Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 104 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by fantarama
  • Topic is favorited by 32 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinball-wood (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    t_recall_v11.jpg
    TR-pinball.jpg
    Pinball-Labs-Kickstarter.png
    lwkwCjV_(resized).png
    fyvyKcV_(resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toyotaboy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 8 years ago

would love to hear more about this. The physics look great. Seems like because it's a true 3d environment using the unreal4 engine, it'll make laying things out much easier. #1 thing I hate about both virtual pinballs is that everything is done in 2d with layers and heights. I'm used to designing in 3d in solidworks, and panning around the object to make sure it looks right.

1 month later
    #22 8 years ago
    Quoted from tmek:

I'm excited to announce the Pinball Labs Kickstarter is now LIVE!

So I have question. You mention this:
    " our API supports connectivity of virtual pinball to real world hardware or emulators"

Not sure what this implies. Are we talking about controlling solenoids and shaker motors to make virtual cabinets feel more real, or do you think this can be used similiar to PROC where I test my layout virtually (including building my code), then that same code can be used to run a real pinball game? Or both?

Also from the standpoint of just the simulator, how does it compare to future pinball and visual pinball (beyond the fact that you're creating in a true 3d envoirnment). Can I import new models as needed (for toys for instance, or maybe I want to model my ramps in a 3rd party program)? And if so, what format? (I'm assuming since this is based on the Unreal 4 engine, it needs to be .fbx)?

#30 8 years ago

Sorry, another question (and yes, I'm totally backing this). How will this work for distributing tables. Will it be a file like a map on unreal engine, or something specific you created? Will every user need to install the unreal engine? Is it possible to compile say an executable (like the retro arcade game room), or would that be too large?
    http://www.digitalcybercherries.com

#32 8 years ago

very excited to get an early beta when it's ready. I'd be curious, is there limitations on table size? What I'm getting at, could it be possible to create something wacky like the total recall side by side table? Because it's not possible in the current 2 emulators:
    TR-pinball.jpgTR-pinball.jpg

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from tmek:

You would likely have to provide your own cabinet model.

Not a problem
    t_recall_v1[1].jpgt_recall_v1[1].jpg

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from tmek:

There's quite an extensive discussion about the project on this forum post if you are interested in more details like that:

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=32576&page=1

Lots to read, but looks like you have some good positive support from people who are knee deep in simulation supporting this project. Big thing I saw was someone posted a video of converting a pirates of the carribean from future pinball to visual pinball X (because of the improved lighting and ball trails). To me, visual pinball still looks crappier to me (but FP hasn't been updated since it's release). My hope is people wait for this to take off, and convert every table to pinball labs.

#38 8 years ago

More questions:
    1. Since your beta simulator is showing a walkable room (as apposed to future pinball where you're either standing in front of the machine, or flying over it), Can I assume it might be possible (very much like retro arcade game room) that at some point I could "build an arcade" where I have a specific row of machines all in the same room, and I walk up to each one (rather than flipping through a menu). If so, how does that work. Will the program do a dumbed down attract mode of each machine until I step up to it (so as to not put the CPU at full load)?

2. Will the room always be generic, or is there a possibility for constructing a custom shaped gameroom, not unlike making unreal maps? And could those custom gamerooms be downloadable just like the games themselves?

#40 8 years ago

bump
    13% funded, let's get this thing off the ground!

#42 8 years ago
    Quoted from BrianMadden:

The API @tmek has created for Pinball Labs via that lightweight binary protocol he's calling Pinball Event Protocol (PEP) is fantastic. It lets external software (Mission Pinball Framework, PyProcGame, Open Pinball Framework, etc.) talk to the Pinball Labs virtual pinball machine's drivers, switches, lights, and LEDs just like a P-ROC, FAST, Open Pinball Project, etc. hardware device. It's dirt-simple and much easier and to use and modern than the external APIs for Future Pinball, Visual Pinball, and/or Visual PinMAME, and I'm really excited about it!

If this program gets funded, virtual pinball will take a big step forward.

Thank you so much fore clearing this up (I think I saw you on the vpforum). Sounds like this is a killer program that if gets funded will be a HUGE jump in pinball emulation and the homebrew hobby. This software alone could be a huge boon for pushing the hardware side. Really hope this thread gains traction.

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from strangetown:

Tried the demo and it is very impressive

I ran it on my current crappy dual core cpu with a geforce 8400, it's very slow (but so does everything in the U4 envoirnment, or the retro arcade demo, or any modern game released in the last 3 years). I run most tables on future pinball fine, but that just goes to show you how efficient (but cumbersome to program) future pinball.
    I have a core i5 desktop 64-bit with 4gb ram and GT730 video card just waiting to get all my software transferred over, should run it fine. Just a heads up for those interested, computer has to be within this decade. For the record, the newer desktop is used, and cost less than $150.

3 weeks later
    #71 8 years ago
    Quoted from Roo:

Bump. Only 4 days left. Spread the word!

I'm not hopeful based on how kickstarters typically run (and I backed $45). I really want to see this project succeed. What's going to happen to the project if it isn't funded?

#76 8 years ago

68% funded with 40 hours to go.. how the heck can we get people to pledge?

#82 8 years ago

what happens to this project now? If you have to sell licensed copies to pay for R&D or to license out the engine, I'm good with that!

3 weeks later
    #96 8 years ago

so I tried to load that japanese pinball simulator, couldn't get it to work because epic's crappy program isn't user friendly. Even if it did work, it won't have what pinball labs had which is interfacing with real hardware. Really amazed this project couldn't find 412 users to fully back it.

1 year later
    #102 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

being able to develop a machine in 3D to get a better sense of gameplay and timing would be very helpful

agreed... the unreal engine really has superb physics as far as gravity is concerned.. Plus converting a 3d object from another program into the format that U4 needs is far easier than either of the current simulations. It would be so ideal to model everything in solidworks, then start pulling all those objects into a program like this and truly test it out.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toyotaboy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-labs?tu=toyotaboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.