Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 104 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by fantarama
  • Topic is favorited by 32 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinball-wood (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    t_recall_v11.jpg
    TR-pinball.jpg
    Pinball-Labs-Kickstarter.png
    lwkwCjV_(resized).png
    fyvyKcV_(resized).png
    There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 8 years ago

Can i ask some questions if i understand what this is.

- is this software where i can make my own virtual pinball playfield and game?

If yes.

- can i also use it to make modes and rules without knowing how to code?

- if i plan to build in real my self made virtual pin, can this software be used to run the real pin?

If not.

What is this than? Cause than i dont understand what pinballlabs does.

#52 8 years ago

Donated. Good luck!

#53 8 years ago
    Quoted from Plungemaster:

Yeah, I was a bit unclear on this, is there any built in scripting (visual or code)? Or are you just supposed to point mission pinball at it?

#54 8 years ago

Can i ask some questions if i understand what this is.
    - is this software where i can make my own virtual pinball playfield and game?

Yes, pinball labs allows you to design/create, play and share virtual pinball machines. Granted it is a commercial product so in order to play one of your tables they would need their own copy of Pinball Labs.

I will definetly be providing at least one scripting option with Pinball Labs. But the API is there so that hopefully others will make other options available.

I also am aiming to provide an easy-to-use and non-scripting method to define game play and logic for simpler designs. I'm not sure exactly what capabilities that will have. Certainly scoring, lighting, sound and having multiple modes but then you get into things like DMD animation which is more complicated. So certain things might still require scripting.

One of the things I'm banking on though is the API. I really want to do great job on and make the protocol easy and open to encourage other developers to write things that extend and interface with Pinball Labs.

Here's something I wrote up on another forum to answer a similar question about gameplay logic/rules and file formats:

http://i.imgur.com/MxsKoGo.png

#55 8 years ago

can i also use it to make modes and rules without knowing how to code?

- if i plan to build in real my self made virtual pin, can this software be used to run the real pin?

Coming from the Mission Pinball Framework side of this, my plan is that you can answer "yes" to both. Pinball Labs will be a 3D virtual pinball environment. If you're using the Mission Pinball Framework, the idea is that you will ignore whatever programming / scripting / coding environment Pinball Labs has. In other words, the Pinball Labs 3D machine will be just a virtual physical machine with no lights or logic or anything.

Then you would run the Mission Pinball Framework (on the same computer), and it will connect to the Pinball Labs 3D machine just like it connects to a real machine via a P-ROC or FAST Pinball controller.

We have lots of tutorials and how-to guides for the Mission Framework, and there's a lot you can do if you're not a coder. Though obviously if you know how to code, you can do more, but it's possible to do modes, scoring, lights, sounds, multiball, etc. all with text-based config files.. call it "coding lite"

So if you use Pinball Labs with the Mission Framework, then you could also build a physical pinball machine and put a P-ROC or FAST controller in there and control it with the same config files and stuff via Mission Framework you use for the virtual 3D machine. This is actually why I'm most excited about Pinball Labs. I want to have a good 3D testing / prototyping environment for the Mission Framework so people can get started without having to physical pinball machine to program for.

#56 8 years ago

Thanks guys!

Interesting stuff.... Opens up possibilities.

#57 8 years ago
    Quoted from tmek:

I'm excited to announce the Pinball Labs Kickstarter is now LIVE!

full url: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1820215579/pinball-labs

The video only show's a limited build, will you have a full selection of stand-offs and posts available? What about ramps and habitrails? Lastly what about mechanisms (Vuks, etc)?

#58 8 years ago
    Quoted from VacFink:

The video only show's a limited build, will you have a full selection of stand-offs and posts available? What about ramps and habitrails? Lastly what about mechanisms (Vuks, etc)?

Habitrails, ramps, railings and plastics will all be laid out and adjusted using splines. (The rubbers in the second half of the Kickstarter video show kind of what that will be like.)

The first version will have the most common playfield devices/mechanisms included, including things like ball troughs. You will also be able to import .fbx models for stationary playfield and ornamental objects.

What I hope to implement in a future release is the "Device Workshop" where you can design your own compound virtual pinball devices built from 3D models, virtual solenoids, motors, springs, switches and lights.

#59 8 years ago

I accidentally quoted my own post.. is there a way to delete a post? :p

#60 8 years ago

The Pinball Makers site has a ton of 3D objects based on real parts you can get models from.

http://pinballmakers.com/wiki/index.php/Files_Section#3D_templates

#61 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

The Pinball Makers site has a ton of 3D objects based on real parts you can get models from.
    http://pinballmakers.com/wiki/index.php/Files_Section#3D_templates

Indeed! I used some of those models as reference for the low-poly, game ready models I created!

fyvyKcV_(resized).pngfyvyKcV_(resized).png

lwkwCjV_(resized).pnglwkwCjV_(resized).png

#62 8 years ago

I just noticed on your channel a side by side comparison of a Papa video of Fishtales and your Pinball Labs version of Fishtales. Although your version isn't yet complete the physics compare very favourably with the real table which is very promising.

Are you planning to show any videos of the table lighting in a darker room environment? I would certainly like to see something like this because it is where most pinball sims fall down.

1 week later
    #63 8 years ago

Just backed! Bump. Looks awesome.

#64 8 years ago

Looks really promising! You should change the thread title to be more descriptive if you can (e.g. "Pinball Labs: new Unreal-powered 3D virtual pinball simulator and homebrew development tool" or something). I almost didn't open it but am glad I did.

#65 8 years ago

The kickstarter should be updated with the other videos, there are a number of features shown here that aren't apparent in the kickstarter. I'd like to see this succeed but seems like some social media communication heavy lifting needs to happen to make it a go. Good luck. I'm a backer.

#66 8 years ago

Agreed, I barely stumbled across this.... this morning while flipping through kickstarter bored. I did NOT find out about it from pinside. I really hope it funds.

#67 8 years ago

Donated.

#68 8 years ago

It will be a major loss if this doesn't get funded. Maybe a two month KS period would be better to allow it to gain people attention. I think with Christmas people are too busy and it might not get noticed. Plus some people are skint. There us still hope though, hopefully the new thread title will gain peoples attention. Good luck.

#69 8 years ago

Donated.

#70 8 years ago

Bump. Only 4 days left. Spread the word!

#71 8 years ago
    Quoted from Roo:

Bump. Only 4 days left. Spread the word!

I'm not hopeful based on how kickstarters typically run (and I backed $45). I really want to see this project succeed. What's going to happen to the project if it isn't funded?

#72 8 years ago

I think the project would have a better chance if there was a bit more information explained in the kickstarter as we have asked on 2 threads on pinside and the answers has helped us understand better but alot of people would not know of Pinside so they have to rely on the kickstarter info which lacks a little bit info on the real potential of what this program can do.

#73 8 years ago

I just upped my pledge. Really like the potential on this software.

#74 8 years ago

Nice one - I just doubled my pledge too. This is too good to let go.

#75 8 years ago

Just found a video of the Pinball Labs demo running in a cabinet. Very impressive. Look out for multi-ball at end with at least a dozen balls.

#76 8 years ago

68% funded with 40 hours to go.. how the heck can we get people to pledge?

#78 8 years ago

Just backed this. Looks really interesting, and will help the pinball community.

#79 8 years ago

Wow, can't believe I'm only just now hearing about this! Only 3 hours left! Hope it's successful, and if not, I hope you don't give up! I've got a game I'm working on in Future Pinball, but this looks like it will be a lot better. Just hope it runs well on my laptop! Good luck!

#80 8 years ago

backers

$15,053
    pledged of $18,500 goal

minutes to go

Oof, close.

#81 8 years ago

Never got the e-mail update to go back and back this! 6 Minutes late but my money wouldn't have made the difference. Would love to see this happen though.

#82 8 years ago

what happens to this project now? If you have to sell licensed copies to pay for R&D or to license out the engine, I'm good with that!

#83 8 years ago

So can he try it again or is it a one and done with kickstarter?

#84 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

backers
    $15,053
    pledged of $18,500 goal
    minutes to go
    Oof, close.

I'm sure that with some additional information on features/capabilities and more awareness about it in the community that it could make it. Personally, I wasn't really aware of this project until the discussion started becoming active a few days ago. The funding period probably lost about two weeks due to the holidays.

#85 8 years ago

many kickstarter projects go again after a unsuccessful first go, and many have learnt the information that needs to go in for the re-run and are then very successful.

in the rewards / project there was never a clear mention that you could develop your own game more was selling a playable game.

If the rerun project was launched has a complete game as the reward but clearly states that people can then design their own games and how they can do it, the interest would be big. Then have a stretch goal that the software could be developed for mac could be made if a goal was reached and the support would grow even more.

hope he goes again, some great features

#86 8 years ago

I did not fund - mainly because the rewards weren't interesting to me.
    I'm looking for useful features which enables the Pinball-Maker to test, validated, and export projects. Specifically, tools which take the "virtual" game into the real world.

#87 8 years ago

Damn, hoped this would be funded!

Maybe he could re-evaulate the cost and see if it might fit it to15 000 $, that is still a good funding amount

#88 8 years ago

I can't believe I missed this. I would have put you a solid $25 closer

I favorited the thread so I don't miss the second funding attempt.

#89 8 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

many kickstarter projects go again after a unsuccessful first go, and many have learnt the information that needs to go in for the re-run and are then very successful.

in the rewards / project there was never a clear mention that you could develop your own game more was selling a playable game.

I agree with this. I backed it (of course) but if there was a way to distribute a stand-alone table that I'd personally developed (and it was advertised as such) then I think it would've received more attention.

Failing bundling it in a single package, just provide a launcher/basic free version that just allows a user to play tables without editing/advanced features. Maybe put a store link in there as well to buy the full piece of software too!

I have a number of ideas floating around for machines that although somewhat basic, seem far too difficult to implement into currently available software (like Visual PinMAME) for a beginner and obviously cost (and skill)-prohibitive to implement into a whitewood. This would be perfect.

Thankfully, it looks like we'll still see it eventually, just not quite according to how it was put on the KS page.

#90 8 years ago

I'm disappointed but not surprised. This forum is probably a major source of the support and not even update posts here in 25 days. In my opinion its just a sign that if funded, it might have been money lost. Not a lot of engagement or effort from the OP to make it work. Still impressed that it made it as close as it did, considering the lack of apparent effort to market. That said, it would be difficult for me to back again in a second go, too many kickstarter red flags here.

Sad, I really had hopes for this idea. Its doable on a longer time frame without funds, so maybe there's a chance. I'd surely buy into a working version.

1 week later
    #91 8 years ago

Hi guys,

I know many of you don't share the same view as VacFink but he brings up some points that I don't mind addressing.

Quoted from VacFink:

Not a lot of engagement or effort from OP to make it work. Still impressed that it made it as close as it did, considering the lack of apparent effort to market.

VacFink, I have to say you don't seem to understand the level of effort it takes to do something like this. It was extremely hard work getting Pinball Labs to a functioning demo and done solely at my expense. I spent probably eight to ten hours every day before and during the campaign trying to market Pinball Labs at my own expense. I was able to get it a huge amount of press attention, RoadToVR, Engadget, Techcrunch and others covered the story mostly due to the virtual reality angle. The traffic to the Kickstarter was significant and I was in every pinball related forum everyday that would have me answering questions and interacting with the communities that weren't yet sold on the idea of Pinball Labs. Support was already pretty strong here.

Quoted from VacFink:

In my opinion its just a sign that if funded, it might have been money lost... That said, it would be difficult for me to back again in a second go, too many kickstarter red flags here.

The fact that it came so close and I DIDN'T relaunch immediately for 60 days should be what alleviates red flags for you about my character. Someone in my position could have easily immediately relaunched for 60 days and it almost certainly would have reached $18,500 and just kept the money. Similarly, I could have had a "family member" plop in $3k and been granted access to the full $18,500 (minus 8% kickstarter fees).

Kickstarter funded does not equal project funded. If the initial Kickstarter had been able to raise $18,500 in that time period with that level of exposure I was personally willing take on the risk of funding and ensuring the project could be completed and on time. Based on the feature set outlined in the Kickstarter that was a really hardcore commitment and an offer not many people would have made. As a comparison you won't even get a quote less than $100,000 to do a very simple iPhone app from a competent developer. It would have equated to me working six months, 40-60 hours every week at about $6-7 per hour based solely on the hope that there would be enough future sales to make it worth while. Unless you've made a similar financial risky offer and are willing to back it up with your own capital and hard work, I don't see how you can be so critical and downplay the effort that was put forth.

I may still pursue Pinball Labs further in the future but I'm sure most of you realize it's a difficult prospect both technically and financially.

In the meantime I created an open source project containing the code and experiments I ran related to the Pinball Event Protocol concept. It's under MIT license so Feel free to fork and do whatever you want with it.

I also received a letter from Epic about a project their Japanese offices developed called the Unreal Engine 4 Pinball Construction Kit. You can read more about it and PEP here:

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=33690

Thanks everyone,

tmek

#93 8 years ago

Oh no, I missed the kickstarter. What a shame. This is exactly what I hoped to being realized for Oculus.

#94 8 years ago
    Quoted from tmek:

red flags for you about my character.

Sorry, not what I intended. It wasn't a question of character but preparedness for kickstarter. I hope you try again. I was a backer and may be again. My point was only that there wasn't as much evidence of heavy lifting to campaign and get the word out that I thought it really needed. Maybe there was some just not where I would have thought. My small support wouldn't have made a difference, but those kinds of queues are what larger investors are likely to notice. Taking care to present differently might make the difference next time. Congratulations on your attempt. I in no way intended to do anything more than point out perception from my point of view. My apologies if understood differently. Sincerely.

Good luck next time.

#95 8 years ago

@VacFink, No problem. I just wanted to clear up any misinformation.

Good luck on your endeavors as well.

#96 8 years ago

so I tried to load that japanese pinball simulator, couldn't get it to work because epic's crappy program isn't user friendly. Even if it did work, it won't have what pinball labs had which is interfacing with real hardware. Really amazed this project couldn't find 412 users to fully back it.

1 year later
    #97 6 years ago

Is this still in active development or has it essentially become vaporware?

#100 6 years ago

I asked the OP a couple months ago and this was the response, FYI

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-labs/page/2?hl=fatcake and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.