(Topic ID: 26437)

Pinball in movies or TV shows? Name a game you have seen in the background?

By Jackontherocks

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,842 posts
  • 729 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 139 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 2.50.10?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 2.49.28?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 2.47.42?PM (resized).png
439348452_865288872293409_193572636319697598_n (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2024-04-22 at 10.42.13 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2024-04-22 at 10.41.42 AM (resized).png
Whos that knocking at my door (resized).JPG
Bad News Tour - Fortune (resized).png
surlacorderaide06-big (resized).jpg
surlacorderaide04-big (resized).jpg
surlacorderaide01-big (resized).jpg
image-2 (resized).jpg
WUSA 1 (resized).jpg
WUSA 2 (resized).jpg
Flip A Card (resized).JPG
Card Trix (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

1274 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #9 Van Wilder (2002) Posted by dmacy (11 years ago)

Post #22 What's Eating Gilbert Grape? (1993) Posted by kwiKimart (11 years ago)

Post #34 ABCNews Damon Lindelof Interview Posted by gweempose (11 years ago)

Post #38 Bad Santa (2003) Posted by davewtf (11 years ago)

Post #40 Eastbound and Down S?? E?? Posted by pzy (11 years ago)

Post #52 Big Daddy (1999) Posted by gweempose (11 years ago)

Post #58 Goodfellas (1990) Posted by Wise_Guy (11 years ago)

Post #60 Wire, The S01 E?? Posted by jahbarron (11 years ago)

Post #65 Miami Vice, S01 E04 Posted by vulture (11 years ago)

Post #70 Crow, The (1994) Posted by poopdotcom (11 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider beatnik-filmstar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#634 7 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

In last night's new episode of "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia" (Season 12, episode 4), there were two games visible in a mirror. One was a BK2K with replacement backglass art saying "Knight's Lair." A decal, probably, since most of the art was standard, just the middle was covered, and although the game was on the bg was unlit. The other had only the left edge visible and I could not identify it, but someone might recognize it.

Had meant to re-watch today to try to figure out what that was. Didn't look familiar at all watching once through. Makes sense why now.

1 week later
#645 7 years ago

Last night's episode of Baskets included a scene at a movie theater.

Iron Man and one other visible in the background a few times.

4 years later
#2680 3 years ago

Clearer shot from The Stand.

Untitled-1 (resized).jpgUntitled-1 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#2715 3 years ago

Clearer shot

#2738 3 years ago

The Black Rose in the opening of the first episode of the 1994 version of The Stand has been mentioned a few times over the years. Didn't see any mention of 4 Queens making an appearance later in the same episode.

3 weeks later
#2793 3 years ago

Mary Tyler Moore - s5e17.
Delta Queen and Klondike in the background of a bar scene.
mtmpins (resized).jpgmtmpins (resized).jpg
They actually mention them as well. Lou says something along the lines of "If you want some exercise, they've got some pinball machines over there."

#2820 3 years ago

Mystery game in Justified S05E02. The Wire's Avon Barksdale threatening a pot dealer with a closer shot from a few moments later.

justiwhatnow (resized).jpgjustiwhatnow (resized).jpg

Usually a lot easier to determine what a game is even after show producers try to obscure things. But the combination of the towel over the backbox in the wide shot and whatever they did to the front of the machine in the closer one have me stumped. Any ideas on what games with yellow cabs would have identifying marks where the coin door should be?

Edit - adding close up from the first image:

Untitled-2 (resized).jpgUntitled-2 (resized).jpg

#2822 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Clearly a home pin like fireball.

Thought it might be, but the cab is too deep to be fireball home edition. Off to check a few others

Edit - looking closer, I think might be it after all. The home fireball has the same two rows of three bolts along the front side.

#2824 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Look at the picture- The 3/6 screws that hold the lockbar are present and shooter rod and start button are in correct spots. Might be an early version but my money is Bally home pin.
[quoted image]

Yeah - edited my post earlier. Had briefly looked at the home version before the original post and for some reason the body didn't look as deep. Looked again after your first post and those 3x2 bolts are kinda dead giveaway.

Edit - maybe it's the black/dark parts running up the corners that threw me off. Not sure, but there's no ignoring those bolts.

#2833 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I know, but it seems like it wouldn't even be necessary since the scene is very dark and the backglass is mostly covered.

At this point I assume it's just some POS that a prop house has on offer. Could even be random head on a body. Bolt pattern on the body screams Bally home edition. God knows what they slapped on it for a fake translite. I think I kinda see some dinosaurs/lizards on there? "Ball in play" on the left?

#2836 3 years ago

Someone working on Justified seems to have liked home edition pins. S05e07 gets us even lower on the totem pole.

garbagepin (resized).jpggarbagepin (resized).jpg

I think Star Explorer would make me long for the days of a Bally home Fireball.

#2844 3 years ago

Justified's season 5 home editionpalooza continues.

Star Explorer makes another appearance in the e13 finale. No longer at random hacker guy's apartment, now it's at in the office at Boyd's bar.
again (resized).jpgagain (resized).jpg

1 month later
#2912 2 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Williams High Speed in Shakes The Clown
[quoted image]

Brown, smooth, and easy to spread.

1 week later
#2926 2 years ago

The pin at Kelsey's changes a lot over the years. Kinda cool - like a real life operator running a route in Archie's neighborhood.

4 weeks later
#2950 2 years ago
Quoted from somenerd:

I don't have a picture at the moment (just discovered this thread now) but saw a Rocky & Bullwinkle and Friends in the background (it stuck out a bit in the scene) during this season's finale of Handmaid's Tale. I pointed it out to my wife while we were watching and she replied, "How do you notice these things?"
Just well-trained eyes I suppose...

Screenshot (resized).pngScreenshot (resized).png

1 week later
#2971 2 years ago
Quoted from oldbaby:

The documentary The Sparks Brothers shows their home studio, where they have two pachinko machines. Maybe they like pinball too. If I programmed games for the P3 system, I would reach out to them and see if I could get permission to make a Sparks game. And I would use... the Heist Module. Maybe.

This Multiball Ain’t Big Enough For the Both of Us.
(And it ain’t me who’s gonna drain!)

Great doc. Weird as hell to be the only ones in a theater though. Seems oddly appropriate all things considered.

CE6A23DD-8211-45A8-9FC9-9D7C4B082E39 (resized).jpegCE6A23DD-8211-45A8-9FC9-9D7C4B082E39 (resized).jpeg

2 months later
#3076 2 years ago

Different kind of post for this thread, but it fits well enough I think.

My wife and I just watched the last episode of a little HBO documentary about a small town TV station in Pahrump, NV. It's called "Small Town News: KPVM Pahrump" not the greatest thing ever, but entertaining enough to watch if anyone's interested in short documentary shows.

Anyway - final episode includes some footage of them creating an ad for a local attorney. Can't find that exact clip online, but the commercial itself is on Youtube. Sitting next to my wife as she sat there confused - "Where the Hell have I heard that before?!?" was rather funny.

If you don't recognize that, the same background tune was used for one of the songs in Deadpool.

Jump to 10:20 if the time stamp doesn't work.

#3079 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Was watching last week's episode of Brooklyn Nine-Nine today and this pin was on the screen for about 2 seconds. Can't tell what it is, tho.....anyone?
[quoted image]

Playmatic Rio - been in the show (and this thread) before;
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-in-movies-or-tv-shows-name-a-game-you-have-seen-in-the-background/page/19#post-4109771

The operator for that bar really needs to rotate things out.

Edit: better clearer shot of it in tonight’s first episode.

#3090 2 years ago

Midway Play Ball pitch and bat in s04e04 of AP Bio:
ummm (resized).jpgummm (resized).jpg

Later in the episode someone appears to be playing it like a pinball despite not having flippers....
wrong (resized).jpgwrong (resized).jpg

#3093 2 years ago

Anyone else find themselves ignoring dialog and plot every time a show or movie has a scene in a bar as you just scan the background looking for pins?

#3096 2 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

S2E8 newest Ted Lasso (btw, pretty much the best the show running these days)

Ted Lasso is so oddly wholesome that the crochety old bastard in me wants to not like it, but damn it if it isn't just charming as Hell.

https://www.theonion.com/critically-acclaimed-ted-lasso-episode-just-stock-pho-1847547843

2 weeks later
#3136 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Fireball Classic and what looks like a Big Guns cut down.

Just Pinbot I think.

Edit - ah ha. I got it before the edit!

#3138 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Yup, changed my post after reviewing the picture again, your quick!

I like how pinside will pop up with a "New posts have been added" thing while you're in a thread. Just happened to be at the bottom of the thread, about to mention what they were when your post came through.

#3139 2 years ago

What I actually came here to post about has already been mentioned. Death of Michael K Williams has gotten the wife and I on a David Simon kick, so we've been watching things he did that we hadn't seen before. Currently watching The Plot Against America. Couple posts about this show have made the thread already.

Quoted from Charlemagne1987:

HBO's latest mini-series THE PLOT AGAINST AMERICA has a scene in episode one where one of the characters is beating up on a 1940 era pinball machine. I couldn't find the clip online. Maybe someone else can.

Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

High hand
The plot against america EP 5

40c833e527801edc2e702bb00b099ec02e8f1d55 (resized).jpg40c833e527801edc2e702bb00b099ec02e8f1d55 (resized).jpg
Just saw this episode last night.

My wife has long ago accepted that this is me any time there's a pinball in a show or movie we're watching:
rick (resized).jpgrick (resized).jpg
I think it might even amuse her slightly in a "That's my little dummy husband weirdo" way.

However, pausing the show to ID a title, opening IPDB on your phone and then smugly pointing out that Hi-Hand came out in 1957 and the episode takes place in 1942 and damn it it sure looks like the guy is miming flipping the ball on a flipperless machine? Well, her amusement only goes so far.

1 week later
#3167 2 years ago
Quoted from adtseismo:

not sure what the one on the right is, but I watched maximum overdrive the other night and I popped hard when I saw the Night Rider!

Pokerino

https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1839&picno=30698

1 month later
#3245 2 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Looks like newer Sterns with modified backboxes to hide the screens

Yeah - they're definitely modified, and I think you're right. The one on the left is clearly Addams Family, but the proportions all all off, like they printed a smaller size translite and placed it in a new Stern. The big start button definitely isn't from an actual Addams cabinet.

Still can't quite place the one on the right though.

Dig Dug on the left of the guy though.

#3251 2 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Would you believe[quoted image] the one on the right has a trimmed down version of Sterns Indiana Jones Translight? :[quoted image]
.... Or maybe there's a Indy VE coming out?

Heh. I looked through a couple dozen WMS machines, clicking their IPDB entries knowing full well they weren't right. Didn't even think to look at Sterns.

A weird amount of effort to go through on the ad agency's part though.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
1 week later
#3259 2 years ago

It's Rhoda time!

S01e03 - on a date with a pre-WKRP Dr. Johnny Fever.
Gottlieb Grand Slam:
one (resized).pngone (resized).png
With bonus machine that I gave up trying to ID in the background. (With a few other EM gun games in the scene as well.)
two (resized).pngtwo (resized).png

S04e03 - Midway Slugger pitch and bat at a bowling alley:
https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2210

1 week later
#3301 2 years ago

Slowly finishing Rhoda with my wife. Honestly surprising just how far the show fell off the cliff in seasons 3-5. From top 10 ratings to cancelled mid season 3 years later after they divorced the main characters. A lesson in "Don't mess with what's working, dummies."

Anyway - S04e19. Gary takes on Benny as a partner and Benny suggests adding pong and pinball to the clothing store.

What I assume is the same Midway Slugger from earlier in the season, joined by a Bally Monte Carlo. (And a couple old Pong cabs)

3 weeks later
#3318 2 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

Curb Your Enthusiasm, Season 11, Episode 10. Pinbot
[quoted image]

Tracey Ullman has been absolutely killing it this season.

2 months later
#3440 2 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Target Pool, Volley, Stock Car, Rescue 911 and a unidentified woodrail on a old episode of American Pickers.
[quoted image][quoted image]

The most recent episode is titled "Pinball Jack." Not at home to get screen grabs, but despite the name there's not that many pins.

Space Invaders and another I didn't immediately recognize set up in his living room. What appeared to be a Fireball on it's end next to them. Maybe another.

In the basement there's a Humpty Dumpty that they discuss the importance of and buy.

Edit - It's a Williams Black Jack. (Sorry for the Plex controls)

Couple other shots:
Screenshot (1) (resized).pngScreenshot (1) (resized).png
Screenshot (2) (resized).pngScreenshot (2) (resized).png

#3442 2 years ago
Quoted from Manhattan:

How did these get overlooked? Anchorman. Opening sequence.
[quoted image]

Mata Hari for sure and don't put a gun to my head, but looks like Big Deal on the left.

4 weeks later
#3486 2 years ago

Pinball map says the museum has a Fun Land and the side art matches.

Definitely a thumbs up to visiting though. Lots of cool old coin op things there.

1 month later
#3561 1 year ago

Slightly obscured but still pretty obvious Stern Kiss (as well as a second machine that I have no idea on) in S01E08 of Mythic Quest

2 months later
#3741 1 year ago

All this talk of keyposts and indexes when I'm haunted by that damn "No, It's not PAT HAND" image from a near 50 year old ELP documentary.

2 weeks later
#3803 1 year ago

"All in the Family" and "Archie Bunker's Place" have been mentioned a few times as there's basically always a pin at Kelsey's / Archie's bar.

Here's something slightly different though. Can't really post a picture, since it's not a physical machine.

Start at 2:10 or so if the time stamp doesn't work.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6wc3kt?start=130

If you prefer Edith being Edith - jump to 10:24
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6wc3kt?start=624

Audio is a bit out of sync, but you get the idea.

2 months later
#3930 1 year ago

I’ve been doing a run through of All in the Family (slowwwwly) over the past 2+ years. As noted - there’s been a number of machines at Kelsey’s over the years. Probably just whatever a prop house had at a given time but does give a cool appearance of a route. Wish I had taken notes as I watched them, but I’m in season 7 now - way too far into it’s run to start over.

4 months later
#4110 1 year ago
Quoted from GreenMachine19:

The cabinet on Genie isn’t correct.

Really weird. The side looks right, but the front is wrong. Looked through a load of Gottlieb widebodies on IPDB but not finding any match. Rocky has a star in that spot, but it's not really that close.

#4120 1 year ago
Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS maybe? Cab doesn't look like pictures I've found, though...

Cab is redone for sure. The two pops and a white standup sure look to match Close Encounters to me though.

#4133 1 year ago
Quoted from ziggy90127:

Here's the machine in Xanadu.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks to be a modified Pro-Football or Gridiron.

An earlier post caught what looks like a pitch and bat in season 2 of Frasier.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-in-movies-or-tv-shows-name-a-game-you-have-seen-in-the-background/page/59#post-6320237

Caught a couple backglasses last night in s08e12. Frasier and Roz are at a comic con of some sort.

Forgive the paused media player icons.
Solar Ride:

Pharaoh:
Screenshot (1) (resized).pngScreenshot (1) (resized).png

2 weeks later
#4175 1 year ago

The one being unloaded is a CC / Stern Rawhide. Not sure which.

edit - don't see a Chicago Coin sticker on the door, so probably Stern.

#4178 1 year ago

Bally Expressway.

Edit - almost positive I've seen a Bally Expressway with LED lighting like that on another show. Assuming it's from a prophouse.

Edit 2 - it was a Kia commercial and made this thread.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-in-movies-or-tv-shows-name-a-game-you-have-seen-in-the-background/page/52#post-6047627

3 months later
#4257 10 months ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

I think the one on the right might be Card Whiz (Gottlieb 1976) and the center one looks like a Jacks Open or Lucky Hand (Gottlieb 1977).
ED: Pretty sure the one on the left is a Jumping Jack (Gottlieb 1973).

All look right to me. There's another off to the right that is more visible earlier in the trailer. Not exactly hard to ID the Genie. No idea on what's next to it.

genie (resized).pnggenie (resized).png

3 weeks later
#4273 9 months ago

S03E04 of Taxi.

Williams Fun Fest and Bally Night Rider EM in a bar scene with Alex.

Screenshot (3) (resized).pngScreenshot (3) (resized).png

Screenshot (4) (resized).pngScreenshot (4) (resized).png

1 month later
#4334 7 months ago

It's a Bally Triple Play.
https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2651

My wife loved when I paused an episode to figure that out a few years ago.

2 weeks later
#4346 7 months ago

Actually finally finished my years long "watch an episode here and there" run through all 9 seasons of All in the Family.

A lot of them have been mentioned, but one semi interesting thing.

After having an Eight Ball or Night Rider(ss) for most of seasons 8 and 9 - there's an episode in the 9th season where they switched back to an EM. I want to say it was a Stern Disco, which was shown before but I can't remember for sure. I assume it was an episode filmed out of order that aired later than expected.

1 month later
#4421 5 months ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Nope. I found one on YT as well and I’m posting it. If it’s any video content that’s not specifically about pinball but has a pinball machine in it should count. YT is as big a medium as TV nowadays.
This YT interview between David Cross and Maynard James Keenan shows Maynard has a Bally Kiss.
[quoted image]

RONNIE DOBBS! RONNIE DOBBS!

1 month later
#4571 3 months ago
Quoted from EtzEtz:

Those are some freaky looking people

Played a Fire Cracker once and was laughing at that lady's face enough to use it as a profile pic for a bit on facebook.

She's a looker.

12961654_1335773866438245_2364562416344555407_n (resized).jpg12961654_1335773866438245_2364562416344555407_n (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#4611 77 days ago

Finished off my All in the Family run a while back. The various pins at Kelsey's have been gone over many times. Decided to continue on with Archie Bunker's Place next. The pinball doesn't rotate out anymore - at least not through the first 2.5 seasons or so. Same Gottlieb Neptune/Hit the Deck that made an appearance towards the end of All in the Family.

But S03E14 - "Reggie 3, Archie 0" has something a bit different.

The Reggie in question is Reggie Jackson. One of Archie's employees hit Reggie's Rolls Royce with Archie's truck. Typical chaos ensues as Reggie tries to collect the (gasp) $3k in damages from the uninsured Archie.

One scene opens in Reggie's penthouse where he's playing a Chicago Coin "Big League" pitch and bat with his lawyer.
https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2864&picno=48418

reggie (resized).jpgreggie (resized).jpg

Reggie of course hits a home run, and despite being from 1975, the game makes some Atari 2600-esque electronic cheering sounds.

edit - huh. Actually reading the IPDB listing, it IS a solid state machine. The audio was absolutely added in though.

1 month later
#4734 33 days ago

Way too blurry to say for sure, but the disco machine looks like Lost World to me.

#4736 33 days ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Yeah
CAB graphics seem to match

Heck. I had only scrolled back up to the pic where it's way in the background. didn't see the close up. Definitely Lost World.

#4746 29 days ago

Growing up in the 80's in the PNW - "Streetwise" was basically used as a near annual "Scared Straight" type of video. (Hell - one of the girls briefly on camera ended up a victim of the Green River Killer.) It's really really sad, and really really good.

There was a follow up documentary about the girl that acts more or less as the main character if you're interested:

#4750 28 days ago

Christopher Columbus: "Yo, Queen Isabella! I just discovered a whole continent!"
Vikings: "Uhhhhh...... We were over there about 500 years ago. Check the logs."
Christopher Columbus: "I like to pretend, OK?!"

Indigenous people:
dcwtf.gifdcwtf.gif

#4758 28 days ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The video is marked as private

Same for me, though it was working the other day. A shame - it was some upscaled version that looked a lot cleaner than I've ever seen.

54:55 in this upload:

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Gulf Shores, AL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Listowel Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider beatnik-filmstar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-in-movies-or-tv-shows-name-a-game-you-have-seen-in-the-background?tu=beatnik-filmstar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.