Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by jorge5240
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    39105520-brigde-on-the-hana-highway-across-the-wailua-nui-stream-near-the-upper-waikuni-falls-on-maui-island-_(resized).jpg
    1077973_(resized).jpg
    Travaasa_Hana_usn_8_(resized).jpg
    pgal-95713-1311612985-full_(resized).jpg
    DSCF3710_(resized).JPG
    DSCF3705_(resized).JPG
    DSCF3720_(resized).JPG
    cool_Cats.jpg
    There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

Going on holiday in Maui near Kaanapali. Any great places to the pin at night ?

Thank you in advance

#2 10 years ago

I stayed at the Hyatt Regencey in February-March and didn't see any. In all fairness though, I wasn't looking.

#3 10 years ago

check out the Cool Cat (burgers & stuff) in Lahaina. They had a couple machines last year ("newer" Sterns).

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from rad:

check out the Cool Cat (burgers & stuff) in Lahaina. They had a couple machines last year ("newer" Sterns).</blockquote
    Dammit!!! - we had a coupon to go there, but went to some Mexican place instead underneath of it. Amigos maybe?

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from paragon66x:

Dammit!!! - we had a coupon to go there, but went to some Mexican place instead underneath of it. Amigos maybe?

Better go back...

#6 10 years ago

Go to the beach and have a Fire Rock ale instead

#7 10 years ago

We stayed at the Whaler in Kaanapoli, my uncle had a time share there. There used to be a bowling alley on the windward side of the island that had 5 old pinballs but that was a very long time ago and I don't even know if the bowling alley is still there. I remember it being a place that you wouldn't want to go to after dark if you don't live there.

Steve

7 months later
    #8 9 years ago

FWIW, I went to Cool Cat for my honeymoon last week and there were no pins there...just arcades. BUMMER!

1 year later
    #9 8 years ago

Any update info? Were here now and want to play a few games.....

#10 8 years ago

Bet if you ask either your concierge they may be able to advise a spot

G

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from blownfuse:

We stayed at the Whaler in Kaanapoli, my uncle had a time share there. There used to be a bowling alley on the windward side of the island that had 5 old pinballs but that was a very long time ago and I don't even know if the bowling alley is still there. I remember it being a place that you wouldn't want to go to after dark if you don't live there.
    Steve

That's where I stay for the past few years, use to stay a few minutes down the road at Alii. Only pins I have ever heard of while going for plus 20 years is the recent cool cat in downtown but never been, but mostly I would not look for pins when in Maui, too much ocean and Happy hour for me. When I was young the Hyatt use to have an underground arcade but now a children's center and Marriot had one but now a laundry only center. Upper part at Marriott had small arcade but no pins and probably would not be in best condition.

#12 8 years ago

Hey guys, I'm planning to go over to Maui next month. Looking to book now. Any places to stay that you would recommend or avoid? No kids, just going on a late second honeymoon.

Mac

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from Sheprd:

Hey guys, I'm planning to go over to Maui next month. Looking to book now. Any places to stay that you would recommend or avoid? No kids, just going on a late second honeymoon.
    Mac

If staying in Maui, stay in Kaanapali. Best weather, right by Lahaina and Kapalua, and plenty of things to see and do- and you can drive to the more 'boring" spots in Maui like Wailea, Paia, Kihei, etc.

If staying there I suggest renting a condo from VRBO.com, or AirBNB. For resorts, the better ones in Kaanapali will be the Westin, Sheraton, and Hyatt. Also, Kapalua is right next door and they have the Ritz-Carlton which is an amazing property, but it is windier and can be cloudier over in Kapalua (but its beautiful and more green though)

For pinball, I would think somewhere in Lahaina is your best bet- the hotels in Kaanapali have some arcades I'm sure.

#14 8 years ago

You are in one of the most beautiful places on the planet. Don't worry about pinball.

#15 8 years ago

Cool Cat doesn't have pins anymore.

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

If staying in Maui, stay in Kaanapali. Best weather, right by Lahaina and Kapalua, and plenty of things to see and do- and you can drive to the more 'boring" spots in Maui like Wailea, Paia, Kihei, etc.
    If staying there I suggest renting a condo from VRBO.com, or AirBNB. For resorts, the better ones in Kaanapali will be the Westin, Sheraton, and Hyatt. Also, Kapalua is right next door and they have the Ritz-Carlton which is an amazing property, but it is windier and can be cloudier over in Kapalua (but its beautiful and more green though)
    For pinball, I would think somewhere in Lahaina is your best bet- the hotels in Kaanapali have some arcades I'm sure.

Agree, stay right on Kaanapali strip. The Whaler condos or Kaanapali Alii are the best. Go through vrbo.com. It relaxing and happy hour. Not much night life but that's not what I go there for over the last several years. Just relax and enjoy beach and cooking in with fish and happy hour at hula grill if it comes back, or Tiki bar next store.

#17 8 years ago

No pins found. More looking tomorrow however.

#18 8 years ago

I'll be there in a week and a half right as the polar vortex comes in So pls post if u find any pins.
    Thanks

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from Sheprd:

Mac

I stayed at the Sheraton on Black Rock. Best place for the $$ IMO. Booked through Costco travel. Rent a jeep, and take the Road to Hana, i actually made it around the hole island they act like a part is dangerous to drive on but it was fine. i missed the bamboo forest which i heard was cool, lots of cool hiking spots! have fun!

#20 8 years ago

Those back roads at the end of the road to Hana are fun. Its like something from mad Mad Max with all the red dirt, lava boulders and burnt autos around. We did it in a Nissan Maxima. They tell you not to but I have never done want I was told. If I would have had a 4 door jeep I would have torn it up.

#21 8 years ago

I took the road to Hana, it was sort of fun, but pretty stressful.. It wasn't so much that it was dangerous, it was that it was busy.. and there are certain sections where only one car can pass. I wouldn't mind doing it again, I think i'd just do it at a different time of day.

#22 8 years ago

The other side of Maui is just as bad. I rode it on a Harley. Fun

#23 8 years ago

OK, here is my .02 worth.

Staying in Kaanapali. I like the Hyatt. Stayed there a few times. Club level floors are nice as they have snacks avail most of the time. You say big deal. Everything is expensive in Hawaii. It is nice to be able to have access to this kind of ammenity.

If your staying in Wailea, I highly suggest the Grand Wailea Resort or if finances permit, The Four Seasons. Just beautiful.

In Kapalua, The Ritz has my vote.

As for things to do, Kaanapali would have the most to do with Whalers Village, and then either Kapalua or Wailea. If tyour a beach person, I would suggest Kaanapali.

Hope this is helpful. Lahania in the eve was nice to stroll through.

G

#24 8 years ago

ill be there hopefully next week. Ive always wanted to stay at grand wailea and hilton waiakoloa in kona. Those pools look amazing. The wailea has the only water elevator in world, gotta try it with kids.

#25 8 years ago

I never understood why people like Wailea so much. I stayed at the Four Seasons one year, and it was a great property- but that side of the island is utterly boring. Lots of old folks in their golf carts and snobs. Guess they don't like the early 30's crowd mixing with them or something. The Kaanapali/Lahaina/Kapalua side of the island is the ticket, especially if you like the beaches and things to do at night. Nothing beats it. Wailea you get the high prices, with the lowest amount of things to see and do. If you are old and like to play golf and sit at your resort all day long, by all means, stay in Wailea.

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from Kahanaohana:

ill be there hopefully next week. Ive always wanted to stay at grand wailea and hilton waiakoloa in kona. Those pools look amazing. The wailea has the only water elevator in world, gotta try it with kids.

I have always heard that if taking kids the Grand Wailea is the thing to do. If you aren't bringing the kids, stay away from Wailea and go have some fun on the other side of the island

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

I never understood why people like Wailea so much. I stayed at the Four Seasons one year, and it was a great property- but that side of the island is utterly boring. Lots of old folks in their golf carts and snobs. Guess they don't like the early 30's crowd mixing with them or something. The Kaanapali/Lahaina/Kapalua side of the island is the ticket, especially if you like the beaches and things to do at night. Nothing beats it. Wailea you get the high prices, with the lowest amount of things to see and do. If you are old and like to play golf and sit at your resort all day long, by all means, stay in Wailea.

probably because ive been all around lahaina and kaanapali when i was younger and used to look at those resorts in wailea and dream..some day ill stay there. we'll the time has come, i have kids and want to ck it out. after i stay once ill probably never go back, its the grass is greenier thing probably. Back to my $79/night room at Uncle Billys

#28 8 years ago

Still no pinballs found but the looking has tapered off......were staying in Paia town so it's quite always off the west side area for resorts. The road to Hana was stress out going but on the way back I turned it into a fun game by tailgating through the one lane bridge sections and made it back in record time! There's a BBQ hut on the way there we tried that was great. Fresh coconuts too. Looks like a shit hole but the chicken was super delish. Aloha !

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from Fishbeadtwo:

were staying in Paia town

One of my favorite things to eat on the island is the ono buger at Paia Fish Market-you have to try it. Some cool things to do near where you are staying is the bamboo forest hike which is a public hike and awesome. Also if you can find someone in the know there is a hike called commando hike where you wade through waste deep water in pitch black lava tubes climbing waterfalls in the dark only to emerge at the top of the lush forest. To get back down you jump off 60 foot waterfall. It was the coolest hike I have ever been on.

#30 8 years ago

how bout pinball on the big island.any places to play?

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

One of my favorite things to eat on the island is the ono buger at Paia Fish Market-you have to try it. Some cool things to do near where you are staying is the bamboo forest hike which is a public hike and awesome. Also if you can find someone in the know there is a hike called commando hike where you wade through waste deep water in pitch black lava tubes climbing waterfalls in the dark only to emerge at the top of the lush forest. To get back down you jump off 60 foot waterfall. It was the coolest hike I have ever been on.

I have heard of this recently. We usually do ou own hike through the bamboo forest and get to see 3 or 4 waterfalls way better than the Twin Falls one.

#32 8 years ago

The Ono fish sandwich at Paia Fish Market is not to be overlooked! We hit Cool Cats in Lahina Town and saw no pins in the arcade/game room.

cool_Cats.jpgcool_Cats.jpg

#33 8 years ago

Heading to wailea in two weeks. We are staying a Ho Lei, which are the town house attached to the grand. No pinball for me while I am there. But I do have kids and I will say the grand is the way to go to keep them occupied.

I am just going to sit my ass on the beach.

If you do make it to wailea go to mulligans bar on the golf course. Relatively cheap and a really cool Irish pub. Can't wait to catch a warriors game there.

#34 8 years ago

We got home this am so it's back to mainland reality till next time.......but the upside there plenty of pinball to play now!

#35 8 years ago

How were your kids on the flight? I took my 18mo on a flight to Philly, and it was the most stressful thing I've ever done in my life. She was good overall, but she didn't really want to sit for that long (1.5 hours..) and carrying all of that extra gear just piled on.

I'd love to get back out to hawaii, but I'm not really interested in leaving my kid behind for that long, and I'm also not sure I'm interested in bringing her with (about 12 hours from here).

#36 8 years ago

No kids in tow. It was long trip headed west from Seattle through San Jose Ca switch plane then 6 hours to Maui. Shorter ride coming back on the red eye, not sure if I'll do that again however......got home at 7:30 am and went to bed for 6 hours to recover.

#37 8 years ago

I looked for pinball in Maui last month, and could not find any. I got excited when I was driving through Kihei and saw an arcade sign on a stripmall. Unfortunately it recently got converted into a tattoo parlor, but the arcade sign is still up outside. Good luck on your searches guys! Let us know if you find any. Aloha!

1 week later
    #38 8 years ago

just got back from Maui, walked all around Lahaina and went into cool cats, didnt see any pins around. I forgot how ridiculously perfect the weather is on the west side of Maui. Water was flat like a lake and it was 85 degrees, going back next week to bike down Haleakala and snorkel Molokini, 2 things on my bucket list. I will report if I see any pins.

#39 8 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Those back roads at the end of the road to Hana are fun. Its like something from mad Mad Max with all the red dirt, lava boulders and burnt autos around. We did it in a Nissan Maxima. They tell you not to but I have never done want I was told. If I would have had a 4 door jeep I would have torn it up.

I did it in a Jeep, made it just fine! Just don't run into the cows. All the way around the other side of the island from Hana. Long ass trek.

#40 8 years ago

Man, all this talk of Maui and nobody suggested staying in Hana, which I think is the best part of the island by far. The resort is expensive and not super ritzy but you can't beat that location. That's the "real" Hawaii as far as I'm concerned. Wailea is great for it's perfect weather and the Monkey Pod has great drinks but that part of the island is fabricated. I got bored of Lahiaina the quickest. It sort of reminded me of Myrtle Beach or something with all the tourist stuff and T-shirts. The art galleries were cool but one night there was enough for me.

#41 8 years ago

We spent a day in Hana, you're right, it was really a cool place to see. I checked hotel rates after all of this talk, and I couldn't believe how expensive it was (without looking again, I think it was 400+ a night). I enjoyed the North Shore of Oahu almost as much as Hana (maybe more), so I think I'd pocket the change and stay there, personally.

#42 8 years ago
    Quoted from Fishbeadtwo:

The Ono fish sandwich at Paia Fish Market is not to be overlooked! We hit Cool Cats in Lahina Town and saw no pins in the arcade/game room.

cool_Cats.jpg

Hmmm...When I was there they weren't in the arcade room. They were near the bar. But sounds like they are probably gone.

1 week later
    #43 8 years ago
    Quoted from BobC:

Hmmm...When I was there they weren't in the arcade room. They were near the bar. But sounds like they are probably gone.

Yesterday, Instead of just looking through window into arcade, i walked inside and around corner of bar and there are no pins. on a side note I checked a Maui bucket list item off my list. Rented a bike and hitch hiked up to actual summit of Haleakala (tour companies arent allowed to top anymore), 35 degrees, 35 miles down hill to beach, what a rush. 4 layers of long sleeves, garden gloves, and helmet. Went from freezing cold to a car I had to crank the ac in.

DSCF3720_(resized).JPGDSCF3720_(resized).JPG

DSCF3705_(resized).JPGDSCF3705_(resized).JPG

DSCF3710_(resized).JPGDSCF3710_(resized).JPG

#44 8 years ago

Nice one. My wife and I went up and hiked in the cold rain with very little visibility. It was pretty damn surreal.

#45 8 years ago

Me and my wife drove over to Hana in about 1994.The people there didn't seem to like tourists at all.We felt like we were in a bad part of town.Could'nt wait to get back to Kehei.I don't know if it's any different now.

#46 8 years ago

kehei now the bad part of town!

#48 8 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

Me and my wife drove over to Hana in about 1994.The people there didn't seem to like tourists at all.We felt like we were in a bad part of town.Could'nt wait to get back to Kehei.I don't know if it's any different now.

LOL. Bad part of town

pgal-95713-1311612985-full_(resized).jpgpgal-95713-1311612985-full_(resized).jpg

Travaasa_Hana_usn_8_(resized).jpgTravaasa_Hana_usn_8_(resized).jpg

1077973_(resized).jpg1077973_(resized).jpg

39105520-brigde-on-the-hana-highway-across-the-wailua-nui-stream-near-the-upper-waikuni-falls-on-maui-island-_(resized).jpg39105520-brigde-on-the-hana-highway-across-the-wailua-nui-stream-near-the-upper-waikuni-falls-on-maui-island-_(resized).jpg

#49 8 years ago

What I meant is the native people over there didn't like tourists.It was very beautiful.Dangerous drive though.

#50 8 years ago

its a different place now. They realized the tourists are always going to keep coming so they figured out better ways to make money off of us and stop being snobs.. now they sell every kind of smoothie, pig, fish tacos, and weed!

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-in-maui and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.