Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 67 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by DarthXaos
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pin_groom.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#52 8 years ago
    Quoted from skquinn:

It's not cheating until the tilt bob hits the ring.

That's still not cheating. You pushed it, and you lose. Pretty sure that's the rules.

#53 8 years ago

I continue to be amazed at the number of pinsiders (not regular folk) who insist that pinball is EVER random or luck. I've never seen a pinball vaporize and reappear elsewhere in the game. It is 100% always physics. Our inability to predict the ball's motion does not mean that it isn't governed by physics. Power outages...I guess that's random luck.

OTOH, who am I to shake my fist at your voodoo?

Have fun and don't sweat it!

#58 8 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

tools and mental bandwidth

That is the key. I have trouble with insomnia at times. The difference between "rested pinball" and "insomnia pinball" is almost beyond belief.

The tired eye/ brain just cannot keep up with pinball even though it does pretty well at more typical day to day activities.

My views on this are reinforced for me by my experiences with another precision activity that folks usually assume is all about brute strength (Thanks Stallone), namely rock climbing. While strength to weight is important, I never completed a climbing project because I was suddenly stronger that day- it was always because my mind was working better, though it all obviously plays a role. The ability to visualize the fine points of what is happening cannot be underestimated. (Sadly, those days are long past, btw. )

It's all about physics and the brain's ability to calculate without numbers.

#60 8 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Then you've never played TX-Sector!

You are correct, sir. I wish I knew what this meant.

???

#61 8 years ago
    Quoted from Circus_Animal:

Ever gotten a mystery award?

Of course. Your point is understood, but I think it's clear from the context that what we're talking about is the motion of the ball.

Clearly, my blanket statement does not take this into account, but had I written it differently...

I don't think the mystery awards are nearly as "random" as we tend to think anyway. It seems to me that various awards are usually tied to other game factors in the code even if they're not abundantly obvious to casual the player. The "pity" extra ball light in PinBot is the first thing to come to mind for me here. My guests think the light just came on, while I realize that it's on because I suck.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pin_groom.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-is-pretty-much-luck-not-skill-right?tu=pin_groom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.