12 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by toyotaboy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

Building off another thread started on the actual silver balls. Curious. With the start of LCDs being incorporated into pinball machines, why not incorporate right smack dab in the middle of the playfield. Think the AC/DC LE pins with the second playfield, why not have that where an LCD sits and the game taunts you or interacts with the player during different mods while playing?

Now granted it may get crazy to see the ball at times but if programmed right (i.e. like hit a ramp shot and Hulk saves IM from falling in Avengers - sorry had to) it could work. When animation not on it goes back to standard shoot here and here. That way in modes the player actual sees the results rather than looking up on the scoreboard but creativity in playfield animation could get wild.

#2 12 years ago

that is a good idea that could be developed.

#3 12 years ago

Check this out, they have a working prototype.

http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/p3/index.html

#4 12 years ago

I am of the agreement an LCD screen in the playfield can work if done right. Not to be overused but to integrate with the game and shots with cool videos. I think you'll see it soon enough

#5 12 years ago

agreed there BB

heres my thoughts from the "whats your theme thread" with a PF LCD application idea

REDBULL Extreme Sports

choose discipline
    F1
    Air Race
    MX freestyle
    Snowboard downhill
    Skateboarding
    etc etc

have rotating banks of PF toys that action like the BOP face
    or the pyramid in Alien V Predator

high score dispenses a free RB like a vend machine

attract mode on LCD in headbox plays Redbull extreme sport
    highlights

awesome

mods : receive "rom updates" & can change out toys to suit
    favourite sports

i think a LCD window cftbl lagoon style would be gold to
    change the PF " art" from dirt to snow to tarmac etc to
    coincide with the Extreme mode you are in

the "i-ball" pinBALL innovation idea stems from that as a way of implementing "ball control"
    by incorporating magnetic coils into the PF

you would need a perspex aperature to see the PF mounted LCD but could flush mount coils
    in it to freeze / redirect / levitate the ball

cheers

DR

#6 12 years ago
    Quoted from chipleader:

Check this out, they have a working prototype.

Totally awesome - that's what I'm talking about. Thanks for posting the link. That's innovation.

#7 12 years ago

I like the LCD being used for motion effects (like in the demo where boulders explode). I don't want the LCD becoming part of the game (having to shoot at virtual objects like P2000). With that said, maybe it makes more sense rather than having one giant LCD screen, to put a few mini ones in front of targets (for cool explosions). I also would like to see the scoring moved closer to the playfield. It's so hard to watch the screen and the action on the playfield, merging them together would make for a much better experience (seems that's what ben and pop are doing). I don't want LCD to replace a major portion of the playfield, just enhance it here and there. Of course that begs the question, what eventually becomes of the backglass if there is no longer a scoring mechanism? Does it simply become a piece of glass artwork and speakers?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-innovation-2-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.