Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PinFixin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

I bought a Pinball Life classic stern rebuild kit, with 2 classic stern flipper bats (version 1). The Flipper shaft barely fit into the pawl on the rebuild kit on one of the flippers, the other flipper I had to hammer the actual bat in (without any set screws installed). At first I thought this was nice because it makes it a lot easier to adjust the angle of the flippers, however the 2nd flipper now is binding (won't return to rest). I wanted to see if I could grind down the shaft a bit, but now I can't even get the flipper shaft out! I have placed a philipps screwdriver underneath the playfield, through the pawl, hammering it to push it through the top of the playfield, and got it part way out, but it's hung up on something. Once again, this is with no set screws installed. The bottom part of the shaft, is too big to fit through the pawl.

Were these the correct parts to fit with each other?

Classic Stern Shoe and Shaft Flipper Bat Assembly - 02/77- 03/1980 (Type 1) SKU: 1A-284_C-611-5
("https://www.pinballlife.com/classic-stern-shoe-and-shaft-flipper-bat-assembly-1977-1980.html")

Classic Stern Flipper Rebuild Kit - 02/1977-11/1981 SKU: stn_flip_rebuild
("https://www.pinballlife.com/classic-stern-flipper-rebuild-kit-left-and-right-flippers.html")

-Pat

#2 1 year ago

They do have some tolerance issues with this from time to time. It you try to reuse an old crank or old bat with new stuff it can be even worse.

Grinding down the shaft probably isn't going to fix your issue though, unless it also had problems fitting through the bushing? Usually that issue is caused by the crank being too high or low on the shaft, or the coil being misaligned.

#3 1 year ago

I have had issues with the repro classic stern flipper mechs/rebuilds. It’s unfortunate, and they really need to hear the feedback. I’ve have bushings that didn’t allow the flipper to move easily, coil stops that didn’t seat correctly on the plate, plates with big metal burrs from the thread tapping that had to be filed off, and flippers that don’t consistently come to rest for reasons I can’t figure out. I’ve restored a couple dozen machines and done flipper rebuilds in more than that, so I really think the problem is with the product, not me. Also, I’ve never had this issue with Williams flippers.

Anyhow…peoples shouldn’t have to have machinist skills in order to rebuild their classic stern flippers. Sorry you got as far in it as you did, it’s terrible to be wailing on a playfield with a hammer!

I would ask PL for a replacement at no further charge to you. No slam on them, they’re and indispensable resource to us all, but probably the quality control will continue to be spotty as long as it isn’t a pain for them. If they keep getting complaints and having to send replacement parts, eventually maybe they’ll be in a position to demand better. I have no idea who makes those parts, but the issue you’re having shouldn’t come up. It also would be a very good idea if they would make flipper bases with extra threading for the coil stops, a la Williams. That little 3/32” bit of sheet metal thickness isn’t much against the impact of the flipper mechs, and I’ve seen more than a couple old Stern flipper bases where the coil stop is permanently loose because the threads failed. I’ve never seen that from a (1980s-on) Williams flipper assembly.

That said, you

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from PinFixin:

I bought a Pinball Life classic stern rebuild kit, with 2 classic stern flipper bats (version 1). The Flipper shaft barely fit into the pawl on the rebuild kit on one of the flippers, the other flipper I had to hammer the actual bat in (without any set screws installed). At first I thought this was nice because it makes it a lot easier to adjust the angle of the flippers, however the 2nd flipper now is binding (won't return to rest). I wanted to see if I could grind down the shaft a bit, but now I can't even get the flipper shaft out! I have placed a philipps screwdriver underneath the playfield, through the pawl, hammering it to push it through the top of the playfield, and got it part way out, but it's hung up on something. Once again, this is with no set screws installed. The bottom part of the shaft, is too big to fit through the pawl.
Were these the correct parts to fit with each other?
Classic Stern Shoe and Shaft Flipper Bat Assembly - 02/77- 03/1980 (Type 1) SKU: 1A-284_C-611-5
("https://www.pinballlife.com/classic-stern-shoe-and-shaft-flipper-bat-assembly-1977-1980.html")
Classic Stern Flipper Rebuild Kit - 02/1977-11/1981 SKU: stn_flip_rebuild
("https://www.pinballlife.com/classic-stern-flipper-rebuild-kit-left-and-right-flippers.html")
-Pat

Just call Terry at Pinball Life and he will 100% make it right.

#5 1 year ago

Yes Terry and his team are great there they will make it right for u

#6 1 year ago

I don't even know how to make it perfectly round if I was to reduce the diameter of the shaft at the bottom. I don't have a metal laithe, or a sanding belt (I wouldn't make it perfect with that anyways.)

It is going through the bushing ok. I think the reason it's binding is possible the pawl (crank) is just a little out of whack being pushed down too far. I'm going to research some options with just putting it back in. Maybe there is someway to ensure the pawl (crank) is close enough to the baseplate as it should be, then mallet the bat from the top of the playfield to put it back in. I wonder if some sort of lubricant would have an effect also, without being too messy.

I'm also going to have my wife help me remove it (holding the playfield still) and give it a real good whack or two. If that doesn't remove it, I'm scared to violently hammer it anymore. Guess I could use heat, but that is concerning too LOL.

So the problem I have now I guess is removing it to place another in there. Terry/Margaret have always been good taking care of problems, I just don't know how to remove it safely now.

-Pat

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from PinFixin:

I just don't know how to remove it safely now

Maybe cut the shaft?

-Rob
-visit https://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my Type 1 sound board for classic Williams games

#8 1 year ago

I'm wondering if the cause for the binding was the flipper shaft wasn't as far down as it could go in the pawl because it was so tight, therefore causing the pawl to be a little crooked. If I can't get it out, maybe I can hammer it in from the top, while holding the pawl up against the baseplate to try to get the shaft all the way through.

It's so tight, it's a little ridiculous. I'd rather get it out, get the proper shaft, and use the set screws to tighten instead of hammering everything. Especially since this is a game I'm probably selling soon.

Terry responded and is going to replace. TY Terry!

-Pat

Edit: Cutting the shaft is an option, however I would need to replace a brand new pawl, or entire linkage.
Also just an FYI. I've been restoring games for 35 years, so have rebuilt about 100 pairs of flippers or so. I've never even seen anything anywhere close to how tight this is.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from PinFixin:

I'm wondering if the cause for the binding was the flipper shaft wasn't as far down as it could go in the pawl because it was so tight, therefore causing the pawl to be a little crooked. If I can't get it out, maybe I can hammer it in from the top, while holding the pawl up against the baseplate to try to get the shaft all the way through.
It's so tight, it's a little ridiculous. I'd rather get it out, get the proper shaft, and use the set screws to tighten instead of hammering everything. Especially since this is a game I'm probably selling soon.
Terry responded and is going to replace. TY Terry!
-Pat
Edit: Cutting the shaft is an option, however I would need to replace a brand new pawl, or entire linkage.
Also just an FYI. I've been restoring games for 35 years, so have rebuilt about 100 pairs of flippers or so. I've never even seen anything anywhere close to how tight this is.

Ya never seen or done one that tight before it's very odd in deed

#10 1 year ago

Got the shaft out with my wife's help, lol. She held the playfield tight, and the pawl up against the plate, while I got in position and gave it a good 2 whacks with the mallet. Shot it over the head lol. And no damage to anything. Thanks guys, it was a weird one indeed.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from PinFixin:

Got the shaft out with my wife's help, lol. She held the playfield tight, and the pawl up against the plate, while I got in position and gave it a good 2 whacks with the mallet. Shot it over the head lol. And no damage to anything. Thanks guys, it was a weird one indeed.

This is just open to interpretation. lol

Rob

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from PinFixin:

Great too hear you got it out my wife helps me also when I need more hands

#13 1 year ago

So there IS such a thing, as a shaft being too big around/circumference...........

#14 1 year ago

Hey, 3 people picked up on that. I noticed that comment sounded NC-17 after I posted, but thought I'd leave it for laughs.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-life-issue-flipper-rebuild-kit-and-classic-stern-shoe-shaft and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.