(Topic ID: 262256)

Pinball Life in Oregon... WTF!!!??? How Say You???

By PinballGurus

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 78 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by guitarded
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would You Have Purchased The EBD???”

• Yes 20 votes
    57%
  • No 15 votes
    43%

(35 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 5.23.54 AM (resized).png
images (resized).jpeg
0B7D1A55-0234-4BB4-9D43-2579083DDF67 (resized).jpeg
F5A7785A-7955-4EF1-B2BC-D615432A7469 (resized).jpeg

There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

Recently I saw an ad for a Police Force pin in my own city. I had a friend I did a restore on a Nip It who went and looked at the machine, but passed on it; so I sent my other friend who was looking for a pinball machine. I ended up meeting him at “Joe’s” place to check out the machine, give my buddy some buying advice, and perhaps make a new pinball contact.

While visiting “Joe” and checking out Police Force, it was pretty obvious he was a major collector, having a very nice collection. While there I notice an Eight Ball Deluxe machine which caught my eye because I’ve repaired two in a row and know that machine fairly well, so I asked him if it was also for sale? He said no, so I quickly placed it in the back of my mind and consulted my buddy about Police Force, which he ended up purchasing.

While headed home, I message “Joe” once again expressing my interest in EBD; not expecting a return message.

A day or so later I get a message from a friend in the “pinball community,” “Robert,” I’ve been talking to for about a year and he tells me “Joe” is holding that game for another guy I’ve done business with who lives in Portland and fixes machines. I said cool no problem, and simply mentioned if “George” doesn’t come thru, I’ll buy it and perhaps; even pay more?

Anyways... a day goes by and I get a text from “Joe,” saying if I want the EBD, be at his place at 6pm. Of course, since I wanted the machine, I show up right at 6pm with cash in hand, trailer, etc. and buy the machine.

Another day goes by and I speak to “Robert” who proceeds to tell me “George” is pissed off I bought the machine from “Joe” and “requests” I sell it to “George” for what I paid to make things right... to which I said no.

#2 4 years ago

All names have been changed to protect the innocent. lol

#3 4 years ago

You were there when asked to be there. Cash in hand.

And he obviously got his first dibs on it and didn't come through...or you would never had seen it in the first place.

I wouldn't really worry about it, but if I really wanted to be the 'Good Guy' I would offer to drop it off at his shp for whatever I paid plus $150 to move it.

#4 4 years ago

That sounds great in theory, but I had no idea you could call dibs on a machine and like you said he obviously didn’t come grab it or why would “Joe” have contacted me and told me to come get it if he already had a deal with “Jason?”

Quoted from guitarded:

You were there when asked to be there. Cash in hand.
And he obviously got his first dibs on it and didn't come through...or you would never had seen it in the first place.
I wouldn't really worry about it, but if I really wanted to be the 'Good Guy' I would offer to drop it off at his shp for whatever I paid plus $150 to move it.

#5 4 years ago

Sorry this isn’t meant to be a rant, but I’m very confused why two adults would be so upset over a “business deal???” If he had put down a deposit that’s a different story.

#6 4 years ago

Y'all have some sewing circle going on there...

#7 4 years ago

Just guys we (use to?) bounce pinball ideas back and forth. I’ve actually met both guys, yet they haven’t actually met each other so there’s that too. I’m just caught in the middle like “Joe,” perhaps? It’s funny; but tragic. Sewing circle my ass... “Pinball... Metal... Et al...” lol

Quoted from Daditude:

Y'all have some sewing circle going on there...

#8 4 years ago
F5A7785A-7955-4EF1-B2BC-D615432A7469 (resized).jpegF5A7785A-7955-4EF1-B2BC-D615432A7469 (resized).jpeg
#9 4 years ago
0B7D1A55-0234-4BB4-9D43-2579083DDF67 (resized).jpeg0B7D1A55-0234-4BB4-9D43-2579083DDF67 (resized).jpeg
#10 4 years ago

I’d take a picture of yourself drinking a beer playing EBD and send it to Jay. Then tell Jay he can bring good beer over (none of that Budweiser crap) and some barbecue at his expense and you might let him play it.

#11 4 years ago

are you drunk?

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballGurus:

Just guys we (use to?) bounce pinball ideas back and forth. I’ve actually met both guys, yet they haven’t actually met each other so there’s that too. I’m just caught in the middle like “Joe,” perhaps? It’s funny; but tragic. Sewing circle my ass... “Pinball... Metal... Et al...” lol

Your story is a little hard to follow. Better punctuation would help!
And you added that bit about the “fix up, sell, split the profits!” At the very and and that was kinda odd. Doesn’t paint the full picture.
If Jay didn’t put a deposit on it then it sucks to suck.

It’s shitty to offer more for a game to buy it out from under someone, but Joe sounds like he wasn’t too worried about it. Jay should be pissed at Joe for turning back on the deal. Not you simply because you showed up and followed through.

#13 4 years ago

Really odd poorly written story. End result, I don’t care what you do. I only clicked the thread because I thought it had to do with Pinball Life the company.

#14 4 years ago

Aw man, I got all excited. I thought Pinball Life was moving to Oregon!

I'd have to hear all sides of the story to have an opinion about what went down, I also found it a little hard to follow the story.

#15 4 years ago

And the Twerpty for the worst thread title goes to....

#16 4 years ago

Sounds like you told Joe you'd be interested, if Jay "doesn't work out." Joe then sells it to you, so presumably Jay backed out, as far as you're concerned. Seems like if Jay is mad, that's Joe's fault...

Trying to offer more to incentivize Joe when he already had a deal with Jay is a bit mean though.

#17 4 years ago

Dear mr. @pinballgurus (I assume I am addressing an individual and not a collective.

I'd like to take a moment to point out that the Pacific NW collector community is incredibly small and for the most part very well knit and many of us are family to one another. In the last decade that I've been taking trips from N to S (K. Falls to Bellingham) I've met many individuals who are keeping this insane, amazing and oh so addictive thing called Pinball ALIVE.

To those of us who've been at it more than a few years I assume that we all know exactly who you are referring to (a FB msg this AM to a friend revealed this to be the case). I find your post unfortunate in several different respects: firstly, the assumption that it's "anonymous" (and or you are actually shit posting to jab at folks on purpose but let's go ahead and give you the benefit of the doubt that you aren't an asshole). Secondly, the supposed context of the post itself makes you look like an underhanded opportunist; if you know the other potential buyer you could have easily reached out to them first and said "hey bro, you gonna make a move and if not mind if I scoop it?" Thirdly, it's a really small world and if you believe in Karma then expect that you'll be on the other end of a situation like this (we all have been!) and how would that feel?

Communicating in a direct and honest manner between the parties directly involved would be the best way to resolve this, posting the pix of your snagged booty is also suspect... just why?! It's all in very bad form IMHO. We are an eclectic bunch, I'd say we are freaks of human nature in many regards and for better or worse for many of us our love for pinball knows no bounds. Please take my thoughts with a grain of salt as I have also not always been the easiest person to deal with; I am also guilty of being wishy washy and or perhaps a bit too firm but I believe the people who know me well would attest that I do my best to be a stand up individual who wants to share the love of this culture/hobby/lifestyle (thanks Stern! LOL) continue to blossom for all of us.

Cheers,

KHL

images (resized).jpegimages (resized).jpeg
#18 4 years ago

Right, I mean remember when you got that SOF from me several years ago with the (unbeknownst to me at the time) hashed apart board weren't we able to work it out without making a "veiled" Pinside thread about it? To be fair, I still wish I had dealt with the person who sold it to me in a more civil manner because I sure did let them have an earful.. we live and learn, hopefully.

Quoted from Brijam:

I'd have to hear all sides of the story to have an opinion about what went down, I also found it a little hard to follow the story.

#19 4 years ago

What's even more confounding is that the person who posted this topic is also named Jay

Quoted from zacaj:Sounds like you told Joe you'd be interested, if Jay "doesn't work out." Joe then sells it to you, so presumably Jay backed out, as far as you're concerned. Seems like if Jay is mad, that's Joe's fault...
Trying to offer more to incentivize Joe when he already had a deal with Jay is a bit mean though.

#20 4 years ago

Can I get a show of thumbs up from Pinsiders who are reading this thread that live in the Pacific NW area?

#21 4 years ago

I think, Joe, Jason and Jay have a problem. This problem should not concern you.

#22 4 years ago

I would suggest, when making up fake names don't use names with the same first letter. A bit confusing to follow. I would say "Joe", selling the machine after he has made a deal with someone is slightly to blame although I don't know how long he was holding it for the buyer. I would also say it is in bad taste offering more money for a machine that a deal has been made for. That being said it's just pinball, move on to the next hunt.

#23 4 years ago

Sort of hard to follow what's happening here, but it sounds like (with only your side of the story) you were willing to do what potential buyer #1 wasn't and actually show up with cash and buy the game. I don't see any issue unless potential buyer #1 had maybe given a deposit or had already made arrangements to pick up the game. Assuming potential buyer #1 had their fair shot at it and waited too long then have at it. Hard to make a judgement with half of the information, but if that's true then I wouldn't lose sleep over it and I definitely wouldn't be compensating someone for sleeping on a deal.

#24 4 years ago

Sounds like "Jay" wasn't fully committed to buying the machine. How long is "Joe" expected to hold it for him??? Is "Jay" currently low on cash? For whatever reason he couldn't complete the deal. Sounds like he had one last chance to move on it and didn't. Machine is fair game at that point.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from KHL:

Secondly, the supposed context of the post itself makes you look like an underhanded opportunist;

Nice ankle biting.

Dude expressed interest in a machine.
Was told it was spoken for and left it up to the owner to hash out.
Owner calls and offers the machine to him later.
Dude buys it in cash and does it in the seller's preferred timeframe.

Sounds to me like the first guy was just taking advantage of the seller and all of your 'we're a community' bullshit.
If he was a stand up guy, the seller would have already got his money. Instead he was sitting on a machine for what, Karma Points?

The OP didn't do anything wrong, underhanded or untoward.

#26 4 years ago

TLDR:

-OP is interested in a game that is C/S to buyer 1

-Buyer 1 is slow to move on game so seller sells game to op

-Buyer 1 is mad.

-OP feels bad and wants to make ammends and determine if he is in the wrong and makes long verbose post.

For the record, IMO - if you can't close on a deal or didn't provide a deposit on the game its your own fault you lost on it. I think op did nothing wrong.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from KHL:

if you know the other potential buyer you could have easily reached out to them first and said "hey bro, you gonna make a move and if not mind if I scoop it?"

Snooze you lose. First dude was a dick for thinking he could call dibs on something and store it for free at sellers place until he felt like doing the deal. Seller was obviously not too cool with that seeing that he sold it.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

With Illinois' oppressive taxes, don't be surprised if Terry pulls up stakes and relocates his operation....

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from KHL:

Communicating in a direct and honest manner between the parties directly involved would be the best way to resolve this, posting the pix of your snagged booty is also suspect... just why?! It's all in very bad form IMHO.

Like everyone else I couldn’t totally follow OP’s story, but if he’s telling the truth, it sounds like there was communication “between the parties directly involved,” in that OP (the buyer) talked to the owner of the machine and bought it from him. OP heard third-hand there might have been a pre-existing arrangement, but he acknowledged that in his communication with the owner and did not ask the owner to violate an existing deal.

So where’s the beef?

#30 4 years ago

Sorry if story was confusing. Tried to make it easier. Thanks for the input.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

With Illinois' oppressive taxes, don't be surprised if Terry pulls up stakes and relocates his operation....

We will welcome him with open arms & the drink of his choice down here in sunny Florida

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballGurus:

Sorry if story was confusing. Tried to make it easier. Thanks for the input.

Man, you didn't do a damn thing wrong. Joe the seller had a machine you were interested in. Joe the seller had a buyer by the name of George that never left a deposit, just good intentions. I am going to guess Joe sent George a message that said shit or get off the pot once he found another buyer in you and George did not respond. So guess what? Cash beat out good intentions.

The ONLY person who could be at ANY fault is if Joe the Seller had specific terms with George the buyer and reneged on the original deal. Otherwise it looks like tuff shit for George and whoever the internet watchdog that posted above is up there keeping the good deal faith in the upper NW can pound sand. What the hell are you supposed to do? Call every person in the NW who may have a deal on a machine and get permission? Geez!

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from KHL:

To those of us who've been at it more than a few years I assume that we all know exactly who you are referring to (a FB msg this AM to a friend revealed this to be the case). I find your post unfortunate in several different respects: firstly, the assumption that it's "anonymous" (and or you are actually shit posting to jab at folks on purpose but let's go ahead and give you the benefit of the doubt that you aren't an asshole). Secondly, the supposed context of the post itself makes you look like an underhanded opportunist; if you know the other potential buyer you could have easily reached out to them first and said "hey bro, you gonna make a move and if not mind if I scoop it?" Thirdly, it's a really small world and if you believe in Karma then expect that you'll be on the other end of a situation like this (we all have been!) and how would that feel?

Really? The seller made all the choices here. Go after him, you can represent "George".

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from KHL:

Right, I mean remember when you got that SOF from me several years ago with the (unbeknownst to me at the time) hashed apart board weren't we able to work it out without making a "veiled" Pinside thread about it? To be fair, I still wish I had dealt with the person who sold it to me in a more civil manner because I sure did let them have an earful.. we live and learn, hopefully.

Oh man I totally remember that. I also remember you being a stand up guy about the whole thing, and picking up a replacement board. I'm still learning, that's for sure. We ought to get a beer sometime, I still have that Lightning you sold me a while back!

#35 4 years ago

Guys got a buddy who has a buddy who said his buddy would buy his buddy a game but his other buddy swooped in before his buddy's buddy could buy it and now the buddy is mad at the other buddy for buying his buddy's game

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from jahbarron:

Guys got a buddy who has a buddy who said his buddy would buy his buddy a game but his other buddy swooped in before his buddy's buddy could buy it and now the buddy is mad at the other buddy for buying his buddy's game

This should be copy/pasted as a TLDR on the first post.

#37 4 years ago

The guy who called dibs should be mad at the seller, not at you. And in first place be mad at himself for calling dibs and not making a real sales offer and following up. It's possible they're good friends and done a lot of deals in the past, and therefor he thought he had more rights. But the seller made the decision to sell, OP didn't force him.

This is something I wondered myself - do other collectors also experience that visitors call dibs on a certain machine ?

I recently learned that a close friend had been very mad / disappointed when I sold a machine many years ago that (in his words) I knew he really wanted.
Whilst I knew that, he has a lot of games on his wanted list, and at that time I didn't think of selling it to him directly but put out an ad as I needed the cash most and that friend had already gotten some good deals from me in the past so I expected that he'd want a better price..
(my fault maybe for being friends with too many people and giving good deals for people I like - always someone will be disappointed)

On another machine I have at least 4 people call dibs over the years.
People who visit to play just say something like: hey that's a great game, let me know if you ever sell it.
I don't go further into this - I don't say: ok I will, or : ok: sold.

Do other collectors have this too ? People who call dibs when they visit you ?
And do they really expect you to remember this (even after many years) ?? Did you have people get mad for it ?

And people who call dibs - do you do this only with pinball machines or also with other things when visiting friends ?
- Hey that's a nice painting there on the wall, let me know if you don't want it anymore.
- Hey you have a sweet girlfriend, let me know when you break up with her.
Where does it end ?

#38 4 years ago

Dibs are for chumps. I deliberately never sell anything to anybody I know because you become the permanent warranty support and complaint department.

Even if a friend offered more, don’t do it. That’s how you keep friends. And a true friend never calls dibs, they go out and get their own

#39 4 years ago

I'm calling dibs on everything for sale on Pinside as of today.

After all, we're all a tight knit group of collectors and y'all should check with me before you buy in case I also want it.

#40 4 years ago

Sounds like drama on the playground.

#41 4 years ago

When it's refurbished, are you gonna put that EBD on the floor of one of your arcade locations in Salem?
It would be cool to play an EBD in the wild again.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from slicknick13:

I'm calling dibs on everything for sale on Pinside as of today.
After all, we're all a tight knit group of collectors and y'all should check with me before you buy in case I also want it.

Can I have your phone number? I want to follow up on your dibs, but I need permission first.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from Humph:

When it's refurbished, are you gonna put that EBD on the floor of one of your arcade locations in Salem?
It would be cool to play an EBD in the wild again.

It's an LE , it belongs in the wild.

#44 4 years ago

There’s more characters in this story than a soap opera. My feeble attention span can’t follow.

#45 4 years ago

LOL, you are obviously hardcore and very Los Angeles to the core of your being.

Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Dibs are for chumps. I deliberately never sell anything to anybody I know because you become the permanent warranty support and complaint department.
Even if a friend offered more, don’t do it. That’s how you keep friends. And a true friend never calls dibs, they go out and get their own

#46 4 years ago

That's not the whole story, talked to the person who this guy swooped on (he fails to mentions he offered an extra 200.00 to get that EBD LE). Of course he forgot that detail, nice story, bro.

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from KHL:

That's not the whole story, talked to the person who this guy swooped on (he fails to mentions he offered an extra 200.00 to get that EBD LE). Of course he forgot that detail, nice story, bro.

Actually, he didn't. He mentioned that he told the owner he might even be able to do better with his offer.

Whoever is bitching in your ear was taking advantage of the owner by not completing the deal.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from KHL:

What percentage blame do you put on the owner vs PinballGurus for your friend missing out on the EBD? It’s got to be 99% on the owner, since he’s the only one who (potentially) went back on his word here. It’s hard to tell from @Pinballgurus‘s first post who he was talking/texting with when various statements were made, but looks like he said he’d take the game (for more $) if the other guy didn’t buy it, owner contacted him next day and said come get it. If I were PinballGurus I’d have taken that as confirmation the other guy either didn’t want it, or the owner didn’t feel he’d made a commitment to sell to someone else.

All seems pretty harmless to me. But it does lead me to wonder, are there always four or five parties involved in Oregon pinball sales? Must be exhausting.

#49 4 years ago

This is the most jealousy & drama that an EBDLE has ever garnered.

#50 4 years ago

Pick up this $2500 EBD and offer it to Jay for $3500. Jay can the forgive you and you can buy a new EBD playfield

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/91061

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-life-in-oregon-wtf-how-say-you and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.