Carvel or Dairy Queen?

#8 10 years ago

I used both cointaker and pinball life in all my machines and here is what I have found.

If it is in a newer Stern pro then go cointaker non-ghosting because pinball life ones have annoying ghosting on newer Stern pro's.

If it is in a Williams machine like JM or T2 then go pinball life because their LED's are much cheaper and don't have ghosting in the Williams machines.

#9 10 years ago

nice looking sc1f1, I heard Cointakers burn out a lot easier then pinball life?

#10 10 years ago

Like stated above, I tend to use a mix of both. However now that pinballbulbs.com is up and running I've been getting the bulk of my stuff there, and using Cointaker to fill in the spots PB doesn't have yet (flex, etc) Very happy with the results.

#11 10 years ago

I have used several LED sellers in the past. And all sellers have been great to order from.
    For me it boils down to:

1) Price
    2) Quality
    3) Service

Thanks to you all:

CoinTaker
    BCS Pinball

#12 10 years ago

nice looking sc1f1, I heard Cointakers burn out a lot easier then pinball life?

I used all CT on my FH and WH20 and I'll never use them again too bright and loose fitting. Plus the domes fall off.

No Flix plus are solid plastic with the LED made inside the plastic.

Here is one I busted just to see how it was made... This is why they are more expensive and disperse light better IMO

NFP4.jpgNFP4.jpg NFP5.jpgNFP5.jpg

#13 10 years ago

wow good point, what are the difference in price range over CT

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from Sc1f1:

I used all CT on my FH and WH20 and I'll never use them again too bright and loose fitting. Plus the domes fall off.

Yes this is true, they do fall off. Also the CT LED's fall out of the spot lamps all the time. The good thing is CT will send you extra LED's with you shipment for free because there is always some of them in your shipment that just don't work. But PBL just sends what you ordered so you have to order a bit extra because some of theirs don't work either when you get them.

#15 10 years ago

I like the pinballbulbs.com LED's. They are great, priced right, and ship fast!

#17 10 years ago

interesting.......one that plans for problems and the other that makes you pay for problems!

#18 10 years ago

I think you get what you pay for. If you want cheap lighting then pinbulbs isnt a bad idea.
    I spend a litte more on mine because I want a professional look.

I'm replacing all the CTs on my AC/DC Prem. with NFPlus. I can't wait till they get here. I've had a ton of CTs falling out of my AC/DC and the tops come off and fly everywhere

#19 10 years ago

that's bad, actually I was playing a IJ and one of the LEDs fell on too the playfield, think it was from the plane above.........

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from Mato:

I heard Cointakers burn out a lot easier then pinball life?

You heard wrong. LED's themselves pretty much all come from China, its the mounting and implementation that varies between vendors, but the base LED/SMD has the same mean time between failures across the board. And that MTBF is a factor better than incandescent.

I use CT, PBL and Pinballbulbs intermixed on all my machines, depends on the use I need them for. For cheap spots where I know I wont have ghosting and will not directly see the bulb you can't beat .36 cent bulbs from PBL. For most frosted, CT get my business, for Warm White GI Pinballbulbs tends to be more consistent,,,, again, it all depends on what you are doing.

Worse thing, don't spend $200 on a 'kit' thats the only constant. Kits are for those who do not want to do homework and just want someone else to shop for them. Just like picking up a phone and telling someone else to buy your groceries, you will pay more and you get what you get.

#21 10 years ago

As much as I love PBL for parts I just don't like their LEDs. I ordered a sample and had to sand them down just to fit.

PB are just ok - they don't have much variety and the caps are too large to fit some places. Not a significant cost savings for me to mess with again.

CT look the best IMO both lit and unlit. I mostly buy their standard frosted bulbs. They seem to be higher quality, and the prices are fair.

#22 10 years ago

I have used a bunch of different vendors for LEDS.

I haven't had any real problems with any of them. LEDs that fall out of spotlamps are shrink tubed in place. Never had any other issues.

Of course, I have yet to receive any 'extra' leds from a vendor either

#23 10 years ago

I am awaiting inventory on Friday....Site is under development, though functioning on commerce level. Please take a peak, before formal announcement......much more to come.

www.cometpinball.com

Thanks.

Art

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I am awaiting inventory on Friday....Site is under development, though functioning on commerce level. Please take a peak, before formal announcement......much more to come.
    http://www.cometpinball.com
    Thanks.
    Art

Any plans to get bulbs that don't ghost for inserts?

#25 10 years ago

Bah for a moment I hoped someone spent the time to make a website dedicated to the grate Williams System 9 pin like was done to www.firepowerpinball.com and that machine.

#26 10 years ago

I have NEVER EVER had Cointaker send me extra bulbs with my order "just because". It really irks me that I've had four of their frosted ones that I bought at TPF break apart in the last week, when I barely even touched them. I placed my order with PinballBulbs based on their color temp for warm whites that I had samples of, the ability to hopefully fit them into my wedgehead, and Cointaker's prior privacy issue, which annoys me.

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinballa1983:

We use a mixture of both... Cointaker frosted cool whites for GI and F-ing brights from PBL for inserts = one BEAUTIFUL looking machine

+1

This is also the combo I use. CT Frosted for GI's and PBL F'in brights for inserts. Can't go wrong.

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jlanderson85:

+1
    This is also the combo I use. CT Frosted for GI's and Ablaze F'in brights for inserts. Can't go wrong.

I found the frosteds to not be bright enough for my tastes in the backbox of my WH2O and ES. I preferred the 2 led cool white retros for my GI in the ES. On the Wh2O I left the incandescents in place for the GI.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Any plans to get bulbs that don't ghost for inserts?

Sure, They should be in Friday. I have 1 SMD in Frosted, Clear, and No Lens, 2 SMD, with a New Faceted Lens, and are the only one to have 4-SMD Non-Ghosting, which looks amazing under red arrows and large inserts. .99 each all Non-Ghosting, and less....Free shipping, rewards center coming..

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I have NEVER EVER had Cointaker send me extra bulbs with my order "just because".

No, but I have had them send me extras when I reported a issue with a couple I've gotten that were defective. They covered the shipping and tossed in a couple extra even after I asked them to hold until my next order and save the shipping.

Quoted from Frax:

Cointaker's prior privacy issue

And that was just a bunch of sophomoric crap. Folks call CT by personal names all day long and 10 times to Sunday, but then CT cites a Pinsider by name and hens cluck foul and act like a credit card database was just shared. Darker days on Pinside that I hope have passed.

#31 10 years ago

Yeah, whatever. Fact is they shouldn't be talking to their friends, personal or otherwise, about what specific customers are ordering. I'm buying stuff from them, not from their pals or fanboys.

And to be fair, I haven't asked CT to replace any of my bulbs that failed, but someone did say that "CT will send you extra LED's with you shipment for free", which is patently wrong in my experience.

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Sure, They should be in Friday. I have 1 SMD in Frosted, Clear, and No Lens, 2 SMD, with a New Faceted Lens, and are the only one to have 4-SMD Non-Ghosting, which looks amazing under red arrows and large inserts. .99 each all Non-Ghosting, and less....Free shipping, rewards center coming..

Sweet, I'll keep an eye out make sure to let us know which ones don't ghost on the site. Free shipping is always a welcome sight to see!

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Thanks.
    Art

Love it!

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

But PBL just sends what you ordered so you have to order a bit extra because some of theirs don't work either when you get them.

I've ordered a couple hundred bulbs from PBL, and haven't yet found a single one that didn't work perfectly.

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Thanks.
    Art

WOW awesome prices! And yes CT did send me extra's for no reason at all. My guess is because they knew out of every so many some don't work. Or maybe it was because it was a huge order? I don't know?

#36 10 years ago

Thank you!

The single LED are .29/25pc & .26/100pc.

Art

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Thanks.
    Art

Edit: looks to be removed

#38 10 years ago

As you can see, there is no straight answer. The major factors of performance are color, brightness, and spread.

Here is my method.

For GI (backbox or playfield):
    - I use Pinball Life warm white for places with lots of reds. The Pinball Life warm white LED is actually slightly pink, but this works great for plastics or inserts that have red.
    - I use Pinball Bulb warm white for places with lots of yellow and browns. These seem the most yellow of the bunch, but are also noticeably brighter than Pinball Life bulbs.
    - I use Cointaker warm white or Pinball Life cool white for places with lots of blues and greens. These are the coolest colored LED's.
    - The Cointaker Retro LED is nice if the bulb itself may be visible (such as under the slingshot) and you care about its appearance.

For inserts:
    - You need to first determine if you need anti-ghosting bulbs, as is the case with some WPC machines. This will vastly limit your choices.
    - Given needs for ghosting, bulbs that project straight to the insert can be purchased based on brightness preference and color.
    - If you have locations where the bulb is mounted parallel to the insert (so that the insert is lit by light from the side of the bulb), your choices are further limited, with the Cointaker Flex being the most direct fix to this problem. If you do not have a ghosting problem, wide-angle LED's are an available option.

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from Sc1f1:

No Flix Plus. You pay a little more but get better LEDs

Couldn't agree more.

#40 10 years ago

Sorry, James, you are correct, they are placeholders.

They all will be replaced in a couple of days.

the Copyright is the standard legal junk when a website is built.

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

Your site took pictures from the other vendors such as Pinballbulbs, CT and even PBL and then claim copyright...for shame
    In fact, on this page you didn't photoshop out the PB lol http://www.cometpinball.com/category-s/1818.htm

Yea, sucks when people copy your stuff.

#42 10 years ago

I used all pinball life. Close by so they get here in 2 days

DSC04172.JPGDSC04172.JPG

#43 10 years ago

I've met the Cointaker crew at Pinfest and took advantage of the show specials. Got home and have now received 3 more orders in past month.... Overall first class service and a great product variety.

#44 10 years ago

I'm also in the Noflix+ camp for controlled lamps such as with inserts. The capacitor in the bulb helps somewhat with ghosting, but also serves to give the bulb a less square on/off characteristic, meaning that they have a slight fade. The effect can vary by bulb color. If anybody was at CAX this year and saw the CV that was in the tourney area, that machine used Noflix+ bulbs for the playfield inserts.

I also use Noflix+ bulbs in area where I really need to pay attention to the ball, such as near the flippers. I am sensitive to 60hz strobe that you can get from using a non-capacitor LED bulb for GI. I can see the same kind of flicker in old CRT computer monitors. It's like the visual equivalent of a buzzing in my ear.

For the rest of the playfield and backbox GI, I like to use warm white CoinTaker retros. They have a color temperature that's not far from incandescent bulbs. To give them a better dispersion, I use a scotch-brite pad to scuff up the domes on the bulbs to turn them frosted. It also helps reduce glare if the bulb is directly observable. I go conservative with color here because the primary purpose for me running LEDs in this capacity is to reduce load on the backbox wiring and plugs more so than for show.

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from ckochan:

I am sensitive to 60hz strobe that you can get from using a non-capacitor LED bulb for GI. I can see the same kind of flicker in old CRT computer monitors. It's like the visual equivalent of a buzzing in my ear.

I think I am too and that's why I've like NF+ from the first time I used them. I almost get dizzy looking at certain LEDs

#46 10 years ago

well I have to do an order for my JB and DH so I will give it to Friday and see what the poll comes back with........also gives me a bit more research time on what LEDs I need for each machine

#47 10 years ago

I had experiences with both pinballlife and cointakers, but the best value (high quality with lowest cost) out there to me is Pinballbulbs.com. Their 44/47 bulbs are easiest to be inserted into the sockets. Bright and even light dispersion through out, and very versatile since you can pop the frosted caps off to change the bulbs into clear. Definitely worth ordering a sample pack to check them out.

#48 10 years ago

I will def check them out, a sample set is a good option

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from CoinTaker:

Yea, sucks when people copy your stuff.

hey do you guys sell sample sets? Could be the easiest way to decide the better quality.

#50 10 years ago

I am about to put a whole cointaker "kit" in. Beat me now if you like. I ordered from various places and did not like some and could not remember where others came from and spent way more than I should to get my sky jump looking right (GI on the PF was left as incandescent). Pictures will come probably next week on how having cointaker do my shopping went.

There are 132 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-life-or-cointakers-leds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.