(Topic ID: 253651)

Pinball in Dentist Office?

By ktrain315

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Pinball in Dentist Office?”

• YES 55 votes
      67%
    • NO 27 votes
      33%

(82 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E0C6C7C3-22B5-4A77-A707-A749C90146AC.jpeg
    19D1C3CE-CBF6-45A4-A759-7664A7A9B483.jpeg
    A8C9092D-EFBA-4170-A263-2FF629A5239E.jpeg
    3EDFE358-0F09-49B8-B984-C993665CE1A1.jpeg
    25E43C80-2C19-44DE-A1DF-D45A9047DC2F.jpeg
    619CA6A1-A9FB-493E-B4D6-A84B98C684D9.jpeg
    FA9F1E60-EE60-4BA5-98EC-2B497F2728D0 (resized).jpeg
    Unknown (resized).jpg
    20190906_130923 (resized).jpg
    20190906_130907 (resized).jpg
    20190906_130857 (resized).jpg
    20190906_093512 (resized).jpg
    20190906_093505 (resized).jpg
    20190906_093410 (resized).jpg
    20190906_093400 (resized).jpg
    20190906_093342 (resized).jpg

There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 4 years ago

I'm a dentist and I'm thinking about putting one of my pinball machines (on free play) in my patient waiting room. Maybe like an EM because its simple and has the ding and dong and all that. My staff isn't too thrilled. What do you think, is it a dumb idea?

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from ktrain315:

I'm a dentist and I'm thinking about putting one of my pinball machines (on free play) in my patient waiting room. Maybe like an EM because its simple and has the ding and dong and all that. My staff isn't too thrilled. What do you think, is it a dumb idea?

I bought my SM many years ago from a dentists office. I think an EM might be too loud. You can't control the volume like you can on a modern SS game.

#3 4 years ago

It's either listening to ding, dongs, clicks and clacks all day, or the screech of an air drill. I know what my choice would be. I would definitely play if my dentist had one. Besides, dentist offices can be creepily quiet...

#4 4 years ago

I love the idea ! Go for it !

#5 4 years ago

I'll see if I can try to dampen the sounds with felt or something.

#6 4 years ago

We all love pinball but maybe a multicade would be better??

#7 4 years ago

What’s the main age demographic at your office? That would possibly determine who wants to play-maybe a newer stern pro?

#8 4 years ago

I dig that idea, might finally get kids excited to go to their dentist.

#9 4 years ago

Does your office have quick wait times or long wait times?

#10 4 years ago

I put an EM in my office and had to disconnect the chimes

#11 4 years ago

I'm a physician and have considered putting a pin or an arcade game in my waiting room but one of my partners said no. He doesn't like any ideas he doesn't come up with.

#12 4 years ago

Hmm. my wifes a dentist too, good idea. Which one are you going to get? Fun house ?

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

I'm a physician and have considered putting a pin or an arcade game in my waiting room but one of my partners said no. He doesn't like any ideas he doesn't come up with.

Haha sounds a lot like me. I dont like my partners ideas either. You must be junior to your partner.

#14 4 years ago

Multicade is a good idea, but I really need to get some pins out of my house and I don't want to sell anything!

The age demographic is a mix of young and old but I would say more older patients.

The wait times are pretty short usually.

#15 4 years ago

Put in a Metallica or Iron Maiden and it will make the drill a lot more bearable.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

I put an EM in my office and had to disconnect the chimes

that's a good idea

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

no partners here, thank god

#18 4 years ago

ARe you a general dentist ? Or peds ? Maybe some sort of hunting pinball machine since lots of dentists like to go hunting, like big buck hunter?

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Hmm. my wifes a dentist too, good idea. Which one are you going to get? Fun house ?

I was thinking Grand Prix EM. It's pretty straight and narrow and shouldn't be offensive to anyone.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

ARe you a general dentist ? Or peds ? Maybe some sort of hunting pinball machine since lots of dentists like to go hunting, like big buck hunter?

general dentist. yeah, lots of dentists like hunting but its not for me. Never been hunting.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from ktrain315:

general dentist. yeah, lots of dentists like hunting but its not for me. Never been hunting.

Well I think its a good idea, be different then other dentists.. too many damn spas and crap.. give em something different.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Maybe some sort of hunting pinball machine since lots of dentists like to go hunting

Not sure I want to know the answer, but why is this?

#24 4 years ago

I think that is a great idea. If it doesn't work out you just bring the game home.

#25 4 years ago

When WOZ came out. An orthodontist put one in his waiting room for patients.

LTG : )

#26 4 years ago

Most of the newer games you might as well be under anesthesia anyway, so why not?

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from ktrain315:

I think it might bother people who want quiet in the waiting room...

#28 4 years ago

The dentist office waiting area is a generally quiet place. Car dealership, oil change place seems a better fit. That said, sharing your hobby with your patients is very appropriate. Maybe include a few pictures of your collection, short write up on how you got started, and put some dampers on the chimes. My dentist likes military history, we talk about it everytime I go in.

#29 4 years ago

I wonder if the tax man, sorry, tax person, will let you depreciate pinball machines in the office???

#30 4 years ago

I picked up a bump n jump cocktail table arcade a few years ago from a children Dentist's office up in New Hampshire. They had quite a few arcade games all set to free play in their waiting room. I think I paid $75 for it and there was close to $50 in quarters in it when I get it home and the lock drilled out!

Sounds like a good plan to me, I am all about free storage.

#31 4 years ago

My wife is a dental hygienist. They have a pin in their kids waiting room. Unfortunately, it's a Hurricane. lol

#32 4 years ago

I thought about putting a pinball machine in the lobby at my veterinary office.

I did not for several reasons. . . the mostly so as not to scare the dogs and cats waiting out there. Its not fun to try and examine a cat that is freaked out, let me tell you.

The other significant reason is the lack of control some parents have over their children. Between the kids stomping on the animal scale, scattering fliers across the lobby, and running around while screaming (all without much concern from the parents) I thought a pin might not fare very well.

I still brought one into work. . . I just put in in MY office though!

5J5A9218 (resized).JPG5J5A9218 (resized).JPG
    #33 4 years ago
    Quoted from ktrain315:

Are you really asking a bunch of pinheads about putting a pinball out somewhere...and for free?? Of course!!

I will play devils advocate, however, and say that it might cause headaches for patients who are already hurting. There is also the chance that it gets beat up and/or needs a lot of servicing.

#34 4 years ago

Make sure that knocker is nice and loud and the replay is set low

#35 4 years ago

As much as I like pinball I'd have to say that it's probably a bad idea putting one in a waiting room. I imagine it will be pretty annoying for anyone not playing it. Your receptionist will probably hate you by the end of the first day.

#36 4 years ago

As a fellow Fairview Park resident, are you accepting new patients?

#37 4 years ago

I wouldn't do it. If you want your dentist office to have a cool toy young and old would play with alike I'd recommend a few non-offensive Arcade 1ups.

#38 4 years ago

Not sure if he still does but Jim Schelberg (Pingame Journal) at one time had a Nip It in his Podiatrist office.

#39 4 years ago

I would think an EM would be too loud; with a SS at least you can adjust the volume.

Side note - my dentist has an original Nintendo Mario Brothers and Donkey Kong Jr. upright arcade games set up in the kids play area and they seldom get touched...would be better in the general waiting area as adults are more likely to play them.

#40 4 years ago

First off, you need a poll for this thread.

Secondly, for how much I like pins and arcade games; most clients, including myself would be annoyed with something like that in a waiting room. It wouldn't take long for anyone working in reception to quit.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from ktrain315:

My staff isn't too thrilled.

Because they’re barely making ends meet while you’re high on the hog with mansions, private schools, luxury autos, jet skis....and now a dingoty dongity F’ing thing in the background while they’re trying to keep your schedule full.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Put in a Metallica or Iron Maiden and it will make the drill a lot more bearable.

you win

#43 4 years ago

Can I take the rest of the day off now?

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Most of the newer games you might as well be under anesthesia anyway, so why not?

I don't agree.

But damn that is funny.

LTG : )

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

I think it might bother people who want quiet in the waiting room...

But many dr's offices have tv shows on that not everyone agrees with. The View was on the last time I was in a waiting room. Not a personal favorite of mine. I would have loved to see a pin on the opposite side of the waiting room. It would add an option for the people who are not interested in what's on TV

#46 4 years ago

If going with an EM, this might not be a bad theme for a dentist's office.

image-18 (resized).jpgimage-18 (resized).jpg
    #47 4 years ago
    Quoted from ktrain315:

What do you think, is it a dumb idea?

Not at all. In fact, if you ever open an office in Philly, I'm switching dentists!

#48 4 years ago

Is the machine going to be Mad World?

Mad World (resized).PNGMad World (resized).PNG
    #49 4 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

In this day in age I don't think anything with guns or hunting is a good idea in a doctor or dentist office.

Most people, even those that have never played pinball understand drop targets.

So.. Big Shot/Hot Shot or El Dorado/Solar City/Target Alpha would keep people entertained and maybe even want to come back just to play. My .02

-Mike

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

In a doctors office sounds like a bad idea, it be a germ transfer device if people didn't sanitize and were sick or coughing sneezing on the glass.
    In a dentist office I think the bells and sounds even the mechanical sounds would be a bit unnerving to some. Just my opinions.

There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-in-dentist-office?hl=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.