(Topic ID: 26437)

Pinball in movies or TV shows? Name a game you have seen in the background?

By Jackontherocks

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,898 posts
  • 558 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 hours ago by Yoko2una
  • Topic is favorited by 84 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 3.00.38 PM (resized).png
trinkets s1 e6 19m19s (resized).jpg
IMG_20210420_201935 (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2021-04-19 194603 (resized).jpg
FE69933E-5026-4CFC-B216-9D1A694FFBC9 (resized).jpeg
8CA9356E-878F-4465-8962-B368A058306A (resized).jpeg
20210417_223156 (resized).jpg
20210417_223253 (resized).jpg
20210416_215439 (resized).jpg
20210416_215613 (resized).jpg
20210416_215508 (resized).jpg
20210416_215425 (resized).jpg
20210416_215328 (resized).jpg
626C9D5F-D6FE-4176-A138-22A9D5F74687 (resized).jpeg
99A99B62-4E04-43A4-8F39-0F36590B25B4 (resized).jpeg
gottlieb (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

709 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 2898 posts in this topic. You are on page 56 of 58.
#2751 52 days ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Con Air during the bar scene when he is dancing with his wife, maybe Time Zone or something turned off in background

Caught that while watching this weekend. Time Zone confirmed.

Untitled.jpg
#2752 52 days ago

Anchorman 2 was mentioned earlier no pics.

70BA89EA-F0EE-4672-8868-9DA6DB943589 (resized).png415477E9-276C-46A8-9372-AE044F854FDF (resized).jpeg4CCDE739-D5C6-4B31-B07C-3ECD7AF1E3FB (resized).jpeg548CFCCC-CE7F-498D-8BAC-1CD47E4BA86D (resized).jpegB4A5111F-89FD-4A95-BFEA-398BD65EBC4B (resized).jpeg
#2753 52 days ago

Sweet group of Ballys there!

Take a look at each frame and see how each machine somewhat connects with the person it shares a scene with. I havent seen the movie in awhile so not sure if they did something like that.

#2754 50 days ago

New American Pickers last night, Hollywood Hot Rods (S22 / Episode 8), picking a guy in Ohio with a lot of arcade / pinball / amusement park stuff.

Way too many pins (all in pieces / disassembled), I started to do screen grabs but it was a lot. Mostly cabinet sides, or quick shorts of glass / playfields in the background.

Mike ended up buying a 1960 Gottlieb Wagon Train, drawn by the western / cowboys & indians theme

#2755 50 days ago
Quoted from JudeRussell:

New American Pickers last night, Hollywood Hot Rods (S22 / Episode 8), picking a guy in Ohio with a lot of arcade / pinball / amusement park stuff.
Way too many pins (all in pieces / disassembled), I started to do screen grabs but it was a lot. Mostly cabinet sides, or quick shorts of glass / playfields in the background.
Mike ended up buying a 1960 Gottlieb Wagon Train, drawn by the western / cowboys & indians theme

I saw that episode. He thought it was from the 40s but it was from 1960. He paid $550. I looked it up on Pinside and a fully refurbished Wagon Train was listed for $1200. If Mike gets it restored I don’t think there would be much left on the bone for him to make a profit.

#2756 50 days ago

I looked right past the pins, and to Tron and Star Wars arcades.

#2757 50 days ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Is this a movie or tv series?

Sorry for the ridiculously late reply (life right), but this is movie that I guess recently became a "cult classic" or whatever since no one watched it the first time.

I found it funny the kid in the film was rich enough to have his own mini-arcade/game room. I think there's a Star Wars arcade machine in this scene too.

#2758 49 days ago

Here's an oldie, from the 1950 noire "Quicksand". It's a pretty good flick where Mickey Rooney is an auto mechanic who soon resorts to being a low-down criminal. While he's burglarizing the arcade the cops see him and shoot the place up but they miss this pin. Can anybody id the game?

156491863_727307444600842_3180707033022643372_n (resized).jpg

#2759 49 days ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

Can anybody id the game?

Ballerina, Bally, 1948

image-1 (resized).jpg
#2760 48 days ago

My wife just called to let me know Season 3, Episode 15 of ER has a Bad Cats in it! I'll get a screen shot tonight.

#2761 48 days ago

The latest episode of FBI: Most Wanted had an old Baseball EM, a Jackbot (with the name taped over), and (I think) a WWE with an altered backglass.

#2762 48 days ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

The latest episode of FBI: Most Wanted had an old Baseball EM, a Jackbot (with the name taped over), and (I think) a WWE with an altered backglass.

Any pics?

#2763 48 days ago

Unfortunately, no. Sorry.

#2764 48 days ago
Quoted from Binkley:

Sorry for the ridiculously late reply (life right), but this is movie that I guess recently became a "cult classic" or whatever since no one watched it the first time.
I found it funny the kid in the film was rich enough to have his own mini-arcade/game room. I think there's a Star Wars arcade machine in this scene too.

Thanks. Got it updated.

#2765 48 days ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

My wife just called to let me know Season 3, Episode 15 of ER has a Bad Cats in it! I'll get a screen shot tonight.

Attached. There were a few other glimpses but this was the best shot. Amusing thing was it was making EM noises.

20210304_160439 (resized).jpg
#2766 48 days ago

#2767 48 days ago

Did anyone determine if/that Nic/Willy is playing a rethemed Devils Dare.

#2768 48 days ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Did anyone determine if/that Nic/Willy is playing a rethemed Devils Dare.

I'd put money on it.

#2769 48 days ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Negative. There's a baseball game (which you mentioned) and a Dialed In! by JJP, along with an AFM. They're renamed and obscured, of course, but that's *definitely* what they are. You probably saw the "Jack" in JJP and thought it was Jack*Bot, but it wasn't.

#2771 48 days ago

I called it.

The displays are a giveaway along with the location of the visible standups.

#2772 47 days ago
Quoted from boagman:

Negative. There's a baseball game (which you mentioned) and a Dialed In! by JJP, along with an AFM. They're renamed and obscured, of course, but that's *definitely* what they are. You probably saw the "Jack" in JJP and thought it was Jack*Bot, but it wasn't.

Yes, you are correct. I only got to see it as it went by. Going back to their site I was able to pause it on the scene and get this capture.

They certainly went out of their way to disguise the machines (cabinets and all). They even made the Dialed In look like it had a DMD.

The backbox images they used made it look like a modified JackBot and a renamed WWE, but you are right - they are actually AFM and Dialed In. At least that's what the playfields appear to be.

FBI (resized).png

#2773 47 days ago

Two more from ER Season 3 Episode 15

20210305_182704 (resized).jpg20210305_182736 (resized).jpg
#2774 47 days ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Two more from ER Season 3 Episode 15
[quoted image][quoted image]

Damn did that Bad Cats eat their quarters or what?

#2775 47 days ago

South Park for sure and I believe the other is Revenge from Mars

IMG_0124 (resized).JPGIMG_3666 (resized).JPG
#2776 47 days ago

Adventureland

13CCE510-55C4-40E5-9C19-895FE223EDD8 (resized).jpeg

#2777 47 days ago

Sea Shore in TV show from 1970s starring Roger Moore future James Bond. Also with Tony Curtis
Sea Shore in Persuaders with Tony Curtis

Sea Shore in Persuaders TV show from 70s (resized).pngTony Curtis with Sea Shore Pinball (resized).jpeg
#2778 47 days ago
Quoted from DDandB-KID:

Adventure land
[quoted image]

Skeeball machines in the background?

Also can anyone tell what is back to back with Gorgar?

#2779 47 days ago
Quoted from SunnRAT:

Skeeball machines in the background?
Also can anyone tell what is back to back with Gorgar?

While I can't be certain due to limited exposed artwork and such, if I had to guess it would be KISS.

#2780 47 days ago
Quoted from Carlo45:

Sea Shore in TV show from 1970s starring Roger Moore future James Bond. Also with Tony Curtis
Sea Shore in Persuaders with Tony Curtis

Any idea what episode this is from?

#2781 46 days ago

PinMonk You can watch the episode on Daily Motion season 1, ep 8 of "The Persuaders"

#2782 46 days ago
Quoted from Carlo45:

vireland You can watch the episode on Daily Motion season 1, ep 8 of "The Persuaders"

Thanks. Updated the index.

#2783 46 days ago
Quoted from boagman:

While I can't be certain due to limited exposed artwork and such, if I had to guess it would be KISS.

Looks like a Darling/Jubilee to me, note the cabinet artwork

#2784 46 days ago
Quoted from Classics_Master:

Looks like a Darling/Jubilee to me, note the cabinet artwork

That's exactly what made me think it was KISS. You could certainly be right. I'm just guessin'.

#2785 46 days ago
Quoted from Charlemagne1987:

I saw that episode. He thought it was from the 40s but it was from 1960. He paid $550. I looked it up on Pinside and a fully refurbished Wagon Train was listed for $1200. If Mike gets it restored I don’t think there would be much left on the bone for him to make a profit.

More like he's taking a loss, I wouldn't restore that for anything less than 1500, and that's just the mechanicals.

#2786 46 days ago

Season 3, Episode 10 on the Fugitive, I first saw an early 1950s (I think Chicago Coin)
Shuffle Bowler. Then a bit later, from a distance, I saw a pin with animation. I should have
had an idea what it was, but didn't. Then later in the episode, a close up.
If you happen to like this drama serious, this was a good episode. It was part 2 of episode

IMG_0357 (resized).JPGIMG_0356 (resized).JPGIMG_0358 (resized).JPG
#2787 46 days ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Season 3, Episode 10 on the Fugitive, I first saw an early 1950s (I think Chicago Coin)
Shuffle Bowler. Then a bit later, from a distance, I saw a pin with animation. I should have
If you happen to like this drama serious, this was a good episode. It was part 2 of episode
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Williams Nags (1960).

#2788 46 days ago
Quoted from Mopar:

This episode was already in the index.

#2789 46 days ago
379B1196-7CC8-4535-9125-59CE723A3697 (resized).jpegB80F69E4-3D97-4BDA-9603-EFC59AB8C377 (resized).jpeg
#2790 42 days ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

I didn't see this, but may have missed it mentioned. Jennifer's body has fire and i think high speed in a bar scene where the bar lights on fire

Since no one posted the pic from this yet.

fxh7g7518va41 (resized).png
#2791 37 days ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Attack from Mars (Bally-Midway) and Dialed In ! (Standard Edition) (Jersey Jack Pinball). S02 E07. 16'29.

#2792 37 days ago
Quoted from Corthesy:

Attack from Mars (Bally-Midway) and Dialed In ! (Standard Edition) (Jersey Jack Pinball). S02 E07. 16'29.

Already referenced/documented. Thanks.

#2793 34 days ago

Mary Tyler Moore - s5e17.
Delta Queen and Klondike in the background of a bar scene.
mtmpins (resized).jpg
They actually mention them as well. Lou says something along the lines of "If you want some exercise, they've got some pinball machines over there."

#2794 33 days ago

In the 1959 Otto Preminger film "Anatomy Of A Murder," there's a powered-off World Champ (Gottlieb, 1957) in the bar Jimmy Stewart's character investigates.

20210319_211926[2].jpg20210319_212035[2].jpg20210319_212528[2].jpg
#2795 32 days ago
Quoted from SonicZone:

In the 1959 Otto Preminger film "Anatomy Of A Murder," there's a powered-off World Champ (Gottlieb, 1957) in the bar Jimmy Stewart's character investigates.

Great movie by the way.

Also another reference to pinball in the movie. watch at about 56 seconds into the trailer:

#2796 32 days ago

#2797 32 days ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Saw this one the other day.
1948 "The Time of Your Life". James Cagney and William Bendix. There is a pinball machine in the center of the bar, one character in the movie is constantly playing it. Then he beats the game. All hell breaks loose, (I won't give it away) the back box is a movie prop.

I came here looking for info on that machine specifically. It is a movie prop? That movie has been in public domain forever so there are a lot of horrible prints of it out there, which makes it hard to really make out the machine. It sure looks real, but they could have just done a nice job mocking one up. Or it's a real pin with a fake backglass. Here's a decent print and a good shot of the machine as bartender Nick walks by it, though the pin is in the whole movie here and there as it's a one set film. (the video below is timed to that scene)

I can't make out any name on the backglass, but the score on it does reset when he pushes the coin chute in!

Great movie, btw. First saw it back in the early '90s and it has been a favorite since. In researching the machine, I saw they made six giant sized The Time of Your Life pinball machines, unrelated to the one in the movie, for promotion and charity. I'd certainly assume none are still around today.

image-2 (resized).jpg

#2798 32 days ago
Quoted from VALIS666:

I came here looking for info on that machine specifically. It is a movie prop? That movie has been in public domain forever so there are a lot of horrible prints of it out there, which makes it hard to really make out the machine. It sure looks real, but they could have just done a nice job mocking one up. Or it's a real pin with a fake backglass. Here's a decent print and a good shot of the machine as bartender Nick walks by it, though the pin is in the whole movie here and there as it's a one set film. (the video below is timed to that scene)

I can't make out any name on the backglass, but the score on it does reset when he pushes the coin chute in!
Great movie, btw. First saw it back in the early '90s and it has been a favorite since. In researching the machine, I saw they made six giant sized The Time of Your Life pinball machines, unrelated to the one in the movie, for promotion and charity. I'd certainly assume none are still around today.
[quoted image]

I owned this game for a few years. Here's a link to an article explaining how it was found and how I acquired it along with photos. I donated the game to the Pacific Pinball Museum a while back along with a stack of movie posters, photos and original scripts from the movie. The museum has promised to make a permanent display of the game someday. http://www.pingeek.com/film/time/time.htm

Edit: I had a few phone calls with Richard Erdman who played "Willie, The Marble Game Maniac" in the movie. He remembered his role in the movie fondly and had an almost photographic memory of his scenes. He lived in L.A. at the time and was still acting and making appearances at Sci-Fi conventions around the country, primarily for his work in a few Twilight Zone episodes. I had hoped that the Pacific Pinball Museum would try to contact him to make an appearance with the game but it never happened. Sadly he died in 2019 at the age of 93.

#2799 32 days ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

I owned this game for a few years. Here's a link to an article explaining how it was found and how I acquired it along with photos. I donated the game to the Pacific Pinball Museum a while back along with a stack of movie posters, photos and original scripts from the movie. The museum has promised to make a permanent display of the game someday. http://www.pingeek.com/film/time/time.htm
Edit: I had a few phone calls with Richard Erdman who played "Willie, The Marble Game Maniac" in the movie. He remembered his role in the movie fondly and had an almost photographic memory of his scenes. He lived in L.A. at the time and was still acting and making appearances at Sci-Fi conventions around the country, primarily for his work in a few Twilight Zone episodes. I had hoped that the Pacific Pinball Museum would try to contact him to make an appearance with the game but it never happened. Sadly he died in 2019 at the age of 93.

Amazing story Dennis, thanks. I hope the museum puts it on the floor one day.

So has any collector owned or even seen the giant-sized The Time of Your Life machines?

#2800 32 days ago
Quoted from VALIS666:

I came here looking for info on that machine specifically. It is a movie prop? That movie has been in public domain forever so there are a lot of horrible prints of it out there, which makes it hard to really make out the machine.

It is a real machine - 1776, made in 1948.

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=4909 - It is even noted in the IPDB write-up that it was in the movie. What is cool about this is it had a moving backglass to reveal another BG behind it. No info on who made it though.

image-1 (resized).jpgimage-2 (resized).jpg
There are 2898 posts in this topic. You are on page 56 of 58.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside