Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by Hench4Life
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

What are the best places to play pinball around the Detroit area? I'm just across the border in Windsor, Ontario, so I'm looking for places that are within a 1-2 hour drive of the border. Looking for places with the best quality, well maintained games, with the volume on the pins turned up loud enough that you can hear them. (I've been to too many places in Canada where the games are almost silent and drowned out by the house music).

I'd even drive out to Flint/Saginaw area if the game selection is good enough.

Looking for mostly modern LCD-era games, though 90s era Bally/Williams are always nice to see if they are well maintained.

Due to covid, I haven't been able to cross the border in 2 years so I'm out of touch with Michigan pinball, so if somebody could give me a run down of places around Metro Detroit (or reasonable driving distance of Detroit), that would be amazing.

#2 2 years ago

Marvin’s Marvolus mechanical museum,!

#3 2 years ago

Use Pinball Map app.
    Fraser, Ann Arbor, Chesterfield, Detroit, Utica
    All have an establishment with lots of games.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from rockrand:

Marvin’s Marvolus mechanical museum,!

Appreciate the suggestion. I saw that on the pinside map and looked interesting

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from SR230CC:

Use Pinball Map app.
    Fraser, Ann Arbor, Chesterfield, Detroit, Utica
    All have an establishment with lots of games.

Appreciate the suggestion, I will look at that. I was mostly asking on the forum though so I could get an idea of how well maintained the games are at various establishments, if the machines are turned up to a reasonable volume so that you can actually hear them, etc.

#6 2 years ago

The place in Fraser has well maintained newer games. Chesterfield is decent, better than it used to be. I have not been to pinball Pete’s in a couple years but all was good.

#7 2 years ago

Was at Pinball Petes this summer, they had a Wonka, TMNT, Munsters, JP, EHOH, IM, as well as Stranger Things, IJ, Stern Star Trek, Monster Bash, AIQ, Stern Star Wars, and at least half a dozen more - hearing them can be a challenge though, busy place -

#8 2 years ago

Ready Player One is just right across the border on Fort street in Corktown.
    There's a place on Dougall that had some games a while back. Right beside Windsor Sportsman Club.
    Used to be called Springz, but I think they renamed it.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from DaveBen:

There's a place on Dougall that had some games a while back. Right beside Windsor Sportsman Club.

Have you been recently? I was under the impression that they were a Covid casualty. I'll be happy to find out otherwise.

I'll add to the previous suggestions of Marvin's. The game volume is pretty good. If you can make it during a non-peak time for kids to be on all of the other games, even better. Lots of cool stuff in there in addition to a nice pinball collection.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from DaveBen:

Unfortunately, Springz closed at the start of Covid and never re-opened. They are now re-opening it under a new name "Big Time Entertainment" but not sure if they have pinball or not. They are advertising themselves to be Southern Ontario's Largest Gaming Center ... so whether that means pinball, or lame Chuck-E-Cheez style redemption games is yet to be seen. We'll see when it opens.

I'll look into Ready Player One

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from gorditas:

Have you been recently? I was under the impression that they were a Covid casualty. I'll be happy to find out otherwise.
    I'll add to the previous suggestions of Marvin's. The game volume is pretty good. If you can make it during a non-peak time for kids to be on all of the other games, even better. Lots of cool stuff in there in addition to a nice pinball collection.

I just looked up Marvin's on Youtube. Wow that is one of the most insane looking places I've ever seen in my life (in a good way). All those animatronic displays, etc. Totally looks like a very unique experience that I will make visiting a priority.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from etr104:

I just looked up Marvin's on Youtube. Wow that is one of the most insane looking places I've ever seen in my life (in a good way). All those animatronic displays, etc. Totally looks like a very unique experience that I will make visiting a priority.

I'm friends with the owner. Send me a PM when you are going to make the trip, maybe I can meet you over there.

#14 2 years ago

I agree that Marvin’s would be worth the trip.

#15 2 years ago

Barcade downtown is pretty new. Games are in great shape, and a good selection. Volume is gonna be an issue if you’re there when it’s busy. Was there a few weeks ago and they had just added an ACNC and Slugest. Pulled a Justin Upton card from the slugfest after destroying my buddy

2 weeks later
    #16 2 years ago

Alright so just to give an update, I visited a bunch of places in the Detroit area. I'll give a rundown of my experiences.

Crazy Quarters - Bay City, MI. They have roughly 40 games, in pretty good shape. Maybe 2 or 3 were out of service. I arrived at around 9pm on a Friday night. There were very few few other patrons in the bar which meant we had it (mostly to ourselves). Yet they felt the need to absolutely CRANK the house music so could barely hear the games at all. That kind of ruined an otherwise decent experience.

Marvin’s Marvolus Mechanical Museum - Farmington Hills, MI. I think they had maybe 15 games, all relatively new (LCD era). Stern, JJP, CGC and AP machines. Most of the Stern's were LE's. They had the volume on the games nice and loud so you could hear the game volume and callouts perfectly. Games kind of played weird, like the balls seemed very 'slow/floaty' on the playfield, not sure if the games were in need of wax, or a leveling issue. All in all it's a fun place.

Pete's Pinball - Ann Arbor, MI - Roughly 40 games. All of which are in perfect condition. This is a large arcade with lots of redemption games, etc. Very well designed place because while all the games were turned up nice and loud, you could still hear everything perfectly without the place feeling noisy. They must have some really good acoustics technicians on site to make the sound flow right, but I can't say enough good things about Pinball Pete's. Games all set up perfectly, tables were nice and fast, in immaculate condition. A nice mix of DMD and LCD games. Most Stern games were LE's. They had a JJP Wizard Of Oz which played amazingly as well. This place is amazing and will probably be my main destination next time I'm in Michigan.

ULEK's Arcade - Monroe, MI - Roughly 15 games. Located in the middle of a dead mall (seriously like 95% of the mall is closed, this arcade is about the only thing open). Mostly all Stern Pro titles, with a few 90s era games mixed in. All in perfect condition. Games are turned up nice and loud. When I was there, the owner was the only other person in there. He takes amazing care of the machines, was constantly going around cleaning, maintaining, etc. You can tell they are his pride and joy. Super nice guy. Great place, strange location, but I highly recommend it. This would be my second favorite (just behind Pinball Pete's).

Free Play Arcade - Fraser, MI - Probably 40-50 machines. Very large, dimly lit arcade bar. Machines are decently maintained and turned up nice and loud. It was super busy when I went (there were a couple kids birthday parties and things going on). The acoustics of this place aren't great. The ceiling tiles are all removed exposing the steel roof above and the sound just echos around like crazy. When the place was busy, it was just a complete wall of noise in there with all the machines going, etc and I wished I had earplugs. Once all the kids left and the place emptied out, it was much more bearable. This place has a lot of potential, just needs some sound dampening materials installed or something for the busy days. All in all, not a bad place.

With all that said, ULEK's and Pinball Pete's are the places to go to!

There are a few more places I'd like to try though. Does anybody have any experience with Spark's Pinball Museum at Premiere Lanes in Chesterfield, MI? Seems like it could be interesting. Also, "The Arcade" in Brighton is another place i'd like to try out. Would you guys recommend it?

And of course there's a few places around the downtown area too.

#17 2 years ago

The ULEKStore arcade at the mall and their other location at Beek's Bar in downtown Monroe are both fun places to play and the folks who run them are some of the nicest people I know in the pinball hobby. One of the only locations I drive out of the way to go play. Glad you had a good time there.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from Skipnatty:

The ULEKStore arcade at the mall and their other location at Beek's Bar in downtown Monroe are both fun places to play and the folks who run them are some of the nicest people I know in the pinball hobby. One of the only locations I drive out of the way to go play. Glad you had a good time there.

Nice! Yes the owner mentioned Beek's while I was there, sounded like it would be fun to check out out but unfortunately it was a Sunday and they are closed on Sundays.

But yeah, I talked to the owner a whole bunch. Super nice guy and super knowledgeable. The entire time we were there he was going from machine to machine, cleaning playfields and doing other general maintenance just so that any patron who walks in gets each machine in absolutely perfect condition.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from etr104:

Nice! Yes the owner mentioned Beek's while I was there, sounded like it would be fun to check out out but unfortunately it was a Sunday and they are closed on Sundays.
    But yeah, I talked to the owner a whole bunch. Super nice guy and super knowledgeable. The entire time we were there he was going from machine to machine, cleaning playfields and doing other general maintenance just so that any patron who walks in gets each machine in absolutely perfect condition.

Really glad you got to check out ULEK’s - that mall is seriously weird, but the games!

5 months later
    #20 1 year ago

My top 3 would definitely be the
    Free Play Arcade in Fraser. Best day to go would be a Thursday night if you're looking for many open machines and easier to hear your game playing! I enjoy going when it's busy too if wanting to play with a stranger. Cool that you can byo food. And all the other classic arcade games. Tempest is the best.

Pinball Pete's is definitely a fav, great mix of games and have been going for many years especially during high school when I lived out that way.

"The Arcade" which is in Brighton on grand river, tons of pins there and great mix of classic arcade, same deal with Free play Fraser where it's one price to get in, and everything on freeplay. Haven't been there in a few years but I definitely recommend them next pin trip!

1 week later
    #21 1 year ago
    Quoted from etr104:

Alright so just to give an update, I visited a bunch of places in the Detroit area. I'll give a rundown of my experiences.
    Crazy Quarters - Bay City, MI. They have roughly 40 games, in pretty good shape. Maybe 2 or 3 were out of service. I arrived at around 9pm on a Friday night. There were very few few other patrons in the bar which meant we had it (mostly to ourselves). Yet they felt the need to absolutely CRANK the house music so could barely hear the games at all. That kind of ruined an otherwise decent experience.
    Marvin’s Marvolus Mechanical Museum - Farmington Hills, MI. I think they had maybe 15 games, all relatively new (LCD era). Stern, JJP, CGC and AP machines. Most of the Stern's were LE's. They had the volume on the games nice and loud so you could hear the game volume and callouts perfectly. Games kind of played weird, like the balls seemed very 'slow/floaty' on the playfield, not sure if the games were in need of wax, or a leveling issue. All in all it's a fun place.
    Pete's Pinball - Ann Arbor, MI - Roughly 40 games. All of which are in perfect condition. This is a large arcade with lots of redemption games, etc. Very well designed place because while all the games were turned up nice and loud, you could still hear everything perfectly without the place feeling noisy. They must have some really good acoustics technicians on site to make the sound flow right, but I can't say enough good things about Pinball Pete's. Games all set up perfectly, tables were nice and fast, in immaculate condition. A nice mix of DMD and LCD games. Most Stern games were LE's. They had a JJP Wizard Of Oz which played amazingly as well. This place is amazing and will probably be my main destination next time I'm in Michigan.
    ULEK's Arcade - Monroe, MI - Roughly 15 games. Located in the middle of a dead mall (seriously like 95% of the mall is closed, this arcade is about the only thing open). Mostly all Stern Pro titles, with a few 90s era games mixed in. All in perfect condition. Games are turned up nice and loud. When I was there, the owner was the only other person in there. He takes amazing care of the machines, was constantly going around cleaning, maintaining, etc. You can tell they are his pride and joy. Super nice guy. Great place, strange location, but I highly recommend it. This would be my second favorite (just behind Pinball Pete's).
    Free Play Arcade - Fraser, MI - Probably 40-50 machines. Very large, dimly lit arcade bar. Machines are decently maintained and turned up nice and loud. It was super busy when I went (there were a couple kids birthday parties and things going on). The acoustics of this place aren't great. The ceiling tiles are all removed exposing the steel roof above and the sound just echos around like crazy. When the place was busy, it was just a complete wall of noise in there with all the machines going, etc and I wished I had earplugs. Once all the kids left and the place emptied out, it was much more bearable. This place has a lot of potential, just needs some sound dampening materials installed or something for the busy days. All in all, not a bad place.
    With all that said, ULEK's and Pinball Pete's are the places to go to!
    There are a few more places I'd like to try though. Does anybody have any experience with Spark's Pinball Museum at Premiere Lanes in Chesterfield, MI? Seems like it could be interesting. Also, "The Arcade" in Brighton is another place i'd like to try out. Would you guys recommend it?
    And of course there's a few places around the downtown area too.

Thanks for the feedback regarding Crazy Quarters. We Moved all of our pins to a dedicated space in the basement where the experience is much better. We have 63 pins on the floor now.

#22 1 year ago

Visited, for the first time, a couple weeks ago. Nice setup in the basement, tons of titles across generations, clean, and in good working order. Great spot!

Quoted from Penguindeity:

Thanks for the feedback regarding Crazy Quarters. We Moved all of our pins to a dedicated space in the basement where the experience is much better. We have 63 pins on the floor now.

9 months later
    #23 1 year ago

Looking to play some of these new pins, anywhere got GF, SD, or FF yet?

6 months later

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-in-the-detroit-area and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.