(Topic ID: 241506)

Pinball lease? Would you see a value in this direction in the future?

By Yelobird

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images (resized).jpg
    LG8hcp (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Scorch.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#49 4 years ago

As others pointed out... in the current market of very little depreciation, it would not make sense for private individuals to lease unless they really need that pinball and don't have the cash to buy it outright (in which case they still probably shouldn't be leasing).

But lets look at establishments like bars, club houses, bowling alleys etc. They could lease a pinball with no upfront costs other than lets say a $300 down payment. they can put all the shipping, taxes, etc in to the monthly payment so they will have monthly payments of say $100-$150/month which should be fully tax deductible. A wise lessor might even throw in repair service for an additional $xx/month to ensure the machine stays in good shape. The establishment can then start getting positive cash flow from the first month, rather than having to wait for a year and cash out only when you sell the pin.

Also, this would allow a bar owner to get several pins without needing $30+k upfront.

Note - if they finance it (rather than lease) the taxes are not as favorable. They would would not be able to deduct the cost of the machine up-front put rather they would depreciate it over 5-10 years. Then when they sell it, they will be taxed on the revenue from the sale.

Note: I am not a tax professional...talk to one before listening to any advice given here!

#52 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

An even better system than this already exists: operators. Establishments pay nothing up front, nothing ever, and they collect a portion of the earnings.

Well... Leasing could also be an interesting option for operators as well. They also will have quicker cash flow, better tax advantage and low upfront cost if they lease

#55 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

That's possible. Unfortunately, the amount I've been quoted for a lease is higher than an average earning game at my best location. After paying the lease, I'd be losing money each month.

It's four times higher than an average earning game at my worst locations

Damn... well, so much for that Idea....

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Scorch.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-lease-would-you-see-a-value-in-this-direction-in-the-future?tu=Scorch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.