(Topic ID: 241506)

Pinball lease? Would you see a value in this direction in the future?

By Yelobird

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images (resized).jpg
    LG8hcp (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 4 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Obviously pricing would have to be worth the hassle for whoever is operating the game. In the end, costs would probably not make sense for most. Just thought it might work for some.

Yes, true. The problem is the "worth the hassle" price is quite high. It should probably be like $75-$100 per hour, and even that might be low. So...$300-$400, or more just to get a machine into and out of a house.

#52 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

An even better system than this already exists: operators. Establishments pay nothing up front, nothing ever, and they collect a portion of the earnings.

Well... Leasing could also be an interesting option for operators as well. They also will have quicker cash flow, better tax advantage and low upfront cost if they lease

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from Scorch:

Well... Leasing could also be an interesting option for operators as well. They also will have quicker cash flow, better tax advantage and low upfront cost if they lease

That's possible. Unfortunately, the amount I've been quoted for a lease is higher than an average earning game at my best location. After paying the lease, I'd be losing money each month.

It's four times higher than an average earning game at my worst locations.

#54 4 years ago

I have leased for business break rooms. 300 per month per machine. 3 month min. Ground level delivery.Its been successful the little bit Ive done it.
    Customer takes care of ball jams. I do cleaning and repairs if needed. Game on freeplay. Seems to work well.
    I would not do it for homes. Too much risk. Client passes away, moves, divorces etc etc. 4k+ machine is tied up in limbo. A home owner is likely to get bored quick and resent having to pay 300 plus per month on a lease that was an impulse decision to begin with. Delivery also a nightmare as most are in basements.

Jr

#55 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

That's possible. Unfortunately, the amount I've been quoted for a lease is higher than an average earning game at my best location. After paying the lease, I'd be losing money each month.

It's four times higher than an average earning game at my worst locations

Damn... well, so much for that Idea....

2 months later
    #56 4 years ago

Elite Home Gamerooms is a chain in Florida that is going after home market. Example: $400 a month for Houdini, full mobile repair warranty. Avatar, $300, Last Action hero, $200. Sounds reasonable if the come to your house when something goes wrong.

#57 4 years ago
    Quoted from ThisNotes4U:

$400 a month for Houdini,

$400.00 per month = $4800.00 per year. Make it 15 months and you are at $6000.00. With nothing to sell. Whether you are renting a pin by the month or by the year, this qualifies as a rich man's hobby.

I would be more inclined to buy and take a $1000.00-$1500.00 loss when selling a year later.

But people lease cars all of the time, so maybe this plan will get traction for the pinlord.

#58 4 years ago

IMO one pin a month with a service contract could be very appealing. Price structure is very odd but I like the folks at Saturn1 Elitle Games. Play free at anyone of many showrooms. Don't got link, sorry.

images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg
    #59 4 years ago
    Quoted from ThisNotes4U:

IMO one pin a month with a service contract could be very appealing. Price structure is very odd but I like the folks at Saturn1 Elitle Games. Play free at anyone of many showrooms. Don't got link, sorry.[quoted image]

OK. Your client wants your $400.00 a month deal. But he wants to swap for a different pin every month.

Are you going to make him sign a year long contract? If so, will you be able to provide a different pin every month for one year?

It means you will have to beg, buy, borrow, sweat, or steal the 12 pins you need to set up a contract like that.

#60 4 years ago

For me, it makes more sense to buy. I live in a pinball hole. Plus, I prefer to play my pins for months/years. I’m not a good enough player to master a pinball in the short term. If I want to play a bunch of pins, I will travel and play for 2-3 days. May cost a total of $500 with food and hotel, but I can get my fill on 40 plus machines. Just my 2 cents. Interesting question though. Pinball is too much of a niche market for leasing to be viable, unless in a large city with a business that leases and services...then maybe.

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

$400.00 per month = $4800.00 per year. Make it 15 months and you are at $6000.00. With nothing to sell. Whether you are renting a pin by the month or by the year, this qualifies as a rich man's hobby.
    I would be more inclined to buy and take a $1000.00-$1500.00 loss when selling a year later.
    But people lease cars all of the time, so maybe this plan will get traction for the pinlord.

Compare to: A new cool car every month. I agree a years lease would suck. BUT I Still see potential and want to lease per month/delivery!!! I want ane game this month please, pick this one up and bring me Iron Madian...

https://www.elitehomegamerooms.com/

#62 4 years ago
    Quoted from ThisNotes4U:

Compare to: A new cool car every month. I agree a years lease would suck. BUT I Still see potential and want to lease per month/delivery!!! I want ane game this month please, pick this one up and bring me Iron Madian...
    https://www.elitehomegamerooms.com/

OK. But this Elite Home Game Rooms has got a lot of other stuff going on than just renting/leasing pins. As part of a business with other revenue streams, leasing/renting can add a nice boost. Todd Tuckey rents pins for parties, for example.

But renting pins as a stand-alone business sounds risky to me.

Your mileage may differ.

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-lease-would-you-see-a-value-in-this-direction-in-the-future/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.