(Topic ID: 26437)

Pinball in movies or TV shows? Name a game you have seen in the background?

By Jackontherocks

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,832 posts
  • 729 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 hours ago by look_busy
  • Topic is favorited by 139 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Bad News Tour - Fortune (resized).png
surlacorderaide06-big (resized).jpg
surlacorderaide04-big (resized).jpg
surlacorderaide01-big (resized).jpg
image-2 (resized).jpg
WUSA 1 (resized).jpg
WUSA 2 (resized).jpg
Flip A Card (resized).JPG
Card Trix (resized).JPG
Mannix S07E05-2 (resized).JPG
Mannix S07E05 (resized).JPG
vlcsnap-2024-04-09-10h37m00s387 (resized).png
Allied Leisure Crack shot from episode (resized).JPG
Allied Leisure Crack Shot (1972) (resized).JPG
Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 2.12.58?PM (resized).png
Screenshot (1) (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

1271 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 4,832 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 97.
#1201 5 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Rumble in the Bronx with Jackie Chan. This clip on YouTube shows the scene with 4 pins. One is a nice Bally Strikes and Spares, I can’t ID the others offhand. You get various nice shots of the machines in the first part of the scene, then at about the 3 minutes mark the pins become center stage and part of the action! And destroyed in the process.

Just watched this movie again, while it is completely silly in every possible way it’s still a classic. Because. Jackie Chan. It has one of his best all time stunts where he jumps from the top of one building and lands on a balcony on a building ACROSS THE STREET. No wires, no CGI, completely real. Unbelievable. The outtakes at the end show him breaking his leg making a jump onto the hovercraft, as well as multiple stunt men and women breaking their legs and getting badly hurt doing motorcycle stunts. Crazy.

Best Jackie Chan movie in my opinion!!

I remember those pins take an absolute beating in that scene!

#1202 5 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

This clip on YouTube shows the scene with 4 pins. One is a nice Bally Strikes and Spares, I can’t ID the others offhand

From left to right:
Bally Strikes and Spares, 1978
Gottlieb Flying Chariots, 1963
Williams Darling, 1973
Interflip Dragon, 1977

#1203 5 years ago

I was very concerned about the fate of my favorite redhead so I had a look at the digital file on my computer. My conclusion from what I see is that the moviemakers didn't have the heart to destroy that beautiful Strikes and Spares backglass

As the fight develops, it seems here that this is a normal SS backglass, all intact.

Rumble in the Bronx 1 (resized).jpgRumble in the Bronx 1 (resized).jpg

A brief instant later, and now the backglass looks weird. It is not intact, it has a hole in, but it doesn't really look the same. It has weird edges and textures. Also, note the the positioning of the machines has magically changed, when everything started SS was the one all the way on the left. Now there is one to the left of it.

Rumble in the Bronx 2 (resized).jpgRumble in the Bronx 2 (resized).jpg

An instant after that, this guy gives the left side of the backbox a good whack with his baseball bat. If you watch it very closely you can see the fake backglass waver back and forth a little bit where the hole or tear is. No way can it be glass. Look like it is a sheet of plastic.

Rumble in the Bronx 3 (resized).jpgRumble in the Bronx 3 (resized).jpg

Finally a few seconds after that, and the backglass is entirely gone. Hopefully someone saved it and has it hanging in their garage! It also looks like SS has moved in the row once again as now there are 2 machines left of it.

Rumble in the Bronx 4 (resized).jpgRumble in the Bronx 4 (resized).jpg

Additional edit: There might be some movie magic involved, like fake glass. But from I can see after watching this a few times, it looks to me like they are really smashing the playfield glass (which acts like safety glass) with baseball bats. You can see Jackie Chan shielding his face with his arm each time they do it, but even so he is showered with that spraying glass. Same for when they smash a backglass. I would guess that for any other movie this would all be fake glass, but given that this is JC, I guess that its real. He is crazy and something like that is nothing compared to all the stuff he does for real.

#1204 5 years ago

At 3:01 the Dragon backglass is hit dead center but does not break. Then it is pushed, but not hurt. Someone wanted to spare Dragon, but Darling got blasted. Someone must have really hated Flying Chariots because that one got a real beating. What did NicoVolta call it, ‘Flying Chances?’ Nope, looked it up and he called it ‘Flying Hopes!’ Apparently, there are some good reasons for people to dislike Flying Chariots.

There is definitely some ‘magical musical pinball’ going on it that scene. The sound effects are campy. It looks like some good Hollywood fun going on - like a ‘rumble’ version of the great pie fight!

#1205 5 years ago

I still have it loaded so I watched that part again stepwise. It looks like he intentionally pulled up just short with the bat to avoid hitting the Dragon backglass. Then like you said, Darling takes a total smash, that looks pretty much for real. Also, I just noticed how the cuts went LOL. Jacki Chan is standing right on Strikes and Spares and the guy is swinging the bat forward toward the backglass, but then it cuts and all of sudden it has turned into Darling instead of Strikes and Spares! And Darling takes the hit. Someone said save the redhead for sure.

#1206 5 years ago

French Alain Delon -movie 'LE SAMOURAI' from 1967
with Bally Capersville.
The machine on the left is most likely a Williams Eager Beaver (Lowcharger-cabinet with old-style Flipper-Buttons and no artwork beneath Buttons and Siderail)

DSCI0147 (resized).jpgDSCI0147 (resized).jpgDSCI0154 (resized).jpgDSCI0154 (resized).jpg
#1207 5 years ago
Quoted from Mardi-Gras-Man:

French Alain Delon -movie 'LE SAMOURAI' from 1967
with Bally Capersville.
The machine on the left is most likely a Williams Eager Beaver (Lowcharger-cabinet with old-style Flipper-Buttons and no artwork beneath Buttons and Siderail)
[quoted image][quoted image]

Any Idea what the Gottlieb in the foreground is?

#1208 5 years ago

Was watching malcolm in the middle and seen these. Not often you see a cactus canyon in person or on tv. The one to the left is NGG.

20180912_223721 (resized).jpg20180912_223721 (resized).jpg
#1209 5 years ago

The Getaway: High Speed 2. On Better Call Saul tonight. Complete with bells and chimes like it was a game from the 70s. Haha

611D8C54-7B60-43AD-89CE-8CB5B5D2B702.jpeg611D8C54-7B60-43AD-89CE-8CB5B5D2B702.jpeg
#1210 5 years ago

new budwieser ad has a bar scene with what looks like a corvette and lotr? i'll snap a pic next time i see it.

#1211 5 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

The Getaway: High Speed 2. On Better Call Saul tonight. Complete with bells and chimes like it was a game from the 70s. Haha
[quoted image]

I was laughing at that, my brain didn’t put it together right away as the sounds didn’t match the video I was seeing.

#1212 5 years ago

"Breaking and Exiting" 2018 (Stern Elvis)

bande1 (resized).pngbande1 (resized).pngbande2 (resized).pngbande2 (resized).png
#1213 5 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

[quoted image]

Yeah, I saw that too and laughed at the sound but I guess they had to make it sound like an old pin for effect.

20180917_221545_resized (resized).jpg20180917_221545_resized (resized).jpg20180917_221809_resized (resized).jpg20180917_221809_resized (resized).jpg
#1214 5 years ago

or they didn't get the rights to La Grange from ZZ Top.

#1215 5 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

From left to right:
Bally Strikes and Spares, 1978
Gottlieb Flying Chariots, 1963
Williams Darling, 1973
Interflip Dragon, 1977

That Flying Chariots sure gets a lot of screen time, since he used it for cover and then ended up tossing it! Perhaps I should use that as a selling point when I get around to selling mine.

For those who haven't seen this portion of the scene:

#1217 5 years ago
Quoted from jp1985:

There is an EM in the bar on the new HBO show “Sharp Objects” I coudn’t identify it. It comes into focus for about 3 seconds, I will try to rewatch.

That one was a head-scratcher. Kept hoping for a clear shot of it.

Quoted from Jakers:

[quoted image]

Sought out this thread soon as I saw that scene last night. One of my perennial TV and Film bugbears. How hard is it for sound engineers to get the machine sound right for the era at least, even if its not feasible to make a recording of the actual machine lol. I do have some personal experience in production which probably why I notice it so much.

#1218 5 years ago

Nickelodeon's "Are You Afraid of the Dark" Season 3 Episode 10, "The Tale of the Dream Girl." Aired in 1994. Twilight Zone clearly visible at a bowling alley the main character visits on the show.

IMG_20180917_181102 (resized).jpgIMG_20180917_181102 (resized).jpg
#1219 5 years ago

NFL network morning show has a NFL bears pin

IMG_20180919_105618 (resized).jpgIMG_20180919_105618 (resized).jpg
#1220 5 years ago

French Belmondo-movie 'PIERROT LE FOU' from 1965
Gottlieb's 1965 SKY-LINE and Bally 1964 MAD WORLD in a Bowling-Center in South-France.
Actress ANNA KARINA

Anna Karina Flipper Pierrot Le Fou (resized).jpgAnna Karina Flipper Pierrot Le Fou (resized).jpgBelmondo Flipper Pierrot Le Fou (resized).jpgBelmondo Flipper Pierrot Le Fou (resized).jpg
#1221 5 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Any Idea what the Gottlieb in the foreground is?

It's not a Gottlieb, just have a closer look then you'll agree. It's the mentioned Williams Lowcharger-Style Machine. I'm quite sure it's an Eager Beaver because there is no visible artwork beneath the siderail and it has the old-style Flipper-Buttons.

#1222 5 years ago
Quoted from Mardi-Gras-Man:

French Belmondo-movie 'PIERROT LE FOU' from 1965

My favorite Godard film!

#1223 5 years ago

"Better Call Saul", there is a HS II: Getaway pinball machine in the work quarters of the German construction team that are building the underground Meth Lab for Gustavo. Easily identifiable in unchanged form from both the cabinet and backglass. I was surprised it was not mentioned when Mike was laying out the requirements of the quarters for entertainment purposes such as the foosball table, bar, and basketball court which was part of his recommendations.

#1224 5 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

"Better Call Saul", there is a HS II: Getaway pinball machine in the work quarters of the German construction team that are building the underground Meth Lab for Gustavo. Easily identifiable in unchanged form from both the cabinet and backglass. I was surprised it was not mentioned when Mike was laying out the requirements of the quarters for entertainment purposes such as the foosball table, bar, and basketball court which was part of his recommendations.

Ahh yeah mentioned already in posts #1209 and #1213 and also my own comment in #1218 on this page.

#1225 5 years ago

Don't think this one has been mentioned yet. In the TV show Northern Exposure there is a pinball and baseball video game in the town bar, The Brick.

Baseball videogame (resized).jpgBaseball videogame (resized).jpgpinball (resized).jpgpinball (resized).jpg
#1226 5 years ago

The pin is a 1968 Williams hayburners II.

#1227 5 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

Don't think this one has been mentioned yet. In the TV show Northern Exposure there is a pinball and baseball video game in the town bar, The Brick.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Quoted from Pecos:

The pin is a 1968 Williams hayburners II.

... and the video game is a 1977 Midway Tornado Baseball:

Midway Tornado Baseball  (resized).JPGMidway Tornado Baseball (resized).JPG
1 week later
#1228 5 years ago

There is this kids show soap-opera drama called “I Am Frankie” and I had just left the TV on and noticed that there is a pinball machine in the background!

The show is cheesy and lame but I always love that even new shows randomly place pinball machines in the background!

This doesn’t appear to be a real game, I guess this is another case of them putting some sort of cover over the backglass to avoid licensing or any legal issues that could arise?

069D7F19-4D18-43F8-B382-7D390BB166C5.jpeg069D7F19-4D18-43F8-B382-7D390BB166C5.jpeg97DB479B-4F06-4390-8A7C-730C5727C7BB.jpeg97DB479B-4F06-4390-8A7C-730C5727C7BB.jpeg
#1229 5 years ago

I'm sure Deadpool was mentioned earlier in this thread. ANybody know which game?

#1230 5 years ago

Young Sheldon S2 Ep3, 'A crisis of Faith'. In the bar scenes there is a pin in the background, possibly Flip Flop. Not sure.

#1231 5 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

This doesn’t appear to be a real game, I guess this is another case of them putting some sort of cover over the backglass to avoid licensing or any legal issues that could arise?

It’s a 1977 Williams Big Deal with part of player one’s score reels covered and all of player’s two and four score reels covered.

#1232 5 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

It’s a 1977 Williams Big Deal with part of player one’s score reels covered and all of player’s two and four score reels covered.

Why would they bother doing that?

#1233 5 years ago
Quoted from VectorGamer:

Why would they bother doing that?

Blocking with the actors - they didn't want the white line of the score reel sticking out of someone's head - so says my daughter, the theater director....

#1234 5 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Young Sheldon S2 Ep3, 'A crisis of Faith'. In the bar scenes there is a pin in the background, possibly Flip Flop. Not sure.

Yes, it is a Flip Flop

#1235 5 years ago

7:50 into the Charlie's Angel's episode "Angels on Skates" Bosley goes into a skate shop with two Williams pinball machines. One is pretty obvious. The other may not be.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6g2au5

#1236 5 years ago
Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 6.56.39 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-10-05 at 6.56.39 PM (resized).png
#1237 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

[quoted image]

Even Bosley couldn't care less aboot the pinball machines (Spanish Eyes and ?) with those legs in front of him. Where was she when I used to go to to the Rollerdrome?

#1238 5 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

(Spanish Eyes and ?)

The other one is what my dad used to say about over rated things.

image-5 (resized).jpgimage-5 (resized).jpg
#1239 5 years ago

Watching TV show Tanked and Dwight Howard of Rockets has custom Skittles with him on it.

C0131CD2-DF92-4E1F-9D0B-C5AE0EC825A1 (resized).jpegC0131CD2-DF92-4E1F-9D0B-C5AE0EC825A1 (resized).jpeg
#1240 5 years ago

A bunch from The Deuce. There are others like a Target Pool, but I couldn't get good screen shots.

deuce 2 (resized).jpegdeuce 2 (resized).jpegdeuce 3 (resized).jpegdeuce 3 (resized).jpegdeuce 4 (resized).jpegdeuce 4 (resized).jpegthe deuce (resized).jpegthe deuce (resized).jpeg
#1241 5 years ago

That’s either a 1972 Williams Spanish Eyes or Granada in the background of pics two and four.

#1242 5 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

A bunch from The Deuce. There are others like a Target Pool, but I couldn't get good screen shots.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Quoted from Pecos:

That’s either a 1972 Williams Spanish Eyes or Granada in the background of pics two and four.

And a Bally Circus in picture #3

#1243 5 years ago

They've done the arthritis ad, but now I wanna see a pinball machine in an erectile dysfunction medication ad, then we will know for sure this hobby has arrived!

#1244 5 years ago

Another one that has not been mentioned. From the movie Singles, described as 'Cameron Crowe’s love letter to the Seattle grunge scene'

Bridget Fonda, Matt Dillon, Kyra Sedgwick, Campbell Scott

Cameos galore Eric Stoltz, Jeremy Piven, Crowe, Tim Burton, Paul Giamatti, Pearl Jam, Chris Cornell, Pat DiNizio (from The Smithereens)

Performances by Alice in Chains and Soundgarden - overall a fantastic 90s soundtrack

20181011_131759 (resized).jpg20181011_131759 (resized).jpg20181011_132259 (resized).jpg20181011_132259 (resized).jpg
#1245 5 years ago

Looks like a 1969 Williams Smart Set

Backglass2 (resized).jpgBackglass2 (resized).jpg

#1246 5 years ago

another from "The Deuce"

a different set, but some of the same games....

deuce (resized).jpegdeuce (resized).jpeg
#1247 5 years ago

Caught this in the opening of "Auction Kings"
Auction Kings.jpgAuction Kings.jpg

#1248 5 years ago

BLY Boomerang

#1249 5 years ago

Saw this in a YouTube video about Tony Hawks collectibles. Forward to 18:42 to see pinball machine.

DCB9928A-8211-4FBD-85F3-A8E82BB6D300 (resized).jpegDCB9928A-8211-4FBD-85F3-A8E82BB6D300 (resized).jpeg
#1250 5 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Caught this in the opening of "Auction Kings"
[quoted image]

... I don't think so:
Auction Kings.jpgAuction Kings.jpg

Boomerang (resized).jpgBoomerang (resized).jpg
(from IPDB)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

2,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carpentersville, IL
$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
Machine - For Sale
Etten-leur, NB
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 4,832 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 97.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-in-movies-or-tv-shows-name-a-game-you-have-seen-in-the-background/page/25?hl=jakers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.