(Topic ID: 26437)

Pinball in movies or TV shows? Name a game you have seen in the background?

By Jackontherocks

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,842 posts
  • 729 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 hours ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 139 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 2.50.10?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 2.49.28?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 2.47.42?PM (resized).png
439348452_865288872293409_193572636319697598_n (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2024-04-22 at 10.42.13 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2024-04-22 at 10.41.42 AM (resized).png
Whos that knocking at my door (resized).JPG
Bad News Tour - Fortune (resized).png
surlacorderaide06-big (resized).jpg
surlacorderaide04-big (resized).jpg
surlacorderaide01-big (resized).jpg
image-2 (resized).jpg
WUSA 1 (resized).jpg
WUSA 2 (resized).jpg
Flip A Card (resized).JPG
Card Trix (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

1274 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #9 Van Wilder (2002) Posted by dmacy (11 years ago)

Post #22 What's Eating Gilbert Grape? (1993) Posted by kwiKimart (11 years ago)

Post #34 ABCNews Damon Lindelof Interview Posted by gweempose (11 years ago)

Post #38 Bad Santa (2003) Posted by davewtf (11 years ago)

Post #40 Eastbound and Down S?? E?? Posted by pzy (11 years ago)

Post #52 Big Daddy (1999) Posted by gweempose (11 years ago)

Post #58 Goodfellas (1990) Posted by Wise_Guy (11 years ago)

Post #60 Wire, The S01 E?? Posted by jahbarron (11 years ago)

Post #65 Miami Vice, S01 E04 Posted by vulture (11 years ago)

Post #70 Crow, The (1994) Posted by poopdotcom (11 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#570 7 years ago

Did you still own it when Deadpool was filming? Is that scene on location or was it a set?

9 months later
#808 6 years ago

Watched Rocky III last night to settle a dispute over whether "The Final Countdown" is in Rocky III or Rocky IV

I believe this is in this thread already, but Paulie destroys a Rocky pinball machine in one of the early scenes. I remember reading somewhere it was another machine with a "rocky" backglass added, and the actual Rocky machine was made later.

...oh, and Final Countdown is in neither movie.. lol

#813 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

As a reminder there is a thread search tool in every thread

And I thank you for using it so I didn't have to !

2 weeks later
#829 6 years ago

Just having Redd Foxx talking about pinball, it counts for sure!

4 weeks later
#833 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

The Flash...Season 4, Episode 1. Looks like they are all rethemes. But I was able to barely catch the side of a RBION on a later frame from a different angle.

Beat me to it! RBION was the only one I caught as well; looks like the others have fake translites. Wonder which one they wrecked putting that guy through the glass?

1 week later
#883 6 years ago

Which one gets smashed when he throws the bully guy around?

2 months later
#952 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

God what a pile of shit that movie was. Had a great trailer at the time, I was working at the movie theatre then, and we were pimped for it coming out. *Thud*

It even has a cool premise! Just horrible execution

3 weeks later
#982 6 years ago
Quoted from pinsanity:

Ambush In Waco - In the Line of Duty.
Funhouse at the ATF shindig.

Hey that’s Kent Broadhurst!

8 months later
#1229 5 years ago

I'm sure Deadpool was mentioned earlier in this thread. ANybody know which game?

5 months later
#1428 5 years ago
Quoted from gmanrulz46:

the movie with jody foster had pinballs and arcade machines.. the accused. dont remember the games though...

Yikes.. not pinball’s Finest hour

#1431 5 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

The game in the notorious scene was a Space Invaders, but re-themed by the production with a basketball theme. Can't imagine Bally (or Atari) would ever want their license seen in that setting.

Strange that same game keeps showing up in so many movies

#1439 5 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

I have not seen a post about the pinball in Captain Marvel. A Space Invaders sitting in an alien spaceship? Nice!

couple pages back

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-in-movies-or-tv-shows-name-a-game-you-have-seen-in-the-background/page/28#post-4874451

#1442 5 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

The latest season of Arrested Development has 3 reskinned machines. Here's one of them. They put in the EM sound effects even when nobody is playing them.
No idea what the "Wrench" is. Not sure if it's a reference to something within AD.
[quoted image]

WHOA! I am literally watching this right now. "Wrench" is a show-within-the-show sitcom about a detective named "Frank Wrench" (played by Rob Corddry) who has a huge weapon; it's a parody of the awesome show "Sledgehammer" from the 80s

#1445 5 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

I swear they switched machines around in the episodes.
I'm also convinced Flight 2000 is one of a handful machines the prop department of tv shows have.

Yep.. isn’t there a Flight 2000 in The Flash as well?

2 months later
#1498 4 years ago
Quoted from heyitsjoebob:

I'm no Elton historian, but I was wondering if the timing of that meeting (firing the manager) didn't line up with the release of Captain Fantastic. However there were so so many other liberties taken with the timing of events and when songs were actually written and released that I can't imagine they'd be a stickler when it came to the pinball machine.

It's a 100-to-1 shot that whomever dressed the set for that shot even KNEW there is an Elton pinball machine. Lots of shows have them stuck in there nowadays, and obviously for a period movie it was a good choice since they were so common then

3 months later
#1660 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

This may likely be in here already, but I just flicked the tube on and started watching naked gun 33 1/3, and guess what I saw in the credits??[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I wonder what game that is

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1662 4 years ago

Wow. I’m not that familiar with high speed - what gave it away? The spinner?

#1667 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

In braking bad they made Getaway sound like an old EM. I don’t know if it is because of the pinball stereotype or some kind of licensing issue.

It's not really either - when you're making a TV show, you need the most effective sound effect for the tiny amount of time you have to tell the story. So when someone's playing pinball, they add the EM sounds because most people know what that sound is, and it conveys "the character is playing pinball!" in the split second it's onscreen. If they added the actual Getaway sounds for example, most people would have no idea what they were listening to, and it would just sound like noise. I suppose that's partly the "pinball stereotype" but there's a bit more thought involved, even if it doesn't make sense to us

#1672 4 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

But the vast majority of the audience has not seen, let alone played or heard a EM pinball machine
with bells and chimes in over 40 yrs,
so basically anyone under 50 would not be familiar with said vintage pinball sounds.
I get where chimes and bells is more exclusive to pinball sounds,
but electronic sounds (without voice) from classic S/S pins ('78to'88) are also fairly unique to pinball or video arcade games.
TV/Movie producers that choose E/M sounds over actual pinball sounds on Pinball DMD games (1992 or newer)
is living with their heads in the sand.

No argument from me - (and to be clear - I think this is dumb too) but as far as mixing all the audio together - it's much more clear that the noises are coming from the 'game', and unless that's the point of the scene (which is almost never the case), the sound effects need to be just be an ambient, simple sound which dont' get in the way of dialogue

#1673 4 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

I own a High Speed, so I'm intimately familiar, especially since mine needed some touch ups and other work. I saw your last picture first, and what first caught my eye was the "GH" visible in the foreground -- the last two letters in "HIGH" in the art in the center of the PF. The flipper and spinner in the background confirmed it, as did the red/yellow/green targets in the other pic.

Gotcha - I didn't catch the letters. Good eye!

4 months later
#1798 4 years ago
Quoted from Mardi-Gras-Man:

Please excuse me, dear girloveswaffles, it's not a BRONCO but the 2-Player-model MUSTANG.

I love checking this thread, and especially how someone posts an older game I’m not familiar with, I wonder “which game is that?”, and within minutes the answer appears

1 week later
#1811 4 years ago
Quoted from flipper_fever76:

Stuck overseas at the mercy of one english movie channel and just watched The Abyss.....sure enough, there's a pinball machine at the bottom of the ocean. I couldn't make out what it was though. Also funny how I never noticed pins in movies before I became a ragging pinball addict.

I am watching "The Abyss" and did a search to see if the pin in this movie (about 49 minutes in ) was ever identified -and nope! But I am almost 100% sure it is a DE Secret Service

#1813 4 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Here’s one. It’s set in the 1980’s as it’s about the Green River Killer but I couldn’t help noticing that there is a 2003 Roller Coaster Tycoon in the background. Attention to detail people [quoted image]

Hey, my friend Sam is in that movie!

#1820 4 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

Does anyone watch "Kidding" on Showtime?

Man that is such a heavy show! Really unexpectedly bizarre and deep

#1823 4 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

I'm not a huge Jim Carrey fan, but I think he's great in it, and it's the smartest show on TV right now. Brilliant writing, direction, art direction, set design, editing etc.
Have you seen the season finale, where there is a Jeff Pickles pinball machine? It's in a flashback, and is the wrong display type for the era, but it really goes to show how pinball is making a comeback, and is in the public consciousness again.
I don't have screen shots.
oh yeah, I guess it's 'a tad' on the dark side!

Did not realize there was a season 2! Extremely positive reviews too..

#1839 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Uncut Gems is a 2019 American crime thriller film directed by Josh and Benny Safdie, who co-wrote the screenplay with Ronald Bronstein. The film stars Adam Sandler as Howard Ratner, a Jewish jeweler and gambling addict in New York City's Diamond District, who must retrieve an expensive gem he purchased to pay off his debts. The film also stars Kevin Garnett, Idina Menzel, Lakeith Stanfield, Julia Fox, and Eric Bogosian. Filming took place from September to November 2018. The original score was composed by Daniel Lopatin. Distribution by Netflix.
Apparently, it is Sandler's role of his lifetime.
It has VERY high ratings.

Sandler really loses himself in the role - he is on fire in the movie. The movie itself? It has phenomenal potential but doesn’t quite stick the landing. Still good, but It is clearly elevated by the curiosity of “Sandler can act?!” (Which he definitely can.. just not often)

Idina Menzel is almost wasted in the role of the neglected wife who is bursting at the seams to leave him.

Anyway, it’s not “Blended”

#1849 4 years ago
Quoted from ufiti:

Robert Englund on TMZ today with a Nightmare on Elm Street machine in the background. Doesn't look like he plays it often...
[quoted image]

I think he’s earned it regardless

Actually he’s earned a MUCH better game lol...

7 months later
#2425 3 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

Watched a cheesy 1-hour 2019 REELZ channel 'documentary' about Eddie Murphy's ups and downs, one of those where they hire untalented no-name similar-looking actors to portray the star and the other real people. The fake Eddie is shown playing one of two pinballs in his mansion's game room, couldn't really identify them other than one was maybe a Williams Fire, something like that. But I couldn't find anything about Eddie being into pinball so maybe they just used dramatic license as it was when they were talking about him being lonely and having insomnia. For all I know that game room has been in a dozen other documentaries they made about other troubled celebrities.
[quoted image]

My first thought was Sopranos

1 week later
#2439 3 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

An interview with a pretty unique band, the Cybernetic Spree, in Toronto had some pins behind the band. Superman, Lost World, Arena and Pinbot are the ones I can identify.
[quoted image]

I remember seeing these guys do a bunch of covers of Transformers the Movie songs, it was pretty good

#2441 3 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

I just found out about them. I'll be streaming their next concert, after a showing of the movie at my house:
https://livefrominside.ca/358f7013-41fc-45eb-b573-ebeaec47bd0d

Nice! They did BotCon several years ago, the costumes are wild! I’ll be sure to tune in

2 years later
#4278 9 months ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Finished watching the Ted Lasso series on AppleTV+.
It was previously mentioned here that Wizard of OZ pinball was featured in a season 2 episode,
But the same game showed up several more times in the pub scenes in the last few episodes of season 3,
and featured prominently in one scene with Ted's mom visiting. episode titled "Mom City" S3Ep11

Jason Sudekis is a big pinhead, he brought that game to the Uk for use in those pub scenes. There’s and interview of him and Beard talking about the games they shipped in

#4284 8 months ago
Quoted from Oneironaut:

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you...Ralph Kramden, the human pinball machine.
[quoted image]

Bang! zoom!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

2,856 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, PA
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 8.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-in-movies-or-tv-shows-name-a-game-you-have-seen-in-the-background?tu=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.