6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by LTG
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0256.JPG
    IMAG1299.jpg
    photo_(3).JPG
    WP_000227.jpg
    tilt.jpg

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

I've noticed that I have a calous on my thumbs where I 'grip' the top of the table and do a little nudging (ok, a lot of nudging)... Just a little spot type calous, it's kind of weird.

Made me wonder, does anyone have some good injury stories from playing pinball?

#2 6 years ago

I've managed to whack myself in the nuts with the gun handle of my LW3 several times.

#3 6 years ago

After I got my first pin I played it so hard my forearms hurt like hell. Couldn't even play the next day.

#4 6 years ago

My right elbow gets tendinitis from nudging. Maybe I need a different stance.

#5 6 years ago

I was playing operator and caught a Judge Dredd falling off a truck - does that count ?

LTG : )

#6 6 years ago

+1 to the nuts injury...lol. Damn those pins with gun shooter handles.

#7 6 years ago

The most serious injury is usually to my pride.....

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from schwarz:

After I got my first pin I played it so hard my forearms hurt like hell. Couldn't even play the next day.

Dude, I feel so much better after reading this. And all this time I thought I was a wimp.

#9 6 years ago

Hey,

Not so much from playing, but I was moving a T2 on a dolly. Got the body in the door, and then realized the head was too wide to fit without removing the door. As we were pushing this thing back out the door, the dolly rotated backward and the game fell on my kneecap. That really, REALLY hurt. Don't do that.

Luke

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I was playing operator and caught a Judge Dredd falling off a truck - does that count ?
    LTG : )

I was helping with the load-in at PPE a few years ago and almost dropped one off the truck ramp. The ramp was swaying badly and I could feel that I was starting to lose it so rather than try any macho stuff I just started yelling HELP HELP HELP and four guys came running. Unfortunately, they started righting it in the wrong direction so now it was widebody + four people against me. OTHER WAY! I yelled.

We got it down safely, and the documentary crew filmed the whole thing. I figured I was destined for internet embarrassment after that. To counteract the game and four people I shouldered into the game and got all scraped up. My right arm was black and blue from my shoulder to my wrist.

The following year I ran the tournament and when I showed up, Special Force was being held together with clamps in the tourney room. It was being glued back together after being dropped.

#11 6 years ago

Lol at hitting yourself with the gun. What are you doing over that far lol.

Ok, I'm definitely not whining about a caloused thumb after hearing your story jonyo... that must have been one nasty looking bruise!

#12 6 years ago

An almost-injury for me. Helping my cousin move a TMNT. It was in a basement- very expensive carpet and tight stairs. Had to take it out of a back door with an unfinished deck on a rainy day. House is on a steep hill, door was about 4 feet off the ground. Slipped moving it out the door, the machine was barely hinging on the edge of the door stop, my cousin doing everything to keep it from falling onto of me. Somehow he got a hold of it before it could tilt over and fall on me. There might have been an inch of the pin still on the door stop. I recovered in time to keep it from sliding off. I would have been a goner for sure! And the recipient of a Darwin Award!

#13 6 years ago

Lol at hitting yourself with the gun. What are you doing over that far lol.
    Ok, I'm definitely not whining about a caloused thumb after hearing your story jonyo... that must have been one nasty looking bruise!

The gun sticks out so much farther than a regular plunger. So just imagine, people are over, you're playing a 4-player game, you've had a few drinks, you try to slide out of the way for the next player and...

tilt.jpg

#14 6 years ago

I was working under a STTNG and I had the PF propped up on the prop rod. (I know, I know we shouldn't use the prop rod).
    My right elbow knocked the prop rod off and the PF came crashing down on my head. The sling assembly gave me a pretty nice gash/cut on the top of my head.

#15 6 years ago

When concentrating while playing, I often get an unintentional aerobic workout from my body-english - I'm jumpin' - I'm swaying - squating - I'll kick either leg in any directions but usually straight back and this has resluted nailing innocent by standers - nothing bad, usually afrim bump that suprizes both of us. No one's been hurt, a bit embarrassing though.
    Twisted my back so much playing one afternoon I has to lay low for a few days - that hurt.

#16 6 years ago

I was working on my JP with the play field up, and for some reason it started to fall, so of course I stuck my arm out to catch it...well, a tie wrap dug into my arm and left about a 8 inch gash. Probably should have gotten stitches, it's healing up but I'll have a hell of a scar. Saved the machine though...

WP_000227.jpg

#17 6 years ago

Working on my SWT with the playfield up and crash onto my head. Just a chunk of skin with no blood.

#18 6 years ago

when i first got my pin I played so much my wrists hurt.

#19 6 years ago

Heels, my heels kill me! I'm the kind of player that barely touches the buttons so I've never had hands/arm pain, but man do my heels hurt after a good day of playing!

#20 6 years ago

My wife tweaked her back helping me carry a Monster Bash into my game room...not sure if that counts (she was pissed at me)

#21 6 years ago

I never realized that the raised playfield had caused so much pain... that picture, ouch!

#22 6 years ago

I was picking up a machine from flat on the floor to upright, it slipped out of my hand at about the 3 ft mark and landed on my foot. Hit so hard it didn't hurt. Blood leeching through my shoe within minutes. Then it started to hurt. Blew my toe nails off, and did some mangling. Got pics but its just wrong. Beat that!

#23 6 years ago

Nothin really painfull from playing, but some of you e-m guys can probably relate to this:
    * picking up off the floor and/or lowering down a 4-player head for a 70's Gottlieb e-m.
    I've strained my back or pulled a muscle a couple times doing that in the past.

My brain hurts after a full weekend of playing pinball at Tx Pinball Fest, and at the Houston Arcade & Pinball Expo.

ovfd,
    You made me lock-up and cringe after reading about that painful episode. You know it can't be good when you see blood soaking thru your shoes. Ouch!

#24 6 years ago

ovfd...I don't think there are many that could top that...I think you should post a pic, just for the shock value....

#25 6 years ago

hit the leg of my pinball machine in between the little toe and the next toe up and enjoying a black little inside toe. Was very painful.... especially to walk

#26 6 years ago

I can't beat blood pouring into your shoe, but I can at least attest to getting a bloody injury from actual play. While attempting to nudge Fan-Tas-Tic's lockdown bar from the front, while being incredibly angry at the same time, I managed to tear a hunk of skin out of my wrist, and a nice long gash up my arm, on the edge of the shooter handle. I was so angry with the game, I didn't even notice until a friend of mine pointed out that I was bleeding on the white sideart.

#27 6 years ago

Thread should be renamed "pinjuries"...

I have formed ganglion cysts in my wrists from playing. Painful to bend back the wrist and nudge the game. Google it for a pic. You have to wait until the sucker is ripe aka big enough and whack it with a decent size book to burst it. That's the really painful part, but 10 minutes later I can play for real again. They are called Bible bumps because you have to hit them with the good book to get rid of them...

#28 6 years ago

Moved a pin up a flight of stairs by my one-self with no dolly. Got some sore muscles from that.

#29 6 years ago

2am visit to hospital ofter IJ handle dug into my skull (looking for tools on the floor).

Same IJ handle smashed into thigh/groin area, swelling and bruising my right nad badly.

Tron glass exploding in my face whilst handling it for cleaning.

Surprise STTNG electrocution mod by previous owner.

Finger nail crush/removal thanks to laziness in selecting a set of legs from the middle pile of many rusty ones.

Finger trap and crush injury sustained in the playfield support bracket of a CV.

#30 6 years ago

Not from playing, but got this nasty little blood blister yesterday rebuilding the flippers on my Diner. Got a nice pinch trying to loosen up the darn plunger bracket that I don't think had ever been loosened from that flipper bat.

photo_(3).JPG

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from Don1:

I never realized the realized that the raised playfield had caused so much pain... that picture, ouch!

You can see where it bounced..lol

#32 6 years ago

I got a huge splinter from moving some pins into the house once. I pulled the large piece that was sticking out from my finger and saw that it left a piece deep in there, I figured it would just work itself out. Well a few days later my finger starts to swell so I decided I better get that thing out. I get a needle and dig out a really big splinter. A couple hours later my finger is twice the size it was and I can no longer move it. My wife decides, since I would have never of gone in on my own, I better go and get it looked at. They take an x-ray and see that there is a piece still deep in there near the joint of my finger. So the Dr. gives me three injections of Novocain in my finger, which makes it plump up even bigger and makes it look like a bratwurst. He proceeds to cut my finger open and dig the rest out. He eventually finds it, but before he wraps it up he has to make two more incisions at the top and bottom of my finger to help relieve the swelling and the pressure. So make sure you take care of those pin splinters! If you don't you could end up loosing one of your flipper fingers.

IMAG1299.jpg

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from bluevegas:

I got a huge splinter from moving some pins into the house once. I pulled the large piece that was sticking out from my finger .

Oh Snap!

#34 6 years ago

numb fingers from slap saves and also sore back from nudging bsd.

on a related subject, a fellow pinsider got bit by my BSD when he was fixing something on it for me. It's the only time he's been bit by a pin and he's been in this hobby awhile.

#35 6 years ago

During the frantic endgame part(unlimited multiball) in Black Knight, I wasn't able to get the balls out of the shooter. Was even getting 2 balls in the shooter lane. The classic "push the plunger" hurts the palm of one's hand. You might look cool doing it, but it can hurt.

Also, in 1991, a T2 machine, MN state fair: I moved my hand from the sides of the machine up, rubbing a little to close to it. It cut my hand on the metal edge and was bleeding a bit for the rest of the day.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bbismuth:

I get the same thing in my left elbow.

Worst one so far was while working on it and rested my hand on the soldering iron... way to pay attention.

.. as for all the nut shots, i feel like your playing pinball wrong

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from bluevegas:

He eventually finds it, but before he wraps it up he has to make two more incisions at the top and bottom

That's the worst circumcision I've ever seen.

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from jonpin:

Thread should be renamed "pinjuries"...blockquote>

Nice, and done!

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from Russo121:

Surprise STTNG electrocution mod by previous owner.

ROFL surprise... that's a hillarious way to describe it

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from bluevegas:

So make sure you take care of those pin splinters! If you don't you could end up loosing one of your flipper fingers.

Wearing leather gloves everytime I move a pin from now till eternity... Check!!!

#41 6 years ago

I will always take it with a grain of salt when someone says they put their blood sweat and tears into a pin.

#42 6 years ago

I got a pretty good gash on my forehead working on a Guns N Roses last year. The Data East games just don't have a very good sliding mechanism and it even worse on a wide body. I was pulling it all the way out to work inside and it just slid right off the tracks. Not wanting to damage the playfield I caught it with my head. The playfield was fine though.

#43 6 years ago

I've caused myself to bleed a handful times while working on pins. It's generally from doing something extremely stupid.

#44 6 years ago

I had tendinitis from years of abuse in another sport. However playing alot of pinball brings it back.

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wickedbass:

I had tendinitis from years of abuse in another sport. However playing alot of pinball brings it back.

So masturbation is a "sport" now?

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

So masturbation is a "sport" now?

Surprisingly that doesnt aggravate the tendinitis. But 15 years of jujitsu did...go figure.

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bbismuth:

I have this problem in my left. Bothers me so much some days that I wonder if I should stop playing.

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I've caused myself to bleed a handful times while working on pins. It's generally from doing something extremely stupid.

This.

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from paragon66x:

I have this problem in my left. Bothers me so much some days that I wonder if I should stop playing.

Ice it before if you can, and ive found that the arm band with the gell pressure point really helps a lot. I feel your pain, somedays i can even lift my beer.

#50 6 years ago

I just posted this on another thread today. My fridge cart allowed my previous TAF to get released down my stairs like a locomotive, taking out the railing, wall, and smashing to shit at the bottom, almost killing the guy helping me... someone I met here on pinside too.

Since then, I have started strapping the bottom of the cart, across the neck of the cab. I've thought of welding on an extension to the bottom plate as well, but it doesn't move at all now with the extra strap.

I STRONGLY suggest another strap is used on these. I must have moved 60-70 of these things without issue, but the guy buying lifted the rear over the top nose of the stair too much (my error, as I just said lift up, when I should have clarified just enough to clear the nose) and lifted it high enough to allow enough movement with the single strap built into this cart for the bottom of the machine to clear the bottom plate. I was in complete shock after.

NOT a happy day that was... Yes it's repaired, and he still bought it after, and the least amount of damage and no injury that could possibly be dreamed given the situation. Literally a miracle.

Don't let this be a possibly for you, strap the bottom of these things!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 72.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 30.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 4.00
    Electronics
    Z-connector (24 pin) Out of stock
    Professor Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Mod Co.
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 84.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 40.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 64.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 15.00
    $ 10.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Lee's Parts
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 40.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Metalhead Pinball
    $ 20.00
    $ 209.99
    There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside