(Topic ID: 96272)

Pinball Life brushed aluminum flipper bats (Metal vs Plastic)

By Toasterdog

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Just wondering what your thoughts are on these other then, why? I like how they look, since they are brushed and match the standard brushed trim on W/B pins.

I only actually have them installed on my Indy 500 currently and don't know if this is more of a result of the game just playing fast as crap, like a modern Stern or the added weight of the flipper bats. The game feels more downhill then my other pins (flippers are aligned properly and pitch is the same as my other pins)

Standard bats 1 oz, these metal bats weigh 1.7 oz. I imagine it would put a little more stress on the linkage and bushings, but they almost play heavy. I want to like them, actually have quite a few of them and think they look good.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3145

Just wondering if anyone installed them and removed them because they didn't like the way they felt or played. Thanks

#2 9 years ago

Plastic flippers are without doubt limp compared to a metal one. Most flipper bats that I have replaced are broken internally making them even more limp. The weight of the flipper is meaningless compared to hitting the ball and overcoming its inertia.

I need to try some of those flippers. The stiffer the flipper the more accurate it is too.

#3 9 years ago

I've played my friend's T2 and Getaway with these installed and they felt fine to me. I was able to make all shots and do things I normally would with regular flipper bats like drop or live catches. Also what do you mean by downhill and when was the last time you rebuilt your flippers and checked your nylon flipper bushing in your game?

#4 9 years ago

The weight of the flipper bat isn't meaningless when it comes to the speed of returning the flipper back down. The return spring will be able to reset a lighter flipper faster than a heavier one. Giving you a more responsive flipper, similarly to the way a race car suspension works best when it has the lightest unsprung mass. Ball speed/control would be more a factor of coil strength and flipper rubber?

#5 9 years ago

I was just imagining where we would be if pinball was as popular as golf is. Would there be revolutions in flipper designs with different materials and weight distributions as they have with golf clubs... Titanium flipper bats with adjustable weights?

#6 9 years ago

I have not rebuilt them, since I didn't have the right bushings. They just feel different for lack of a better description. I absolutely need to replace the bushings since there is a bit of play, but was surprised to see they weighed almost double the weight of a plastic bat.

I now have everything I need to completely rebuild all 3, so I should probably do that and see how they are. By the way, I play fine (not making excuses, lol)

#7 9 years ago

Carbon Fiber Flipper bats are the next logical step.

Weight is an issue when the velocity is lowered.

The speed of the flipper bats is lowered with the additional weight of the metal flippers.

Same principle with wood vs aluminum baseball bats.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from Don1:

The weight of the flipper bat isn't meaningless when it comes to the speed of returning the flipper back down. The return spring will be able to reset a lighter flipper faster than a heavier one. Giving you a more responsive flipper, similarly to the way a race car suspension works best when it has the lightest unsprung mass. Ball speed/control would be more a factor of coil strength and flipper rubber?

Not quit the same thing because the weight is going radially around the shaft and most of the weight is down near the fat end at the shaft where it takes less energy to move. I would be surprised if there is an appreciably slower return speed. It would be minutely slower at best.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from Eddie:

Carbon Fiber Flipper bats are the next logical step.
    Weight is an issue when the velocity is lowered.
    The speed of the flipper bats is lowered with the additional weight of the metal flippers.
    Same principle with wood vs aluminum baseball bats.

Carbon would flex as much as plastic.

7 months later
    #11 9 years ago

Thinking about buying some...Was happy to see this thread. Think i may pull and give them a try.

Quoted from John_I:

Carbon would flex as much as plastic.

Not true at all. If constructed correctly, they would have no flex. But to make them strong enough, they would probably weigh as much as the plastic ones.

3 years later
    #12 5 years ago

resurrecting this thread because I am curious about these & would perhaps like to try them on safe cracker ....... can anyone weigh in on how they worked out long term & the difference in performance ?

#13 5 years ago

This product specifically? Might be a little problematic as Safe Cracker used a one-of-a-kind flipper bat design that is shorter than the standard length.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gornkleschnitzer:

This product specifically? Might be a little problematic as Safe Cracker used a one-of-a-kind flipper bat design that is shorter than the standard length.

PBL specifically lists one for safe cracker

#16 5 years ago

Well, apparently "do your research before posting" is a skill I need to work on. Sorry.

#17 5 years ago

No worries.. I did just notice though that the 3rd flipper on SC looks like it is unique unto itself ... smaller & shaped differently than the other 2 .... so that's an issue

#18 5 years ago

From photos I can see, it looks like just a standard 2" mini-flipper as used in lots of B/W games in the 90s. Thicker tip than the mini-flippers that Stern uses. Basically it's what you'd get if you took a standard flipper and chopped off an inch. Not sure how to acquire.

#19 5 years ago

alright so I went ahead & pulled the trigger on a standard size pair of these & tried them out on my newly acquired Time Machine ... they only stayed in there for about an hour , just enough time & games played for me to decide that these are just not for me .... that said I am offering these up for 1/2 the purchase price if anyone else is interested $12.00 for the pair // barely used

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-life-brushed-aluminum-flipper-bats-metal-vs-plastic?hl=gornkleschnitzer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.