Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by snyper2099
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Update: see below for Synper's post on the tournament joint on in Cincy this weekend.

Are there any pinball leagues in NKY or the Cincinnati area? If not, are any of the insiders in that area interested in starting one?

#2 9 years ago

We have Cincy Pinball here, which is a group of enthusiasts (60+ so far) that has a subset that has formed a league of ~30 people. We're just now sorting out 3rd season, and might be full but not sure. We're always open socially though .. shoot me a PM and I can add you to the email list.

1 month later
    #3 9 years ago

Yeah, I'd love a league at a bar 1 night a week like they have back in Brooklyn. Does this exist in Cincy/NKY?

#4 9 years ago

Not yet... But with a few new pin locations opening up this year, it could be very possible. Sadly, there is no location (YET) that could easily support such a thing. I would love to support Porter's pinball but the games all play fairly poorly and his "tilt" policy is just stupid. I will post any updates back here. Right now, I am trying to find a location that can support 6-8 of my well maintained games. Haven't come up any accommodating places as of yet...

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Not yet... But with a few new pin locations opening up this year, it could be very possible. Sadly, there is no location (YET) that could easily support such a thing. I would love to support Porter's pinball but the games all play fairly poorly and his "tilt" policy is just stupid. I will post any updates back here. Right now, I am trying to find a location that can support 6-8 of my well maintained games. Haven't come up any accommodating places as of yet...

Yeah, the tilt thing is just weird. I have already been warned. One more time and I get kicked out. So stupid.

#6 9 years ago

Cool. Glad to hear there are others interested as well.

New pin places this fall? That sounds promising.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from DrSbaitso:

Cool. Glad to hear there are others interested as well.
    New pin places this fall? That sounds promising.

I don't know of any opening up soon, but that would be awesome. Barcades are all the rage now. I heard that one was supposed to open up in northside, but it's been awhile since I have heard anything about it though.

#8 9 years ago

Main places to play right now, Gameworks, porters, the cone, Motr, all have issues with their machines. The cone's owner is a pinhead and tries to keep them running well, but he seems busy. The other place just don't care really. I've heard the machines at arcade legacy are in good shape, but I haven't been there yet.

#9 9 years ago

Yeah, been to Motr and Porter's. I'll have to check out the Cone and/or Arcade Legacy someday, those places weren't on my radar.

Yeah, a few months ago I heard rumors of 2 different Barcade-style bars opening up (one in Northside, one Downtown) but haven't heard a thing since. Hope it happens.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Not yet... Right now, I am trying to find a location that can support 6-8 of my well maintained games. Haven't come up any accommodating places as of yet...

Keep plugging. Now is a good time to solicit business owners for pins.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah, the tilt thing is just weird. I have already been warned. One more time and I get kicked out. So stupid.

Wait. They seriously have a no tilt policy? That's farking stupid. I don't care how loose or tight the tilts are. Stupid rule. I wouldn't patronize any business with a rule like that. In fact, I might organize picketers to show up out front 4 or 5 times a week. No pins at all is better than some bs no tilt rule.

Is this rule unwritten? Do you get one warning? The answers don't really matter. It's all bad. I'm just curious about the details. No way they'd have big enough balls to post a rule like that on the wall, would they?

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

No way they'd have big enough balls to post a rule like that on the wall, would they?

That's exactly what they have. A sign that says, "NO TILTING! First time, warning. Second time, you will be asked to leave." I don't get it either man. I guess it's cause he paid so much for them and doesn't want them to get messed up. He overpaid for all the pins in this place. I have asked him what he wants for some of the games, and they are almost double what normal asking prices are, and he says he only marked them up 10% from what he paid.

3 weeks later
    #12 9 years ago
    Quoted from DrSbaitso:

Yeah, been to Motr and Porter's. I'll have to check out the Cone and/or Arcade Legacy someday, those places weren't on my radar.

I went to The Cone last weekend. Tales of Arabian Nights was down. Cirqus Voltaire was on when we got there, but the game was not returning locked balls to the playfield for a multi-ball, so it was turned off too.

Still had a blast on Demolition Man.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from shoebox:

I went to The Cone last weekend. Tales of Arabian Nights was down. Cirqus Voltaire was on when we got there, but the game was not returning locked balls to the playfield for a multi-ball, so it was turned off too.

Demo man was in good shape last time I went. Hopefully you didn't beat my GC score. Nothing too crazy, I think it was around 2.3 billion.

#14 9 years ago

Saw an article in Enquirer this weekend...

"Craft beer pairs with '80's arcade games and pinball machines at a new Downtown venue. TopScore Beercade is on the lower level of Rusconi Pizza, 126 W. Sixth St.
    ...6pm-close daily ...
    rusconipizza.com"

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

Saw an article in Enquirer this weekend...
    "Craft beer pairs with '80's arcade games and pinball machines at a new Downtown venue. TopScore Beercade is on the lower level of Rusconi Pizza, 126 W. Sixth St.
    ...6pm-close daily ...
    rusconipizza.com"

I went to the grade opening last weekend. Very cramped. Only had the standard arcades you see everywhere. They are supposed to be getting a T2 and space invaders pinball machines too, but there were no pins when I went. You can tell the people running the place are just trying to have a barcade and really don't know anything about the hobby.

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from shoebox:

I am sorry there are several games down right now. My involvement with maintaining them has come to an end for personal reasons but I'm in the process of arranging new support on them. Given the season end date is October 5th I doubt anything will improve this year but hopefully better things are in store for the lineup next year.

2 weeks later
    #17 9 years ago

Just saw this tidbit about the Northside beercade... been waiting for some news on this operation.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2014/10/09/exclusive-beercade-coming-to-northside.html?full=true

#18 9 years ago

I'd love to hear more about this tilt rule... I bring my games to the Louisville show every year and it has never been a concern of mine if someone is playing my game and tilts... Now rage tilting is one thing but, if someone is trying to save a ball with a hard nudge, shaking or even moving the game, that's just what you do... No big deal IMO... Apparently this guy has no clue how to play pinball.

-Steve

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from VDrums2112:

I'd love to hear more about this tilt rule... I bring my games to the Louisville show every year and it has never been a concern of mine if someone is playing my game and tilts... Now rage tilting is one thing but, if someone is trying to save a ball with a hard nudge, shaking or even moving the game, that's just what you do... No big deal IMO... Apparently this guy has no clue how to play pinball.
    -Steve

I think he enjoys it, but is not an enthusiast or a hardcore player. He is handicapped and doesn't have the use of his right hand, so unless he is playing one of the machines he retrofitted for both flippers to be controlled from the left side, he doesn't play. He also seems to have a lot of money because he way over paid for all his machines and in turn wants a ridiculous price for each one.

One example. He has a nice players condition DM, nothing special. He wants 3995 for it! No way. He just thinks that tilting is bad for the machines. He doesn't know that if done right it's part of the game.

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from DrSbaitso:

Just saw this tidbit about the Northside beercade... been waiting for some news on this operation.
    http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2014/10/09/exclusive-beercade-coming-to-northside.html?full=true

This should be cool. They seem like they know about pinball and arcades. Just from the listing of arcades they will have, I can tell. They are not just buying a dozen or so arcades and throwing them in a bar. They are putting thought into it. That barcade that just opened up downtown is terrible IMO. I hope they choose some good pins too. Hopefully some that are not normally seen on location to help get more interest into the hobby around the NKY Cincy area.

Please let them get Tapper too! I love that game haha.

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Right now, I am trying to find a location that can support 6-8 of my well maintained games. Haven't come up any accommodating places as of yet...

Just a thought. There are a handful of bars in Covington (Mainstrasse and near the suspension bridge) that have an upstairs portion of the bar that might be conducive to handling a lineup of pins. Would be really great to have a nice place on location to maybe start a league on location and get some extra business for the bar as well. It seems like the upstairs to those bars are not used often, unless they need to send some overflow for lunch up there or have a private party.

2 weeks later
    #22 9 years ago

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/newintown/2014/10/14/16-bit-bar--arcade-to-open-in-over-the-rhine/17258475/

Just heard about this over the weekend. Could be cool if they keep the games in good shape. Might be an option for you as well Matt.

#23 9 years ago

Do people ever get together to do some kind of an informal event (pin party?) at people's homes? I'd love to meet locals and see pins that I don't have access to. I only have 2 pins at the moment (hopefully 3 by the end of the week), but I'd be happy to have a few people over if there was interest.

#24 9 years ago

Just got this email response from the guys at 16 bit. Pretty exciting:

We have not determined which pins we’ll have in Cincy yet, but there will be at least 8 and we will be having leagues.

Thanks!

16-BIT BAR + ARCADE

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from cincyITguy:

Do people ever get together to do some kind of an informal event (pin party?) at people's homes? I'd love to meet locals and see pins that I don't have access to. I only have 2 pins at the moment (hopefully 3 by the end of the week), but I'd be happy to have a few people over if there was interest.

Yes, quite a few of us do that occasionally.

#26 9 years ago

I go to one or two people's homes very regularly. It's all about how much you're willing to drive. For me, an hour drive to hang out for 6-10 hours on the weekend is a no brainer. We do more than play too - tech work, war stories, move pins up and down stairs, setting them up, 4 player games. It's a total blast.

Being in Liberty Township, you are nearly smack-dab in the middle of the route I go to hang with fellow Pinsiders (I drive to Cincy about every other week).

7 months later
    #27 8 years ago

I know this is an old thread but is there anything going on in Cincinnati area as far as tournaments or leagues or pinball get togethers? I know The Cone has like 9 pins now and are all in pretty good shape that last time I was there. Sounds like a great place to get some people together and play. Anyone?

2 months later
    #28 8 years ago

Currently workin on trying to set up leagues at either the place retro arcade and/or arcade legacy: bar edition.

The cone is another good spot to consider as well.

Not sure when any of these will go live, but I am trying my best to get something going, then might help start other leagues at different locations if interest warrants it.

#29 8 years ago

I am also trying to get 16-bit downtown to let me in on their plans for leagues as they said they planned on doing leagues too. They only have 4 pins, but they said they plan on getting at least 8. Once I can get some definitive plans together, I will try to spread the word as best I can to get people signed up.

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Currently workin on trying to set up leagues at either the place retro arcade and/or arcade legacy: bar edition.
    The cone is another good spot to consider as well.
    Not sure when any of these will go live, but I am trying my best to get something going, then might help start other leagues at different locations if interest warrants it.

I'm definitely interested!

#31 8 years ago

We are having the a tournament this Sunday Aug. 30th @ 1PM

Here are the details: 3 Strike Knockout Pinball Tournament @ The Place Retro Arcade

https://www.facebook.com/ThePlaceRetroArcade
    4069 E Galbraith Rd
    Cincinnati, OH 45236

Sunday August 30th
    - Start time is 1PM.
    - We may accept entries up to 2PM, if there are people waiting.
    - You can show up at noon to practice if you like.
    Entry fee is $10 (+coin drop 0.25 or 0.50/game). 100% payout. No re-entries.
    Prize payouts: 1st- 55% 2nd- 30% 3rd- 15%
    There will also be a FREE side pinball tournament for single highest score on Mr. Ms. Pac-Man. (CUTOFF=7PM) You do not have to participate in the main tournament to play in this FREE side tournament.
    Tournament Rules
    - 2 player groups are picked each round using balanced groupings. (Every effort will be made to not play the same players more than once.)
    - Loser of each 2 player game gets 1 strike. 3 strikes and you are eliminated. Play continues until only one player remains.
    - An odd number of players in a round will play in a 3 player group (NO BYES).
    - Distracting a player is NOT permitted.

The Place's Current Pinball Lineup
    Elvira and the Party Monsters
    World Poker Tour
    Tales From The Crypt
    Metallica Pro
    Funhouse
    Party Zone (free play area)

$5 per person if you want to chip in for Marco’s pizza @ ~5PM (it’s right next door).
    Feel free to bring your own food and drinks. There are also snacks and drinks for sale at The Place.
    The Place Retro Arcade is an ALL AGES, family friendly arcade. IT IS OK to bring your own adult beverages. Please be responsible.

The arcade will be open during and after the tournament. If you want to play arcades, admission for all tournament players and guests is only $5 for all day. There are over 50 golden age arcade games from the 70’s and 80’s. You do not have to pay admission to play in the tournament!

PM me if you need any additional info.

#33 8 years ago

Who's going to this? Would like to meet some more local pinball weirdos!

#34 8 years ago

Hmm, Trent should be there. I am going to try to round up some more folks Saturday.

#35 8 years ago

I'll be there.

4 weeks later
    #36 8 years ago

Lunar Eclipse Tournament this Sunday @ The Place Retro Arcade.

https://m.facebook.com/ThePlaceRetroArcade

Sept 27th at 3pm. 2 player match, "best 2 of 3 games" single elim. bracket tournament will be $5 per person (+ coin drop). Loser picks next game... If enough people want to play another bracket at 6pm, we will go another round. 100% payout, first 55% second 35%, third 10%.

WPPR POINTS WILL BE AWARDED! Additional side tournament on Alien Star is free! One play per person on side tourney. There are snacks and drinks there. You can bring adult beverages. Please park across street in huge parking lot. See you there!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-leagues-in-the-nky-cincinnati-area and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.