3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 97 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Langless28
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20160529_164339_004_(resized).jpg
    IMG_20130412_125103_517_(resized).jpg
    images_(resized).jpg
    images_(resized).jpg
    c3a69a7e9717abca7346e2d9154ca06739e7612c3f6eebb55c544020ff8cd598_(resized).jpg

There are 97 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 3 years ago

I put my 50 cents in, then notice there are 4 stuck balls on the playfield.

#52 3 years ago

The only time a bulb will pop loose, an acorn nut will fall off, or something else will come loose is when I am finally having an epic ball.

#53 3 years ago
    Quoted from Archytas:

Medieval Madness: Practice around 45 million, respectable score. Actual tournament game: 938,000 points. 2 failed super skill shots which shortly drained followed by playing it safe and the ball just dove for the outlane

Scary thing is though, that your score was only 3rd bottom! (plus it was only 904k)

#54 3 years ago

Tournament sucks. The machine knows, and makes you it's bitch

#55 3 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

....That even bringing home the LEDs I need, I am always a few short of what I need!
    The Irony!

LED store owner doesn't have enough LEDs.. This may be the first post that's actually ironic!

images_(resized).jpg

#56 3 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

It's like Drai-ey-aiiiiins
    In your tourney play
    It's a free gaaaaame
    When you've already payed
    It's the wizard mooooode
    That you can't activate
    And who doesn't blame
    The flippers

Didn't read this... I sang it in my head.

#57 3 years ago

It's like Drai-ey-aiiiiins
    In your tourney play
    It's a free gaaaaame
    When you've already payed
    It's the wizard mooooode
    That you can't activate
    And who doesn't blame
    The flippers

We have a winner. But .... Mate.... Do the whole song in pinball language.

#58 3 years ago

P.s ..love an odd tread. This is a good one. Cheers TKDALMKMKk what have ya... Dude love ya .... Get a better handle.

#59 3 years ago

huahuahuahua... nice thread.... ALL TRUE!!!!

#60 3 years ago
    Quoted from WJxxxx:

Scary thing is though, that your score was only 3rd bottom! (plus it was only 904k)

Damnit Wayne I forgot you were here

#61 3 years ago

I can last forever on FF in STTNG when I don't have hardly any artifacts. But 7 or 8+? Forget it, the mode ends as soon as the ball save light goes out and I've collected almost no jackpots. Multi-drain.

#62 3 years ago
    Quoted from mickthepin:

Do the whole song in pinball language.

Ugh, be careful what you wish for? It's been a while since I was in this odd of a mood, but I took a few cues from the comments here...

"Pin-ronic"

A pinhead coined up the hall
    He set Grand Champion then bricked his next ball
    It's a jackpot missed in multiball
    It's a single diode that causes downfall
    And isn't it ironic, don't you think

It's like Drai-ey-aiiiiins In your tourney play
    It's a free gaaaaame When you've already payed
    It's the wizard mooooode That you can't activate
    And who doesn't blame The flippers

Mr. OCD was afraid to share
    He waxed his playfields and tweaked his mechs with care
    Invited all his friends by to play their picks
    And as the games broke down he thought
    "Well sonuvabich"
    And isn't it pin-ronic, don't you think?

It's cheap drai-ey-aiiiiins In your tourney play
    And who doesn't blame
    The flippers

Well pins have a funny way of smacking down on you
    When you think your shooting's on point and everything's rolling right
    Well pins have a funny way egging you on
    when you think everything's gone wrong cuz and every shot leads to the outlanes

An extra ball if you're gonna be late
    A no scoring plunge follows monster ball pace!
    It's like 10000 loops when all you need is a lock
    It's missing the pin of your dreams
    When all this time it was just down the block
    And isn't it ironic, don't you think?
    A little too pin-ronic, yeah we really should drink!

It's crap drai-ey-aiiiiins In your tourney play

Pins have a funny way of smacking down on you
    Pins have a funny funny way of egging you on
    Egging you on...

#63 3 years ago

Ironic is someone who talks crap on his podcast about people trying to flip pins at the Allentown show...
    Then bragging about how he is selling his GBLE (pre-order) on Ebay for $13K.
    I actually enjoy his commentary, but that is it no more podcast episodes for me.

ebay.com link » Nib Stern Ghostbusters Le Pinball Machine

#64 3 years ago

Ugh, be careful what you wish for? It's been a while since I was in this odd of a mood, but I took a few cues from the comments here...
    "Pin-ronic"
    A pinhead coined up the hall
    He set Grand Champion then bricked his next ball
    It's a jackpot missed in multiball
    It's a single diode that causes downfall
    And isn't it ironic, don't you think
    It's like Drai-ey-aiiiiins In your tourney play
    Mr. OCD was afraid to share
    He waxed his playfields and tweaked his mechs with care
    Invited all his friends by to play their picks
    And as the games broke down he thought
    "Well sonuvabich"
    And isn't it pin-ronic, don't you think?
    It's cheap drai-ey-aiiiiins In your tourney play
    And who doesn't blame
    The flippers
    Well pins have a funny way of smacking down on you
    When you think your shooting's on point and everything's rolling right
    Well pins have a funny way egging you on
    when you think everything's gone wrong cuz and every shot leads to the outlanes
    An extra ball if you're gonna be late
    A no scoring plunge follows monster ball pace!
    And isn't it ironic, don't you think?
    A little too pin-ronic, yeah we really should drink!
    It's crap drai-ey-aiiiiins In your tourney play
    Pins have a funny way of smacking down on you
    Pins have a funny funny way of egging you on
    Egging you on...

Post of the year.

#65 3 years ago

"Pin-ronic"

images_(resized).jpg

#66 3 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

Besides the obvious, "I was one shot away from X, and then drained" (which is always for me), what are some other ironic happenings in pinball?
    I'll start...never fails that if I have somewhere to be and tell myself just one game, it always ends up being an amazing game and I'm now late! Every time I swear.

+1

#67 3 years ago
    Quoted from azpinguy:

Ironic is someone who talks crap on his podcast about people trying to flip pins at the Allentown show...
    Then bragging about how he is selling his GBLE (pre-order) on Ebay for $13K.
    I actually enjoy his commentary, but that is it no more podcast episodes for me.
    ebay.com link ยป Nib Stern Ghostbusters Le Pinball Machine

13K with 85.7 feedback = $0000 in sales.

#68 3 years ago

Make him an offer to suck a bag of dicks

#69 3 years ago

I'm not seeing many examples of situational irony here. Let me see if I can can help with an example:

I installed an nvSRAM in my WPC game so I could avoid possible battery damage later. But I did a shitty soldering job and somehow made the board stop booting. I damaged the board in the process of trying to prevent damage. That's irony.

#70 3 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I'm not seeing many examples of situational irony here. Let me see if I can can help with an example:
    I installed an nvSRAM in my WPC game so I could avoid possible battery damage later. But I did a shitty soldering job and somehow made the board stop booting. I damaged the board in the process of trying to prevent damage. That's irony.

Is it? Or is that coincidence because the actuality of nvsram preventing battery damage, and your soldering job are two separate events. Now if the nvsram itself caused damage to the board, that is ironic. Or if you are teacher of how to solder properly and botched your own solder job, that would be ironic too, as neither would be what you would expect. Or did I just confuse myself for a next level irony?

This scenario makes sense to me for coincidence vs. irony (one I found online and modified).
    Don the drunk is playing pinball. Paul the patron is walking around the bar. Wayne the witness is waiting for Don the drunk to finish his game so that he can have his turn to play. An event happens where beer is spilled all over the pinball machine that Don the drunk is playing. Bill the bouncer walks up and says, "Well, it's pretty clear what happened here. Drunks are a problem." However, Paul the patron was more to blame than Don the drunk. Paul was texting on his phone and not paying attention, causing him to plow into Don while he was taking a drink, thus Don falling over and spilling his beer. Though Don was drunk, there was nothing he could do to avoid spilling the beer. Wayne being the witness responded to the Bill the bouncer saying, "Ironically, Bill, Paul is more to blame than Don, even though that's not what you would expect. It's really a coincidence that Paul wasn't paying attention and ran into a drunk player."

#71 3 years ago

If a Punchy the Clown falls off a truck and kills someone, is that ironic?

#72 3 years ago
    Quoted from Outlane-Avoider:

The hard earned, but not yet collected Extra Ball or Special insert light still winking away as the last ball drains, the playfield goes dark and the match sequence starts on games such as AC/DC.

Along the same lines, losing a ball while trying to get the extra ball. If I would have concentrated on the objectives instead of trying to snag the extra ball, I most likely would have ended up with a higher score.

#73 3 years ago

What happens to me a lot is that I do get the extra ball but end up losing the current ball right after, without even having the chance to flip it again...

#74 3 years ago

Wanting to get to wizard modes..... Hate being called "Pinball Wizard"

#75 3 years ago

I think the bulk of the problem with determining irony vs coincidence is the very fact that Alanis Morissette's song "Ironic" is comprised almost entirely of mere coincidences... About the only thing ironic is the title! No ill will wished upon to the poster who rewrote the song with pinball themes, that was cool.

#76 3 years ago

It's ironic that I hate that stupidass song, and now it is stuck in my freakin head.

#77 3 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

If a Punchy the Clown falls off a truck and kills someone, is that ironic?

No. But if a Rescue 911 falls off a truck and kills someone it is ironic.

#78 3 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

No. But if a Rescue 911 falls off a truck and kills someone it is ironic.

Still coincidence.

#79 3 years ago

Wondering why my kids spend 'so much money' on a new video game for their Xbox....

#80 3 years ago

I know this is more "unlikely" than ironic, but it's all I got.....

IMG_20130412_125103_517_(resized).jpg

Actual Pinburgh match from 2 or 3 years ago!

#81 3 years ago

I find it ironic that an em guy would be calling anything old and dated

#82 3 years ago

It's like 10,000 loops,
    when all I need is a lock.
    It's like buying the pin of my dreams,
    that's never built by Jpop.

#83 3 years ago

I posted my thoughts first and then read the thread. We think alike. You poor bastard.

#84 3 years ago

Bagatelle had "pins" but wasn't called pinball..

Nowadays games don't have pins, yet we call it pinball.

#85 3 years ago

The final nail in the "proper use of irony" coffin was the "ironic" death of Paul Walker in a supercar accident. An actually ironic death for him would have been via bike or horseback.

#86 3 years ago

A mate of my uncle s that was in Vietnam with him survived the war and came home only to die in a hunting accident. Any amount of purpose aimed guns could have taken his life, but in the end a stupid accident with one got him.

#87 3 years ago

Waiting and looking for a certain game forever and when one pops up,its overpriced. If you get it anyway, another nicer one for less will be for sale soon.........

#88 3 years ago

My wife offered up this definition of irony over breakfast:

"I'm not feeling irony, so those clothes can just stay wrinkled up in that basket."

#89 3 years ago

I'd say my biggest pinball irony is during league, where I would think that being chosen to play a game that I also own would be to my advantage, what with knowing the shots and the rules, but my brain is apparently too fine-tuned to my particular example, throwing off all... rhythm. Multiple brick-drains follow, and much hilarity ensues.

See the reversal of expectations? That's what irony generally is taken to mean, regarding situations. Ironically, I seem to do worse on titles I own.

Actual irony is too special somehow, too intellectually satisfying perhaps, to be lumped in with mere coincidences. Your mind gets this extra "I'm in on it" reward, for noticing the flip.

I'd hope my effort to shed some light on what the fuss is about would be appreciated. But I also expect I might get some comments that will make that idea seem ironic! First, please note I did not say anything about any of the previously given examples as to their possible lack of irony, or ironicness, or ironicity. I only wish to educate.

Found this on the subject. I like his style:
    http://theoatmeal.com/comics/irony
    (I think the "your" guy was being ironic, though)

#90 3 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I'd say my biggest pinball irony is during league, where I would think that being chosen to play a game that I also own would be to my advantage, what with knowing the shots and the rules, but my brain is apparently too fine-tuned to my particular example, throwing off all... rhythm. Multiple brick-drains follow, and much hilarity ensues.
    See the reversal of expectations? That's what irony generally is taken to mean, regarding situations. Ironically, I seem to do worse on titles I own.

Funny thing. That is actually very common, almost universal! So, not very ironic at all!

#91 3 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Funny thing. That is actually very common, almost universal! So, not very ironic at all!

Indeed, I have talked to others who agree it happens to them too. It's still ironic, though; the reversal of expectations happened, it has nothing to do with how common it is, or with simple coincidence, as I explained.

#92 3 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

...maybe just bad soldering irony technique!

1 week later
    #93 3 years ago

Double Post...

#94 3 years ago
    Quoted from Archytas:

Yes tournaments are a big one for me as well in terms of things going wrong. Example at my last meet playing a Medieval Madness: Practice around 45 million, respectable score. Actual tournament game: 938,000 points. 2 failed super skill shots which shortly drained followed by playing it safe and the ball just dove for the outlane.
    Followed up by TAF: Practice toured the mansion and got high score 3, 253 million points. Tournament game: 4 million points, bricked every electric chair shot and had it drain each time.

...And the same thing happened to me on the same MM at a league meet last weekend. Just 2.4 million with four balls, and I ended up last out of 27 players - including a couple of young kids who had entered the tournament as well.

The irony of this - It was on my own personal machine that is currently on loan to a friend who was hosting the meet!

#95 3 years ago
    Quoted from Outlane-Avoider:

...And the same thing happened to me on the same MM at a league meet last weekend. Just 2.4 million with four balls, and I ended up last out of 27 players - including a couple of young kids who had entered the tournament as well.
    The irony of this - It was on my own personal machine that is currently on loan to a friend who was hosting the meet!

Now that is ironic.

#96 3 years ago

Irony is winning the UK Cup this weekend, one of the prizes I won was an electric shaver!
    (I'm the one on the right)

20160529_164339_004_(resized).jpg

#97 3 years ago

Relatively new owner of a high speed. My mom visited my kids this weekend and wanted to play pinball. She never played as a kid and didn't even know to rule set. Now I have to look at her initials as #1 high score holder from now on with 4.5m. What is that!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 189.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 199.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Lit Frames
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 51.45
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 349.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 1,199.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Great American Pinball
    $ 1,400.00
    $ 12.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Medisinyl Mods
    There are 97 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside