Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 174 posts
  • 93 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by EricR
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    Gameroom small.jpg
    image.jpg
    fail_thread.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    0.jpg
    fu3in.jpg
    There are 174 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 9 years ago

Pinball is a location game.

The essence of pinball is to put in your $.50/$.75/$1. Euro, kronor, pound, whatever, press the start button, and go after the repay, high scores and GC. Playing with others on location is even better.

Not a "hobby" where you play dress up with your games and line up dozens of them in the basement. Those basement pins could get hundreds of times the plays (and therefore provide hundreds of times the entertainment) if they were on location.
    But, oh those HUO shooter lanes sure look nice.

No you didn't "save" that game when you took it off location and restored it and put it in your house.

Some of my favorite posts here on Pinside talk about how clueless location players are.

Guess where all of the best players that I know started off playing and got their skills from? I'll give you a hint: it wasn't from playing at someone's house.

I'm sorry that your city/county/province/town is a pinball wasteland. Hopefully someone in your area will step up and put some out there for the public to enjoy. Yes, many of us (myself included) purchased these monsters when they were hard (almost impossible) to be found, but many of us then put them back out on the street.

And even with all the pro, premium, LE, SE, etc., BS, pinball is still a location game.

The games are set up to be coin operated.

And spare me the "location pinball sucks/ I can't hear the game/ the location game wasn't leveled perfectly/ the lighting wasn't just right which caused me to miss my shot/ there was a dirt track in the inlane that made me not want to play/ the conditions were not ideal so I didn't want to play" comments.
    Do you really have to have everything exactly your way to enjoy pinball?

You miss out on meeting other pinball people by not playing on location.
    Yes, you can go to pin parties and meet others, but on location, you can do that any day you want.

I see people on here all the time lamenting "pinball is an expensive hobby."
    No, it is a cheap game. Probably $.50 - $1 if you are in the USA.

Please, support your local operators so that pinball can once again be relevant and not "Oh, they still make those."
    Just selling a few thousand pins a year to collectors does not make for a healthy pinball market. We need exponentially more players than collectors. But people cannot play what they do not come in contact with.

#2 9 years ago

Who are you to judge anyone for how they choose to enjoy pinball?

It's whatever anyone who enjoys it wants it to be. There isn't one way of doing it and we don't need you to be the "Pinball Pope" and show us the way.

Most of the games that are in private collections - operators didn't want them anymore! Should they have just gone in the dumpster?

#3 9 years ago

I'm in the process of figuring out how to put a few games on location in my town. I finally got a couple of insurance quotes (I figure this is important, there's probably enough risk of theft, damage, vandalism to warrant insurance). Now I just have to find locations to host, and work out a deal that makes financial sense.

Any tips for people who are putting stuff on location for the first time?

#5 9 years ago

Your heart is in the right place, but many points are debatable. I do agree on most of your points in concept.

As a person wanting to play out in the wild I need a properly set up, leveled, working game. Doesn't need to be perfect, and it can be filthy, but basic playability needs to be there. One of the best location games I played (a Police Force) had weak flippers and was filthy, but was still a blast to play.

Lighting and sound (the lack of any discernible callouts) can greatly affect the fun. It's a benefit to all that the operator make an effort. Install a headset mini jack and one of those problems is more or less solved.

#6 9 years ago

Thanks for putting pins out there, Chris. Any updates on games at the Alexandria Crave or more games back at Town Hall in time for Winter league?

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from Newsom:

duly noted.

#8 9 years ago

Thanks RH.

Who am I?
    I'm a location player.

Not a collector.

Collect on if y'all want to, but we NEED games on location.

#9 9 years ago

Id love to open up a pincade but Im not rich and if it dont make money or at least pay for its self well that would be very bad . True fully I dont know if it would work in my town I still have yet to find another person who likes it as much as me so doubt it would do well here.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from Newsom:

I'm a location player.

Not a collector.

Am I misunderstanding you? In your info, it says you have 37 games in your "collection". Are you an operator? Do you own these 37 games and have them all on location? Please explain.

#11 9 years ago

I'm unfamiliar with the OP. Do you have an arcade? If so, I'd like to see some pics. Don't see many arcades with 37 pins in it around SE PA.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from Newsom:

Thanks RH.
    Who am I?
    I'm a location player.
    Not a collector.
    Collect on if y'all want to, but we NEED games on location.

Fantastic. Shitting on collectors does nothing to accomplish your goal. We aren't "the enemy" of location play. Take it up with the locations and operators.

#13 9 years ago

No games at Alexandria yet.

Pinbot and TS are at TH. Along with AFM, WPT, SnS, and AC/DC.
    Shadow mini playfield is currently disabled as I need to put a new coil in. The drop target will give hits toward defeating Khan.

#14 9 years ago

Says the guy with 37 pins in his collection.

#15 9 years ago

Pinball is both a location game, and a home game. I played about 9 hours of location pinball yesterday. I happen to be one of the lucky ones that has quite a few machines within one to two hours. But seriously, how much fun was Iron Man with a Monger that cannot register a hit?!? How awesome is a WOZ that has a trough problem? How great is Transformers when each hit to Megatron causes you to wait for a ball search? How many balls need to get stuck in Ripley's before it gets frustrating? All of those happened to me yesterday. If I had keys to the games I'd have spent a half hour on each one and they would have been playing 10 times better. I also would have upgraded all the software.

Don't get me wrong, I had a blast on other games. A bad switch on AC/DC did not dampen the fun. I'm not expecting the games on location to be as nice as the ones in my house, but shouldn't I expect them to work?

Pinball is both a location game, and a home game. Both are fun, but man did that Transformers bug me.

#16 9 years ago

Locations here are ACTIVELY SKEPTICAL of pinball machines and we have to twist their arms to get them to put them in. There is not a single location advertising for people with pinball machines to operate them on the premises. I have my IMVE going on location in a week to help support a local guy trying to increase the number of location games in Sydney. We are on freaking PROBATION with the premises. Don't blame the collectors mate, for a second.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Says the guy with 37 pins in his collection.

It's not a collection, they go on location.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

I have an IMVE going on location in a week to help support a local guy trying to increase the number of location games in Sydney.

Sweet!

#19 9 years ago

You're absolutely correct. Pinball is a location game. Almost any location in the world.

0.jpg0.jpg
    #20 9 years ago
    Quoted from Newsom:

It's not a collection, they go on location.

That's admirable then. I hope you can stay on top of maintenance on them so that your customers have the best playing experience possible.

#21 9 years ago

Yea I think alot of the issue is ops dont wanna keep them maintained probably because they just dont make what they use to however its a double edge sword because if they dont play nice or work correctly they definitely wont make money guess there has to be a happy medium somewhere

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from Newsom:

The essence of pinball is to put in your $.50/$.75/$1. Euro, kronor, pound, whatever, press the start button, and go after the repay, high scores and GC. Playing with others on location is even better.
    Not a "hobby" where you play dress up with your games and line up dozens of them in the basement. Those basement pins could get hundreds of times the plays (and therefore provide hundreds of times the entertainment) if they were on location.
    No you didn't "save" that game when you took it off location and restored it and put it in your house.
    Some of my favorite posts here on Pinside talk about how clueless location players are.
    Guess where all of the best players that I know started off playing and got their skills from? I'll give you a hint: it wasn't from playing at someone's house.
    I'm sorry that your city/county/province/town is a pinball wasteland. Hopefully someone in your area will step up and put some out there for the public to enjoy. Yes, many of us (myself included) purchased these monsters when they were hard (almost impossible) to be found, but many of us then put them back out on the street.
    And even with all the pro, premium, LE, SE, etc., BS, pinball is still a location game.
    And spare me the "location pinball sucks/ I can't hear the game/ the location game wasn't leveled perfectly/ the lighting wasn't just right which caused me to miss my shot/ there was a dirt track in the inlane that made me not want to play/ the conditions were not ideal so I didn't want to play" comments.
    Yes, you can go to pin parties and meet others, but on location, you can do that any day you want.
    Please, support your local operators so that pinball can once again be relevant and not "Oh, they still make those."
    Just selling a few thousand pins a year to collectors does not make for a healthy pinball market. We need exponentially more players than collectors. But people cannot play what they do not come in contact with.

I'm taking my games off freeplay next time you're over.

#23 9 years ago

Chris, glad to see you are still fighting the good fight! I miss getting my ass kicked by you in Dallas!

Yes, the pinball INDUSTRY is driven by route operators. The industry is handicapped by bad operators. Many ops have let their pinball repair ability completely atrophy away. Mobile is indeed a pinball wasteland. I tried op-ing a pin with limited success. These days location is everything.

Don't be too hard on collectors. Once a game has served its time in the trenches and no longer earns enough, the OPs recoup some investment capital by selling to collectors. That also helps keep the industry going.

Even the NIB-HUO-LED-MOD-Blingers have their place in getting product sold.

I agree, and wish pinball was king of amusement games again with public rooms full of banks of pins. Maybe we'll get back there one decade. Your point is well taken and pin ops are saints IMO, but your delivery was a little rough around the edges.

Take is easy Chris, and I hope to see you at a show again one of these years.

KEEP ON OPING!!

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

You're absolutely correct. Pinball is a location game. Almost any location in the world.

0.jpg 12 KB

Though it will NEVER replace the real deal, apps like this keep pinball on the brain for me, for better or worse.

#25 9 years ago

Can't it be both?

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Pinball is both a location game, and a home game. I played about 9 hours of location pinball yesterday. I happen to be one of the lucky ones that has quite a few machines within one to two hours. But seriously, how much fun was Iron Man with a Monger that cannot register a hit?!? How awesome is a WOZ that has a trough problem? How great is Transformers when each hit to Megatron causes you to wait for a ball search? How many balls need to get stuck in Ripley's before it gets frustrating? All of those happened to me yesterday. If I had keys to the games I'd have spent a half hour on each one and they would have been playing 10 times better. I also would have upgraded all the software.
    Don't get me wrong, I had a blast on other games. A bad switch on AC/DC did not dampen the fun. I'm not expecting the games on location to be as nice as the ones in my house, but shouldn't I expect them to work?
    Pinball is both a location game, and a home game. Both are fun, but man did that Transformers bug me.

You didn't play 9 hours of broken pin right?

Yeah it's disappointing when location games break, but it happens.

#27 9 years ago

Chris- please place some pins in RVA.

#28 9 years ago

Ok. So what I'm getting is you have location pins at...various locations. That's cool. I really think you should have started your thread with several shots of people of various ages playing these pins. Not just a rant. Trust me, you'd be getting so many thumbs up, you wouldn't know where to stick em.

When my wife saw this REALLY old lady playing an Addams Family in Todd Tucky's York 2014 vid, she was all like "awe, that's so cute." And she couldn't give two shites about pinball. Appeal to the human spirit man. That location pinball spans the ages.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Chris- please place some pins in RVA.

And Hagerstown md ill even keep them fixed for you

#30 9 years ago

I go out and play pinball fairly regularly. I think I am going to just play my games for the month of January just in case the OP is in my area. This is the kind of pinball operator I would actively not support.

#31 9 years ago

I care less about thumbs downs than I do about WPPR points.

#32 9 years ago

A lot of ops I know started as home collectors till they figured how the games worked then stepped up to become ops.

I hate to see someone trying to learn to work on their first games on route

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Fantastic. Shitting on collectors does nothing to accomplish your goal. We aren't "the enemy" of location play. Take it up with the locations and operators.

Don't take it so personal. He has a valid point, just delivered it in a bit of an insulting/dismissive way. He wants what we all want: more pinball in the wild to enjoy. I know here in the Pinball Sahara I sure could use some route pins to play!

We can all get along...

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

Chris, glad to see you are still fighting the good fight! I miss getting my ass kicked by you in Dallas!
    Yes, the pinball INDUSTRY is driven by route operators. The industry is handicapped by bad operators. Many ops have let their pinball repair ability completely atrophy away. Mobile is indeed a pinball wasteland. I tried op-ing a pin with limited success. These days location is everything.
    Don't be too hard on collectors. Once a game has served its time in the trenches and no longer earns enough, the OPs recoup some investment capital by selling to collectors. That also helps keep the industry going.
    Even the NIB-HUO-LED-MOD-Blingers have their place in getting product sold.
    I agree, and wish pinball was king of amusement games again with public rooms full of banks of pins. Maybe we'll get back there one decade. Your point is well taken and pin ops are saints IMO, but your delivery was a little rough around the edges.
    Take is easy Chris, and I hope to see you at a show again one of these years.
    KEEP ON OPING!!

You are right, location is everything.

Kudos to you for routing games!

I'll have to get down your way again, maybe to the TPF one of these years.

And all you collectors, play some location pin.

#35 9 years ago

Newsom,

My first game is Gottlieb Out Of Sight. Tell me what operator is willing to put a 40 year old game out on location? The story on this game is that arcade owner closed his business and gave this game to his nephew. Its new location was his parents finished basement where it was played for a while. Then it sat neglected for years needing to be shopped out. I bought it about 4 years ago and that's how my collection began.

Bob E.

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from bob_e:

Newsom,
    My first game is Gottlieb Out Of Sight. Tell me what operator is willing to put a 40 year old game out on location? The story on this game is that arcade owner closed his business and gave this game to his nephew. Its new location was his parents finished basement where it was played for a while. Then it sat neglected for years needing to be shopped out. I bought it about 4 years ago and that's how my collection began.
    Bob E.

I'd operate it.

#37 9 years ago

It might be worth noting that if not for home collectors pinball manufacturing would have died some years ago.

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from Nexyss:

I go out and play pinball fairly regularly. I think I am going to just play my games for the month of January just in case the OP is in my area. This is the kind of pinball operator I would actively not support.

You are breaking my heart.

I live nowhere near NV, so feel free to drop coin on location.

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from Newsom:

You are right, location is everything.
    Kudos to you for routing games!
    I'll have to get down your way again, maybe to the TPF one of these years.
    And all you collectors, play some location pin.

Atlanta. The Southern Fried Gameroom Expo. June, I think...

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from Nexyss:

From his past post sounds like he's in VA area so I think you're fine

#41 9 years ago

The home use market is what has allowed some of the new locations to happen. If you take away the people playing in there homes pinball would likely already be dead. The popularity with home buyers are why you see new barcades opening up all of the time. So bash the home use market all you want but you likely would not have your location games with out us.

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

The home use market is what has allowed some of the new locations to happen. If you take away the people playing in there homes pinball would likely already be dead. The popularity with home buyers are why you see new barcades opening up all of the time. So bash the home use market all you want but you likely would not have your location games with out us.

The vast majority of people playing on location do not own pins.

I would suggest that people owning pins means less coin drop on location, as they play at home instead.

#43 9 years ago

Interesting thoughts, I can see that the reception to those comments is about right for a site that doesn't cater to players as much as it does to collecting. I'm here because I need the occasional tech support for my "collection" which exists due to a lack of places to play on location. I will never have $50k in Sterns machines in the basement but congrats to those who do. I'll keep my retirement in a couple of real investments and I'll find places to play them on location. I was back in my hometown this past week and my son and I spent several hours on location, we dropped about the same $ as a tune-up kit for one of my machines.
    Have I considered taking my hobby to a business level... sure, but for a number of reasons it isn't going to happen as long as I'm otherwise employed with frequent travel involved.

I get what you are saying and I guess I agree but I'm not sure you reached (or convinced) a large audience here.

#44 9 years ago

I have scoured everyplace i visit for pins to play. On vacation, yep always looking for pins in the wild. Ive visited every pin in a 50 mile radius of my house.

You know what i find... A few playable gems here or there. But mostly a broken half playable waste of money where mechs dont work, ball troughs loose track of balls causing famtom drains. And my fav are games that are powered off for months at a time, making it a complete wasted trip...

But i usually drop a couple bucks in the machines even if they are barely playable....

Know where i find playable enjoyable pinball.... Yep thats right in my basement

I think there is room for both collectors and locations pinball.

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from Newsom:

#46 9 years ago
    Quoted from Newsom:

My basement is a location...

Are you a purist about the intraweb as well? It's not supposed to be for the public, this is a government tool only made of punch cards and thermionic tubes!

Get with the times grampa!

#47 9 years ago

Amusement park rides are a location game too.

maxresdefault.jpgmaxresdefault.jpg
    #48 9 years ago

This is very similar to the "Watch the game at home vs. Go to the game" debate. Yes, going to the game can offer an experience that can't be had at home. It's not as comfortable, you can't see as well, and it costs money. But, it's an experience. On the other hand, I can order a pizza, drink cheap(er) beverages, sit on my leather recliner, and watch the game in surround sound with a buddy. It's more comfortable, I can see better than the referees can, and it's less expensive.

I, for one, love playing pinball on location. The only issue is that there is only one pinball machine on location in my town. So, do I take the 10 minute trek up to the back of the truckstop to play RollerCoaster Tycoon? Sure... every once in a while. But, I'd much rather stay at home, drink a cold one, and play my (less impressive but still fun) Bobby Orr Power Play. And, when space allows, I'll invest in a few more machines to add variety.

#49 9 years ago
    Quoted from Thunder424:

This is very similar to the "Watch the game at home vs. Go to the game" debate. Yes, going to the game can offer an experience that can't be had at home. It's not as comfortable, you can't see as well, and it costs money. But, it's an experience. On the other hand, I can order a pizza, drink cheap(er) beverages, sit on my leather recliner, and watch the game in surround sound with a buddy. It's more comfortable, I can see better than the referees can, and it's less expensive.
    I, for one, love playing pinball on location. The only issue is that there is only one pinball machine on location in my town. So, do I take the 10 minute trek up to the back of the Truck Stop to play Rollercoaster Tycoon? Sure... every once in a while. But, I'd much rather stay at home, drink a cold one, and play my (less impressive but still fun) Bobby Orr Power Play. And, when space allows, I'll invest in a few more machines to add variety.

I think BOPP is more impressive than RCT.

In many cases playing on location is cheaper than playing at home.

How many times do we see games FS here that were only played a couple hundred times? Games that were bought NIB, then shipped, and are now selling for hundreds less than their original cost.

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from Newsom:

The vast majority of people playing on location do not own pins.
    I would suggest that people owning pins means less coin drop on location, as they play at home instead.

I own a ton of games but when I am on location I still play a ton. I would bet most people are in the same boat.

There are 174 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-is-a-location-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.