(Topic ID: 105251)

Pinball LED bulb manufacturers. Pls make a GI bulb

By Winball_Pizard

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

OpMax.JPG
    1SMD.JPG
    TwinFrost-270.JPG
    TwinClear.JPG
    CTretro.JPG
    foil.jpg
    20140520_204903.jpg
    20140930_024823.jpg
    20141002_174600.jpg
    IMG_1773.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

I'm a true fan of LED's. I've put them in every game I've owned and I think its a fun and creative way to personalize your game. The problem I'm having is no one makes a good GI bulb. If you look at the retailer websites (cointaker, cometpb etc) they recommend the biggest brightest bulbs for GI. Generally smaller bulbs are discouraged for GI use because they create hot spots and don't throw enough light to the sides. The problem is the super bright bulbs end up looking like this.

https://forum-s3.pinside.com/201311/1218577/148515-i.jpg

The bulb is giving out an impressive, perhaps to impressive, amount of light to the sides which is exactly what I want in a GI bulb. Its also giving out the same amount of light directly behind the plastic creating a hot spot. Actually, the whole plastic is a hot spot!

So my question to LED bulb manufacturers, is it possible to make a GI bulb that creates lower intensity diffused light directly above the bulb while throwing out enough light to the sides to illuminate a game placed in low ambient lighting conditions? To me this would be the perfect GI LED bulb since you would not blow out the playfield plastic artwork or your cornea's in the process.

My question to modder's and LED lovers, has anyone taken something as bright as the optix maximus bulbs and sanded or painted the bulb to achieve the same effect described above?

#2 9 years ago

I always like the 5 smd which works great for side lighting and top lighting and put a frosted cap on top of it which has always worked well for me and is plenty brite but im sure u can make a cap or something for the opmax to dim top light and keep the sides bright

#3 9 years ago

Perhaps this may help.
    Have you tried an Op-Max yourself?

Pictures are so hard to judge by. I think you might be surprised.

Below that are Twin 2835....what is used in TWD, Star Trek. Great Bulb, and the hobby is lucky
    to have Chris and Melissa, with Stern, to bring this to market.

This bulb comes Clear (can spot, depending on game art), Frosted....no hot spots there...and Fluted...
    (can spot, depending on game art)

In addition, every game has different color and screened thickness, meaning the same bulb will perform differently in different games.

Most all Vendors offer several brightness levels to choose from, with everyone finding what they like best.

I think we have 12 choices of brightness now....I would hope that would cover all needs....

But, if you have one in mind, or someone else does, I would hope all LED vendors would love to hear
    what that might be.

Art

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

I always like the 5 smd which works great for side lighting and top lighting and put a frosted cap on top of it which has always worked well for me and is plenty brite but im sure u can make a cap or something for the opmax to dim top light and keep the sides bright

Nice idea...just requires a new mold and around 10K-15K...happy to make...need money.
    Super Flux comes pretty close....

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

So my question to LED bulb manufacturers, is it possible to make a GI bulb that creates lower intensity diffused light directly above the bulb while throwing out enough light to the sides to illuminate a game placed in low ambient lighting conditions?

Frosted bulbs work perfectly for me. Have you tried them?

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from sed6:

+1, I use frosted almost everywhere, though inserts are hit and miss. Personally I tend toward bulbs that have a luminescence closer to that of the incandescent bulbs, so the brightest bulb you will see in my machines is 1 SMD or 2 mini-smd, and I use a lot of single LEDs in the inserts (which is equivalent to an incandescent). Spotlighting becomes a bigger issue the brighter the bulb.

#7 9 years ago

Frosted are terrible for GI.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Perhaps this may help.

No I haven't and I know exactly what you are talking about. I have the 3-4 year old dull frosted single led cointakers in my Barracora backglass. I took this with a Canon t3i and couldn't get rid of the hot spots no matter what I tried. In person you can't tell there are any hot spots.

https://img-s.pinside.com/archive/d1/original/d14fb4bb67be3f59e2717e9f581fe945015639ab.jpg

This a pic with the same camera also taken in the dark. This is the current GI and they are CT Retro cool whites.

https://forum-s3.pinside.com/201301/586162/64388-i.jpg

You don't really see much of a hotspot at all in the plastics but, you also don't see a lot of light on the playfield. The Op-Max BSD pic has a TON of light on the PF and surrounding areas but, the sling plastics are non existent which makes me think they have to be REALLY bright in every direction.

I'm the UV BSD guy that mailed you earlier. I think I will take you up on your suggestion and get a few Op-Max to experiment with my order if that UV panel isn't to big. I'd be happy to take pics and share the results of both.

Quoted from sed6:

I agree and I use frosted now but, I play with at least some ambient light on in my garage. My games look fine but, in the dark there isn't really enough light from the GI. At least not as much light as I would like and not as much as normal incandescent bulbs would give.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I can say I havent, but im gonna very cool

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from sed6:

frosted are what i mostly go with. either that or flex-heads angled in such a way that they aren't visible to the eye.

IMG_1773.jpgIMG_1773.jpg

under the slings and inlanes are flex-heads pointed at the playfield, away from the player. the rest are frosted.

#11 9 years ago

Thanks for the pics, Winball_Pizard, I understand what you are saying now, from your perspective. Our site will address this better shortly, it is a matter of brightness vs throw of light. It is why I have soo much to choose from.
    When I haul around a suitcase of a bit of everything, and help some of the guys do a game.
    I think I have the right bulb in my hand the first time for a job, but it may be the 5th, or the 9th try until the owner is happy, as well as myself.
    While the Op Max main feature is over 300 degrees of diffused light throw, and converts current to DC, for reduced strobing, sometimes its too much.
    A 5 SMD is better, or our fluted dome. I even self diffuse a 2 SMD faceted for another great choice.
    Even or 4+4 8 SMD is a neat one.

Sometimes, because of the artwork, bulbs dont light the area correctly.

Thats where products like a Flex SMD can be angled, or positioned backwards to bounce the light, especially useful in a backbox.

Also of great use, is our 6.3V Strips With up to 7 SMD, they can light as they are, our you can add a diffusion layer, and control the light the way you want.

Ultimately, its your taste, and your eyes, but I think all the choices are there.

Other Vendors, like PBL and CT carry different products too.

I wish there was always one perfect answer for every game, but I find

it fun doing this.... finding whats right for me.

Ill be sure you get a sample of some of these different choices, and hope you enjoy!

But back to your thread......please do suggest away, guys...I am always looking for good ideas,
    and several products have come from threads like this and ideas...so, I am grateful.

#12 9 years ago

I wish I could take pictures like you Pez....That game looks Awesome!

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

frosted are what i mostly go with. either that or flex-heads angled in such a way that they aren't visible to the eye.

under the slings and inlanes are flex-heads pointed at the playfield, away from the player. the rest are frosted.

That's an amazing pic! Was this just sitting in your game room as is or did you setup photography lights for this pic? Maybe I can use the flex SMD's to solve my lack of PF lighting and still keep my plastics illuminated with frosted bubls.

#14 9 years ago

I agree and I use frosted now but, I play with at least some ambient light on in my garage. My games look fine but, in the dark there isn't really enough light from the GI. At least not as much light as I would like and not as much as normal incandescent bulbs would give.

i would suggest flooding your GIs with 4SMDs. as long as they arent direct bang line of sight. the game will really pop.

its just a matter of experimenting. and that might take a while to find the right setup your happy with.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from ledge:

i would suggest flooding your GIs with 4SMDs. as long as they arent direct bang line of sight. the game will really pop.
    its just a matter of experimenting. and that might take a while to find the right setup your happy with.

Like these? http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2561

I've experimented with those particular 4 SMD in GI and they were way to bright for me. I have one green one in my BSD in the castle lock insert under the right ramp and its perfect because you usually can't see that insert ever.

#16 9 years ago

Like these? http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2561
    I've experimented with those particular 4 SMD in GI and they were way to bright for me. I have one green one in my BSD in the castle lock insert under the right ramp and its perfect because you usually can't see that insert ever.

yes. and Art carries them as well. and yeah they are super bright. like i said, they wont suit
    everyones tastes. trying a few combinations/different types of bulb is the best way to get an idea of what you like/prefer...

#17 9 years ago

Heres a few quick pics from my tablet of bsd with 5 smd in blue and the rest are frosted it throws the light great and is just the right amount of light .I play in complete darkness also and its fine I especially like bsd video mode where just the dmd is on . Really is creepy in a old house with nothing else on

20140930_024823.jpg20140930_024823.jpg20141002_174600.jpg20141002_174600.jpg

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from ledge:

yes. and Art carries them as well. and yeah they are super bright. like i said, they wont suit
    everyones tastes. trying a few combinations/different types of bulb is the best way to get an idea of what you like/prefer...

I personally dont care for the 4smd as they don't throw the light well in the gi and I did a bunch of tests tonightin inserts and the 1 smd were actually brighter than the 4 at least in red

#19 9 years ago

I still don't understand why people used colored LEDs in the GI. The game turns into one giant monotone colored blob completely washing out the artwork. You can get the same results by installing a colored flood light over the top of the game...you could probably see better as well.

I mean.. how the hell do you see the ball in the middle of the BSD playfield?

#20 9 years ago

This is a Big Guns with Op-Max in the GI. As you can see it does not overwhelm the sling area with light. Big Guns is a very dim game with stock GI and the Op-Max bulb from Art was the perfect bulb for this application.

20140520_204903.jpg20140520_204903.jpg

#21 9 years ago

So my question to LED bulb manufacturers, is it possible to make a GI bulb that creates lower intensity diffused light directly above the bulb while throwing out enough light to the sides to illuminate a game placed in low ambient lighting conditions? To me this would be the perfect GI LED bulb since you would not blow out the playfield plastic artwork or your cornea's in the process.

Try the pinball life ablaze ghostbuster premium frosted in warm white. They are perfect for what you describe, you can also put them in a backbox without getting those "hot spots". Plus they are rectified & filtered so no flicker at all or strobe effect with the ball. http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3211

#22 9 years ago

That's an amazing pic! Was this just sitting in your game room as is or did you setup photography lights for this pic?

haha nah, thats just with my iphone, glass not even off. thanks though!

the game is a somewhat brighter in person.

#23 9 years ago

never, ever ever ever ever trust a picture of lighting. Camera settings -shutter speed, iso, etc (even automatic settings) make them look completely different than reality. I could take 2 pictures of the exact same playfield/lights 10 seconds apart and make one look so dimly lit that you cant see anything, and the other like the surface of the sun.

Personally, I very much like frosted 1 or 2 SMD natural light bulbs from comet for my GI. OPmax is a little bright for me, too much light and the inserts dont pop as well.
    I tried the fluted domes and wasnt as much of a fan due to a hot spot on the top, though I may try again after taking some 800 grit to the top

#24 9 years ago

I've used Cointaker frosted in my GI and I'm a big fan. The warm white looks absolutely dynamite in older machines like Sys 6-9 or sys 11 imo where you don't want that 'tech' look of white LED's.

I've found the PBL frosted to be a tad dim for GI (I think they are 1 SMD instead of 2?), but they have their uses as well.

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from Evan55:

never, ever ever ever ever trust a picture of lighting. Camera settings -shutter speed, iso, etc (even automatic settings) make them look completely different than reality. I could take 2 pictures of the exact same playfield/lights 10 seconds apart and make one look so dimly lit that you cant see anything, and the other like the surface of the sun.

yeah, i dont know anything about photography but it's weird how hard it is to get a photo of a lit up pinball playfield that reflects what it looks like in person. i take like a dozen and pick the closest one.

no matter what i do, ithe GI always looks way more purple in photos than in reality. im sure thats true of bigd1979's dracula, too.

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

I've found the PBL frosted to be a tad dim for GI (I think they are 1 SMD instead of 2?), but they have their uses as well.

Yes only 1 but a 5050 which throws a lot of light!

#27 9 years ago

One of the reasons we dont offer kits....Everyone sees light a bit differently, even color.

.....and pictures are a pain.

Then there is ambient lighting, exact voltage variations in GI from Game to Game, even your height, or the angle you stand, will affect how you see LEDs.
    There may be an LED in a game that blinds you, but not the next person, and we never think of height, angle, and stance.

The point being, is that with all vendors, an assortment of products and brightness is available, and we all have different tastes, and as above.

Setting the baseline GI Lighting choice, is a factor of all of this, then add in the game. Its colors,
    Its printing. And this does not take into account reproduction plastics, which are most often printed thinner, or reproduction trans lights.

If you have only one game, your first game to ever LED, its a small learning curve, but try to see other games, and collect 2 of a few brightness choices, to keep and test, when you do a game.
    I'd recommend 7 choices times 2 (14 total bulbs), so you can do one side of slings, two rails, right and left corner, to see the differences. Around a $12 investment, and worth it.

I dont find I always use the exact same bulb in GI in every game, especially when SMDs can overkill some SS and certainly EMs, But as most are sharing a frosted bulb gives good spread, and a nice fuzzy dome of light. Faceted and Fluted, (yes, the light points can show in some plastics, diffusion is best, and we are working on that) Shine a star burst pattern outward.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Heres a few quick pics from my tablet of bsd with 5 smd in blue and the rest are frosted it throws the light great and is just the right amount of light .I play in complete darkness also and its fine I especially like bsd video mode where just the dmd is on . Really is creepy in a old house with nothing else on

Looking good! I like playing mine in the dark too and I love how video mode is the practically the only thing you can see in the room when it is running!

Quoted from Monster_Bash:

I still don't understand why people used colored LEDs in the GI. The game turns into one giant monotone colored blob completely washing out the artwork. You can get the same results by installing a colored flood light over the top of the game...you could probably see better as well.
    I mean.. how the hell do you see the ball in the middle of the BSD playfield?

Generally I totally agree! All of my games use white for GI. The colors really get washed out on basically any game if you use colored GI. However, blue works wonders in BSD because nearly all of the PF art and plastics are blue. The guy that I think originated the blue mod and called it "Blue Moon" has an excellent BSD with great pics if you check his site/search google.

Quoted from pezpunk:

haha nah, thats just with my iphone, glass not even off. thanks though!
    the game is a somewhat brighter in person.

OK that beyond amazing. I saw the glass was still on but, I figured you had to have used other lights to make it look so friggin good!! You win for the absolute best and most tasteful LED application of all time. It looks to damn good!

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

I personally dont care for the 4smd as they don't throw the light well in the gi and I did a bunch of tests tonightin inserts and the 1 smd were actually brighter than the 4 at least in red

I was comparing PBL 1 smd frosted cool white and 4 smd cool whites when I compared. I put an index card between the two slings and I felt like the 4 smd threw out only slightly more light that the frosted but, the quality of light from the frosted had a much better feel.

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from Crrispy:

Yes only 1 but a 5050 which throws a lot of light!

Maybe it's a placebo effect for me then haha

#31 9 years ago

I applied thin silver mylar to the bottom of the plastic to reflect/block the light that goes straight up. Here is a pic the left side has the silver mylar, the right side doesn't.foil.jpgfoil.jpg

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from Applezz:

I applied thin silver mylar to the bottom of the plastic to reflect/block the light that goes straight up. Here is a pic the left side has the silver mylar, the right side doesn't.

That's a great idea! Since the bottom of the plastic is where the art is screened on, do you think there could be an issue if you or someone else removed the mylar down the road? Maybe spraying something like triple-thick or some sort of clear before sticking the mylar down would keep paint from pulling off the plastic?

#34 9 years ago

You can try using a sling Protector, and diffusing it with a light sanding, too.

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from sed6:

This. The 5050 SMD frosted bulbs seem to work great for a super even light spread. Heck, our clears don't leave much of a hotspot in GI either. In backglasses, depending on the game, they may though.

A lot of our games we put in the 5 SMD tower 6volt bulb for an awesome spread of light. You could use gorilla tape on the top bulb if you wanted a truly side spread. This has been done on a few games to mess around with. Fast and super easily reversible.

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from Evan55:

I tried the fluted domes and wasnt as much of a fan due to a hot spot on the top, though I may try again after taking some 800 grit to the top

This is what I have used, and am very, very happy with. Warm white fluted domes with the tops sanded. Excellent, non-blinding side throw with no hot spots.

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from Applezz:

I applied thin silver mylar to the bottom of the plastic to reflect/block the light that goes straight up. Here is a pic the left side has the silver mylar, the right side doesn't.

foil.jpg 206 KB

If you take some 150 grit and lightly sand the tops of those bulbs it will get rid of the hot spots on your left sling. I did this on a few and was very surprised with the results! It also seemed to generate just a little more light out the sides as if it were reflected back in. Those bulbs are pretty sweet! Perfect upgrade to the factory stern LEDs after you diffuse the tops, and very reasonably priced

#38 9 years ago

If you want LED reliabilty, but keep the look of incandescent lighting, the Cointaker Retro's are very close, just did a Majorettes with them, and you would be hard pressed to tell they were LED's

1 week later
    #39 9 years ago

OK I got some LED pics. The camera was adjusted for the OPMAX first then the rest of the pics were taken. I had originally adjusted my camera on the CT retros but, it wasn't a fair comparison since the OPMAX were blown out and the color was way off. So here we go:

Here's my CT retro blues with clear top. These are the GI currently in my BSD
    CTretro.JPGCTretro.JPG

Here are the Comet Twin's with the clear lens. Terrible spots and not much light for the PF. These had a strong purple hue in RL and the camera is making it worse. These were my least favorite.
    TwinClear.JPGTwinClear.JPG

Here's the Comet Twin's with frosted lens. An improvement over the clear IMO. Less of the purple hue but still noticeable. Not much light for the PF. These were my second least favorite
    TwinFrost-270.JPGTwinFrost-270.JPG

Here's the Comet 1SMD Frosted. This is probably my favorite of the Comet bulbs and I think are a slight improvement over the CT retros. Nice solid blue color with no strange purple tinge. No hot spots on the plastic and slightly more light for the PF. I think these are my overall favorite of this group
    1SMD.JPG1SMD.JPG

Last but not least the Comet OP-MAX. I had to change my white balance to dull the intense purple my camera was picking up. In RL the purple is noticeable but, not terrible like the twin clear. There's a great amount of light produced out the side for the playfield but, terrible spots. I tried sanding the OP-MAX with 400 grit paper to see if I could dull it and it was barely noticeable.
    OpMax.JPGOpMax.JPG

So overall I'm a fan of the 1SMD frosted. Makes me wonder if there's a need for OP-MAX frosted maybe? We also tried some OP-MAX in random locations on my friends Tron. The large plastics at the top of the game that cover the Cora inner loop shot were extremely spotty but, again we were impressed by the amount of light produced to the side and onto the surrounding area.

IMO I think most people would probably not be disappointed by the OP-MAX. The spots are noticeable in RL but, the camera is intensifying them somewhat. The hint of purple is obvious but, not overwhelming. After taking these pics and comparing the results I believe my original assessment is still correct. We are missing a purpose built GI bulb. If someone could combine the diffused light of the 1SMD frosted on top for the plastics and the bright light produced to the side like the OP-MAX, we would have a clear winner for sure!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-led-bulb-manufacturers-pls-make-a-gi-bulb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.