Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 95 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by scooter
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

arcade.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phishrace.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Why would anyone give the original post a thumbs down?

It wasn't me, but it could've been. The original poster declares that pinball is back big time. Is it really? Stern shipped around 5000 games last year. During the 90's, more than half a million NIB games were sold. Over 100,000 in 1992 alone. 5000 games a year is hardly big time.

Secondly, the poster suggests location pinball dying off is no big deal. Home buyers will fill the void. That's simply not true. Having a pin at home is luxury item most people in this country can't afford, let alone the rest of the world. Pinball will never fully recover without the location player. For more than 80 years, people have known pinball as something that is done socially away from the home. Now you usually do it alone in your basement. That's big time? I find it depressing.

If you want pinball to come back big time, play on location regularly. If there are no good locations in your area, either put your games out or move.

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

Couldn't agree with you more.

This is why we are specifically targeting operators and trying to get pinball back out into the public domain again

Andrew

Glad to hear it. Thanks for the reply. Best of luck.

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

the fact remains that most forms of entertainment that were once location based are now in our home. movies and arcades being the 2 most common.

Is that a good thing? Given the choice, would you rather play minty games on location or at someone's house?

Quoted from mrgone:

i never said location pinball dying is no big deal.

I didn't quote you. You said:

Quoted from mrgone:

there are some who will say location pinball is dead. this might be true.but the more games that are released and the more people that buy games for the home the better it is for pinball.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement for location play.

I didn't mean to single you out. Which is why I didn't reply directly to you. I didn't want to reply at all until someone wondered why you got a thumbs down. It's extremely frustrating to me to see folks flooding into the collector side of the hobby when the location side of the hobby is dying fast. Playing on location is more fun than playing at home. It also improves a person's social skills. Something that needs practice when you spend too much time at home. d

#47 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rick471:

Neither the Operators or collectors can live without each other.

Most all of the pin operators that are left are collectors. Very few strictly operator guys left any more.

#53 11 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

The irony is the very thing that killed it off (video games) is a small part of it's renaissance with Ipad apps such as Pinball Arcade.

Those folks aren't completing the connection though. They'll buy games, go to shows and even compete in tournaments or join a league. But they don't play on location regularly. That's where we need to set an example. Complete the circle, so to speak.

The Who's Tommy album had a much bigger impact on pinball in the 70's than any app ever will. Johnny Depp doing the Rick Stetta story would help. Still waiting for that one.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phishrace.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-is-back-big-time?tu=phishrace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.