Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by vdojaq
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

770eb33720063bd3b79286af077d2d9840e47ffb (resized).jpg
    There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

In 2003 my wife and I started Pinball Life. By 2004 we had built the business up enough that a few people wanted to buy pinball parts from us while they were in town for Expo since we were located only about 15 minutes from the old Ramada location. Back in those days it was common for pinball parts companies to open their doors during this time; Mazco (R.I.P.) and Wico (R.I.P.) had been doing it for years. They would drag some items out of their warehouses and put them on tables in the front offices. We felt this was a rather cold and impersonal way of doing things, so we decided to have a few snacks and beverages available, along with our personal pinball machines on free play.

By 2008 we had outgrown our basement in the city and moved out to the suburbs (Huntley). We were now located an hour from Expo so we felt we should up the ante a bit and offer a better selection of food and beverages.

In 2010 we moved to what we call the small warehouse. We had a little more room than we did at the Huntley house, so we expanded our game selection a bit and started holding our 1-ball tournament, hoping this would be another reason/reward for making the trip out.
    In 2013 we purchased the adjacent *large* warehouse and connected them. This gave of lots more room than we actually needed at the time, so we decided we could once again up the stakes and throw an even bigger party with 50+ pinball machines on free play as well as a full complement of food and alcoholic beverages. This is the year our open house went from being an Open House to a Party. In 2014 and 2015 we tried to keep making the party better and better by adding more and more elements such as the VIP lounge, Pinball Olympics attractions, custom lighting, tournaments, special guests, etc.

2015 saw us at a breaking point. 2 people went to the hospital with injuries. The place was so over crowded that some people simply did not have a good time. Alcohol consumption was at an all-time high as well. This was a major concern. Nothing bad happened to anyone on the way back to Expo, but I feel like we got away with something that day and we were really pressing our luck.

Clearing out the warehouse to accommodate 500 people has become a bigger and bigger issue as the years go by as we continue to fill up our space. This year I don’t think we could clear it out that much even if we tried.

Because of the liability issues, overcrowding, and lack of space, we have made the difficult decision to not have the full blown Explosion party this year. It will be a tamer, modified version that will more closely resemble our open houses of years past (pre-2013).
    We will be open on the Thursday and Friday from 10am to 4pm during Expo weekend for people to come in and buy parts or pick up pre-orders (still highly recommended). We have 30 or so games here and they will be on for people to enjoy. We will have non-alcoholic beverages available, but no alcohol. We will also have some light snacks available.

I know this sucks for many, but I feel like we are too at risk during this party as of late, and it only takes one tragedy to put us out of business forever.

Thanks for listening and understanding.

Terry.

#2 7 years ago

Terry, I know this was a hard decision to make, but as a retired LEO, I for one applaud you for doing the "responsible" thing. There isn't enough of that today.....most would press their luck until something happened. I have always enjoyed coming out to pick up orders, and I will definitely be there one of those days to take part in the celebration.

I am fairly new to the hobby compared to most here on the forum, but some of the first people to welcome me to the hobby and treat me like a valued customer were the folks at Pinball Life. Terry runs a great show, and always has time to stop and chat. He recently helped me out of a bad jam when my powder-coater accidentally dissolved part of a piece I was working on. I thought it might be a crap shoot, but he had the part I needed, and worked with me to make sure we had the right version. Good people, and they get every bit of business I can throw their way. Look forward to seeing you on Expo week.

#3 7 years ago

Although saddening, completely understandable. Last year was my 1st and I had the greatest time ! Highlight of the weekend, for sure. Thank you again to you both for throwing such a spectacular party...the pins, the delicious food, the free beer....man it doesn't get any better than that. THANK YOU !

#4 7 years ago

Smart decision. Anytime you introduce booze to a large crowd in your business space, the potential risk for liability grows exponentially. That said, who doesn't like to drink a bunch of brews and play some pinball! Anyway, thanks for doing the party. I got to enjoy the last three years of your parties and really the best part to me was shootin' the sh** with other pinballers while picking up huge orders of stuff all at once that I pre-ordered.(Saved on shipping too!)
    So I'll still be coming to pick up my weird order of stuff and shoot the sh**! Good times!

#5 7 years ago

You will get ZERO argument from this customer and fan of pinball life. As always, when you give back, there are always a few that will take more than their fair share. It ruins it for all, but the risk(for Pinball Life) is no longer worth the reward. It was obvious and this decision does not surprise me, nor upset me at all. It shouldn't upset anyone.

#6 7 years ago

Very wise and mature decision. I ponder the liability issues even on a small scale when at someone's home for a pinball night and people are drinking... what happens under a "worst-case-scenario" and who is responsible? And that is a small thing, not a big "event".

I shudder to read that you felt you really pushed your luck last year... that is a heck of a worry to carry. Much love, Terry.

#7 7 years ago

I was petrified you were closing your doors....I was about to order 1 of everything

#8 7 years ago

Hi Terry,

I just want to give a BIG THANK YOU for doing these get together in the past. I know it took a lot of work and preparation to pull these parties off and clean up the after party mess. I always had a great time meeting and greeting everyone at them, even though there were crowds and crowds of pinball enthusiasts there. I will still stop by your place this year during Expo and pre-order the parts that I need, so it will make it easier for you and Margret to have everything ready to go.

As always thank you for your support starting and running Pinball Life for the pinball community,

Steve
    Pinball Refinery

#9 7 years ago

Pinballlife rules

#10 7 years ago

Kind of shit that you had to worry about people being trashed and driving back to expo. Come on people. Don't be a moron, if you want to injure yourself find a different way, your choice could destroy so many lives in the blink of an eye all because you were too cheap to get a cab, or the classic line of "nah I am alright enough to drive".

#11 7 years ago

Sounds like a great decision to me as well. Even though we really enjoyed coming out to the party the last few years it really was jam packed. I love coming out to buy parts and wouldn't want anything bad to happen to the business. Since I first really started collecting machines 5 years ago, this has been my go to for everything. Im sure as per usual my dad and I will stop by for a few games and to buy some more stuff. The first time we came by before expo was before the warehouse expansion and that was enjoyable too.

Thanks!
    Andrew

#12 7 years ago

Thank you for all you do Terry.

I've been to your house party, and then business party, and always had a great time.

I stopped by last year, and was amazed at the crowd. I thought it was a disaster waiting to happen. I am glad it didn't, and you can scale it back to manageable fun for everyone.

LTG : )

#13 7 years ago

I would also like to add, that you don't have to have tons of food and alcohol to have a great time playing pinball and getting together with other pinheads.

Steve
    Pinball Refinery

#14 7 years ago

That many people showing up to see you guys and buy parts in person shows how respected you are in this hobby.
    It sounds like you made the right decision.

#15 7 years ago

Thank you Terry, Margaret and all employees of Pinball Life . Open house was always great.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinballlife:

We will be open on the Thursday and Friday from 10am to 4pm during Expo weekend for people to come in and buy parts or pick up pre-orders (still highly recommended).

Thanks much for staying open. I liked the parties, but last year I was disappointed I couldn't actually *buy* anything. I grabbed a ticket, stayed a few hours.. long enough to realize it'd be next Tuesday before my number was called, and eventually left to beat traffic back to Chicago. I need to stock up on legs and was worried that wasn't going to be doable this year.

Thanks again for doing the parties, and getting us parts!

#17 7 years ago

Hopefully no broken glass this year.......

#18 7 years ago

Terry, you rock. Always have, and always will.

Run your party how you want. We will be just fine.

Pete

#19 7 years ago

Can we just lay the blame on this guy?

770eb33720063bd3b79286af077d2d9840e47ffb (resized).jpg770eb33720063bd3b79286af077d2d9840e47ffb (resized).jpg

#20 7 years ago

Thanks for the great parties of the past! Your decision makes sense.

#21 7 years ago

Terry,

Always glad you open up your place to us to buy parts. I never cared for the crowds. The food was always excellent though.
    Glad you are still allowing us to preorder parts and stop in.
    Thank you very much.

Tom.

#22 7 years ago

I can totally understand what your Saying Terry. I was only there once (2-3 years ago) and it was totally packed beyond belief and I couldn't get on a game even if I wanted too. I did one lap around the room and I was done. I seen a lot of food and beer and kept thinking about the money it must cost to put that on. Not to mention the planning and the liability and I think your smart for cutting it off now before something really major happens. If you don't mind me asking though what happened that sent two people to the hospital?
    As for my own party each year it has grown by leaps and bounds each year as well and at some point it may come to a end for various reasons but on the other hand I'd hate to turn anyone away. I'm not sure scaling it back is the answer for me but if it works for you then run with it and see how it goes.
    Best of luck with whatever you decide to do and perhaps I'll make it back someday.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

#23 7 years ago

I was there last year, was a really cool party you guys put on, it was a bit to packed for me but still had fun, you restocked the food and beer as fast as it was going. I can totally understand your decision.

#24 7 years ago

Who were the two lightweights that can't handle their alcohol?

#25 7 years ago

Thanks for sharing Terry!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#26 7 years ago

I have never been to one of their "parties" but I can say I have ordered several times and their prices are the best.

#27 7 years ago

I always order from Pillball Life if they stock what I need and usually they do.

Wish I was closer!

#28 7 years ago

thanks for opening your doors yet again to us. looking forward to swinging by and spending more money and chatting with you and the gang.

tell me that we can still yell "LIONMAN!" through the megaphone (please

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Very wise and mature decision. I ponder the liability issues even on a small scale when at someone's home for a pinball night and people are drinking... what happens under a "worst-case-scenario" and who is responsible? And that is a small thing, not a big "event".
    I shudder to read that you felt you really pushed your luck last year... that is a heck of a worry to carry. Much love, Terry.

Overcrowded is an big issue even with out Alcohol.

Just renumber the trampling death of a Long Island security worker at a Black Friday sale. Or The Station nightclub fire.

In a stampede you can't stop and can't look down. Also if there is a fire in a small place with a lot of people it can be a rush to get out.

#30 7 years ago

Terry and Margeret, I was honoured to be at the Pinballlife party last year, and it was the highlight of our 4 week trip. All the kiwis that I bought with me say the same thing. Highlight of the Expo weekend, for sure.

The way it was going though, you'd need another warehouse the same size again, and 20 more staff to run it! So I think you've made the right decision, for your own sanity anyway ...

Thanks again for having us last year.

Dave.

#31 7 years ago

I think this is smart, hope it works out well for you and the company you deserve it.

#32 7 years ago

Now I can say that my biggest regret since getting involved in this hobby is to not have attended the PBL Expo party during its Studio 54 days!

In all seriousness I feel very fortunate to have a quality company owned and operated by quality people within a 25 minute drive time from my home. Sometimes the highlight of my week is driving to PBL to pick up parts. Thanks for everything Terry.

#33 7 years ago

PBL 4 Eva!!!

Totally understand. A wise decision.

#34 7 years ago

Terry and Margret - Thanks so much for the great party the last two years (only time I have been!). Hope to make it back again even if it is scaled down. Keep up the great work!

#35 7 years ago

I've always been amazed you served alcohol, just too much liability there. Glad you're still doing it, maybe splitting it up in 2 days will also reduce the crowds. You still looking to add games?

#36 7 years ago

Last year was my first Expo and Pinball Life party. Your party was amazing. If something like this could be controlled and manageable in similar fashion it would be one of the highlights of the year.

Completely understand regarding the issues mentioned. Thanks for all that you do.

#37 7 years ago

Glad I made it two of the last three years. Smart move to tame it down. I will continue to spend as much of my pinball parts money with you as possible. Thanks.

#38 7 years ago

Can you have a cardboard cutout of bangerjay available that says "LIONMAN!" when you push the button?

#39 7 years ago

I actually brought my one-year-old to last year's party. He had a great time.

#40 7 years ago

My dad and I have attended multiple pinball life open houses, and we have always had fun. Thank you so much for opening your doors to the pinball community!

#41 7 years ago

Pinball Life Explosion was like an ultimate underground rock concert for pinball. Glad I bought an event shirt and pinball parts to support Terry and company for all their efforts. Thank you.

#42 7 years ago

Thanks for everything you and Margaret have done and still do. Nothing but respect and appreciation for you both. Keep on keepin' on.

1 week later
    #43 7 years ago

It's all good, and we will still be looking forward to the visit, and the specials!

#44 7 years ago

I support this decision; but in absentee as I won't be going to Chicago until certain show's leadership changes.
    I wish you luck for this and all future events.

#45 7 years ago

Everyone is sick and tired of the half assed way the Expo has been run lately. I wont be donating time, money, and multiple pins myself again unless they start listening to reasonable feedback (and ive tried having two conv. with the person who runs it, and was not received in a friendly way). Collect the keys so we can fix no sound and stuck balls. Have a tech fixing freeplay machines like you advertise and never do (mine hve broken down during the show and i had no help fixing any, 3 yrs in a row). Require sold pins to wait until Sunday to remove so people who pay for saturday arent jipped. Dont close down all eve on the prime family night for private awards that dont end on time. I have countless examples from peeps who are not going anymore, or not donating, for these very reasons. Dozens.

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from MalikyeMoon:

I have countless examples from peeps who are not going anymore, or not donating, for these very reasons. Dozens.

I only go to Expo for 2 reasons:
    * See the latest release by whichever pinball company (before it shows up in public locations, or perhaps never because it's rare)
    * See the homebrew pinball projects

1. I don't pay to go to any of the talks, I'm fine with catching up on news through pinballnews.com (but would happily pay a fee to listen to mp3 recordings, or better yet video). I don't care if pacek uploaded them to youtube and charged me $1 per video.
    2. It used to be about chatting with local friends, but since attendance is down that's not so true anymore
    3. I care little about playing past pinballs, at least if that's the only reason to go, unless there happens to be something rare I've yet to play

Number 3 above: I think this is most hobbyists point of view. Unfortunately, an expo can't be profitable (or break even) by collectors alone. Most of the general public come to just play pinball for a few hours for $20. If the number of pins keep going down every year, the average person is going to think the show is dying and maybe doesn't bother coming anymore.

#47 7 years ago

I take it that none of you three will help Mike with his request for a Gottlieb System 3 cabinet:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-needed-for-pinball-expo#post-3341102

Will a Predator playfield fit in this cabinet?

#48 7 years ago

It's my first year to Chicago Expo. I buy lots from Pinball Life - great stuff when you need it. Would love to make a side trip there. How does one get on the smaller invite list? Will you have a vender booth at expo too?

#49 7 years ago

Happy I got a chance to stop by last year, even happier to have a more mellow event this year. Thank you. I'll have my preorder ready.

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I take it that none of you three will help Mike with his request for a Gottlieb System 3 cabinet:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-needed-for-pinball-expo#post-3341102
    Will a Predator playfield fit in this cabinet?

If I had to guess, the cab he wants is for this playfield: https://missionpinball.com/blog/2016/02/resurrecting-gottliebs-brooks-dunn/

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-life-annual-open-house-a-brief-history-and-the-path-forward?hl=rustylizard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.